• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,672 posts
  • quitdate:
    2014-11-11
  • LocationPacific Northwest

Posted 16 January 2015 - 06:17 PM

POPULAR

As I'm now chasing the tweenie label, and have been thinking a lot about the concerns I have had regading No Man's Land, its got me thinking again.
As most of you know, that means I'm going to ramble.

Although I am not one that needs a lot of kudos, it seems that it is a necessary part of this process for a while.
We make it through day 1 HURRAH!!!!!!!!!!
We make it through hell week HURRAY!!!!
Heck week over, " I feel better" HURRAy!!
Two weeks, wow, learning to get through the craves, HURRay!
Three weeks, can be around my friends and family without committing a felony, HURray
Four weeks, nerves under control, waistband a little tight, not bad, HUrray
Five weeks, walking, eating right, digestion shut down, but not smoking, Hurray
Six weeks, no craves, no moods, no smoking, digestion shut down, HUH?
Seven to eight weeks, no one wants to know but you, how you are doing. By the way, my digestion is shut down!
They really stopped wanting to hear weeks ago, you just kept talking about it. You can see it in their eyes when you walk up. They probably have a pool about how long it will take you to bring it up. Or even worse, the day your digestion works!
Yeah, wow woot woot yippee, big deal.
Hello No Man's Land'
How am i going to keep going with this?
I need to bring my own ballons to the party. I know my friends and family care, but they dont get it.
Even as firm as I have been since day one, this is one of the hardest things I have ever done. I know it, thats all that matters.
As i reach the little milestones ahead, I need to be the one who says HURRAY!!!!!.
I need to be the one who acknowledges the accomplishments. Afterall, in the end, I made the decision to quit, I made it through hell week, heck week, and i am the one who may never digest food again.
I need to remind myself everyday, how much I have accomplished, BEFORE I have a chance to get weak. In that way, I can stay ahead, be ready to face any challenge with a strong defense.
Smoking is no longer an option for me. Smoking is just something I used to do. I control my actions, and smoking is a choice. I choose not to smoke, even if I never digest food again.
I found a website the other day, that actually teaches you HOW TO SMOKE. I couldn't believe it. It takes you through lighting it, drawing on it, how it feels.......Holy Crap I was feeling it!!!!! Two flipping months into this, and I was feeling it, and then I knew. I had to make mental ballons and carry them with me at all times.
Everyday is a celebration, everyday needs reminders, and everyday has its challenges. There is no one here, that can not do it. I'm not special. I'm just going to carry my own balloons.
Just sayin,

Gon
  • Frank, akm5720, marciem and 50 others like this
<p>event.png

Smoking is no longer an option for me. I no longer smoke. Smoking is just something that I used to do

Smoking is not treatment. Smoking is the cause.

The usual outcome is only that, because you let it be. The "quitter's" outcome is because we "make it be".

Beat the urge, and the urge will stop beating you.

#2 MissyCat

MissyCat

2014 Avenger

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,513 posts
  • quitdate:
    2014-10-21
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 16 January 2015 - 06:23 PM

Made me smile Gon. Here's to Balloons! I have a visual now.
  • gonfishn21 likes this
Carol
A 2014 Avenger
Smoke free since October 21, 2014

ddl449.jpg

1413921600_25_1_USD_8_default.png

#3 slave2 three

slave2 three

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 262 posts
  • quitdate:
    2014-11-28
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 16 January 2015 - 06:26 PM

LOL, I'm hearing ya

I'm sure everyone is sick of hearing me bang on about quitting the cigs too but it is a HUGE thing we have done. It sure beats the Hell out of listening to someone complaining 24/7 though. I must say, I don't care - I still talk about it. I post a weekly update on FB every week also. Why not cheer ourselves on? There aren't too many people who are actively trying to improve their lives I've noticed so why not spread the cheer and set an example?! 

I actually feel happy for the first time in years and I'm not going to tone it down for the sake of anyone. :D Keep it up Gon

• gonfishn21 and JMM like this

event.png

It’s not who you are that holds you back, it’s who you think you’re not. 

Class of the 2014 Avengers

#4 gonfishn21

gonfishn21

Old Pharte

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,672 posts
  • quitdate:
    2014-11-11

Posted 16 January 2015 - 06:33 PM

Nothing like a good ramble now and then!
<p>event.png

Smoking is no longer an option for me. I no longer smoke. Smoking is just something that I used to do

The usual outcome is only that, because you let it be. The "quitter's" outcome is because we "make it be".

#5 Nancy.

Nancy.

Keeperbie

• Moderators
  • 12,600 posts
  • quitdate:
    2013-07-07
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 16 January 2015 - 06:34 PM

Love it!!

