Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,434 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-08-08

Posted 05 July 2016 - 05:46 PM

Good afternoon all,

This is my first time on a message board so if I don't use it correctly, please don't hesitate to let me know. 

I am a month shy of being 56 years old.  I have smoked as long as I can remember starting out sneaking behind the house with my friends.  I have really only tried to quit once by using the patches but that didn't go well at all.

Being a competitive swimmer all of my childhood, I have now started getting these nasty little things called skin cancer.  My doctor told me that before I have these removed and a possible skin graft on one, I really need to STOP smoking.  Because of the oxygen that is deprived from your skin and body by smoking, healing is not as swift as a nonsmoker. 

I am on my third day of Chantix and so far so good except I still have my usual cravings for my smokes.  I don't really have a quit day yet hoping that I'll just quit after being on the pills for a couple of weeks.  The only side effect I have had is a crazy dream last night.  I was actually looking forward to the dreams as I have read in reviews that people were hesitant to get off the Chantix because they would miss their vivid dreams.  Mine was of my ex husband and his new wife. This was enough to make me want to smoke a whole pack at one time!  Hopefully I can change the channel on my dreams tonight.

Please offer me encouragement and any advice that you may have.

I really want to quit and hopefully live a smoke free, stinky free, healthy life.

#2 Jillar

Jillar

Nothing Worthwhile Comes Easily

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,424 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-05-29
  • LocationIn my living room

Posted 05 July 2016 - 06:20 PM

Welcome Krazy, yes at your third day on chantix you will still be smoking. The first week in fact, once you up your dose next week you should start having fewer cravings. I did chantix a few years ago and loved the dreams but found as soon as I stopped taking it my cravings came back full force. It wasn't until I quit cold turkey that I was able to stay quit. But I did only take chantix for a month as it's very expensive and my health insurance wouldn't cover it (go figure). Anyway, good luck and I hope you have much better dreams tonight lol

image.png?base_img=5&size=0&date_yr=2016

1zzrf54.jpg

Things began to get better when I realized I would remain quit even if things never got any better.

Christian99 16 Years Quit

We say here that it is better to be a nonsmoker with the occasional desire to smoke than a smoker with the constant desire to quit. Marciem
Being successful doesn't mean that you'll never GET to smoke again. It means that you'll never HAVE to smoke again.

#3 krazykittygirl

krazykittygirl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,434 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-08-08

Posted 05 July 2016 - 06:47 PM

Thank you Jillar for your reply.  Fortunately my insurance pays 100% so I will stay on the 3 month program as recommended.  I am looking forward to my cravings subsiding a bit but glad to know it may take a little while longer.  Thanks for your help.

• Jillar likes this

1470637801_25_1_USD_6_pinksec.png

#4 Nancy.

Nancy.

Keeperbie

• Moderators
  • 12,685 posts
  • quitdate:
    2013-07-07
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 05 July 2016 - 07:28 PM

Thank you Jillar for your reply.  Fortunately my insurance pays 100% so I will stay on the 3 month program as recommended.  I am looking forward to my cravings subsiding a bit but glad to know it may take a little while longer.  Thanks for your help.

Welcome, KK!  I quit on my 13th day of Chantix, and took the full 3 month program, as well.  I smoked for 40 years.  If I can do it, you can, too!!

Nancy

event.png

image.png?base_img=1&size=0&date_yr=2013

N.O.P.E. soldier_girl.gif
The only people who have craves forever are people that don't quit smoking ~ Eric
One puff is too much and 1000 cartons are not enough. ~ Hal

#5 krazykittygirl

krazykittygirl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,434 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-08-08

Posted 05 July 2016 - 07:56 PM

Thank you Nancy.  Was that your quit date or did you just feel like stopping then?  I have a friend who stopped after the 4th day but I'm not going to set myself up for that kind of failure.  A couple of weeks sounds like something I may be able to do.  Any side effects for you at all during the 3 month span?

#6 Nancy.

Nancy.

