2014 Avenger

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,692 posts
  • quitdate:
    2014-12-16
  • LocationBucharest, Romania

Posted 30 March 2015 - 09:14 AM

Quitting smoking leaves us with a terrible emptiness that, for a while, we don't know exactly how to handle. And we may even ask ourselves if we will ever be able to fill these voids with anything. What helped me to get over this was eventually understanding that the source of the problem wasn't the absence of cigarettes, but the mere existence of those terrible feelings I was dealing with. 

They were there all along, but I was trying to cover them all up with smoke... The moment I stopped smoking, I started to realize and acknowledge all those things that were wrong in my life and I've been trying to get rid of by hiding behind a curtain of cigarette smoke. But they didn't disappear, they have been watching me silently and now, as the smoke cleared, we are starting to make eye contact again. Should I light a cigarette so I become blind again? Or should I finally tackle the beasts? The answer is clear. I will attack.

So ask yourself, as you are ripped by this feeling of emptiness: is it ok that a small piece of paper filled with tobacco has become such an important part of my life? Is it ok that I have become emotionally attached to a small piece of paper filled with tobacco?!

Don't hide behind the curtain of smoke again. Don't choose to run again. Make the most of the fact that you are finally capable to see your life as it really is and you finally have the chance to fill those voids. Fill your short and precious life with people, places, hobbies and knowledge. Put things that actually matter inside those voids, because blowing smoke inside them will never, ever, make them disappear.

• avian3, Cristobal, itsatrap84 and 36 others like this

e95069ff22.png

#2 nerdgirl42

nerdgirl42

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 30 March 2015 - 09:18 AM

I love this post. I used smoking to fill many voids in my life, and now that I've quit yet again, I have realized that I can no longer hide behind that "small piece of paper filled with tobacco"! I want to fill my life with experiences! I don't want to hide behind a cloud of smoke. I want to go out and live life, and smoking has no place in that.

Because smoking is essentially dying. Little by little. With every puff. I know we all die eventually, but I have NO interest in speeding up that process, thank you very much! ;)

• avian3, Cristobal, itsatrap84 and 8 others like this

#3 gonfishn21

gonfishn21

Old Pharte

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,672 posts
  • quitdate:
    2014-11-11
  • LocationPacific Northwest

Posted 30 March 2015 - 10:41 AM

Hermine,
What an eloquent post.
Everyone of us needs to learn to fill the voids.
You, my friends, have touched on what I believe
to be a serious cause of relapse.
Well done. Very well done indeed.

Gon
  • Oustoson and hermine like this
<p>event.png

Smoking is no longer an option for me. I no longer smoke. Smoking is just something that I used to do

Smoking is not treatment. Smoking is the cause.

The usual outcome is only that, because you let it be. The "quitter's" outcome is because we "make it be".

Beat the urge, and the urge will stop beating you.

#4 MissyCat

MissyCat

2014 Avenger

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,513 posts
  • quitdate:
    2014-10-21
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 30 March 2015 - 10:59 AM

"Don't hide behind the curtain of smoke again. Don't choose to run again. Make the most of the fact that you are finally capable to see your life as it really is and you finally have the chance to fill those voids. Fill your short and precious life with people, places, hobbies and knowledge. Put things that actually matter inside those voids, because blowing smoke inside them will never, ever, make them disappear."

Well said Hermine! No more hiding behind a cloud of smoke.
  • avian3 and hermine like this
Carol
A 2014 Avenger
Smoke free since October 21, 2014

ddl449.jpg

1413921600_25_1_USD_8_default.png

#5 Mike Piano

Mike Piano

Mike Piano

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,047 posts
  • quitdate:
    2015-02-16
  • Locationessex nr London England

Posted 30 March 2015 - 11:11 AM

just like Nerd says i  love this post can see myself to clearly in its words.

its an aching hollowness somewhere below the ribcage...a void which our experience tells us can only be filled that way.

I was very much a smoke screen man..had to feel all things through the screen or delay everything behind the puffs....

