Photo

Chantix/Champix: first two weeks (starter pack)

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Susana

Susana

Work in progress.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,528 posts
  • LocationSpain

Posted 07 May 2016 - 09:27 PM

So after the first three days you doublé-up your dose, by going up to 0.5mg in the morning and 0.5mg in the evening.

Day four and I have very vivid dreams. And I wake up in the middle of the night to go for a wee. But I had this when I quit cold turkey, and I got this when I quit with chewing gum, so nothing to report here... just "normal" quitting side effects.

I was worried about getting depressed or suicidal or paranoid (after Reading and re-Reading about Champix) but I´m super-happy and a tad nonchalant, in the sense that I don´t really give a monkeys about anything, which is a welcome change from my usual self-flagelating-catholic-guilt-impersonation me. I´ve found where the horn is in my car. And I use it. A lot. Idiots!

My hair smells lovely . :-)

• Bassman, Smurf and cbdave like this

1459602000_2_20_EUR_4.5_default.png

You are not smoking your cigarettes. Your cigarettes are smoking you.

#2 Susana

Susana

Work in progress.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,528 posts
  • LocationSpain

Posted 07 May 2016 - 09:32 PM

Week two: Up the dose to 1mg in the morning and 1mg in the evening.

The nausea in the morning is debilitating. I can have a whole hog for breakfast with a gallon of tea and two loaves of bread. I still get nausea.

The nausea is horrible. I can´t drive for two hours after taking the morning pill.

I start searching and googling. This is normal. People stop taking these pills because of the nausea, but they don´t go Cold Turkey, they just continue smoking. I haven´t put up with it for this log to just sissy up, so I just hold on.

My skin looks lovely and I smell really nice. Still having vivid dreams, but I had these with cold turkey, with chewing gum and they must just be a side effect of quitting anyway. I don´t mind.

• Diane031216 likes this

#3 Bassman

Bassman

Don't fear quitting, fear not quitting...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,925 posts
  • quitdate:
    2014-01-04
  • LocationAtlanta Georgia, USA...

Posted 07 May 2016 - 10:49 PM

Hi Susan...Chantix helped with my quit....From the info on Chantix, the depression and other thoughts seem to only amplify (for the most part) if you already have a history of depression or suicide before you start taking it.....I had no problems at all except a slight upset stomach if I did not eat first....Eating first before taking the pill is very important to prevent a bad upset stomach......Bassman

<p>image.png?base_img=3&size=0&date_yr=2014

Link to all my nosmoking songs for QSMB:
http://www.youtube.c...=pathagawarts54
+2j3342d.jpg

I think I can - I know I can - I did
You're a post away to stay smoke free today.....
Quitting may not always easy, but it's always right...stay quit......
I gave myself the gift of quitting, I will not take that gift away from myself.......
My time of suffering is over, its the addictions time to suffer.......

#4 Susana

Susana

Work in progress.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,528 posts
  • LocationSpain

Posted 08 May 2016 - 09:41 AM

Yeah, pantagruelic breakfast first thing in the morning, and then walk the dog for an hour whilst the nausea passes. Eeeeeewwwww.... I didn´t get nausea with the evening pill but the morning pill was horrendous, no matter what I ate or didn´t eat.

The first week or so was really tough. I had to smoke for the first few days, and I can see why: every day the cigarettes made me more and more ill. If at first I kept my normal smoking routine, although i didn´t get the nicotine "kick", out of habit, I soon started cutting down because I couldn´t physically stand the cigarettes. But you have to smoke for between one and two weeks as per the prescription. One day I run out of cigarettes and thought about going out to buy a pack, and just the mere thought of cigarettes, just the mental visión of the packet, made me ill. I thought that since I was still within the first two weeks I would just not smoke and see how it went, and if I really had cravings I would resume my smoking until the end of the quitting period.

