12 replies to this topic

#1 PFunk

PFunk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 02 September 2016 - 11:02 AM

Ahoy-hoy,

I’ve been reading this forum for a few days and I understand it’s customary to introduce yourself, so here I am.

I’m 36, I smoke about 20-a-day, and I’m six days into my Champix (or “Chantix” as my American cousins call it – I’m English, by the way) meds.

I started smoking when I was 18 (my friend’s idea to help relieve my stress) and I quit cold turkey for a few years in my mid-20s. That was until my dad died and I thought, “Sod this!” and started again. I kept telling myself that I’ll wait until I’m ready to quit again and do it cold turkey like last time, but it’s been 9 years since I started again and I still love it dearly, so I’m in the position of having to force myself. The logical side of me knows I should quit for the sake of my health and finances, but addiction isn’t logical, eh?

So here I am, trying to dump a habit that won’t let go of me. After a lot of research, I decided that taking the Champix pill seemed like the best course of action.

Anyway, I’ll go away now and post something on the Champix board. It’s nice to meet all of you and I wish you the best of luck!

Thanks,

PFunk

#2 eeyore

eeyore

2014 Avenger

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,587 posts
  • quitdate:
    2014-12-01
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 02 September 2016 - 12:35 PM

Welcome to the board PFunk! You've come to the right place. The support here is amazing. Stay close and post often!   :)

event.png2j3342d.jpg                       

#3 PFunk

PFunk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 02 September 2016 - 12:46 PM

Thanks, Eeyore! Much appreciated.

Congrats on reaching 21 months. That's excellent work.

#4 Smokefreetoday

Smokefreetoday

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,925 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-07-10
  • LocationCanada

Posted 02 September 2016 - 01:03 PM

Welcome PFunk! Good decision to quit smoking. And too this board offers much support, so you found a great place!

#5 PFunk

PFunk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 02 September 2016 - 01:16 PM

Thank you kindly! And congrats on almost reaching 2 months!

#6 abbyin

abbyin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 617 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 02 September 2016 - 02:55 PM

Welcome PFunk :)

#7 Frank

Frank

As good as it gets.!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,652 posts
  • LocationCalifornia USA

Posted 02 September 2016 - 03:32 PM

Ahoy-hoy,

I’ve been reading this forum for a few days and I understand it’s customary to introduce yourself, so here I am.

I’m 36, I smoke about 20-a-day, and I’m six days into my Champix (or “Chantix” as my American cousins call it – I’m English, by the way) meds.

I started smoking when I was 18 (my friend’s idea to help relieve my stress) and I quit cold turkey for a few years in my mid-20s. That was until my dad died and I thought, “Sod this!” and started again. I kept telling myself that I’ll wait until I’m ready to quit again and do it cold turkey like last time, but it’s been 9 years since I started again and I still love it dearly, so I’m in the position of having to force myself. The logical side of me knows I should quit for the sake of my health and finances, but addiction isn’t logical, eh?

So here I am, trying to dump a habit that won’t let go of me. After a lot of research, I decided that taking the Champix pill seemed like the best course of action.

Anyway, I’ll go away now and post something on the Champix board. It’s nice to meet all of you and I wish you the best of luck!

Thanks,

PFunk

Hi PFunk, welcome to QSMB and congratulations, quitting will be by far the best decision for the rest of your life.

I highlighted part of your post... Care to explain what do you love dearly about smoking?   With such strong feelings about  it, it is going to be a very difficult task for you to quit.

Perhaps, elaborating a list of what you love about smoking, and parallel to it start a list of all the good you will feel from NOT smoking, or what you expect to find in your quit will help you body and soul commit to changing your life for the best.

Stay, read, learn and participate around here, it is key to learn about our addiction to be best armed and motivated to find the desire to free ourselves from this awful killing addiction.

All the best your way, I look forward to seeing you around here.

• Jillar likes this

Nov 6, 2011 I decided " I had enough with this sh*t "

I quit because I just got tired of the life under a rock, dark and with not enough air to breathe waiting for the day to get crushed!

Alcohol to a quit is like Kryptonite to Superman

Stop, Think and then React. Not React,Stop and then Think

Practice does not make it perfect, makes it permanent. Practice the right things!

Quitting is by far the best decision for the rest of your life.

If a Doctor gives you 6 months to live, would you start living after the first three? Quit now!

" I am a puff away form a pack a day"

Once you stop puffing or having Nicotine in any form, then and only then your symptoms will stop.

I quit with a frozen turkey. Once I felt comfortable with my quit,  I ate it.

Life is such a good teacher, that if you don't learn the lesson it will repeat it to you.