Parts of me never had to grow up, and now sometimes i feel like a helpless baby, lost with nothing to reach out for and suck and hold on to

WE are here

We are winning

Our love carries us through

Loves of life and each other

• avian3, Nancy., Kathleen0515 and 3 others like this

event.png

#6 Jenni

Jenni

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 481 posts
  • quitdate:
    2015-03-17
  • LocationColorado

Posted 30 March 2015 - 02:15 PM

Hermine,

I wish I could give this post ALL the stars.

• Oustoson and hermine like this

kSVEm7.png  zodohy.jpg  
                     Proud member of the 2015 BadAshes! Live long and prosper!
 Great Resources
Dear QSMB Newcomer - An important FIRST READ for getting a sense of the community here | The Newbie Package - An overwhelming treasure trove of links and education. Just pick one and start learning | Anything posted by Eric. Literally ANYTHING he wrote blows me away. | Many of the posts by cookielinda - but you have to weed through a lot to find the gold | And for a bit of self-promotion, my post of Quit Inspiration songs :smile:

1426568400_13_1_USD_7_dark.png

#7 Chloesc

Chloesc

2015 BadAsh

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,220 posts
  • quitdate:
    2015-01-12
  • LocationSoutheast Region, USA

Posted 30 March 2015 - 05:31 PM

Hey Hermine,  Loved reading your post.. It is so true.. I used to be quite and I would use smoking as my escape.. I guess I smoked instead of truly dealing with my emotions fully.. I realized after I quit how much of my emotions I really kept hidden.. It is a learning process to learn how to fill that empty void with positive things in your life... Also finding ways to deal with all life's tough issues as a non smoker. Each day gets brighter and my void gets filled a little more with happier things.. It is all still a learning process one day at a time. :-)

• avian3, fizzie and hermine like this

RjhLm4.png

clpw4.jpg                                  bb2d782ebd100fe4437bccab6476ae2f.jpg   

2015 BadAshes

#8 PuttiCat

PuttiCat

2015 BadAsh

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 30 March 2015 - 07:07 PM

Well if this isn't a proverbial kick in the butt, I don't know what is.

Great post, Hermine!  This is so true but not something I've ever actually thought of.  Not sure why...I've sure used many things as "escapes" throughout my life.  Thank you for your wise words!!

• hermine likes this

Free since January 2015

Live life and prosper

2dr760j.jpg

2015 BadAshes

#9 Kathleen0515

Kathleen0515

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,796 posts
  • LocationDown by the River

Posted 30 March 2015 - 07:24 PM

Wonderful post! I have a feeling your words are going to hit home for a lot of people  :-)

• hermine likes this

image.png?base_img=1&size=0&date_yr=2012

phpus0IwXPM1_zps54aa894a.jpg"

"Grammy, why are you putting smoke in your body?"

I stopped putting smoke in my body on June 28, 2012. 

#10 JMM

JMM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 855 posts
  • quitdate:
    2014-12-25

Posted 31 March 2015 - 04:52 AM

Very true
  • hermine likes this
~ Jami

It won't be easy, but it will be worth it

Choose freedom - December 25, 2014 at 10pm

d813c38522.png

NOPE - I don't smoke anymore

#11 Shrub1122

Shrub1122

2014 Avenger

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,944 posts
  • quitdate:
    2014-10-18
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 31 March 2015 - 06:23 AM

I am out of likes but that's ok Hermine because I don't like this post, I absolutely love it.

Once we have controlled our smoking it does open us to the possibility of fixing other things in our life.
Tending our spiritual garden and finding a sense if order.

It is a human condition to strive to be better and kinder people.

Of course non smokers do that as well.

They just don't have to go through an emotional adjustment quite the same as us.

As they started with an advantage.

They never smoked so did not have to quit.

Or in some strange and weird way.

Perhaps it is us that has the advantage.

Hugs and great post and that just made your rope that much stronger
  • hermine likes this
event.png

The little cilia scrubbing bubbles were out of work for a very long time! Give them the job security that they were born to do! 24/7 cleaning your lungs, YAY!

