Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-01-13
  • LocationPA

Posted 18 January 2016 - 08:37 PM

I have been taking chantix for almost 4 weeks , i did not make a quit date and i felt ready to stop smoking five days ago.
My question is when do you know you can stop taking chantix ?
I mean i am not planning to stop anytime soon but i am scared that even after the 12 weeks the cravings will come back.

#2 Nancy.

Nancy.

Keeperbie

• Moderators
  • 12,685 posts
  • quitdate:
    2013-07-07
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 18 January 2016 - 09:48 PM

I took it for the full 12 weeks, but I cut down to one pill per day the last 10 days or so.  I kept some Chantix around just in case!  I never had to take another one, and just threw it out a few days ago.  You are doing great, Roxy!!

Nancy

event.png

image.png?base_img=1&size=0&date_yr=2013

N.O.P.E. soldier_girl.gif
The only people who have craves forever are people that don't quit smoking ~ Eric
One puff is too much and 1000 cartons are not enough. ~ Hal

#3 Kathleen0515

Kathleen0515

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,798 posts
  • LocationDown by the River

Posted 18 January 2016 - 09:53 PM

I smiled at your post, because you reminded me of me  :wink: . I spent half of my early quit days worrying about things that never happened! To answer your question, there's no way to know in advance when the perfect time is to stop taking Chantix. You will feel stronger as your quit days add up, and you will know when you're ready. I honestly can't remember exactly how long I stayed on the medicine, but I know I didn't get my third month prescription filled. I was scared, but anxious to just cut the cord and do it on my own. And I can tell you that the transition wasn't nearly as difficult as I had feared! By the end of two or three months, your life as a nonsmoker will not feel foreign to you like it did in the beginning. I would also suggest that you become active on the board because this place helped me as much or more than Chantix did. Great job so far Roxy!

• Nancy., Smurf, Shre and 1 other like this

image.png?base_img=1&size=0&date_yr=2012

phpus0IwXPM1_zps54aa894a.jpg"

"Grammy, why are you putting smoke in your body?"

I stopped putting smoke in my body on June 28, 2012. 

#4 Roxy610

Roxy610

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-01-13
  • LocationPA

Posted 18 January 2016 - 11:07 PM

Thank you!
  • Nancy. and liv like this

#5 Smurf

Smurf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,289 posts
  • quitdate:
    2014-09-15
  • Locationwayyyyy down south near the bayou.

Posted 20 January 2016 - 02:20 AM

There is no set rule when to stop taking chantix in my opinion.

I quit the chantix after 5 weeks, but i had quit smoking after the first week of taking it..

Every quit is different, you will know when it's time to stop taking it..

Saying that, just know that there are still struggles, but just easier in my opinion..

Good luck with your quit, and stay strong!!

• jillrecover and liv like this

1410656400_15_1_USD_5_default.png

#6 Sully

Sully

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • LocationOahu, Hawaii

Posted 10 February 2016 - 11:23 PM

I felt "safe" enought to quit the chantix after 3 months but the doctor recommended going 6 months just to be sure.  i didn't mind.  It made me happy and I loved the dreams. Had to taper off though.

• Smurf, Roxy610 and liv like this
3/2/2013

#7 Smurf

Smurf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,289 posts
  • quitdate:
    2014-09-15
  • Locationwayyyyy down south near the bayou.

Posted 13 February 2016 - 01:35 AM

Ohhhh The DREAMS, i miss the dreams.. lol

• cbdave likes this

1410656400_15_1_USD_5_default.png

#8 jebstewart

jebstewart

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 287 posts
  • quitdate:
    2015-01-16
  • Locationsouthwestern mountains of virginia, usa

Posted 13 February 2016 - 08:19 PM

yes, the dreams were wonderful!  i still have wild and vivid dreams, as is my way, but while on the drug they were certainly of another dimension.  this being the high part of winter in the mountains of virginia and today it is 16 F, feels like 4 F, i am in sleep mode, so 15 hours later i can only begin to catalog all the dreams i just had!

meanwhile, when to quit chantix.  

since i had to get it as a prescription i followed the drs guidance, which was based both on the manufacturers recommendation and his experience with other patients.  what does your dr say?

i was advised to do it for 5 months with a one month taper off.  just passed a year quit.

i would follow you drs guidance on this one.

and, as always, the rest of the story is that the drug gets you the space, the time between your last cig, the habit, you have to do the bigger part, as my dr told me, the mind work.

