Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 287 posts
  • quitdate:
    2015-01-16
  • Locationsouthwestern mountains of virginia, usa

Posted 04 October 2015 - 04:27 AM

i love to search out things.  a thread asked about weight gain from chantix (the name i will use) and i could not find any science, just anecdotal information, meaning not provable, but a possibility.

that led me to see if i could find facts.  my threshold for 'facts' is the source and then cross referencing that source.  what i share here is what was left over after i discounted things that did not meet my threshold for facts.  enjoy!

the manufacture:

http://www.chantix.com

i'll take them with a grain of hesitation, but somehow one must suspend doubt when getting info from your drug dealer, right?  right.  for me the drug was my general practitioners' (dr) suggestion.  i trust him.  and as most of the literature suggests 'you should discuss the taking of this drug with your doctor'.  

an easy to read overview of the drug from a source that is used by my insurance carrier:

http://www.webmd.com...ix-oral/details

another easy to read overview that i felt confident about for my drug store sends me here:

http://www.drugsdb.com/rx/chantix/

the united states national medical library, which had tons of information:

http://www.ncbi.nlm....th/PMHT0012611/

one could get lost here....uhmm...i did:

http://www.ncbi.nlm....d/?term=chantix

and then, here in america, we have the food and drug administration, also known as the FDA.  i know how it works (ha...yes, money....but....):  the company brings in their information which supposedly non company drs (we the peoples' drs) reads, maybe even does some tests on and researches for other drs/scientist that are doing test/research on the drug.  that being said, i did find their information vast and useful AND very much sounding like the company from time to time:

http://www.fda.gov/D...s/ucm106540.htm

and i swear this is the paper that came with the box, you know the one, that has all that little mouse print that really explains everything if your at least a first year med student....which i'm not, but i can look stuff up....but for this old guy it was much easier to read then that little paper!

http://www.accessdat...s012s013lbl.pdf

now all this info is just a start for you can hit all sorts of tabs at each site---except the pdf---so if nothing more it is a great distraction.  more importantly i hope it will help a newbie either thinking or just starting chantix to get a good idea of what they are in for before we all start sharing the anecdotal stuff....the best part, right?  right.

oh!  and, of course, music while you read....duh, right?  right!

for the classical mind:

for the complicated mind:

love you all, mean it,

jeb

• thinkfree! likes this

:wub:

5fea3866e7.png

2dr760j.jpg

#2 Bassman

Bassman

Don't fear quitting, fear not quitting...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,925 posts
  • quitdate:
    2014-01-04
  • LocationAtlanta Georgia, USA...

Posted 04 October 2015 - 02:21 PM

Good info Jeb.....My main concern when I took it was the effects warning on just about every page.....They want to make sure you understand what effects you could get......I was apprehensive when I took it and was constantly checking myself for any side effects.....Only thing I got was a slight upset stomach if I didn't eat first, and one funny dream talking with a turtle....... Other than that, it did its job to block the receptors and was a tremendous help during the first few withdrawal days......That with my determination and wanting to quit got my sticky quit going.

As a side note...everyone is different so one persons side effect isn't everyones.........Bassman
  • Smurf likes this

<p>image.png?base_img=3&size=0&date_yr=2014

Link to all my nosmoking songs for QSMB:
http://www.youtube.c...=pathagawarts54
+2j3342d.jpg

I think I can - I know I can - I did
You're a post away to stay smoke free today.....
Quitting may not always easy, but it's always right...stay quit......
I gave myself the gift of quitting, I will not take that gift away from myself.......
My time of suffering is over, its the addictions time to suffer.......

