Photo

Why is nicotine such a small part of the addiction?

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#21 Autumn

Autumn

(ノ◕ヮ◕)⊃━━☆゚・゚✧

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 829 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-11-01

Posted 21 March 2017 - 07:42 PM

I am getting a little tired of you putting out this BS when people here are trying to overcome their addiction to Nicotine. You are giving out unfounded information and it is not appreciated on this forum.

You are obviously no expert on nicotine addiction and I would appreciate if you keep you conspiracy theories and the subject about violent diarrhea to possibly a different forum, where they have an interest in discussing those subjects.

If you continue, your posts will be moved to pointless and if you start with even more bizarre advice and not focus directly on your quit and accept advice from the more knowledgeable about the the basic way to quit smoking, then you may have to leave the board altogether.

I decided to take to researching the alleged unfounded information by doing some research. I made sure to only look at those articles/studies that have been peer reviewed and credibly published.

8yi0so.png

Also, there are various medical professionals backed by peer research that have spoken on nicotine working in a similar manner to how ramcon suggests, such as Joseph DiFranza, a medical doctor who has specialized in tobacco studies since 1980, and Dr. Peter Killeen, a credited behavioral neuroscientist who has published quite a few studies on addiction that coincide with his focus on behavioral conditioning / incentive. To back my statements up, I'll include some links below that document their status and credibility. They both have some interesting lectures on their findings available on YouTube and other video medias. I have watched them, but I won't share them or links to them here, just incase they are somehow inappropriate (they do mention certain devices). Both DiFranza and Killeen agree that for smokers, nicotine is an addictive agent. DiFranza focuses on the toxicity of nicotine on its own. Peter Killeen has done more research on the effects of nicotine on the non-smoking brain and both fully supports and directly states the idea that rancom suggested about how "In fact, to never smokers, it is nearly impossible to get addicted to pure nicotine in any form." It's important to note, however, that he stresses that because no one to date has smoked pure nicotine on its own versus tobacco as a whole, that there are no grounds to argue that nicotine is harmless, regardless of how addictive it may or may not be. He also stresses that the reasons behind nicotine being essentially non-addictive to never smokers has to do with the chemical changes that occur in the brain when someone ingests tobacco products. Feel free to search for their lectures on YouTube if you are interested, it's interesting stuff. :)

Credibility Links:

https://profiles.uma.../display/133044
https://www.abainter...terkilleen.aspx

As for the idea that nicotine is being researched as a viable drug for certain conditions, absolutely. If you google it you'll see tons of stuff pop up where nicotine (not tobacco, but nicotine) is being considered medicinally to aid diseases, two bid ones being Parkinsons and schizophrenia. There's a ton of published, credible research online to back that up. Check out "nicotine medicinal Parkinsons" or "nicotine medicinal schizophrenia" on Google if you want to see more.

I'll include some of the results I've found, since the burden of proof is on the one making their claim. :P
https://today.duke.e...edicaluses.html >> nicotine therapy considered for parkinsons/altzheimers

https://deepblue.lib...e=1&isAllowed=y >> nicotine consideration for parkinsons

http://umm.edu/healt...kinsons-disease >> cites nicotine as a possible protective factor for parkinsons

https://www.georgeto...e-nicotine.html >> nicotine may slow progression of alzheimer's

https://web.as.uky.e...cotineSchiz.pdf >> nicotine and its interactive properties with schizophenia

https://dspace.libra...ndle/10968/1744 >> nicotine's neurobiological effects on schizophrenic selective attention

etc etc

• avian3 and Jennet like this

giphy.gif
            *2016 Butt Kickers*

#22 avian3

avian3

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 15,508 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 21 March 2017 - 09:35 PM

I decided to take to researching the alleged unfounded information by doing some research. I made sure to only look at those articles/studies that have been peer reviewed and credibly published.

