#1 FSchaffer

FSchaffer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 11 July 2016 - 03:02 PM

... and still smoking.

Seems like the first two weeks the cravings were actually less and easier to handle. I did notice the change in week 2 where cigarettes actually started really tasting like crap but I suppose now I am used to that. Last night I had my first dream... nothing real crazy but considering I have either a: not dreamt or b: not remembered a dream in many years, I figure this is worth mentioning. Perhaps the Chantix is not yet done kicking in?

I have chosen a "quit date" for one week from today.

Anyone else successfully quit using Chantix and smoking for 3 or more weeks?

Thanks in advance!

Frank

#2 Nancy.

Nancy.

Keeperbie

• Moderators
  • 12,685 posts
  • quitdate:
    2013-07-07
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 11 July 2016 - 03:16 PM

Hi, Frank, and welcome to the board! I quit on the 13th day of taking Chantix, but I have read others here who quit later.  If I recall correctly, the directions say to pick a quit date between day 8 and 30.

Chantix will help, but it is also important to educate yourself about the addiction.  There is a lot of wonderful information , here.  Dear QSMB Newcomer is a great place to start reading.

Also, you might want to start a thread introducing yourself on the Main Board, lots more people will see it, there.

Congratulations on your decision to quit!!

Nancy

event.png

image.png?base_img=1&size=0&date_yr=2013

N.O.P.E. soldier_girl.gif
The only people who have craves forever are people that don't quit smoking ~ Eric
One puff is too much and 1000 cartons are not enough. ~ Hal

#3 Jillar

Jillar

Nothing Worthwhile Comes Easily

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,424 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-05-29
  • LocationIn my living room

Posted 11 July 2016 - 03:19 PM

Hi Frank, there are a lot of people here that have used chantix. I used it and quit for three weeks. The problem was I wasn't ready to quit. So as soon as I stopped taking it I went back to smoking. It's a great aid IF you're ready to quit.

image.png?base_img=5&size=0&date_yr=2016

1zzrf54.jpg

Things began to get better when I realized I would remain quit even if things never got any better.

Christian99 16 Years Quit

We say here that it is better to be a nonsmoker with the occasional desire to smoke than a smoker with the constant desire to quit. Marciem
Being successful doesn't mean that you'll never GET to smoke again. It means that you'll never HAVE to smoke again.

#4 BoldPrint

BoldPrint

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • quitdate:
    2007-08-22
  • LocationNortheast Tennessee

Posted 11 July 2016 - 07:35 PM

When I quit smoking with Chantix, it was recommended that you stop smoking between the 8th and 14th day after you started taking the med.  I know they've extended it to 35 days, but I don't know why.  

Chantix is not a magic pill that will make you quit smoking.  It works, but you will have to do your part. You will crave and go through withdrawal, but, in my experience, it was not as intense as other quit methods I used.

Unlike some people, chantix did not make cigarettes taste bad to me -- I don't believe the manufacturer makes that claim -- and I did not cut down on the number of cigarettes I smoked. However, I quit smoking on the 8th day and there's been no turning back. It wasn't until I quit smoking that I realized chantix was working. Chantix made my quit manageable and much easier than I expected it to be.

The only side effect I had was I quit smoking. I didn't dream. 

My brother took chantix 3 months while smoking, waiting for something magical to happen.  It didn't and he stopped taking it.  His next quit, he used chantix again and quit smoking on the 8th day.  He celebrated 6 years quit last February.

I suggest you take the plunge and quit smoking.  Chantix is in your system.  You will crave and go through withdrawal, but it will be easier than it would be otherwise.

Quitting smoking is the best health related decision you will ever make.  The sooner we stop sucking poisons into our lungs, the better.

Best wishes,

Susan (aka BoldPrint)

smoked 40 years

not one puff since August, 2007 

• Nancy. and Jillar like this

"Trying is failure with honor.  Don't try to do something.  Just do it. " ~ James Ray

Susan (aka BoldPrint)

Not one puff since August 22, 2007

#5 cbdave

cbdave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,586 posts
  • quitdate:
    2015-10-03
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 12 July 2016 - 12:17 AM

G'day
The champix blocks the nicotine receptors in the brain, they no longer give you the "Aaah" feeling when you smoke. My brain kept looking for that "hit" that didn't come. I did that for 20 days before I finally stopped. It was actually a relief to stop smoking as you didn't get that Aaah feeling, they tasted pretty bad. I'd light up more cigs but they tasted so bad if butt them out so I really smoker less.
I gave up first thing in the morning of day 20. Didn't have a cig first thing like I'd done for years. Sat down with a coffee and looked at 2 cigs in a packet. No I could not bring myself to light up.
Drowned those pr under the tap, the unopened pack from the car got drowned too.
Yes I got the mental withdrawals but they weren't that bad. I still had to fight the mental ones but the champix was the help I needed with those physical ones.
When it can time to stop the champix it was a bit of a non event really one day I took the tabs next I didn't. I was a little worried that I wouldn't stay stopped without there help. The nicotine was gone and my body had changed. My mind was stronger and with the education I'd got from the board I just kept moving forwards.
Well that was my experience with champix, it' was a great aid for me and allowed me to get stronger
Hope something here might help
C

