#1 Kathleen0515

Kathleen0515

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,796 posts
  • LocationDown by the River

Posted 21 January 2015 - 12:27 AM

Three years ago, I was you. Knowing that I should probably quit smoking but not believing I could do it. I "enjoyed" smoking. I was more addicted than other people. I wasn't strong enough. 

Two years, eight months ago, I was you. I had found this board and I started reading. I started thinking maybe I could actually do this. But I wasn't sure yet. 

Two years, two weeks, and 6 days ago, I was you. It was my first day quit and I was scared to death. I just wished I could go to sleep and wake up at 72 hours when the nicotine had left my system. It seemed like forever.

Two years, two weeks, and 3 days ago I was you. I actually hit that magic three day mark! I couldn't believe that I had gone that long without a cigarette. I looked at the members here with three months quit and I thought that could actually be me. I thought maybe I could really do this. Maybe.

Two years ago, I was you. I was starting to feel human again. I found myself going hours without thinking about a cigarette. I got glimpses of "normal", but it was a new normal, a better normal. I still looked at all those Old Phartes here as super humans. But they kept telling me I could, so I just kept believing.

One year, two weeks, and 6 days ago, I was you. It had happened! I crossed that magic one year mark. I was one of "them". A person I never believed I could be. Not just a nonsmoker, but a happy nonsmoker! I had people looking up to ME. I was telling people to just trust me, it gets better. I was looking back at my journey and realizing it hadn't been that hard after all. I finally believed everything I had been told.

Wherever you are in your quit at this very moment, one of us has been there. We understand how you're feeling. We know that some days quitting seems next to impossible. But it's not, because we did it.  We weren't stronger, or braver, or smarter. We were't less addicted. We just believed when we were told we could do this. We believed when we were told it gets better. We believed it would all be worth it. Now it's your turn to believe. In us, but more importantly, in yourself. 

• kinkash, marciem, Cristobal and 39 others like this

image.png?base_img=1&size=0&date_yr=2012

phpus0IwXPM1_zps54aa894a.jpg"

"Grammy, why are you putting smoke in your body?"

I stopped putting smoke in my body on June 28, 2012. 

#2 gonfishn21

gonfishn21

Old Pharte

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,672 posts
  • quitdate:
    2014-11-11
  • LocationPacific Northwest

Posted 21 January 2015 - 12:36 AM

Really nice post.
Today was a good day to hear that.
Thanks.

Gon
  • Kathleen0515 likes this
<p>event.png

Smoking is no longer an option for me. I no longer smoke. Smoking is just something that I used to do

Smoking is not treatment. Smoking is the cause.

The usual outcome is only that, because you let it be. The "quitter's" outcome is because we "make it be".

Beat the urge, and the urge will stop beating you.

#3 Kathleen0515

Kathleen0515

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,796 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 12:51 AM

Really nice post.
Today was a good day to hear that.
Thanks.

Gon

Gon, you are always so full of support, wisdom and great advice that it's hard to think of you as a semi-new quitter. In fact, I was surprised when I looked at your ticker after reading your post! You give so much to so many here. I'm glad I was able to give you a little something back. (And don't forget to ask for help if you need it).

• Shrub1122 likes this

#4 gonfishn21

gonfishn21

Old Pharte

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,672 posts
  • quitdate:
    2014-11-11
  • LocationPacific Northwest

Posted 21 January 2015 - 01:15 AM

Kathleen,
Thank you.
No risk here, just needed to remember that
I will get to the sweet spot where I feel physically better.

I appreciate the kind words.

Gon
  • Kathleen0515 and Rozuki like this
<p>event.png

Smoking is no longer an option for me. I no longer smoke. Smoking is just something that I used to do

Smoking is not treatment. Smoking is the cause.

The usual outcome is only that, because you let it be. The "quitter's" outcome is because we "make it be".

Beat the urge, and the urge will stop beating you.

#5 MissyCat

MissyCat

2014 Avenger

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,513 posts
  • quitdate:
    2014-10-21
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 21 January 2015 - 01:26 AM

Thank you Kathleen. My quit has been relatively easy this time around. Some days I still have trouble believing. Especially believing in my long term quit. I smoked for 45 years. I was the person that believed she would never be a happy non smoker. The difference this time around is the knowledge I have gained here and the daily support from the caring members of this community. Only time will tell.
  • Kathleen0515 and lberkowitz like this
Carol
A 2014 Avenger
Smoke free since October 21, 2014

ddl449.jpg

1413921600_25_1_USD_8_default.png

#6 Kathleen0515

Kathleen0515

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,796 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 01:36 AM

You're so right coshaughnessy, time will tell! Coincidentally, I smoked for 45 years as well. So I really WAS you  :lol:. And I can tell you that I was pretty much still going through the motions at three months quit. I put on a brave face, but I wasn't happy. Well, I was happy I quit, but I wasn't happy being a nonsmoker. I'm sure you understand what I mean. But, I'm happy now. Very happy. You'll get there too....in time. I promise  :-)

• MissyCat likes this

#7 donvesta

donvesta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,965 posts
  • quitdate:
    3/26/2014
  • LocationFt. Worth, Texas

Posted 21 January 2015 - 01:37 AM

I do believe in myself Kathleen and I hold you responsible for a big part of that.

You have never wavered in supporting me and I have grown a really solid quit on top of that support. I am forever grateful.

The strength of this board is in all of sharing and providing the information that someone struggling cannot see at the time. Believing gave me the chance to experience it for myself.

I love my quit more each day.

Newbies put your faith in me like I put my faith in Kathleen. Living nicotine free is better than I ever imagined!
  • Kathleen0515, GloryB, gonfishn21 and 4 others like this

Acceptance is the key.

Be grateful for the pain. We can not heal without it.