8yi0so.png

Also, there are various medical professionals backed by peer research that have spoken on nicotine working in a similar manner to how ramcon suggests, such as Joseph DiFranza, a medical doctor who has specialized in tobacco studies since 1980, and Dr. Peter Killeen, a credited behavioral neuroscientist who has published quite a few studies on addiction that coincide with his focus on behavioral conditioning / incentive. To back my statements up, I'll include some links below that document their status and credibility. They both have some interesting lectures on their findings available on YouTube and other video medias. I have watched them, but I won't share them or links to them here, just incase they are somehow inappropriate (they do mention certain devices). Both DiFranza and Killeen agree that for smokers, nicotine is an addictive agent. DiFranza focuses on the toxicity of nicotine on its own. Peter Killeen has done more research on the effects of nicotine on the non-smoking brain and both fully supports and directly states the idea that rancom suggested about how "In fact, to never smokers, it is nearly impossible to get addicted to pure nicotine in any form." It's important to note, however, that he stresses that because no one to date has smoked pure nicotine on its own versus tobacco as a whole, that there are no grounds to argue that nicotine is harmless, regardless of how addictive it may or may not be. He also stresses that the reasons behind nicotine being essentially non-addictive to never smokers has to do with the chemical changes that occur in the brain when someone ingests tobacco products. Feel free to search for their lectures on YouTube if you are interested, it's interesting stuff. :)

Credibility Links:

https://profiles.uma.../display/133044
https://www.abainter...terkilleen.aspx

As for the idea that nicotine is being researched as a viable drug for certain conditions, absolutely. If you google it you'll see tons of stuff pop up where nicotine (not tobacco, but nicotine) is being considered medicinally to aid diseases, two bid ones being Parkinsons and schizophrenia. There's a ton of published, credible research online to back that up. Check out "nicotine medicinal Parkinsons" or "nicotine medicinal schizophrenia" on Google if you want to see more.

I'll include some of the results I've found, since the burden of proof is on the one making their claim. :P
https://today.duke.e...edicaluses.html >> nicotine therapy considered for parkinsons/altzheimers

https://deepblue.lib...e=1&isAllowed=y >> nicotine consideration for parkinsons

http://umm.edu/healt...kinsons-disease >> cites nicotine as a possible protective factor for parkinsons

https://www.georgeto...e-nicotine.html >> nicotine may slow progression of alzheimer's

https://web.as.uky.e...cotineSchiz.pdf >> nicotine and its interactive properties with schizophenia

https://dspace.libra...ndle/10968/1744 >> nicotine's neurobiological effects on schizophrenic selective attention

etc etc

I will take a look at these when I have nothing but time to read in a couple of days.  :)

QUIT September 14, 2010

event.png

#23 Autumn

Autumn

(ノ◕ヮ◕)⊃━━☆゚・゚✧

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 829 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-11-01

Posted 22 March 2017 - 12:06 AM

^^ Like. :P :)

• avian3 likes this

giphy.gif
            *2016 Butt Kickers*

#24 lisapoker

lisapoker

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 11:59 AM

I agree with the nicotine point. Nicotine is mostly out of your body in 12 hours or so....so how do explain sleeping at night?
I took Alan cars class in NYC and I do believe it is more habit. Why would you wear a patch or chew gum. It is like giving a alcoholic some drinks to get off alcohol...we don't do that do we? Yes, I realize that you are cutting out the tar and chemicals with the gum and so on but, honestly I have a friend who is chewing 40 pieces of a gum a day that only smoked 10 to 15 a day!

I know I'm going to get some bashing. But, think about it, please.

I was a chain smoker when I drank , then, maybe 5 one day or 2 one day and if I left my house for 10 hours a day I did not take or crave a cigerette. When I sat on my terrace, needed a cig. Talked on the phone , needed a cig.

People are different kind of smokers.
I also have a friend that smokes 2 packs a day. Now she is addicted to nicotine but, she believes that in her mind more than me and tells herself that all day.

It is not just being addicted to nicotine and if you really think that you will never quit is my belief.

#25 GraceLove

GraceLove

Truly Free

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-02-08
  • LocationUSA

Posted 23 March 2017 - 03:25 PM

Nicotine in and of itself is an extremely addictive substance. Could it have benefits when used in a specific way with specific dosages for a specific time frame? Sure...why not? There are hundreds of medications/substances that are extremely addictive that have a place in health care but only under certain circumstances.