I felt great. I didn´t even think of smoking, which was odd as it was still the first week or so. Still the morning nausea so I decided, unilaterally, to cut the dose back to half a pill in the morning and half a pill in the evening. And after a couple of days I´m out with Friends, craving like mad and losing my mind so "bang" Had a cigarette. And got violently ill. OMG so sick I had to go home. That would teach me.

That was it. Never again. I went back to full dose as prescribed. Until now.

I can see why people stop taking Champix because of the nausea. It is debilitating. But when that is the case instead of thinking "this pill makes me ill I will stop taking it and carry on/resume smoking" they should give themselves a chance "this pill makes me ill so I will quit smoking asap so that I can stop taking it asap too - or just go cold turkey",

#5 Diane031216

Diane031216

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-03-12
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 09 May 2016 - 01:12 AM

I also had nausea with Chantix and dreaded the morning dose even with breakfast and liquids.   Have you tried an antacid such as Rolaids or Tums?  These OTC's did provide some relief for me.  Congratulates!  (I'm a newbie also with 8 weeks free.)

• Susana and Bassman like this

#6 skillfulabbot

skillfulabbot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts
  • LocationJapan

Posted 09 May 2016 - 02:32 AM

Yeah I hear you about the upset stomach in the morn despite the amount you eat first or after.   It was hit or miss for me...  mostly hit though.  There were days when I didn't have any feeling of sickness after taking the pill, those days were, "Wow.  I don't feel sick."

You just gotta power through those mornings.

1456450200_30_1_USD_3.72_dark.png

#7 jebstewart

jebstewart

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 287 posts
  • quitdate:
    2015-01-16
  • Locationsouthwestern mountains of virginia, usa

Posted 09 May 2016 - 08:30 AM

the best part is that you're seeing the reality:  smoking does nothing for you.  that fix thing is being cut off just enough to show you the truth.  hang tough, you got this!

and see if you can 'use' the dreams to help you visualize your way out.  helped me tons.

best of luck.

love you, mean it,

jeb

• Susana and Smurf like this

:wub:

5fea3866e7.png

2dr760j.jpg

#8 Bassman

Bassman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,925 posts
  • quitdate:
    2014-01-04

Posted 10 May 2016 - 11:56 PM

Yeah, pantagruelic breakfast first thing in the morning, and then walk the dog for an hour whilst the nausea passes. Eeeeeewwwww.... I didn´t get nausea with the evening pill but the morning pill was horrendous, no matter what I ate or didn´t eat.

The first week or so was really tough. I had to smoke for the first few days, and I can see why: every day the cigarettes made me more and more ill. If at first I kept my normal smoking routine, although i didn´t get the nicotine "kick", out of habit, I soon started cutting down because I couldn´t physically stand the cigarettes. But you have to smoke for between one and two weeks as per the prescription. One day I run out of cigarettes and thought about going out to buy a pack, and just the mere thought of cigarettes, just the mental visión of the packet, made me ill. I thought that since I was still within the first two weeks I would just not smoke and see how it went, and if I really had cravings I would resume my smoking until the end of the quitting period.

I felt great. I didn´t even think of smoking, which was odd as it was still the first week or so. Still the morning nausea so I decided, unilaterally, to cut the dose back to half a pill in the morning and half a pill in the evening. And after a couple of days I´m out with Friends, craving like mad and losing my mind so "bang" Had a cigarette. And got violently ill. OMG so sick I had to go home. That would teach me.

That was it. Never again. I went back to full dose as prescribed. Until now.

I can see why people stop taking Champix because of the nausea. It is debilitating. But when that is the case instead of thinking "this pill makes me ill I will stop taking it and carry on/resume smoking" they should give themselves a chance "this pill makes me ill so I will quit smoking asap so that I can stop taking it asap too - or just go cold turkey",

I don't know how much difference it may make, but my first pill was lunch and second at dinner........Though I'd always eat first, sometimes I'd get a minor upset stomach...never any nausea......I started slowing down my smoking in the middle to near end of 4th week because the chantix was doing its job by blocking the nicotine receptors and I just didnt feel the need to smoke....I had quit a couple of days later.....