I became a non smoker on March 26, 2014.

PROUD TO BE A 2014 AVENGER.

#8 PuttiCat

PuttiCat

2015 BadAsh

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 21 January 2015 - 01:47 AM

Awesome post Kathleen!!!  This is a must-read for newbies.

Free since January 2015

Live life and prosper

2dr760j.jpg

2015 BadAshes

#9 MissyCat

MissyCat

2014 Avenger

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,513 posts
  • quitdate:
    2014-10-21
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 21 January 2015 - 01:48 AM

You're so right coshaughnessy, time will tell! Coincidentally, I smoked for 45 years as well. So I really WAS you  :lol:. And I can tell you that I was pretty much still going through the motions at three months quit. I put on a brave face, but I wasn't happy. Well, I was happy I quit, but I wasn't happy being a nonsmoker. I'm sure you understand what I mean. But, I'm happy now. Very happy. You'll get there too....in time. I promise  :-)

out of likes again....yes I do understand and it's nice that you do too!
Carol
A 2014 Avenger
Smoke free since October 21, 2014

ddl449.jpg

1413921600_25_1_USD_8_default.png

#10 Hoff825

Hoff825

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-12-03

Posted 21 January 2015 - 01:49 AM

Great read!  

1376254800_25_1_USD_9.55_dark.png

#11 Kathleen0515

Kathleen0515

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,796 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 02:10 AM

I do believe in myself Kathleen and I hold you responsible for a big part of that.

You have never wavered in supporting me and I have grown a really solid quit on top of that support. I am forever grateful.

The strength of this board is in all of sharing and providing the information that someone struggling cannot see at the time. Believing gave me the chance to experience it for myself.

I love my quit more each day.

Newbies put your faith in me like I put my faith in Kathleen. Living nicotine free is better than I ever imagined!

Don, you were easy to support. I told you very early on I could spot a winner when I saw one. And you didn't prove me wrong  ;-)

#12 Shrub1122

Shrub1122

2014 Avenger

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,944 posts
  • quitdate:
    2014-10-18
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 21 January 2015 - 02:59 AM

Kathleen,
You gave me a lot if support and on my first day reading this forum I looked at your grandsons face with those precious eyes and I could see him asking you "why do you put smoke in your body" and it made me cry.
that little face of his stayed inside my head for a long time.

just thought I would tell you that and here I am at three months.

You are a gem Kathleen.
  • Kathleen0515 and garrym like this
event.png

The little cilia scrubbing bubbles were out of work for a very long time! Give them the job security that they were born to do! 24/7 cleaning your lungs, YAY!

#13 Guest__Luna__*

Guest__Luna__*
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2015 - 03:11 AM

You're very inspirational..always so supportive, and always kind.

Thank you for sharring something very meaningful, and helpful.

:)

#14 JTPhilly

JTPhilly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,477 posts
  • LocationPhilly PA

Posted 21 January 2015 - 04:19 AM

Congrats Kathleen thanks for the inspiration along the way. Old Phartes are not "superhuman" but many are indeed super humans for showing the way and providing support you qualify

From the room without a window to a different way to see - Operation Ivy - Energy - '89

Cigarette and Nicotine Free since August 20, 2012  :mrgreen: 

#15 kinkash

kinkash

I once was blind, but now I see

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,936 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 21 January 2015 - 04:52 AM

Love it Kat. I was you too!!!
When the student is ready...The teacher will appear-Soul
Fear of the quit is worse than the quit-Cookielinda
When you stop buying cig......You start paying for your addiction - jwg

Smoking is not some friend that brings you comfort. It is the Enemy that wants to kill you!
1330426800_20_1_USD_7_default.png

#16 slave2 three

slave2 three

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 262 posts
  • quitdate:
    2014-11-28
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 21 January 2015 - 05:17 AM

Nice post :) 

event.png

It’s not who you are that holds you back, it’s who you think you’re not. 

Class of the 2014 Avengers

#17 PipB

PipB

Yay I did it !

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,161 posts
  • quitdate:
    2013-07-11
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 21 January 2015 - 08:15 AM

I always love reading your posts Kathleen - and I think this one mught become one of my favourites ! Awesome post as usual ! :-) :-) xx
ijm3z17qn.png[/url

My Freedom Date was 11 July 2013

#18 james11

james11

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 11:29 AM

Oh the post is so wonderful, so real and motivational. Thank you so much.

#19 Danielle

Danielle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • quitdate:
    2014-11-19
  • LocationOhio

Posted 21 January 2015 - 12:07 PM

Kathleen, I love reading your posts. They're always down to earth & hit home. Thank you for the support you given not just to me, but to so many on here. I was/am you too! When I first quit, I kept telling myself that I had to start somewhere right? We all do. Now, at two months quit, I am happy with the quit. I try to think of one thing that I miss about smoking and, surprisingly (or maybe not), I can't think of a single thing that I miss. Everything you told yourself before your quit, I told myself too. Now, I feel healthier, happy, and less "sick feeling". It is, by far, one of the best decisions that I've every made for myself. Thanks again!

event.png  post-27786-0-82152600-1418041933_thumb.j

Do it Now. Sometimes 'Later' becomes 'Never'.         

#20 jft

jft

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 877 posts
  • quitdate:
    2014-08-03
  • LocationUK

Posted 21 January 2015 - 12:19 PM

What a post - and did I need it today! You have no idea how much reading that you too took time to adjust to being a non-smoker - even though you knew that was all you wanted to be - strengthens my resolve, as there are still times when I think I am never going to feel 'whole' again, even though I smoked for 40+ years and have only been quit for five months.................

I should do the maths!

Jane

post-27786-0-82152600-1418041933_thumb.j

1407105000_15_1_GBP_9_default.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users