Proud 2015 BadAshes

image.png?base_img=1&size=0&date_yr=2015

If you have just one you will be right back where you started, and where you started was desperately wishing you were where you are right now. —Marvitta

LIVE like someone left the gate open -unknown

#6 lilly2118

lilly2118

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 13 July 2016 - 03:55 PM

I was so scared to try Chantix because of all the horror stories Ive heard, but I am on day 13 I quit on day 9. I probably could've quit sooner because almost immediately I didn't really want them anymore I just smoked out of habit. I still get the cravings but I conquered two of my huge smoking hurdles last night so I'm thinking I got this, but just to be on the safe side I joined this group that seems great, reading everyone's encouragement gives me hope. The dreams for me only lasted a few days, I kind of liked them I enjoy remembering my dreams as I so often cant. The pills made me overly sleepy the first week and a half now I have no symptoms. I did notice the bad taste lessened so I thought I would have a hard time stopping but I just picked a day and did it. I'm 66 hours free :) good luck to you, you got this!!!
  • Nancy. likes this

#7 cbdave

cbdave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,586 posts
  • quitdate:
    2015-10-03
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 13 July 2016 - 08:53 PM

G'day
Good on you!
C

Proud 2015 BadAshes

If you have just one you will be right back where you started, and where you started was desperately wishing you were where you are right now. —Marvitta

#8 dsuppes

dsuppes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 563 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-07-11

Posted 13 July 2016 - 09:16 PM

Hi Lilly,

Good for you! You can do this.   I too am on chantix.  Day 19 and quit on Day 17.  three hours shy from 48 hours  smoke free. Huge for me, since I smoked for 30 yrs and never had the nerve to try to quit. Not once.  I too could have done it sooner, but waited.  The day of my last cigarette, I would just take a drag or two and would gag.  The cigarette lasted all day.  I was going to have one more before I went to bed.  Almost like a goodbye, but couldn't and did not.  I had no desire to say goodbye.  I think I knew I was done.  One day at a time and never again.  That one puff would destroy all I worked for.  

1468263601_30_1_USD_5_bluesec.png

#9 cbdave

cbdave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,586 posts
  • quitdate:
    2015-10-03
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 14 July 2016 - 04:41 AM

G'day
I like that bit.
" I had no desire to say goodbye. I think I knew I was done. "
Says it all!
C

Proud 2015 BadAshes

#10 lilly2118

lilly2118

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 14 July 2016 - 10:53 AM

@Newbie 30 years that's great I wish I could get my dad to quit but he has no desire....I like the goodbye part. I had planned on finishing my pack but couldn't even do it....I just remembered I have a pack sitting at home unfinished I forgot was even there. I will give them to my neighbor tonight, don't need that temptation. The only sad thing is I just bought an awesome Alice Copper zippy at the last concert...oh well it will be a decoration now.... :)

#11 dsuppes

dsuppes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 563 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-07-11

Posted 14 July 2016 - 10:16 PM

Lilly,  how are you doing today? Day 3 went well.  Yes I really did not feel like smoking another to say goodbye.  I read Allen Carr's book and he is right.  Nothing glamorous about a cigarette, so why make it like it is.  I liked his book.  I think it hit it right on the nose with me, anyway.  The only thing stopping me from quitting was "fear".  It was true.  Hope you are doing well.

Debbie

1468263601_30_1_USD_5_bluesec.png

#12 lilly2118

lilly2118

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 14 July 2016 - 11:13 PM

Dsuppes, I am well today, I feel less urges. It almost seems like it was just a bad habit. I am keeping myself busy playing games, coloring and reading ( I am a big reader). At the moment I am secluding myself from smokers, I stoped going outside for breaks at work, Visited no friends until I am sure I can be around it without breaking. I'm still coughing but it's not bad at least it doesn't hurt, which I'm sure it would if I were still smoking. I noticed today when the other girls came back to the office they smelled bad....yuck that was me just last week...I get a kick out of checking my timer and this board if I feel I want one I'm a little over 90 hours FREE!!! I am going to run the cigarettes that are left in my pack over to my neighbor so that temptation is gone as well but to be honest I never even look at them nor want them so for that I am thankful.

Nancy

#13 lilly2118

lilly2118

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 14 July 2016 - 11:14 PM

So sorry, I lost track of what I had written, thank you for asking and is every thing still well..... :)

#14 mei

mei

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,183 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-08-12

Posted 14 August 2016 - 08:26 PM

newbie here. chantix user. 40 year smoker. one hour away from 48 hours quit. cannot believe the 48 hour mark was reached. doing pretty well.

• Nancy. and jordan7 like this

1471024801_35_1_USD_7_blacksec.png

#15 Nancy.

Nancy.

Keeperbie

• Moderators
  • 12,685 posts
  • quitdate:
    2013-07-07
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 14 August 2016 - 09:44 PM

newbie here. chantix user. 40 year smoker. one hour away from 48 hours quit. cannot believe the 48 hour mark was reached. doing pretty well.

Hi, mei!  You are doing great!  Please post a thread on the Main Board introducing yourself and telling us a little bit about you!

Nancy

event.png

image.png?base_img=1&size=0&date_yr=2013

N.O.P.E. soldier_girl.gif
The only people who have craves forever are people that don't quit smoking ~ Eric
One puff is too much and 1000 cartons are not enough. ~ Hal

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users