So...the people that are arguing that it is not a nicotine addiction...do you really believe that you just have a habit of bringing your hand to your mouth over and over and over again while inhaling smoke? It's just a habit? That seems silly. Why would you do a movement that is absolutely ridiculous unless you were getting something out of it...a nicotine fix. Of course, the habit is part of it...but the habit wouldn't exist if it wasn't for the addiction.

I don't understand why people don't want to say "I am addicted to nicotine." I am an addict and it is only in admitting this fact that I will be able to recover.

• MissyCat, Jillar, FloridaPam and 3 others like this

image.png?base_img=2&size=0&date_yr=2017

30ksjlf.jpg

#26 Reisen

Reisen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 502 posts
  • quitdate:
    2014-09-25
  • LocationGermany

Posted 17 June 2017 - 08:42 AM

Nicotine in and of itself is an extremely addictive substance. Could it have benefits when used in a specific way with specific dosages for a specific time frame? Sure...why not? There are hundreds of medications/substances that are extremely addictive that have a place in health care but only under certain circumstances.

So...the people that are arguing that it is not a nicotine addiction...do you really believe that you just have a habit of bringing your hand to your mouth over and over and over again while inhaling smoke? It's just a habit? That seems silly. Why would you do a movement that is absolutely ridiculous unless you were getting something out of it...a nicotine fix. Of course, the habit is part of it...but the habit wouldn't exist if it wasn't for the addiction.

I don't understand why people don't want to say "I am addicted to nicotine." I am an addict and it is only in admitting this fact that I will be able to recover.

It has been since proven, that Nicotine and several related chemical metabolites, have beneficial effects on the brain, and can be technically used as medication.

http://www.schizophr...ne.benefits.htm
http://www.medicalne...cles/315446.php

Some people even chose to self-medicate in that respect, given how addictive Nicotine is, it is however similar to medicating pain with Heroin. On one hand it has medical benefits, but it's dangerous as hell to take it, etc.

As it is with pretty much everything, the dose makes the poison, etc. Even if nicotine shows benefits to schizophrenia treatment, I doubt any doctor would suggest it, given the effects aren't really that pronounced, and the dangers of getting hooked on it, are quite high.

So there.

I agree with the nicotine point. Nicotine is mostly out of your body in 12 hours or so....so how do explain sleeping at night?
I took Alan cars class in NYC and I do believe it is more habit. Why would you wear a patch or chew gum. It is like giving a alcoholic some drinks to get off alcohol...we don't do that do we? Yes, I realize that you are cutting out the tar and chemicals with the gum and so on but, honestly I have a friend who is chewing 40 pieces of a gum a day that only smoked 10 to 15 a day!

I know I'm going to get some bashing. But, think about it, please.

I was a chain smoker when I drank , then, maybe 5 one day or 2 one day and if I left my house for 10 hours a day I did not take or crave a cigerette. When I sat on my terrace, needed a cig. Talked on the phone , needed a cig.

People are different kind of smokers.
I also have a friend that smokes 2 packs a day. Now she is addicted to nicotine but, she believes that in her mind more than me and tells herself that all day.

It is not just being addicted to nicotine and if you really think that you will never quit is my belief.

Just because the Nicotine is gone, doesn't mean the effects it has imposed upon your nervous and endocrinal system are un-done.

Nicotine and alcohol have different activation vectors in your nervous system. The effects both substances have, especially concerning the dosage are very different, and hence getting off of them is different, too.

Nicotine imposes dependency from a very tiny amount, and is very physiologically linked to our behavior. Alcohols in inherently different in that. The point of Nicotine intake is not intoxication, for instance, which is one of the major differences.

If you're really interested in how alcohol addiction works, I advice volunteering at an alcoholism clinic, I did this when I was at University for a couple weeks, and I learned a lot. Not just from the social workers, but also from the doctors and nurses, etc.

It's also quite eye-opening to what sort of people it "hits", there were layers, surgeons, politicians, software engineers, teachers, professors, together with people more linked to the cliche, like unemployed, former criminals, etc.

