11 replies to this topic

#1 Trudey4ever

Trudey4ever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 14 May 2016 - 01:56 AM

Hello everyone! I started taking Chantix on 5/1/16 and smoked my last cigarette on 5/4/16. My experience with Chantix has been amazing. I've experienced no negative side effects other than a little brain fog. I can even take it on an empty stomach and have no issues with nausea. The only difference I feel is that I am very, very calm. The feeling is similar to how I felt when I took Prozac for about a year (several years ago). I am very new to quitting and I know that I have to watch it very closely, but I am thankful that I am not smoking. Everyday is a gift.

There are things that I miss about smoking...mainly sitting on the porch, having a cigarette and chatting with my husband. Since we are both taking Chantix, we just kind of sit around quietly and avoid our triggers. Sometimes, I think we are acting like zombies, but I know that will get better with time. I do have to get control of my eating since I've gained 5 pounds, but I had lost 60 pounds since last September so I expected a little gain.

I am very fortunate to have health insurance that covers 100% of the cost of Chantix. I am only taking half of the prescribed dosage and I plan to take it for a month and a half.

I'm so happy that I found this forum. I love reading everyone's posts and I appreciate all the positive energy and helpful information. Thank you all!!!
  • Nancy. and Smurf like this
1462370400_20_1_USD_5_default.png

#2 Nancy.

Nancy.

Keeperbie

• Moderators
  • 12,685 posts
  • quitdate:
    2013-07-07
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 14 May 2016 - 05:26 PM

Hello everyone! I started taking Chantix on 5/1/16 and smoked my last cigarette on 5/4/16. My experience with Chantix has been amazing. I've experienced no negative side effects other than a little brain fog. I can even take it on an empty stomach and have no issues with nausea. The only difference I feel is that I am very, very calm. The feeling is similar to how I felt when I took Prozac for about a year (several years ago). I am very new to quitting and I know that I have to watch it very closely, but I am thankful that I am not smoking. Everyday is a gift.

There are things that I miss about smoking...mainly sitting on the porch, having a cigarette and chatting with my husband. Since we are both taking Chantix, we just kind of sit around quietly and avoid our triggers. Sometimes, I think we are acting like zombies, but I know that will get better with time. I do have to get control of my eating since I've gained 5 pounds, but I had lost 60 pounds since last September so I expected a little gain.

I am very fortunate to have health insurance that covers 100% of the cost of Chantix. I am only taking half of the prescribed dosage and I plan to take it for a month and a half.

I'm so happy that I found this forum. I love reading everyone's posts and I appreciate all the positive energy and helpful information. Thank you all!!!

Welcome to the board, Trudey!  I also quit after 40 years of smoking using Chantix.  If I can do it, you can, too!

If you will start your own thread on the Main Board introducing yourself, you will receive many more welcomes.  There is not as much traffic in the sub-forums.

Congratulations on your decision to quit!

Nancy

event.png

image.png?base_img=1&size=0&date_yr=2013

N.O.P.E. soldier_girl.gif
The only people who have craves forever are people that don't quit smoking ~ Eric
One puff is too much and 1000 cartons are not enough. ~ Hal

#3 Bassman

Bassman

Don't fear quitting, fear not quitting...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,925 posts
  • quitdate:
    2014-01-04
  • LocationAtlanta Georgia, USA...

Posted 14 May 2016 - 05:27 PM

"we just kind of sit around quietly and avoid our triggers". Very wonderfully said Trudey....Going in day 11 and you have a handle on it...both of you......I am glad the Chantix with your choice to remain smokless is working....So many wonderful pers and benefits to still come.......:)...Bassman
  • Smurf and Trudey4ever like this

<p>image.png?base_img=3&size=0&date_yr=2014

Link to all my nosmoking songs for QSMB:
http://www.youtube.c...=pathagawarts54
+2j3342d.jpg

I think I can - I know I can - I did
You're a post away to stay smoke free today.....
Quitting may not always easy, but it's always right...stay quit......
I gave myself the gift of quitting, I will not take that gift away from myself.......
My time of suffering is over, its the addictions time to suffer.......