#3 jebstewart

jebstewart

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 287 posts
  • quitdate:
    2015-01-16

Posted 04 October 2015 - 05:35 PM

thanks bass!

yes, as with all drugs there are extensive cautions since, as you said, reactions are different for different people.  all the drugs we take are based on averages and a bit of long term study (and a question i ponder often:  i'm not a monkey or rabbit....until these drugs get out into the general population, it is really hard to conclude how many adverse effects might not have been found/discovered).  that being said, the interesting complexity of chantix is that your body is already going through changes just from the fact of no more smoking, no more getting the whole wild collection of chemicals from that alone.  toss in this drug and you add another set of parameters.

what interested me most is that in the first few weeks it is hard to tell what is the withdrawal and the chantix.  what is interesting to me is that the longer you do the drug the greater your chances of success...if you can ride out the drug effects/affects.  the complete cut off of physical desire was what was amazing for me.  no more of that 7 seconds and then you feel the feelings that make this addiction so insidious, when it hits the dope i mean section of your brain.  this cutting off of that ability is what makes chantix so interesting.  but all the other stuff....it is why my dr suggested it as a last attempt to get some time for me to get my brain in order---amid all the disorder!

some of the literature suggested, and why the FDA made pfizer put new labeling on it, is that when you cut off the dope i mean center you also risk other things happening to your mood swings, which were/are already 'amped' up by the stopping of ingesting nicotine and the other chemicals that come with smoking/chewing.  in essence, you may not feel as happy as usual, or things that brought you great joy may not while on the drug.

another interesting thing that i came across was the dropping out of the drug too quickly.  it seems that as you taper up you should taper down.  it does not stay long in the system, just a few days, but the residual brain chemistry change can last a bit longer and thus lead to some problems, which i have read from those who just stopped using the drug for one reason or another.  i thought that was a compelling fact.

in the end though, as i often repeat and as the dr suggested, the drug only gives you some time to get your thoughts in order.  when it is over you are on your own, yet once again.  to face what you 'think' about the addiction/habit.  that is why it is so important to do the mind work while the drug does the chemical disconnect work.

i did chuckle on your one dream, bass....i had thousands of dreams.  lovely, almost overwhelming, amounts of images, feelings, patterns, colors, smells.  of course, i started it in january, which for my lifestyle is survival time as the cold takes over my world.  i sleep 12 to 15 hours during the deep winter, so plenty of time to dream!

my hope with looking all this stuff up was to give our chantix quitters some thoughts to muddle through with as this powerful drug does its' almost magic thing....for in the end the only wizards here are us and our great mental powers---don't ignore the person behind the curtain...  my hope was for it to be useful to put in one place the most current info i could find on the drug.

and this little ditty was playing as i wrote:

now let's rawk our quits!

love you, mean it,

jeb

• Bassman, Smurf and thinkfree! like this

5fea3866e7.png

2dr760j.jpg

#4 jebstewart

jebstewart

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 287 posts
  • quitdate:
    2015-01-16

Posted 03 November 2015 - 08:14 AM

uhm.  

yeah.

love you, mean it,

jeb

• thinkfree! likes this

5fea3866e7.png

2dr760j.jpg

#5 jebstewart

jebstewart

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 287 posts
  • quitdate:
    2015-01-16

Posted 13 February 2016 - 08:46 PM

no ego here....just the facts..... laughing-happy-cat-smiley-emoticon.gif

5fea3866e7.png

2dr760j.jpg

#6 Smurf

Smurf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,285 posts
  • quitdate:
    2014-09-15
  • Locationwayyyyy down south near the bayou.

Posted 16 February 2016 - 01:30 AM

Although i can't get as philosophical as you in my experiences with chantix, i will say..

Oh what a trip it's been..

I had never experienced anything that just took the edge off quitting smoking like this drug. I owe a good potion of my quit to it.

( Although you still have to wanna quit and it does take some effort on our part.)

The side effects were very minimal to me, upset stomach if i didn't eat while taking it, and of course the DREAMS. ( Remember i told you what to expect from the Dreams.)

The dreams aren't bad. In fact most were very enjoyable, but for those dreams that was not, you just had to remind yourself that it was just a dream.

I would recommend chantix to anyone who has thoughts of quitting..

After 47 years of smoking, i did it.. So can you!!!