I took the Chantix to begin with because "I knew I couldn't quit" and I wanted to prove nothing could get me to stop.....lol....The chantix fooled me......I did want to quit but didnt think it was possible......The Chantix did its job.......so I did mine and quit.....It was so very much worth it....Bassman
  • Susana, Smurf, cbdave and 1 other like this

+2j3342d.jpg

I gave myself the gift of quitting, I will not take that gift away from myself.......

#9 rox

rox

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-03-21

Posted 11 May 2016 - 04:39 AM

Hi Susan...Chantix helped with my quit....From the info on Chantix, the depression and other thoughts seem to only amplify (for the most part) if you already have a history of depression or suicide before you start taking it.....I had no problems at all except a slight upset stomach if I did not eat first....Eating first before taking the pill is very important to prevent a bad upset stomach......Bassman

I used Chantix for 2 mo. with only vivid dreams as a side effect. I did not crave a cigarette after using the Chantix 3 weeks. However I stopped the Chantix 2 weeks ago and am going out of my mind with cravings. Saw my doctor today and she prescribed me 56 more. I hope the crave is not real bad after that. Bottom line is I realize I have to do whatever work is involved. 51 days into my quit and I will not blow it now.

• Susana and cbdave like this

image.png?base_img=6&size=0&date_yr=2016

#10 Bassman

Bassman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,925 posts
  • quitdate:
    2014-01-04

Posted 11 May 2016 - 12:03 PM

I used Chantix for 2 mo. with only vivid dreams as a side effect. I did not crave a cigarette after using the Chantix 3 weeks. However I stopped the Chantix 2 weeks ago and am going out of my mind with cravings. Saw my doctor today and she prescribed me 56 more. I hope the crave is not real bad after that. Bottom line is I realize I have to do whatever work is involved. 51 days into my quit and I will not blow it now.

Hi rox....I understand about the craves....We need to off set them with a substitute. .....many things you can do that have helped others...Chew on cinnamon sticks, take something with small amount of sweets.....some even put a straw in their mouth to replace the cigarette ......My substitute for the cigarette was TicTacks....Orange Tic Tacks.......I went through about 2 boxes a day....that may have been a lot, but it did the trick....

The Tic Tacks took that " need a smoke" taste out of my mouth and that was a very huge help and made it very managable......Bassman

+2j3342d.jpg

#11 Susana

Susana

Work in progress.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,528 posts
  • LocationSpain

Posted 11 May 2016 - 06:55 PM

Hi! I started chewing liquorice sugar-free gum to fight the morning sickness. Now I´m not taking Champix any more, but still chew this liquorice gum at times when I may see a craving coming... that or white wine, depending on the time of day ha ha. 

These cravings are not physical cravings. Or very mild physically. I reckon they are just the usual junkie mind playing games, which may or may not induce some "physically-felt-crave" but mostly I think they are just self-induced, or mind-induced.

Usually running in the morning and riding my mountain bike in the evening do wonders for me. Both seem to be the favouriete substitutes for many on the boards, so lots of people to get advice from and share experiences... I´ll get there too, at the moment my energy level is very low so I´m procrastinating, but I´ll get there.

#12 Susana

Susana

Work in progress.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,528 posts
  • LocationSpain

Posted 11 May 2016 - 07:53 PM

and see if you can 'use' the dreams to help you visualize your way out.  helped me tons.

Jeb? What´s the idea?

Mind you... I stopped the pills but I still have vivid dreams. I don´t ming the funny/odd ones but the last three nights´ films were horror films :-(

• Beacon likes this

#13 Beacon

Beacon

Peanut butter yumm

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,728 posts
  • quitdate:
    9/6/2013
  • LocationMiami, Florida

Posted 14 May 2016 - 07:21 PM

My friend how are you doing now?

event.png

My first post http://www.quitsmoki...hello-i-am-new/

Cats don't smoke! It's bad for their fur!