Having said that, substance addiction to Nicotine is only one part of it. Smoking is a lot about habitual uptake of Nicotine, it's why it becomes part of daily life. The reason people often restart smoking after months and years of not smoking, is because a false memory, of how well they felt after lighting up, and simply because we tend to associate smoking with times where we actually have time to smoke, like a break, or right after a nice meal. We tend not to remember the cigarettes we smoked after a fight with family members, or right before a job interview, or right after getting fired, etc.

The thing with smoking cessation is that it is a two-fold problem. On one hand you have the Nicotine substance dependency, and on the other hand you have years and years of habitual lifestyle changes to overcome. However dismissing one or the other is almost equally bad. Just having overcome the Nicotine urges after three weeks or so, doesn't mean you're out of the muddy waters. Same thing with switching to NRTs. Just because you got rid of your habits for a while, doesn't mean you can just go off of them, especially if you forget them. I've seen countless people asking for a cigarette, because they've forgotten their patch, etc.

• Frank likes this

image.png?base_img=5&size=0&date_yr=2014
(My currency is actually Euros, not Dollars)
Counter since last cigarette with seconds resolution
(Opens external site with the counter)
48ea6fef12.png

#27 Redtailbird04

Redtailbird04

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 July 2017 - 12:40 AM

A dr once told me it was easier to get off the heroin than to kick nicotine.Any thoughts?
  • Jillar likes this

#28 Autumn

Autumn

(ノ◕ヮ◕)⊃━━☆゚・゚✧

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 829 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-11-01

Posted 02 July 2017 - 08:37 AM

A dr once told me it was easier to get off the heroin than to kick nicotine.Any thoughts?

Can't speak from personal experience, but I know many ex heroin addicts that say it's too hard for them to quit smoking. So there's that. I think additional factors add to that difficulty, such as the social acceptance, ready availability, and low/mild short-term risks/effects of having a cigarette addiction.

giphy.gif
            *2016 Butt Kickers*

#29 marciem

marciem

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,997 posts

Posted 02 July 2017 - 01:28 PM

I think all of us have heard that, and most of us put off quitting because it scared the bejeezus out of us, having seen movies and documentaries of people going thru hard-drug/heroin withdrawal and imagining something even worse for ourselves with nicotine withdrawal.

That said... nicotine withdrawal does not entail the pain or sometimes life-threatening physical symptoms associated with heroin withdrawal.  There are plenty of discomforts and unpleasant symptoms that go on for a long time, but no real hurty-hurty pain.

I think the big difficulty with cigarette/nicotine cessation is staying quit.  As Rainbow above notes, the easy access and more social acceptance of smoking vis a vis heroin usage probably makes relapse to smoking easier.

To be honest, I love the "harder to kick than heroin" rep.  My never-smoker son and daughter think I'm Wonder Woman for having quit, because they've heard it too!  :)  :)  .

Quit Date 9/20/12
Posted Image
Posted Image
Honorary member of: Posted Image

S.moking is N.ot an O.ption T.oday
Better to be a nonsmoker with an occasional desire to smoke, than a smoker with a constant desire to quit.
Remember: everything bad about quitting is temporary, and everything good about quitting is permanent. TimidTulip
Not a day will ever go by that life is 100% perfect. But 100% of the days are better not smoking jwg
I feel no matter my outcome, quitting was still hands down the best thing I ever did....r.i.p. jwg 12/28/13
Like John, no matter my own outcome, quitting smoking is hands down the best thing I've ever done... mlm 2/16/17

#30 KeviZa

KeviZa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-07-26
  • LocationPietermaritzburg , South Africa

Posted 10 August 2017 - 09:04 AM

I think a large part of it is psychological , we are made to believe that stopping smoking is difficult . That we are going to be irritable and moody and everyone best watch out ...

I read the book called EasyWay by Allan Carr before attempting this quit and he discusses this in depth , how most of it is in our minds .

I have to say , i have had a really easy quit . There have been moments when my temper got the best of me but they have been very few and far between .

I am only just past the two week mark but I have not really battled at all .