#8 Jillar

Jillar

Nothing Worthwhile Comes Easily

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,332 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-05-29
  • LocationIn my living room

Posted 02 September 2016 - 03:38 PM

Welcome pfunk, while champix will help reduce the cravings it is not a miracle drug. You have to truly want to quit in order to succeed. Keep reading and posting :)

image.png?base_img=5&size=0&date_yr=2016

1zzrf54.jpg

Things began to get better when I realized I would remain quit even if things never got any better.

Christian99 16 Years Quit

We say here that it is better to be a nonsmoker with the occasional desire to smoke than a smoker with the constant desire to quit. Marciem
Being successful doesn't mean that you'll never GET to smoke again. It means that you'll never HAVE to smoke again.

#9 PFunk

PFunk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 02 September 2016 - 04:15 PM

Hi Frank,

Indeed, it is going to be tough! But I can't wait forever for the mood to hit me, otherwise I could hit 60 and still find myself smoking.

As for what I love about it, it's a very short list and the reasons for quitting are more substantial.

Why I love smoking:

The feeling.
The flavour of my B & H Gold.

Why I want to quit:

I don't want to die before my time and this is one way of helping to avoid that.
Smoking killed my parents (I sound like a terrible superhero out for revenge against cigarettes).
It's very expensive.
It'll be nice to not stink anymore.

I think that about covers it?

#10 Frank

Frank

As good as it gets.!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,652 posts
  • LocationCalifornia USA

Posted 02 September 2016 - 08:04 PM

Hi Frank,

Indeed, it is going to be tough! But I can't wait forever for the mood to hit me, otherwise I could hit 60 and still find myself smoking.

As for what I love about it, it's a very short list and the reasons for quitting are more substantial.

Why I love smoking:

The feeling.
The flavour of my B & H Gold.

Why I want to quit:

I don't want to die before my time and this is one way of helping to avoid that.
Smoking killed my parents (I sound like a terrible superhero out for revenge against cigarettes).
It's very expensive.
It'll be nice to not stink anymore.

I think that about covers it?

Believe me, three months quit and you will completely forget about "the good things about smoking  :rolleyes: ", cause there ain't none, and by that time the benefits will be so many your good list will be insignificant, including the flavor an smell of your b&h  which by then will reveal their real flavors of dog sh*it .  

Real happy you are quitting,  can't wait for the day you celebrate living this mad addiction behind.

All the best your way ! 

Nov 6, 2011 I decided " I had enough with this sh*t "

I quit because I just got tired of the life under a rock, dark and with not enough air to breathe waiting for the day to get crushed!

Alcohol to a quit is like Kryptonite to Superman

Stop, Think and then React. Not React,Stop and then Think

Practice does not make it perfect, makes it permanent. Practice the right things!

Quitting is by far the best decision for the rest of your life.

If a Doctor gives you 6 months to live, would you start living after the first three? Quit now!

" I am a puff away form a pack a day"

Once you stop puffing or having Nicotine in any form, then and only then your symptoms will stop.

I quit with a frozen turkey. Once I felt comfortable with my quit,  I ate it.

Life is such a good teacher, that if you don't learn the lesson it will repeat it to you.

#11 PFunk

PFunk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 04:22 PM

Thanks, Frank! Much appreciated, mate.

#12 krazykittygirl

krazykittygirl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,434 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-08-08

Posted 06 September 2016 - 05:03 PM

Welcome to the board PFunk and congrats on your decision to quit.  I too am on Chantix and this is my fist honest to goodness real quit.  I have tried before but with nicotine replacements and ended up starting back before I even ended with the replacements.  I am in my early quit also and I understand when you say you loved smoking.  I did too.  I hope that Frank is right when he says in 3 months we won't even remember loving them!!  Stay close and ask for help when you need it.  There's lots of great people here.

1470637801_25_1_USD_6_pinksec.png

#13 Jillar

Jillar

Nothing Worthwhile Comes Easily

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,332 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-05-29
  • LocationIn my living room

Posted 06 September 2016 - 08:53 PM

Franks right you guys, as someone a week past three months I was able to sit outside yesterday at the same table with two of my friends who smoke. I was a little worried at first but to my delight I didn't crave one. They were so nice to ask if it was ok to smoke around me too and congratulated me on my over three months quit :)

image.png?base_img=5&size=0&date_yr=2016

1zzrf54.jpg

Things began to get better when I realized I would remain quit even if things never got any better.

Christian99 16 Years Quit

We say here that it is better to be a nonsmoker with the occasional desire to smoke than a smoker with the constant desire to quit. Marciem
Being successful doesn't mean that you'll never GET to smoke again. It means that you'll never HAVE to smoke again.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: champix, chantix

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users