Nancy

event.png

image.png?base_img=1&size=0&date_yr=2013

N.O.P.E. soldier_girl.gif
The only people who have craves forever are people that don't quit smoking ~ Eric
One puff is too much and 1000 cartons are not enough. ~ Hal

#6 PuttiCat

PuttiCat

2015 BadAsh

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 16 January 2015 - 07:04 PM

Great post, Gon!  So true!!!   :)

BTW, are you currently suffering with digestive issues?

• PipB and gonfishn21 like this

Free since January 2015

Live life and prosper

2dr760j.jpg

2015 BadAshes

#7 gonfishn21

gonfishn21

Old Pharte

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,672 posts
  • quitdate:
    2014-11-11

Posted 16 January 2015 - 07:43 PM

Yes. Putti,
I am still suffering. Been to the doctor twice, was in the hospital over the holidays.
Everyone still thinks they will right themselves. I know it is common. Everytime I start to improve, it stops again.
Discouraging, but still safer than smoking!

Gon
  • Dors67 and josan333 like this
<p>event.png

#8 gonfishn21

gonfishn21

Old Pharte

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,672 posts
  • quitdate:
    2014-11-11

Posted 16 January 2015 - 07:49 PM

By the way all, I really do know how to spell balloons.

oh jeesh......
<p>event.png

#9 PuttiCat

PuttiCat

2015 BadAsh

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 16 January 2015 - 08:22 PM

Gon,

My digestion stopped when I gave up caffeine...gosh, I think that was back in 2006 maybe?  This is a very long, complicated story so I will try to keep to the main points only; otherwise, I would have to write a book.

My mom was on me to take calcium supplements because she has osteoporosis and calcium is what a lot of doctors recommend (I totally disagree but let's get on with the story).  After some time, I started experiencing anxiety when I had coffee.  I went to the doctor and the doctor said to avoid caffeine (another thing that was wrong but let's continue).  Unaware of the fact that I was a caffeine addict, I went off of it cold turkey.  The next day, I felt like half of my head was missing.

I started feeling worse and worse.  It turned out that my symptoms were migraine disease symptoms.  I'm not talking about your simple migraine headache which I used to get on occasion in my 20's.  I didn't actually have a headache but it felt like my head was too heavy for my neck.  And my digestive system basically shut down.  I had no appetite and when I did eat, I felt bad because I wasn't digesting the food.  So, I was anorexic.  These are symptoms of migraine disease.  I tried going back to coffee but it was too late.  My brain had already adjusted to no caffeine so it had no positive effect and actually made me feel even worse!!

So I was sent from doctor to doctor.  I was referred to a neurologist.  He included massage therapy and prescribed a suped-up version of Advil which enabled me to barely get through a work day but really did not fix my problem.  Through research, I learned that taking the calcium supplement was a big part of my problem so I quit taking it but I still had terrible symptoms.  I then learned that my symptoms were associated with magnesium deficiency.  So, I started taking magnesium supplements.  This eventually cured my symptoms but it did take time (at least a month).

Now, if I have food high in calcium, I take extra magnesium.  Another thing I have learned about more recently is that a lot of us are deficient in iodine.  I have recently started supplementing with iodine and now, finally, I am not as dependent on the magnesium supplements.  I always wondered why I had to keep taking the magnesium supplements year after year.  I do still take the magnesium supplements though but it's not a big problem if I skip a day.

Another thing...a lot of people have problems digesting wheat and dairy.  You may want to consider eliminating both and see what happens.

If you're feeling really brave, get rid of the sugar which is poison to us!!!  I know it tastes good but it wreaks havoc on our body and is a cause/contributor to a lot of the diseases that plague us.

Anyway, I hope this information may help you with your problems Gon!  I wish you well girl!!

Putti

• Shrub1122 likes this

Free since January 2015

Live life and prosper

2dr760j.jpg

2015 BadAshes

#10 gonfishn21

gonfishn21

Old Pharte

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,672 posts
  • quitdate:
    2014-11-11

Posted 16 January 2015 - 08:41 PM

Thanks Putti,
I appreciate the input. Bowel problems are not uncommon when you quit smoking. I think it's 1 in 5 will have trouble. I think since I had a pretty good case of quitters flu, my body is going to have a struggle in healiing. It's just my cross to bear.

I have stepped up my walking, drink water or juice constantly. I drank a lot of coffee when I smoked. Several cups all day long. Now, I have lost my desire for it after a couple cups in the morning. Everyone I talk too tells me it should start to subside soon. So far, they have all given me the straight poop, (pun intended), so I hope soon. It's been over a month. Right now all I can say is thank goodness for Magnesium Citrate. Colace is not working for me, starting Miralax today. I had no idea what effect nicotine had on digestion.

I will say I had chronic migraines before I quit. Two a month was a good month. I have had one since quitting. I think it is all connected.
  • josan333 likes this
<p>event.png

#11 Flutterby

Flutterby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,945 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 08:44 PM

Fantastic post and spot on!  Here's a whole slew of balloons just for you.