I have never tried heroine but I am a recovering crack addict clean for almost 6 years . I found that stopping smoking up to this point has been more difficult . I believe that one of the main reasons is even though there is a certain social stigma related to cigarettes these days , they are very readily available and I can smoke a cigarette much more freely than I can step outside and light up a crack pipe or inject a needle .

I have been around people withdrawing from heroine and can say that it is not a good thing to see , never mind experience . So I would say that physically heroine is far worse but probably find that cigarettes are harder mentally . 

image.png?base_img=6&size=0&date_yr=2017

30ksjlf.jpg

#31 bchris02

bchris02

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 11:55 PM

If cigarette addiction were simply about nicotine then using gum, patches, vapes or any other source would be indistinguishable from smoking and be just as addictive. Logical, yes? But as any smoker will tell you, they're not. Giving up the substitutes is far, far easier than cigarettes and using them helps the symptoms by, I'd estimate at most, 5%. When I once tried with patches, I found it only marginally better than nothing while costing the same as a pack of smokes and guzzling gum constantly on the edge of an overdose still didn't remove the cravings.

So if it's not nicotine, what is it? What's in cigarettes that makes smoking them so much more than a nicotine delivery system?

Nicotine from cigarettes hits you much faster giving you more intense pleasure from it than what you get from gum, patches, or even the e-cigarette (though vaping is the closest we've come to imitating the cigarette, it still isn't quite there.)  Nicotine is the addiction.  If it wasn't, smoking other types of cigarettes would satisfy but they do not, other than to open the door to relapse.

#32 Mike Piano

Mike Piano

Mike Piano

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,009 posts
  • quitdate:
    2015-02-16
  • Locationessex nr London England

Posted 17 August 2017 - 02:43 PM

Probably some of the most skilled scientists in the world have been involved in what maybe the most wicked con trick in recent history.

Heaven only knows whats in the thousands of added chemicals.  

The sickening greed behind it all if of course inherent in many other areas of commerce/addiction.

The day will come centuries from now where people will find it difficult to believe cigarettes were ever successful marketed.

Sadly it seems the guilty still thrive on the proceeds of addiction and ghastly unnecessary suffering and death.

• Lust4Life and Wee me :) like this

event.png

#33 mikemcd

mikemcd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-08-09
  • LocationValrico, FL

Posted 17 August 2017 - 05:44 PM

That's because it's not simply about nicotine. It's about how hard the nicotine hits your brain because you inhale it. Think about coca farmers who suck on coca leaves throughout the day. They get mild stimulation that's not dissimilar to drinking a cup of coffee, and can take it or leave it. Compare that to smoking crack. Why is crack so much more addictive than sucking on a coca leaf? One is inhaled, one is absorbed through the skin. Nicotine patches and other NRT are absorbed, slowly, in measured doses, through the skin, and do not create what is called the "bolus effect." It's because of that bolus of nicotine hitting our brains fast and hard that we get so immensely dependent on nicotine, which mimics an important neurotransmitter called acetylcholine. Our brains actually have to grow millions of new receptor sites when we first get physically dependent on the drug, in order to handle the hard, fast hits of the acetylcholine mimic. It's a good thing, too, or we would have died of nicotine poisoning.

We never lose those millions of extra receptor sites. They are a permanent brain change. After about a year of zero inhaled hits of nicotine, the sites have gone dormant. Take heart though, the most dramatic changes happen toward the beginning of a quit!

One hit off a cigarette, cigar, nicotine-loaded vaporizer, or any other device we can dream up to deliver inhaled hits of nicotine will flood these receptor sites again and activate them, setting off the craving and withdrawal cycle all over again. It doesn't matter whether you've been 50 minutes or 50 years clean, if your brain is flooded, it has to respond. Look at what happens to the brain after just one inhaled hit off a cigarette:

receptors.jpg

The blue areas show where a tracer has been replaced by nicotine. More on these scans here: http://www.drugabuse...garette-craving

NRT works by providing a low level of nicotine in the body to help with withdrawal symptoms. As I said above, it does not create the bolus effect in the brain and does not flood the receptor sites with hard, fast hits of the drug. It's like sucking on a coca leaf to help you deal with withdrawal symptoms from smoking crack. You will still be going through major withdrawal on NRT, it just isn't the 100% withdrawal of cold turkey. Also, your receptor sites will be heading toward dormancy as long as you do not inhale even one hit of nicotine.