Keeperbie

• Moderators
  • 12,685 posts
  • quitdate:
    2013-07-07
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 05 July 2016 - 08:08 PM

Thank you Nancy.  Was that your quit date or did you just feel like stopping then?  I have a friend who stopped after the 4th day but I'm not going to set myself up for that kind of failure.  A couple of weeks sounds like something I may be able to do.  Any side effects for you at all during the 3 month span?

No, I did not set a quit date, that day was just the day I was ready.  The only side effects I had were the vivid dreams, and nausea if I did not take it with a little bit of food.  The instructions do not even recommend stopping as early as day 4!

Nancy

event.png

The only people who have craves forever are people that don't quit smoking ~ Eric

#7 krazykittygirl

krazykittygirl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,434 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-08-08

Posted 05 July 2016 - 08:42 PM

I notice you are almost 3 years smoke free Nancy.  Congratulations to you.  Do you still have any cravings? 

#8 jebstewart

jebstewart

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 287 posts
  • quitdate:
    2015-01-16
  • Locationsouthwestern mountains of virginia, usa

Posted 05 July 2016 - 08:49 PM

1st advice:  fully talk to your dr about this drug, i am assuming you got it through prescription, that is the only way you can get it in virginia, usa.

2nd advice:  read all the instructions provided.  and somewhere in the chantix thread i posted a huge collection of information....here: http://www.quitsmoki...enicline-facts/  (just reading all of that is a wonderful distraction!)  one of the most important instructions is how to take it, follow that one closely for it is very true.  and do the drug as long as your dr suggests.  mine suggested 4 months with a one month tapering off.  your dr may suggest differently.

having done that you should know that day 4 is hardly into the full effect of the drug (as the instructions should have pointed out).  picking a date is a good thing for your mind while the drug takes full effect (as the instructions should have pointed out).  it shows you that you (your Self) wants this too, not just as a convenience for getting an operation, right?  right.  the operation just gave you a wonderful opportunity to do what you've been thinking about doing for a long time, right?  right!  so get your Self ready and enjoy this wonderful ride into freedom!

now the dreams.  i love dreams.  had wonderful dreams when on the drug that i was able to use to guide myself through not only the quitting but other life things too.  look up 'lucid dreaming' on the internet.  study up on how powerful dreams can be, for this drug really does seem to stimulate dreaming.  mark twain was quoted as saying that dreams that come only once don't matter much, but those that come often have come for a special purpose.  i love that idea and have followed it down, finding it to be often true.  for me dreams have been a major player in my life before chantix and after it, but that is just me, perhaps.

love the dreams, let 'em in!

and be sure to understand this one very important concept:  the drug helps you out of smoking only in part, you have to do the rest of the work.  read that again and again until it becomes your personal 'mantra', for it is the only truth that is going to come out of taking this drug.  any method for quitting has to have this part in it or you will find yourself back to where you probably (i assume) don't want to be.

good luck, for it is always, and simply, just a choice:  to smoke or not to smoke.

keep us posted on your progress.

love you, mean it,

jeb

• Smurf likes this

:wub:

5fea3866e7.png

2dr760j.jpg

#9 krazykittygirl

krazykittygirl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,434 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-08-08

Posted 05 July 2016 - 09:25 PM

Jeb, I had a reply and couldn't get it to post.  I'm just trying this before I type it again.

#10 Nancy.

Nancy.

Keeperbie

• Moderators
  • 12,685 posts
  • quitdate:
    2013-07-07
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 05 July 2016 - 09:47 PM

I notice you are almost 3 years smoke free Nancy.  Congratulations to you.  Do you still have any cravings? 

No, I do not have any cravings.  Every once in a long while, the thought will cross my mind that I would like a cigarette, but I just laugh and push it away.

