• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 2agirl

2agirl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 01:18 AM

So I gave up trying the patch to help. Was smoking less some days, more days I smoked the same. Swore to god my patches were defective lol (not really). So decided to start Chantix and now on Day 4 of starter pack. It seems to me I am smoking more?? WWhat the heck? Am I just not getting the "hit" I need or?? Good gravy am I going to be ready on Day 8? What is going on? Any tips would be appreciated :)

#2 2agirl

2agirl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 01:21 AM

Also forgot to mention the side effects..geez! Achy flu like, bone aching, nausea, headache every day..oy!! Common I'm sure right?

#3 Nancy.

Nancy.

Keeperbie

• Moderators
  • 12,681 posts
  • quitdate:
    2013-07-07
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 31 May 2016 - 01:53 AM

So I gave up trying the patch to help. Was smoking less some days, more days I smoked the same. Swore to god my patches were defective lol (not really). So decided to start Chantix and now on Day 4 of starter pack. It seems to me I am smoking more?? WWhat the heck? Am I just not getting the "hit" I need or?? Good gravy am I going to be ready on Day 8? What is going on? Any tips would be appreciated :)

Also forgot to mention the side effects..geez! Achy flu like, bone aching, nausea, headache every day..oy!! Common I'm sure right?

Hi, and welcome to QSMB!  I also quit using Chantix.

Chantix blocks the nicotine receptors in your brain.  You may be having a desire to smoke more, because your brain is not getting the normal "fix".   Also, the instructions on my prescription said I should quit between day 8 and day 31.  I smoked my last cigarette on day 13.  Others here quit sooner or later...whenever they were ready.

As far as side effects, the only ones I had were nausea if I took it without food, and vivid (not scary) dreams.

The most important thing to remember is that quitting is still work...Chantix or NRT are just aids.  You have to power through the cravings and withdrawal.

The good news is...if you make up your mind you are a non-smoker, you are!  Commit to Not One Puff Ever, take the daily pledge, and take it one day at a time.

Congratulations on your decision to quit! 

Nancy

event.png

image.png?base_img=1&size=0&date_yr=2013

N.O.P.E. soldier_girl.gif
The only people who have craves forever are people that don't quit smoking ~ Eric
One puff is too much and 1000 cartons are not enough. ~ Hal

#4 Susana

Susana

Work in progress.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,528 posts
  • LocationSpain

Posted 31 May 2016 - 08:34 AM

Hi 2agirl, and welcome to QSMB!

I also quit thanks to the help of Champix. And like you, on the first days I smoked more than usual. It was a frustrating time because I was smoking, but I was craving because I didn´t get any "fix" so I smoked more and more in pursue of a kick that never came.

Then after day 4 and starting with the big pills, smoking not only didn´t provide any kick, it started tasting and smelling horrible. Then it made me ill, and by day 8 I was done with it altogether.

In any case patches, NRT, Champix etc are just a means of help, a crutch, but you still have to do the mindwork and reassure yourself every day that you are doing the right thing for you and that the discomfort is just temporary.

Some of the side effects of Champix are, in my experience, just side effects of quitting nicotine, and just temporary discomforts. However if you feel something is not right, please check with your doctor as these medicines are strong stuff.

Please let us know how you are doing.

:-)

• krazykittygirl likes this

1459602000_2_20_EUR_4.5_default.png

You are not smoking your cigarettes. Your cigarettes are smoking you.

#5 2agirl

2agirl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 June 2016 - 12:42 AM

Keeperbie and Susana..

Thanks so much for your welcome! I agree, the cravings are still there and no I don't appear to be getting the "kick" so I am sure thats why the increased amount. Keeperbie, how did you feel ready on day 13? Had you smoked less? were you just simply feeling ready? I'm really worried I'm going to wuss out on this :)

#6 Trudey4ever

Trudey4ever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 02 June 2016 - 11:41 PM

Hi 2agirl! I quit on Day 5 of taking Chantix. I chose a date and stuck to it. While Chantix is wonderful and has helped me so much, it did not make me quit smoking...I had to do that. I recommend that you pick a quit date and stick to it. The Chantix will keep the cravings from being so bad and they will pass quickly.

Congratulations on making the decision to quit.
1462370400_20_1_USD_5_default.png

#7 rox

rox

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-03-21

Posted 12 June 2016 - 06:13 PM

Hell-o 2agirl! congratulations on wanting to stop smoking!!! It's a job but it can be done. I started Chantix the 2nd of March it was the 21st of March before I had a successful quit. It does take the edge off but you being on here is equally helpful in my opinion. I got nauseated if I didn't eat and drink a lot of water. Then again, it tells you to do that. It's helpful to a degree but ultimately you have to do the work. I also had vivid dreams. I wish you the best!!!!!

image.png?base_img=6&size=0&date_yr=2016

#8 liv

liv

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio

Posted 14 June 2016 - 03:30 PM

I used chantix for 6 straight weeks..now, just thoughts hit me..not physical cravings..The patch never did work for me, not gum..nothing did..

I tried cutting down, I was at 2 smokes a day..yet..in a short time I'd be back at a whole pack.

First time I have ever had this long too..taking each day as it is only. The 24 hour plan alone..don't smoke for this 24 hours..

can't think forever..just dach day because I smoked so many years..I do not trust myself for more than that!

CONGRATS ON YOUR DECISION TO QUIT!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users