There's some good information here about nicotine and how it works in the body, and why inhaled nicotine, especially, is so addictive: http://www.pbs.org/w...e/nicotine.html

I am only 8 day quit.  Glad I ran across this post.  I know it will help me as  I continue.

• Jillar, Lust4Life, Lin-quitting and 1 other like this

1502265601_40_1_USD_4_bluesec.png

#34 Lin-quitting

Lin-quitting

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,047 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-03-06
  • Locationsmall-town Kansas USA

Posted 18 August 2017 - 01:04 AM

mike, it is a helpful explanation for us isn't it? Logic that we can use to talk ourselves through our quits.

I am under the understanding that this scientific explanation is exactly why our overriding mission here, our battle cry, is NOPE. As addicts we have to know that we can never take another puff without the serious risk of flooding those receptors and awakening the addiction all over again. Too many long-term relapses start with just a few puffs.

• marciem, Lust4Life, Rozuki and 1 other like this

]1488790801_16_1_USD_3_blacksec.png

"I didn't come this far to only come this far."

30ksjlf.jpg

I want my life back. I WANT MY LIFE BACK!

There is no try, there is only do. Failure is not an option.

Another proud member of the 2017 Smokebusters team.

#35 Moominmumma

Moominmumma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-08-11
  • LocationSouth coast, UK

Posted 23 August 2017 - 03:43 PM

Amazing post really helpful for me and my baby quit!
  • Lin-quitting likes this

Making this my sticky quit since 11.48am gmt Friday 11th August 2017!!!

1502447401_25_1_GBP_7_pinksec.png

30ksjlf.jpg

#36 Basia

Basia

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-04-15
  • LocationPoland

Posted 25 August 2017 - 09:55 PM

Hello everybody, I am new to this forum and am writing from Poland. (Please excuse any mistakes). I was a heavy smoker for over 30 years, (about 40 + cigs a day). I was both desperate to quit and also terrified to make the decision and really start.

I bought 2 things: Allen Carr's book - which i read in 3 days and, just in case Nicorette Spray (1mg nicotine).  

I quit smoking on April 15 th 2017. For 1 day I did not smoke, but it was hard and I gave in and started the nicorette spray.

Well, I am hooked to this now. It really delivers nicotine in an INSTANT !!. In a higher dosis than cigarettes !.

I started to take, like it said in instructions 2 sprays per dosis. Tasted horrible at first, but so did cigarettes when we were young. Now I am trying to quit this stuff. Not at all easy. I think I am more hooked than I have been before. At moments it becomes compulsive. I do not know what to do.

Has anybody got some experience with this? I would welcome some suggestions. The bad thing about it is also - you loose control!. There is no way you can count or measure how much you took, or how often you spray. And, for my addictive mind, - it is more satisfying than cigaretts have EVER been.  

Terrible !

#37 Jillar

Jillar

Nothing Worthwhile Comes Easily

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,928 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-05-29
  • LocationIf not here, there

Posted 25 August 2017 - 10:45 PM

Welcome basia and congrats on quitting smoking. I didn't use NRT so I can't help you with that. If you post a thread on the main page though you will get many more people's, some of who have used NRT, advice. These sub forums don't get a whole lot of views like the main board does.
  • Basia likes this

image.png?base_img=5&size=0&date_yr=2016

1zzrf54.jpg
Things began to get better when I realized I would remain quit even if things never got any better.

Christian99 15 Years Quit

We say here that it is better to be a nonsmoker with the occasional desire to smoke than a smoker with the constant desire to quit. Marciem
Being successful doesn't mean that you'll never GET to smoke again. It means that you'll never HAVE to smoke again.