• Roxy610 and thinkfree! like this

1410656400_15_1_USD_5_default.png

#7 cbdave

cbdave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,584 posts
  • quitdate:
    2015-10-03
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 16 February 2016 - 10:46 AM

G'day
Totally agree. It takes the edge of withdrawals and gives you the extra energy to fight the habit. 40 years of habit for me.
I still think it's amazing, to be a "reformed" nicotine junky. Every day I find another thing to be grateful for.
Champix helps me with my quit and I'm happy to be here now with 4 1/2 months of quit behind me
C.
  • Smurf likes this

Proud 2015 BadAshes

image.png?base_img=1&size=0&date_yr=2015

If you have just one you will be right back where you started, and where you started was desperately wishing you were where you are right now. —Marvitta

LIVE like someone left the gate open -unknown

#8 jebstewart

jebstewart

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 287 posts
  • quitdate:
    2015-01-16

Posted 27 February 2016 - 10:44 PM

oh the dreams!  twisted still every once in awhile when it comes to smoking.  i dream other dreams now, but still a smoking one comes every now and then.  the last one had me laughing so hard as my body was floating in pieces.  in my hand was a cig, but it couldn't find my mouth.  i laughed so hard in the dream that i awoke myself!

love it, mean it,

jeb

5fea3866e7.png

2dr760j.jpg

#9 Free Will

Free Will

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 05:20 PM

Dear Jeb and all,

Excellent thread - just what I was looking for as I am on day 7 of Chantix.  I smoked as per instructions but cannot get the mental "nicotine orgasm" (sorry! that is how I explained it to my hubby of 35 years!); been smoking 42 years.

I will be an ex-smoker but today I am feeling vunerable.

Thanks for the great links and the music!  Music feeds the soul! : )

FW

• Smurf likes this

#10 Smurf

Smurf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,285 posts
  • quitdate:
    2014-09-15
  • Locationwayyyyy down south near the bayou.

Posted 18 March 2016 - 08:46 PM

Free Will,

1st, CONGRATS on making the decision to quit !

You can do this, i smoked 47 years and did it with the help of chantix, it's not easy peasy, you will have good days and some not so good.

When you decide to put the last cig. out, make a vow to yourself that you can never take another puff again.

It does and WILL get better, let us know if we can help in anyway.

Wishing you the best..

1410656400_15_1_USD_5_default.png

#11 Free Will

Free Will

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 19 March 2016 - 07:57 AM

Thank you kindly Smurf.  Your name rhymes with mine lol - well it is 4 am in the morning!  The chantix is making me VERY tired -  otherwise no side affects and I can use the sleep because I have been taking steroid under care of doctor for a good 2 months now.  Looking forward to tapering off prednisone too!

47 years - congrats to you Smurf.  Gives me HOPE.  I will do this as the dr. said I really don't have a choice or I will be dependent upon oxygen in a few short years.  I have a 14 year old at home to think about.   The triggers are a "beatch" but the Chantix surely takes the edge off - thanks for your well wishes.

I'll be hanging around - I know I'll need all of you and I am good with asking for help.  I used to shy away from asking for help ........" I CAN DO THIS MYSELF"......BUT this is too big to go at it alone!

I feel at home already.

Thanks again.

Marie

Free Will is the name I picked to post.

• Smurf likes this

#12 jebstewart

jebstewart

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 287 posts
  • quitdate:
    2015-01-16

Posted 05 July 2016 - 09:07 PM

lol...yesssss the 'orgasm', freewill!  

i was telling my dr the other day if i could figure out how to masturbate as many times a day i smoked i would be just fine!  he chuckled and pointed out that the deep raspy is now gone...  when asked about the rest of the possible damage, well, he just smiled and said it was better i no longer smoked.  such a great doc!

orgasm....tickled my....er...well....funny bone.....(spell check!)

YES!  there is laughter in quitting!  i swear there is!

keep informed, the rest will follow.

choose wisely.

love you, mean it,

jeb

5fea3866e7.png

2dr760j.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users