Photo

A tale of two husbands...which will you be?

• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#81 Jillar

Jillar

Nothing Worthwhile Comes Easily

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,009 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-05-29
  • LocationIn my living room

Posted 13 January 2017 - 04:05 PM

Ollie, you're in my thoughts. You and Nancy's contribution of this post has helped so many members including myself. Thank you for the updates. And Nancy I hope you're enjoying having Dennis home everyday with you and working on the honey do list hee, hee :)
  • ollie likes this

image.png?base_img=5&size=0&date_yr=2016

1zzrf54.jpg

Things began to get better when I realized I would remain quit even if things never got any better.

Christian99 16 Years Quit

We say here that it is better to be a nonsmoker with the occasional desire to smoke than a smoker with the constant desire to quit. Marciem
Being successful doesn't mean that you'll never GET to smoke again. It means that you'll never HAVE to smoke again.

#82 Nancy.

Nancy.

Keeperbie

• Moderators
  • 12,600 posts
  • quitdate:
    2013-07-07
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 13 January 2017 - 04:22 PM

Ollie, you're in my thoughts. You and Nancy's contribution of this post has helped so many members including myself. Thank you for the updates. And Nancy I hope you're enjoying having Dennis home everyday with you and working on the honey do list hee, hee :)

He does have a list, but I am at work!!

Nancy

event.png

image.png?base_img=1&size=0&date_yr=2013

N.O.P.E. soldier_girl.gif
The only people who have craves forever are people that don't quit smoking ~ Eric
One puff is too much and 1000 cartons are not enough. ~ Hal

#83 Jillar

Jillar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,009 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-05-29

Posted 13 January 2017 - 05:02 PM

Ha,ha! My mom said my dad drove her nuts when he first retired so you're a smart lady to keep working lol :)
  • green meenie likes this

1zzrf54.jpg

Things began to get better when I realized I would remain quit even if things never got any better.

We say here that it is better to be a nonsmoker with the occasional desire to smoke than a smoker with the constant desire to quit. Marciem
Being successful doesn't mean that you'll never GET to smoke again. It means that you'll never HAVE to smoke again.

#84 Frank

Frank

As good as it gets.!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,480 posts
  • LocationCalifornia USA

Posted 13 January 2017 - 05:11 PM

We all have a list, mine is sssoooooooooo loooooong I had to go on strike to save paper, and pencils  :grin:   I really wish more people read this thread, Thank you gals for sharing reality.

• green meenie likes this

Nov 6, 2011 I decided " I had enough with this sh*t "

I quit because I just got tired of the life under a rock, dark and with not enough air to breathe waiting for the day to get crushed!

Alcohol to a quit is like Kryptonite to Superman

Stop, Think and then React. Not React,Stop and then Think

Practice does not make it perfect, makes it permanent. Practice the right things!

Quitting is by far the best decision for the rest of your life.

If a Doctor gives you 6 months to live, would you start living after the first three? Quit now!

" I am a puff away form a pack a day"

Once you stop puffing or having Nicotine in any form, then and only then your symptoms will stop.

I quit with a frozen turkey. Once I felt comfortable with my quit,  I ate it.

Life is such a good teacher, that if you don't learn the lesson it will repeat it to you.

#85 Jryan19982

Jryan19982

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,454 posts
  • LocationUSofA

Posted 29 March 2017 - 04:56 PM

Bump for the newbies.  This is one of the threads that really helped me through rough times.  I hope some find the same.  

• ollie, green meenie and Jennet like this

5db71a551c.png

1461954601_10_1_USD_7_black.png

I GOT THIS

One puff and I'm back where I started. Where I started was desperately wishing to be where I am right now.

1.  If you feel like smoking today, just make it through today and see how you feel tomorrow.  

2.  If tomorrow comes and you still feel like smoking, go back to #1.  

Just make it through one more day!

Any day you wake up and are alive and kicking is better than the alternative.  Do you want to speed up that process by smoking?  Not me.   

#86 Buckster

Buckster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 05:18 PM

58 just 8 years behind, sooooo happy I am here with you all,  you both are an inspiration, thank you

• ollie likes this

#87 Catlover

Catlover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,025 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 20 April 2017 - 09:29 PM

Thank you Nancy and Ollie for sharing your stories. What a difference in their retirements these 2 men have.
So sorry Oliie that you and your husband are going through all this, you are in my thoughts.
  • ollie and Nancy. like this

event.png

30ksjlf.jpg

#88 CWW

CWW

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-03-30

Posted 21 April 2017 - 07:20 AM

Wow, thanks ladies for the post....Very powerful message. Lots of love and thanks for helping me become husband number one. Xoxo
  • Nancy. likes this

image.png?base_img=4&size=0&date_yr=2017

#89 newlifeforME

newlifeforME

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-05-18
  • LocationGreater Los Angeles

Posted 08 June 2017 - 06:44 PM

Thank you for posting this! I just looked at the newbies package and this was the first link I picked.  It certainly puts things into perspective.  Thank you and best wishes!