Colorful-balloons-to-make-you-happy-tedd

• gonfishn21, oahusurfer82 and Rozuki like this

#12 PuttiCat

PuttiCat

2015 BadAsh

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 16 January 2015 - 08:47 PM

I take 400 mg chelated magnesium every day, half in the morning and half before I go to sleep...

And, as you already know, stay hydrated!

Free since January 2015

Live life and prosper

2dr760j.jpg

2015 BadAshes

#13 gonfishn21

gonfishn21

Old Pharte

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,672 posts
  • quitdate:
    2014-11-11

Posted 16 January 2015 - 08:54 PM

Thanks Putti,
I may very well give that a shot. This is truly wearing me down.
<p>event.png

#14 jewel6018

jewel6018

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 09:23 PM

Great post Gon. Sorry to hear of your stomach problems, I hope it gets better soon.
I am still early in my quit but so understand yor balloon analogy.
Even with my slips everyone in my family thinks I am doing great. I am now but wasn't in the past.
I guess I will carry my own balloms like you.
  • gonfishn21 likes this

Smoking is Not An Option
One Day At a Time
NOPE

#15 PuttiCat

PuttiCat

2015 BadAsh

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 16 January 2015 - 09:25 PM

If you are not digesting your food properly, you are not getting the nutrients that your body needs.

Good luck Gon!!!  Be well...

• gonfishn21 and Milla like this

Free since January 2015

Live life and prosper

2dr760j.jpg

2015 BadAshes

#16 Kathleen0515

Kathleen0515

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,796 posts
  • LocationDown by the River

Posted 16 January 2015 - 10:46 PM

Great post Gon. Cleverly written (as always) but also contains an important message. And, even though you're carrying your own balloons, I hope you don't mind.......

animated-balloon-image-0030.gif

• gonfishn21, JMM, want2b free and 1 other like this

image.png?base_img=1&size=0&date_yr=2012

phpus0IwXPM1_zps54aa894a.jpg"

"Grammy, why are you putting smoke in your body?"

I stopped putting smoke in my body on June 28, 2012. 

#17 Dors67

Dors67

Avenger 2014 :)

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,577 posts
  • quitdate:
    2014-03-07
  • LocationCyberLand

Posted 16 January 2015 - 11:02 PM

Here you go Gon

88573.jpg?zm=1600,1600,1,0,0

and also this is for you too                         mirror_cat_as_lion1.jpg

Look in that mirror everyday and tell yourself how proud you are of what you have done...You have claimed your life back...

Freedom from this addiction is definitely something to be celebrated and even if it is just you in front of that mirror gratulating yourself...YOU did it...YOU.

btw your rants are very uplifting....thankyou and keep on ranting :)

Dors

and Ralph says Woof....he reckons your alright also :mrgreen:

• donvesta, Shrub1122, MissyCat and 2 others like this
image.png?base_img=2&size=0&date_yr=2014event.png<p> 2014 AVENGER 2j3342d.jpg

#18 Guest_Phoebe77_*

Guest_Phoebe77_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 January 2015 - 11:20 PM

Of course we all need to carry our own balloons. If we rely on the others we'll be sadly disappointed, only because the balloons mean a lot more to us than anyone else. They are interested in their own balloons.

PS I can't blow up my own balloons. I have a latex allergy. So I've learned to find other ways of celebrating my achievements ;)

Ice cream comes to mind.

• gonfishn21 likes this

#19 gonfishn21

gonfishn21

Old Pharte

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,672 posts
  • quitdate:
    2014-11-11

Posted 16 January 2015 - 11:44 PM

Thanks all!
By the response, I'm thinking I should have said I guess I'll carry my own money!
Hahahahaha !
  • Wee me :) likes this
<p>event.png

#20 Shrub1122

Shrub1122

2014 Avenger

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,944 posts
  • quitdate:
    2014-10-18
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 17 January 2015 - 02:14 AM

Thanks all!
By the response, I'm thinking I should have said I guess I'll carry my own money!
Hahahahaha !

I don't get this???? Did I miss something?
That post was spectacular indeed.

Although as you know I am disappointed that we don't get to see you splatter into a version of Olive Oil LOL.....

Yes, as agreed earlier, I am sick and twisted.......

back to being nice.

have you had a food intolerance test done?

it's not that expensive and they prick your finger and send of a sample to a lab and can tell what your body is intolerant to.

Wheat, dairy etc...

I had it done and was very bummed to find out that mine is eggs.

.... And I used to eat a boiled egg practically every day!

now it's a treat once in a blue moon and boy do I enjoy it.

I do hope that you get yo the bottom of it Gon as I know it's difficult for you to put up with day in and day out.

Hugs to you

Shrub
event.png

The little cilia scrubbing bubbles were out of work for a very long time! Give them the job security that they were born to do! 24/7 cleaning your lungs, YAY!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users