#12 itsatrap84

itsatrap84

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 994 posts
  • quitdate:
    2015-11-15
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 31 March 2015 - 07:52 AM

This post is SPOT ON. i'm going through the void right now. It's a little overwhelming I have first. It feels like I have so much to do to "fix" myself but... this is the fun part. It's like the early part of dating before everything gets boring. ;) we're out of our "comfort zone" aka addiction zone. Really makes you evaluate just about everything. I know I'm evaluating my career, friends, health, relationships etc. etc. turns out not smoking was the easy part.... But knowing that I could do that and don't need cigs anymore makes everything else seem inevitable.

Cigarettes were this disgusting excuse that I used to keep many aspects of my life from improving. I couldn't work out because I was a smoker and that didn't make any sense. I couldn't date because I was a smoker and didn't want to have to deal with that awkwardness. I knew it bothered my mom that I smoked but I still had to do it. My poor sweet dog has been around so much cigarette smoke over the past year. But he always wanted to be near me. But I think he enjoys it more now without the smoke.

Thanks for posting this.
  • hermine and nerdgirl42 like this

1426413600_15_1_USD_10_dark.png

itsatrap84.jpg

MY FOREVER QUIT PLEDGE: I swear on my life that I will never have another cigarette. I will never take another puff. This is not an experiment. This is my life or my death. This is me choosing to spare my family the grief of losing me too soon to an illness of the mind that destroys my body. This is me canceling my addiction. I swear this on my life and I swear it to God. 

#13 hermine

hermine

2014 Avenger

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,692 posts
  • quitdate:
    2014-12-16

Posted 31 March 2015 - 09:41 AM

Thank you, dear friends! This was a great issue for me and I am very glad that my insight can be helfpul to anyone dealing with the same problems.

• aussie71 likes this

e95069ff22.png

#14 hermine

hermine

2014 Avenger

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,692 posts
  • quitdate:
    2014-12-16

Posted 24 April 2015 - 11:30 AM

bump

e95069ff22.png

#15 melder7777

melder7777

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 847 posts
  • quitdate:
    2002-08-12
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 24 April 2015 - 12:16 PM

Excellent message Hermine.

Even as someone that's been quit for such a long time, I am still reminded of just how invasive my smoking addiction was, on pretty much every aspect of my life.

I do not miss that feeling at all.

There's good reason why some refer to this as freedom.

Thanks for the well thought out reminder!

maureen

maureen

1029184200_1.5_20_USD_10_dark.png

#16 Zowey

Zowey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,699 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 03 May 2015 - 08:36 AM

Just stumbled across this gem...

I felt like I was struggling with something but couldn't put my finger on it...this is it!!!

Thank you Hermine!

event.png

#17 hermine

hermine

2014 Avenger

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,692 posts
  • quitdate:
    2014-12-16

Posted 28 May 2015 - 08:33 AM

bump

e95069ff22.png

#18 galapple

galapple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts
  • quitdate:
    2014-03-30
  • LocationWinston-Salem, NC

Posted 28 May 2015 - 02:01 PM

I loved this post. I'm still new at this and experiencing the "void" but I'm trying to fill in with new experiences and new places. 

Thanks for posting & bumping for us newbies!

• hermine likes this

Don't let who you were talk you out of who you are becoming.

Bob Goff

1427713200_12_1_USD_5_dark.png

#19 Shrub1122

Shrub1122

2014 Avenger

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,944 posts
  • quitdate:
    2014-10-18
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 06 June 2015 - 05:47 PM

It's a great post Hermine and so very by true
event.png

The little cilia scrubbing bubbles were out of work for a very long time! Give them the job security that they were born to do! 24/7 cleaning your lungs, YAY!

#20 Mariemc

Mariemc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 710 posts
  • quitdate:
    2015-03-09
  • LocationBelfast Ireland

Posted 06 June 2015 - 08:19 PM

Thanks for this hermine...This is so me at the moment, I'm 3 months almost and this is it! Really going to push myself from now on!
  • aussie71 likes this
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
event.png
image.png?base_img=2&size=0&date_yr=2015
Proud Member of 2015 BadAshes
2dr760j.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users