#38 Basia

Basia

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-04-15
  • LocationPoland

Posted 26 August 2017 - 07:07 PM

Thank you, I'll copy & Paste this once again then

• Jillar likes this

#39 Reisen

Reisen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 502 posts
  • quitdate:
    2014-09-25
  • LocationGermany

Posted 07 October 2017 - 03:35 AM

It's an anecdote that I've heard being said back and forth many times, but it's like comparing apples to... shoes? - "Both get kinda soggy when left in the cold rain".

Let's assume for a second that getting equal doses of Heroin and Nicotine is both legal and just as easy (same price per dose), and let's further assume, that there is next to no social stigma to taking Heroin, similar to smoking. Also, lets assume that the main mode of application of Heroin, is also smoking (as it is perfectly doable, it's called "chasing the dragon").

So we can get doses of both Heroin and Nicotine the exact same way, for instance we could picture "Heroin Cigarettes" being sold at Kiosks and at the register shelf in shops and convenience stores.

Nicotine has a very benign hit. Applying Nicotine has a fulfilling, calming effect. It doesn't put us to sleep, but it lets us cool off. Heroin has a hugely strong hit. It has disassociative element, which is completely different from Nicotine. Taking Heroin lets you forget and not feel pain, both physical and psychological. It is possible to "forget" about things like life threatening wounds, and even things like cancer pains, which is among the strongest pains known and identified in the medical sciences. Smoking a cigarette will surely not alleviate any pains like this, or cause disassociative trips.

When we're "suffering" from Nicotine withdrawal, we might feel restless, abrasive, we're certainly annoying to people we live with and that we work with. People often notice smokers not having smoked for a while.
When you're hooked on Heroin, you need the same dose you're used to, just get out of pains, which the withdrawals induce. This is often practiced by people who are low on funds to get their next dose, and try to take "just enough" Heroin to keep the pains at bay, this is usually called "chipping it". In order to feel any of the usually desired effects of Heroin, the dosage must be increased.

The level at which we kinda stick to a dose, is usually leveling off with Nicotine. If we'd use twice as much nicotine, we'd feel a bit sick, but also often feel like "smoking more is unnecessary". People who really do like to smoke, and have no intentions to quit or smoke less, are also unlikely to increase their smoking amount. These limits are different from person to person, but overall, there is a certain optimum, to which smokers level off to. It is out of the question to eventually inject Nicotine. With Heroin, this couldn't be different. The reason why people eventually turn to injecting Heroin, even though they usually start with smoking or snorting Heroin, is because the "hit" is just so much stronger. Around the time when people inject heroin to keep pains at bay, is when they notice they completely lost control of their lives. This is usually the point, when junkies notice how they've entered hell and there's no way out of it. However the road to hell, was quite difficult to see...

Let me interject at this point with another anecdote: "I'm not afraid of death, I'm afraid of dying."

OK, so the problem is the bump before the finish - that's the problem. The problem with kicking Heroin, is the most excruciating pains you'd have to endure for days and weeks on end. These pains slowly rise in the first 24-48h, and then just seem to relentlessly stay at such a high level. I heard people often can't sleep for several nights, which adds to the pain and suffering. It is not uncommon, for people staying awake from these pains for three to four days, and then only pass out from the exhaustion and fatigue. The effects slowly wear off and around two weeks later they're at a point, where people still feel miserable in their head from all the mental mayhem Heroin did to them, but the pains are manageable with painkillers and sleeping pills can be used to induce sleep. This "pain management" both physical and psychological is the core aspect of treatment in addiction clinics. After around a month of treatment in what is often a closed ward, patients are released into an open ward for six to twelve weeks, and after than they're released home, with weekly counselling meetings, etc.

Now why would people perpetuate an anecdote like "Heroin is easier to kick than a smoking habit"?