Nancy

event.png

#11 Kathleen0515

Kathleen0515

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,798 posts
  • LocationDown by the River

Posted 06 July 2016 - 02:37 AM

Welcome KKG! I quit 4 years ago with the help of Chantix. I think I had my last cigarette on the 8th day of the pills, but not completely certain. I know by the time I smoked my last cigarette, my physical desire for them was greatly reduced, but the mental and emotional pull was there for quite a while. That's where this board came into play. Not only did I learn a lot, it helped fill the big void I was feeling. Instead of lighting a cigarette, I logged on here. I, too, had the vivid dreams. They were quit entertaining! No other side effects. I quit taking the pills sometime in the third month, just because I felt I was ready to take the next step. And I was. No increase in cravings at all. By the way, I had smoked for 45 years, never tried to quit before. And never believed I could. But, at 62, there were some health concerns and I felt I was running out of time so I finally found the courage. And what I found out was the anticipation was actually much worse than the actual event. Not saying it was easy, but it was worth it a thousand times over. Or maybe even a million :wink:

• Smurf and krazykittygirl like this

image.png?base_img=1&size=0&date_yr=2012

phpus0IwXPM1_zps54aa894a.jpg"

"Grammy, why are you putting smoke in your body?"

I stopped putting smoke in my body on June 28, 2012. 

#12 krazykittygirl

krazykittygirl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,434 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-08-08

Posted 06 July 2016 - 02:10 PM

Thanks for all your encouraging posts!!  I know I can do this. 

Yes Jeb, my upcoming (hopefully minor) surgery is only a push to make me do this.  I actually have had the starter pack of Chantix in my kitchen drawer since last November and never found the right "reason" to begin.  Knowing that healing will be better without nicotine in my system, I figured it was a good time.  All things happen for a reason right?  I asked my gynecologist to prescribe them for me at my yearly visit last year.  He didn't mind doing it but did not give me any advice as to how to take them or what to do.  I have learned what I know via the internet.

I liked your quote by Mark Twain on the dreams.  I am going to take them for what they're worth.  If it's a good one, I will embrace it but if it's bad, I will disregard it.  Today is my day 4 and will take one at night for the first time.  I'm a little scared of that.

I feel as if I will be lonely like I have lost my best friend so I have started reading "The Art of Happiness" by the Dalai Lama and psychiatrist Howard Cutler.  I am learning how to replace anxiety with good thoughts and learning to let go of things that are bad for me.

Thanks for all the support!!!

• Nancy. likes this

#13 firstladyd

firstladyd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-07-04
  • LocationHouston, Texas, USA

Posted 08 July 2016 - 03:39 AM

Hi, Congrats on your decision and action. I, too, had Chantix in the drawer. I let them sit for three months. I started taking them and chose a quit day, but that didn't work. My first quit day came and passed and I was very disappointed in myself. Oh you should have heard the things I said to me for continuing to smoke. I kept taking the Chantix. I felt the need for smoking was gradually decreasing. I decided July fourth I would smoke my last one and be done. I had been taking Chantix just a few days shy of a month. I did it. Finally, I am a nonsmoker. Some people have to quickly rip the bandaid off. I had to slowly peel it off. Just didn't hurt as much that way for me.
  • Jillar and krazykittygirl like this

#14 cbdave

cbdave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,586 posts
  • quitdate:
    2015-10-03
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 08 July 2016 - 04:12 AM

G'day
The stuff blocks the nicotine receptors in your brain. My brain kept looking for that buzz that didn't happen. I passed my day(s) and on day 20 quit. So your not alone in passing your first dates. Congrats... Comes as a relief to finally take that first step but you'll be right. Just take every day as it comes, all of a sudden you'll find that those days build into weeks, and you'll never want to give them away to a cigarette. It gets So much better, promise.
C
  • Jillar and krazykittygirl like this

Proud 2015 BadAshes

image.png?base_img=1&size=0&date_yr=2015

If you have just one you will be right back where you started, and where you started was desperately wishing you were where you are right now. —Marvitta

LIVE like someone left the gate open -unknown

#15 krazykittygirl

krazykittygirl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,434 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-08-08

Posted 08 July 2016 - 01:26 PM

It's so good to come on here and read encouraging posts.  This morning I was feeling frustrated because my appetite for a smoke has not curbed at all.  I am only on day 6 so maybe I'm being hard on myself but I really thought I would feel something by now.  About the only time I haven't wanted to smoke is when the medicine makes me feel a little nausea.  Just as soon as that feeling passes, I'm ready to smoke again and it still satisfies me. I even get depressed thinking about what I'll do with myself once I no longer smoke.  I may be one who needs to go the full month but am so ready to get this monkey off my back.  I want to be a nonsmoker, I'm just afraid I won't be able to!! 