#4 Trudey4ever

Trudey4ever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 15 May 2016 - 07:50 PM

11 days since I quit and I'm still doing well. I absolutely consider Chantix my miracle drug. I honestly have not had a craving. We will be traveling to visit family later next week and that will be a test, but I will be fine. My husband is doing great too, but he still has the desire to smoke. He is taking the full dosage of Chantix and I continue to take half the dosage. Thank you all for your continued support.
  • cbdave likes this

#5 rox

rox

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-03-21

Posted 16 May 2016 - 04:25 AM

Hi Newbie. Congratulations on your quit! I am using Chantix also and it's been so helpful. Have had the real vivid dreams but not other side effects yet. I started the Chantix March 2nd this year. After 2 fails I finally quit on March 21. I took my last Chantix April 26. I thought I was cool and then 2 weeks later I start craving cigarettes every day and dreaming of smoking every night. I contacted my dr and went back on the Chantix on May 11-4 days ago. Still fighting the urge every day, still dream that I smoke every night. I have refills so that now I will be taking it for 3 months. The thing that surprised me so much was thinking that after taking it for 2 months initially that I would be ok. I just wasn't. I was thinking surely the nicotine was out of my system. Anyway I think I'll have to have it in my system longer for the craving and dreams to hopefully stop. I wish you the best. I just wanted to share my experience. I've got 2 months smoke free now and I sure don't want to blow it. You can do it and so can I!

• Susana likes this

image.png?base_img=6&size=0&date_yr=2016

#6 Trudey4ever

Trudey4ever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 08:31 PM

Hi rox! I was just thinking about stopping the Chantix when I read your post. I don't feel like I need it, but I don't know how I'll feel without it. My original plan was to take the Chantix for a month and a half, so I guess I'll just stick to that plan. I definitely don't want to stop too soon and start having cravings. I'm glad you were able to identify what was going on and get back on the Chantix. You are doing great!

#7 Smurf

Smurf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,289 posts
  • quitdate:
    2014-09-15
  • Locationwayyyyy down south near the bayou.

Posted 18 May 2016 - 01:44 AM

You're doing GREAT!!! Take it as long as your dr, says you can if it helps you.

Glad to see it's helping you, it helped me quit after smoking for 47 years..But you gotta stay STRONG!!

1410656400_15_1_USD_5_default.png

#8 Trudey4ever

Trudey4ever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 18 May 2016 - 06:54 PM

Today marks two weeks of not smoking. I'm feeling very optimistic!
  • Nancy. and skillfulabbot like this

#9 skillfulabbot

skillfulabbot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts
  • LocationJapan

Posted 19 May 2016 - 06:02 AM

it'll keep getting easier and easier....  congrats!!

1456450200_30_1_USD_3.72_dark.png

#10 Bassman

Bassman

Don't fear quitting, fear not quitting...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,925 posts
  • quitdate:
    2014-01-04
  • LocationAtlanta Georgia, USA...

Posted 19 May 2016 - 01:24 PM

Today marks two weeks of not smoking. I'm feeling very optimistic!

Congrats Trudey........it is so much worth it........Bassman

<p>image.png?base_img=3&size=0&date_yr=2014

Link to all my nosmoking songs for QSMB:
http://www.youtube.c...=pathagawarts54
+2j3342d.jpg

I think I can - I know I can - I did
You're a post away to stay smoke free today.....
Quitting may not always easy, but it's always right...stay quit......
I gave myself the gift of quitting, I will not take that gift away from myself.......
My time of suffering is over, its the addictions time to suffer.......

#11 firstladyd

firstladyd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-07-04
  • LocationHouston, Texas, USA

Posted 08 June 2016 - 08:29 AM

Congrats Trudey4ever. Needed to read that encouragement that Chantix is working for you, and that your spouse is also succeeding as well. Thank you.
  • Trudey4ever and (( bab )) like this

#12 dinny100

dinny100

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-06-12
  • LocationToronto, Canada

Posted 15 June 2016 - 07:14 PM

congrats for you.  

1465747200_14_1_USD_12_default.png