did the cravings come back?  that assumes they went away.  i found that cravings later weren't as hard as those of the first few weeks, which i think most people find, no matter what method they use.  do you have to give into cravings?  that is your choice, as always.  what you do with cravings is yours and yours alone.  personally i found them amusing, but then i tend to laugh at all things, even those things others might not.

good luck!

love you, mean it,

jeb

• Roxy610 and liv like this

:wub:

5fea3866e7.png

2dr760j.jpg

#9 DoubleJ

DoubleJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • quitdate:
    2015-10-07

Posted 18 February 2016 - 01:26 AM

I took it for 8 weeks and tapered off on the 9th. I was scared of the unknown future too, but it just happened naturally, I just started taking less and I was OK.  I smoked for 30 years and found it relatively easy to fight any craving or automatic habit feeling even when I stopped taking it. I was VERY determined to be an ex-smoker. I still get random pangs out of the blue but I will not smoke ever again and I'm stronger than the pangs, zings or whatever else comes my way. You can do this too. 

Jenn

image.png?base_img=6&size=0&date_yr=2015

#10 Cow_Tipper

Cow_Tipper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • quitdate:
    2014-11-18
  • LocationArizona

Posted 18 February 2016 - 02:10 PM

I took it for only 4 weeks and it was just the morning dose. Chantix made me very nauseous. Best to stick with the  recommended time if you can tolerate it.

Best wished in your quit. YOU CAN DO IT!!!!

post-28084-0-60734300-1419875617_thumb.j

#11 Free Will

Free Will

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 19 March 2016 - 08:19 AM

Great question!  The #3 question I had for my pulminologist!

I was on Chantix back in 2007 and it worked for me then.  One day I walked past a group smoking and I felt sick from the smell.  Then life happened, my brother died unexpectedly and I picked up the ciggies as a way to deal with the stress.  I read a great article yesterday how smoking INCREASES stress.

Back to question.  (Focus is an issue for me on day 7 of Chantix.....).  I asked Pulmy "can I stay on Chantix for a year because I smoked for 40 plus".  He said "we'll see but you will be on it longer than 3 months if you need to be".   I was grateful to hear this - I don't do well with "finite dates" lol.

YOU CAN DO THIS - just reading all the success stories here is pudding proof it will work.  This time is different because I personally am ready to be done.  When I tried the first time (using Chantix as well as a couple more times with gum & patches), during those times I was not mentally there.  This time I am mentally done.  The smell is sickening me and the nicotine all over my clothes is sickening me though many tell me they dont notice, I am starting to notice it more than ever. Not to mention that my COPD has progressed and pulmy is concerned that I can't breathe even though I am on steroids - so that kind of helps me with the "I'm done" decision.

YOU CAN DO THIS.

All the best and work with your doctor.  One last thing I did differently with the new pulmy this time - I told him the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth.  My best friend (with stage 4 breast cancer) came along on the visit with me (she actually set it up for me!).  Ir felt so good to tell the doctor that I chain smoke and I need help and his care to stop.

BEST WISHES to opening poster and to all here!

FW

• liv likes this

#12 DougJ

DougJ

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationVancouver, WA

Posted 30 March 2016 - 06:43 PM

I think I'm looking at a similar timeline, but your post made me chuckle when I thought of Chantix making somebody "Happy".  :shock:  The side effects are pretty well kicking my butt and I can see why this stuff works so well.   You don't want to go back to smoking because you're afraid the doctor will put you on Chantix again. :mrgreen:    Congrats, hope to be where you are soon.

• DoubleJ and liv like this

#13 liv

liv

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio

Posted 04 April 2016 - 02:15 PM

Thank you for your posts..2 days smoke free after 50 years of smoking!

Chantex..one week today. You give me hope..

• Nancy., Kathleen0515, DoubleJ and 1 other like this

#14 Roxy610

Roxy610

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-01-13
  • LocationPA

Posted 05 April 2016 - 04:47 PM

Thank you for your posts..2 days smoke free after 50 years of smoking!
Chantex..one week today. You give me hope..

You can do it Liv! Chantix definitely helped me a lot, few side effects but nothing major and what is waiting for you 'on the other side' is so worth it. My advice for you is to take chantix as prescribed and you need to help it along by wanted to be a non smoker.
Good luck!
  • liv likes this

#15 Guest_antiochus_*

Guest_antiochus_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2016 - 06:07 PM

Ohhhh The DREAMS, i miss the dreams.. lol

Smurf i went cold but i heard the dreams were legendary...