#16 krazykittygirl

krazykittygirl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,434 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-08-08

Posted 08 July 2016 - 01:33 PM

On a side note, I am not around anyone who smokes except for a couple of women at work.  None of my family smokes, all of my friends have quit, and I'm still hanging in there.  I even find myself not wanting to go places because I'm safe at my home to smoke whenever I want.  How stupid is that?  I'm missing out on life because of this monster.  All signs point to QUIT for a much better life all the way around but I just can't seem to convince my brain of it.

#17 jasjasx

jasjasx

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 July 2016 - 07:55 PM

Hiya!!! I'm new to all this too ! I'm on wk 2 of no smoking ...quit on day 14 with champix, up until the 14th day I smoked like it was going out of fashion ... Living the weird dreams thou !! Don't worry day keep day 14 in your mind, then quit! I've not avoided smokers at all as don't want to isolate myself and it's not too bad ... Best of luck u can do it .. If I can anyone can ... I'm same age as u and have smoked since 15 !! If u fancy a natter I'm here!! It's not easy but it's prob easier than you are imagining !! X
  • krazykittygirl and FloridaPam like this

#18 krazykittygirl

krazykittygirl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,434 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-08-08

Posted 10 July 2016 - 02:52 PM

Jasjasx, thank you for your reply. I started in my second week this morning with the 1mg pill. Funny thing is that I think I'm going to be one of those who this pill helps with anxiety rather than give me anxiety. I googled that and found a forum where this has been the case for many people. I felt nervous, shaky and full of anxiety when I woke this morning but after about 30 minutes of taking the chantix I felt calm and relaxed. I'm still smoking though and still no desire to even cut back. I'm hoping after being on this 1mg that is going to change this. I'm encouraged by your words about day 14. Il be anxious to hear about your quit as it seems you're a little ahead of me. Congratulations on your quit!!

#19 Beny

Beny

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-06-18

Posted 10 July 2016 - 03:07 PM

Chantix works, give it some time. I used it a few years ago and was amazed. At first it seemed a little frustrating because after about a week, although you feel like smoking, when you light up and take a drag, you don't feel anything at all from the nicotine. It was an odd sensation. All I felt was the nasty smoke I was inhaling. So after a few times of lighting up and realizing you won't feel any effect from smoking, you will stop because there is not point in it. This combined with a mind set of wanting to stop works for many people. As for the dreams, oh yeah. It was intense. Every time I got ready for bed, I would think, what movie and I'm going to watch tonight. I liked it. :-) I did however experience some strange mood swings, and that made want to stop taking it. Not everyone experiences that side effect. Its hard to determine if its the drug or the normal withdrawal symptoms. With that said, many people use it and stop smoking with no issues.

Congratulations on making the decision to quit. That's the most important part in all of this. You can do it.

Posted Image

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

#20 Wana

Wana

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,424 posts
  • quitdate:
    2015-12-22
  • LocationDes Moines, Iowa

Posted 11 July 2016 - 01:47 PM

Hi Kitty, I used Chantix to help me stop smoking after 35 years.  Chantix made me very nauseous, no matter what I did as far as eating or drinking when taking it.  I quit smoking on day 7 of taking Chantix, not because I planned to quit that day, but I just felt like I was ready to be done with it.  I then quit taking the Chantix on day 11 because I was so sick of being nauseous (no pun intended  :wink: ).  Also, I never had the vivid dreams that everyone else talks about, so I wasn't giving that up when I quit taking Chantix.

If you're truly ready to stop smoking, which it sounds like you are, you will be able to do it!  Welcome to the journey to sweet freedom.  We're happy to have you with us!

1450746000_20_1_USD_7.2_default.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users