#90 Hawleywood

Hawleywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-06-03
  • LocationWashington

Posted 08 June 2017 - 08:09 PM

This is really moving. It scares me to think about the possibility that that could be me. Thank you for sharing this!!!

• ollie likes this

918b247167.pngTiny-Tiny-Seal_zpsqhtq7juz.gif

signature_zps73numo3z.png

#91 Nancy.

Nancy.

Keeperbie

• Moderators
  • 12,600 posts
  • quitdate:
    2013-07-07
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 04 January 2018 - 12:30 PM

Dennis turned 68 this week, and is still going strong...helping his brother remodel his house, now.

Nancy

event.png

The only people who have craves forever are people that don't quit smoking ~ Eric

#92 Lust4Life

Lust4Life

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,288 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-09-26
  • LocationSoutheast USA

Posted 04 January 2018 - 01:55 PM

^^ Like!!

KMQ since September 26, 2016.  One N O P E at a time.  :grin: 

#93 ollie

ollie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,573 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 02:15 PM

Dennis turned 68 this week, and is still going strong...helping his brother remodel his house, now.

Hi QSMB...Happy New Year To You All....
Thank you Nancy for keeping this thread running ,to bring awareness what living with a partner with end stage emphysema
And how it effects the two lives...
I am so happy to hear Dennis is well ,and keeping himself busy... I send you both my regards...
I managed to keep Tony out of hospital this Xmas...but we did have a visit from the C.O.P.D nursing staff...
And two courses of steroids and antibiotics...
He has also been given sleeping tablets ,as he was very agitated and found it hard to sleep..also a new antidepressant for anxiety...so now he is very calm and subdued....
Of course the winter is far from over... So it's fingers crossed...
Tony is housebound.. But I also try to stay indoors as much as I can,not to carry germs home with me.we fear another hour of pneumonia would be fatal.
If your a newbie here,and havnt read this thread,I strongly advice you do...and remind yourself the wonderful gift of freedom ,you are giving yourself...never doubt...you are giving up nothing...and gaining so much...KTQ....xxx
  • Rozuki likes this

event.png

#94 Nancy.

Nancy.

Keeperbie

• Moderators
  • 12,600 posts
  • quitdate:
    2013-07-07
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 04 January 2018 - 02:19 PM

Hi QSMB...Happy New Year To You All....
Thank you Nancy for keeping this thread running ,to bring awareness what living with a partner with end stage emphysema
And how it effects the two lives...
I am so happy to hear Dennis is well ,and keeping himself busy... I send you both my regards...
I managed to keep Tony out of hospital this Xmas...but we did have a visit from the C.O.P.D nursing staff...
And two courses of steroids and antibiotics...
He has also been given sleeping tablets ,as he was very agitated and found it hard to sleep..also a new antidepressant for anxiety...so now he is very calm and subdued....
Of course the winter is far from over... So it's fingers crossed...
Tony is housebound.. But I also try to stay indoors as much as I can,not to carry germs home with me.we fear another hour of pneumonia would be fatal.
If your a newbie here,and havnt read this thread,I strongly advice you do...and remind yourself the wonderful gift of freedom ,you are giving yourself...never doubt...you are giving up nothing...and gaining so much...KTQ....xxx

((((Ollie))))

Nancy

event.png

#95 brand.new.ela

brand.new.ela

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • LocationBerlin, Germany

Posted 04 January 2018 - 02:45 PM

Ollie, thank you for this story. It's very moving. I wish you all the best.

• ollie likes this

event.png

30ksjlf.jpg

#96 Jillar

Jillar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,009 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-05-29

Posted 04 January 2018 - 05:40 PM

Happy birthday Dennis :)​ And I wish you and Tony the best Ollie......

1zzrf54.jpg

#97 Jennet

Jennet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-12-20
  • LocationOut there somewhere in the UK

Posted 04 January 2018 - 10:22 PM

Many,​ many thanks to Nancy and Ollie for putting this up in the first instance and for keep on bumping it for Newbies....   it is VERY good and quite hard hitting...  

Hugs Ollie...   J

Older than dust.......    :P 

Stopped smoking for 2nd time 20th Dec 2017 @ 17:45pm after putting out my last fag!   Was  9mths, 2wks, 5days, 1hr and 31 minutes previously, and had saved £3,085 approximately....   Crikey... what did I do with all that money....   All I know is that I spent it!!

th_penguins.gif   th_tiny.jpg th_Nope.gif th_happydancenun.gif

30ksjlf.jpg        th_sisyphus.gif     Not One Puff Ever again.....

Cigarettes were never the anchors in our lives that hold us steady....  they were the ropes that kept us tied to the dock while life sailed by! - jwg

It is not because you quit...it is because you smoked.  It will pass! -  Nancy

#98 Barb_S

Barb_S

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • quitdate:
    2018-01-01
  • LocationMassachusetts USA

Posted 05 January 2018 - 02:45 AM

This is so humbling. I can only pray for Ollie to keep her strength and faith. Such a sad story  that also gives me strength.( I read it all) and I'll keep it close to my heart. 

thank you Nancy and Ollie for sharing your stories. 

#99 neverland

neverland

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 10:07 PM

Thank you for this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users