• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 StephenDedalus

StephenDedalus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 May 2016 - 02:40 AM

I recently started taking champix as a last resort given that all other NRT therapies are completely wasted on me.

At first they were very successful. After three days I was down to 2 cigarettes a day, and that was only out of habit. 

However last weekend I went out and had a few drinks (alot of beer lol), I felt great and only smoked 4 cigarettes....

However the next day I was seriously ill. Im a big beer drinker, so hangovers arent usually too big a problem, but last weekend was different. I experienced hangover symptoms Ive never had- excessive sweating, numbness in joints, pins and needless in hands,migraine (not headache,,, migraine with bad vision and flashing lights etc)

The champix was already giving me pretty bad side effects (headaches, joint pain, nausea, gum inflammation, nightmares etc), but the hangover was so bad I decided to stop the champix for a couple of days and let my body recover. 

Ive been back on the champix for four days now and although all the side effects are back(plus the added new one anxiety and irritability) the cravings to smoke are back to maximum . Im back to smoking over 10 a day plus all the terrible side effects of the drug.

What should I do?  Stop the drug altogether and wait a while before resuming? Keep taking it and hope it starts working again?

Im immigrating and starting a new job in Japan in 4 weeks, I dont want to start a new job smoking OR ill from champix.

Any advice?

#2 Maggie@6365

Maggie@6365

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 515 posts
  • quitdate:
    2015-08-25
  • LocationN. Ohio

Posted 06 May 2016 - 02:56 AM

I used chantix to quit. It worked but I had a problem with insomnia. I quit the chantix and had anger issues. Still do have some anger issues. It helped me quit and that was going on 9 months.
Alcohol is risky early in your quit. Check out some of the newbie section. Quitting isn't easy, but with it. Good luck.
  • StephenDedalus likes this

#3 cbdave

cbdave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,586 posts
  • quitdate:
    2015-10-03
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 06 May 2016 - 03:26 AM

G'day
The champix works by filling the nicotine receptors in your brain stopping the nicotine from access.
My mind had other ideas and I continued to smoke for three weeks. The cigs not only tasted real bad but they gave me no pleasure. I went for day to day only having a few puffs from a few smokes and finally gave them away.
I just took things a day at a time and the side effects left me apart from the vivid dreams which were not a problem. I blamed the nicotine for the bad withdrawals as it was not trapped by the receptors as it would have been without the champix.
Champix is an aid but you have got to want to give up first and foremost.
I wish you the best cause being a reformed smoker is the best thing I ever ever done for myself.
C
  • MissyCat and StephenDedalus like this

Proud 2015 BadAshes

image.png?base_img=1&size=0&date_yr=2015

If you have just one you will be right back where you started, and where you started was desperately wishing you were where you are right now. —Marvitta

LIVE like someone left the gate open -unknown

#4 Kathleen0515

Kathleen0515

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,798 posts
  • LocationDown by the River

Posted 06 May 2016 - 03:26 AM

Stephen, welcome! From what I remember from taking Chantix. aren't you supposed to smoke as you normally would until you quit? I don't think it's supposed to be a gradual decline. Or, at least a decline you have to monitor. You may have the desire to reduce the amount of cigarettes because they start becoming undesirable but, until then, I wouldn't worry about it. But the drinking is another story. Do you want to quit smoking, or would you rather keep drinking? I don't think there's room for both, at least on a temporary basis. More quits have been lost to alcohol over anything else, Chantix or no Chantix, the more drinking, the less control over your inhibitions. So, I would first recommend discussing your symptoms with your doctor, and secondly, get serious about your quit and make it your top priority. There's a lot of information here that you would benefit from. I hope you spend some time reading up, you will learn a lot. 

• MissyCat and StephenDedalus like this

image.png?base_img=1&size=0&date_yr=2012

phpus0IwXPM1_zps54aa894a.jpg"

"Grammy, why are you putting smoke in your body?"

I stopped putting smoke in my body on June 28, 2012. 

#5 skillfulabbot

skillfulabbot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts
  • LocationJapan

Posted 06 May 2016 - 06:04 AM

Hello.  I have been living and working in Japan since 1998.   When I got here it was a smoker's paradise.  Now it is becoming more and more difficult to smoke anywhere.  So you definitely want to come here solid in your quit.   I have just finished using Champix and the medicine's side effects were very rough.  Japan is the land of drinking and you will be expected to do a lot of it here.   As for me, I've never really suffered from hangovers, but while on champix I often suffered blackouts from drinking... and not even from drinking excessively.  So definitely get solid in your quit before coming over here.  As is tradition, you'll be expected to join a welcome drinking party.

Talk to your doctor.  Even while on champix I could have easily smoked during the whole session, but you've got a set a date and just quit while using it.... Champix doesn't make you do that....

1456450200_30_1_USD_3.72_dark.png

#6 seeking_freedom

seeking_freedom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 802 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-08-02

Posted 06 May 2016 - 09:44 AM

No-one can tell you what to do or give you medical advice, but I can tell you if those things happened to me I would stop taking it straight away.

27ffe01a9f.png

#7 StephenDedalus

StephenDedalus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 May 2016 - 01:00 PM

Thanks everyone.

Waiting to hear from my doctor here now.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: champix

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users