• Smurf and liv like this

#16 Bassman

Bassman

Don't fear quitting, fear not quitting...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,925 posts
  • quitdate:
    2014-01-04
  • LocationAtlanta Georgia, USA...

Posted 06 April 2016 - 02:30 PM

I quit the Chantix into week 5 and took it for only about 4 more days....Don't let any worrying get to you, let the freedom of quitting be the leading force.   Craves can always still come and go, but very weak and manageable.  We manage the addiction by staying smoke free.   Your body needs to adjust to stopping something you did for a long time so we manage it with the positive attitude that we did it, we beat it and we're not smoking anymore.You will adjust to not smoking.....Bassman

• Smurf, DoubleJ and liv like this

<p>image.png?base_img=3&size=0&date_yr=2014

Link to all my nosmoking songs for QSMB:
http://www.youtube.c...=pathagawarts54
+2j3342d.jpg

I think I can - I know I can - I did
You're a post away to stay smoke free today.....
Quitting may not always easy, but it's always right...stay quit......
I gave myself the gift of quitting, I will not take that gift away from myself.......
My time of suffering is over, its the addictions time to suffer.......

#17 liv

liv

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio

Posted 26 April 2016 - 12:13 PM

No smoke since April 3, 2016I smoked 50 years..from the time I was 11. last ten years at least a pack a day. I hated smoking, and I was still doing it..

I added up the money in the butt can..thinking..wow..I pay to destroy myself.. such a smoke slave..I never thought it

possible after so long to give it up. I wanted to be free of it..Now, I'm making it. each day, don't smoke..that is what I tell]myself. I wake up and say

Hey I do not HAVE to smoke today..thank you Lord! Chantex has seriously taken over the cravings..I have slight cravings..nothing like\when I tried to stop on my own.

I felt like I had a monster in me then, lol..or I'd completely go nuts..anyways, I could not do it. Doctor gave me this and it is so working for me.

Worried about when I get off..these posts helped so much..Thank you so much for posting about your earlier times..

• Bassman likes this

#18 Bassman

Bassman

Don't fear quitting, fear not quitting...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,925 posts
  • quitdate:
    2014-01-04
  • LocationAtlanta Georgia, USA...

Posted 26 April 2016 - 12:35 PM

Hey I do not HAVE to smoke today..thank you Lord! Chantex has seriously taken over the cravings..I have slight cravings..nothing like\when I tried to stop on my own.
I felt like I had a monster in me then, lol..or I'd completely go nuts..anyways, I could not do it. Doctor gave me this and it is so working for me.
Worried about when I get off..these posts helped so much..Thank you so much for posting about your earlier times..

BINGO Liv....Chantix did the exact same for me....But please don't worry about what is not going to happen.....makes no sense because you KNOW you are going to keep smoke free....Its what you want....

Your desire to quit will get you there....The Chantix is going to help mask the craves, then get your I don't smoke anymore mindset going....yes craves will come, but your desire is stronger.....and time has weakened the crave strength.....You may still need to compensate the habit of smoking with something else so prepare because the final outcome hugely outweighs smoking......I know you can do it Liv, smoking was hell on me and I totally gave up trying many years ago which I totally regret.....But were here for you as you are for us.....We'll all get through this.....it is doable, it is worth it...so happy for you.....Bassman
  • liv likes this

<p>image.png?base_img=3&size=0&date_yr=2014

Link to all my nosmoking songs for QSMB:
http://www.youtube.c...=pathagawarts54
+2j3342d.jpg

I think I can - I know I can - I did
You're a post away to stay smoke free today.....
Quitting may not always easy, but it's always right...stay quit......
I gave myself the gift of quitting, I will not take that gift away from myself.......
My time of suffering is over, its the addictions time to suffer.......

#19 liv

liv

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio

Posted 21 May 2016 - 08:45 PM

Been off chantix for about a week..I have to check the date, I wrote it down.

Man, I feel sorta nuts today.. but I have not smoked. I don't want to smoke..

so whatever this is I have to learn to deal with me and not feel better or numb

me with a smoke..UGH>>>>>Don't like this part..

Thanx for this board and A place to vent..and all of your encouragement

I am hanging on to that..and praying..

#20 liv

liv

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio

Posted 21 May 2016 - 11:22 PM

Ok..so I  prayed, cried, and wrote all my craziness out..

that worked..for now..bless all and anyone out here..I'm just

happy for people who respond, for their success and that they 

share it..it has been 7 days off the chantix today.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users