#14 Susana

Susana

Work in progress.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,528 posts
  • LocationSpain

Posted 16 May 2016 - 06:26 PM

I´m doing fine, thanks. I discontinued Champix weeks ago and only take one pill if I think it is going to be a difficult day. I have 13 pills left from the third pack so I have enough to keep me going for quite a while.

To be honest, I don´t think I´m really getting cravings as such, but a bit of anxiety due to work and family as always. It is easy to misinterpret an anxiety moment for a crave. Non-smokers have anxiety moments and don´t think of lighting up, for us everything seems to be a craving. So far Champix is helping in any case so I´ll keep this approach.

:-)

#15 jimmy

jimmy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,773 posts
  • quitdate:
    3/3/13
  • Locationcleburne texas

Posted 18 May 2016 - 04:19 PM

go susana your doing great   stick with it    you go this 

• Susana likes this
  1. free-cool-smileys-268.gifc07cb18bad.pngz5vdtexo8.png 

#16 Trudey4ever

Trudey4ever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 19 May 2016 - 12:12 AM

Congratulations on a month and a half quit. You've got this. I'm only taking half the dosage of Chantix and don't have any stomach issues...and I usually take it on an empty stomach. I do love the dreams...it's like watching a really weird movie.
1462370400_20_1_USD_5_default.png

#17 krazykittygirl

krazykittygirl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,434 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-08-08

Posted 06 July 2016 - 08:59 PM

I've noticed this feed is a lot about sickness and nausea.  I was scared to death of that because I am easily nauseous by anything and everything.  I have always gotten car sick, can't drink one alcoholic drink without getting sick and on and on.  I am only on day 4 but so far I have not had any sign of nausea?  If I was going to have it, would I have had it by now or does the chance increase once my dosage increases?  Keeping my fingers crossed.

1470637801_25_1_USD_6_pinksec.png

#18 dsuppes

dsuppes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 563 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-07-11

Posted 08 July 2016 - 11:33 AM

Hi Krazykittygirl,

I am on day 10 of chantix.  I did start feeling some nausea after the morning pill when I increased the dosage.  It is not pleasant, but I am welcoming it, because it makes me not want to smoke and I also feel like the chantix is helping.   It lasts about 45 minutes when it does happen.  I am still smoking but not even close to what I was.  Each day that goes by, I feel more confident that I can do this.

1468263601_30_1_USD_5_bluesec.png

#19 krazykittygirl

krazykittygirl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,434 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-08-08

Posted 08 July 2016 - 01:39 PM

Thanks dsuppes.  Good to see another Newbie on here.  I'm on day 6 today.  I finally felt a twang of nausea last night after my nighttime dose so I just went to bed earlier than usual.  After the wave had passed of feeling sick, I got back up and smoked!!  I'm so disappointed in myself and just pray that the longer I'm on this Chantix, the more desire I will have to quit.  I'm just not at the point yet.

1470637801_25_1_USD_6_pinksec.png

#20 dsuppes

dsuppes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 563 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-07-11

Posted 08 July 2016 - 09:10 PM

Hang in there.  I was discouraged after a few days too and posted here.  I started by purposely not smoking in the car.  Yesterday I only had 6 and had no desire in between.  I smoked a pack 1/2 a day.  I also waited in the morning as long as I could before I had one.  I found as each day passed when I woke up, I would only have a few drags before I put it out because it was gross.  Today I decided to wait an hour when I got up to see what happened.  I was fine.  I then had a few puffs.  I only had 3 so far today, because they are gross  I am finding each day I want it less and less and will at some point soon, pick a day and go hour to hour and see how I do.  Fear was what was stopping me from trying.  I am less fearful now.

1468263601_30_1_USD_5_bluesec.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users