The reason has several layers: It is common knowledge, how adverse the effects of Heroin are. Both in taking them and when dealing with withdrawals. It is also not just a pain, but the social issues that come trailing a heroin addiction. At the point where a junkie has lost basically all control over his life, the general stigma is that of it's their own fault, but they cannot get out of it, so they're similar to a person suffering from a mental condition. Smoking however, is associated primarily with the habitual parts. The idea is to "just get over it" as it isn't perceived as something that's really hard. For people not in on it, kicking smoking seems to be almost inconsequential. it's like not eating a doughnut, etc. Smoking cessation kinda throws you a curve ball here. From an outside perspective, it looks easy, but it's not. However when we look at Heroin, most of us know that withdrawal from Heroin is pretty horrible.
The painful withdrawal from Heroin is something that leaves the former users almost shell-shocked. It is unlikely they'll restart taking Heroin after having lived through that. Especially, since most users of Heroin have been chipping it for years prior to withdrawing from it. There are very few positive memories linked to taking the drug. When it comes to Smoking this is very different. Withdrawal from smoking is unpleasant, but certainly less painful, than withdrawals from Heroin. Up until someone actually attempts to quit, Smoking doesn't seem so bad. It's pleasant, it's a nice excuse to take a break, to many it works as social glue. After a certain while, people restart smoking because of these reasons, but also, because they remember the good feeling they had when they were smokers. Smoking kinda becomes a nicer memory than it really was, simply because people tend to forget the relatively short while of withdrawals, but remember the decades of having nice memories while being a smoker.
Restarting smoking is super easy. Just go get a pack, that's it. Restarting Heroin isn't that easy at all, you'd have to get the funds first and then get in touch with the sort of shady people selling those.
The support landscape is vastly different. There is literally no one that will advise taking Heroin, except dealers. Even people being hooked on Heroin will speak badly about it, and encourage people to never start it. If a Junkie wants to kick the drug, almost the entire community, including other junkies, will support that decision. With smoking this is very different. Deciding to quit, feels almost like coming out of the closet. Other smokers seem to be surprised in a kinda condescending way when they learn you've quit. Support comes from other non-smokers, but there's almost a certain expectation to revert to smoking.

Smoking is very insidious in that way. It makes it look so easy, "just stop, and get over it", that's why it looks as if it is more difficult to quit smoking. Smoking just still accepted as something cultural. People aren't exactly encouraged to smoke, but they're definitely not looked down upon when they do. I'm an individualist, people should do whatever they want, but we shouldn't lie to people either. Smoking isn't a lifestyle, it's a means of administering an addictive drug, pure and simple.
The reason why the anecdote "quitting smoking is more difficult than to quit Heroin" is mainly down to the observation, of how easy it is to just restart after quitting. Once someone quit Heroin, they will do almost anything to keep it like that, except if they're so far gone, that all hope is lost. With smoking, there are the good memories, the general acceptance, and the lacking support of quitting. Also, when a smoker restarts smoking it often feels like going back to a certain inner circle of friends and colleagues, so that makes the hurdle to restart smoking much less of an issue.

In conclusion, just one thing: Don't use this statement as an excuse to fail a quit.
Sure, the social circumstances make smoking seem, inconsequential, when parents smoke it's perhaps viewed as kinda not that great, but parents taking Heroin? Whoa, that goes straight to CPS. Quitting smoking is not harder than quitting Heroin, by a long shot. It's easy and kinda pleasant to believe in it, because it makes us feel better. But these anecdotes and sound bites paint a very wrong picture, and are very unfair to people suffering from an actual Heroin addiction.

When people fail a quit and use this anecdote to explain themselves, be aware of what they're doing: They're lying to themselves and to other people. The correct response to someone uttering this as an excuse is: "<male_cattle_excrement_in_all_caps>!"

EDIT: Had to edit due to the last word having been censored.

• marciem, justanotherone and Wee me :) like this

image.png?base_img=5&size=0&date_yr=2014
(My currency is actually Euros, not Dollars)
Counter since last cigarette with seconds resolution
(Opens external site with the counter)
48ea6fef12.png

#40 Wee me :)

Wee me :)

Swinging on that rope!!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,236 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-08-01
  • LocationBonnie Scotland

Posted 07 October 2017 - 10:52 AM

Having now read the whole thread..

Brilliant read giving me plenty to think about, the more education the better..
I gave up on 1st August 2017 after 32 years.
I can hear it trying to sweet talk me, trying ever trick in the book and then some
but not this time.
I control my nic demon it doesn't control me :) :D :)

event.png
30ksjlf.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users