Photo

Not smoking but restarting Chantix, anyway.

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#61 Chrysalis

Chrysalis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,826 posts
  • quitdate:
    2014-03-28
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 20 August 2014 - 09:58 PM

Just one more comment...I keep peeking in to check on you Chrysalis.  Very happy you seem to have made a good decision and are feeling better. 

Keep up the good work!  :)

Thanks! ;)

Note to self: Even if I do smoke ONE cigarette and that ONE cigarette gives me relief from these AWFUL feelings, how long will that relief last? Forever? No, of course not. All day? No. An hour? Unlikely. I know perfectly well that the relief I feel, such as it is, will only last about 15 minutes before I'm right back to where I am now-- NEEDING just ONE cigarette to deal with these AWFUL feelings.  All right-- forget it! Forget the d*** cigarette! N.O.P.E.

image.png?base_img=3&size=0&date_yr=2014

2j3342d.jpg

#62 Mgarucci

Mgarucci

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
  • quitdate:
    2014-07-27
  • LocationCleveland, OH

Posted 20 August 2014 - 11:59 PM

Follow up---

Well, I have been taking the low dose of Chantix for just over a week now. All my craves stopped pretty much immediately. My conclusion is that it worked to avert my impending relapse. It also seems to be helping to reduce my stress eating (especially at night) so it is easier for me to stay within my calorie limit each day.

I met with my doctor this morning and we discussed me re-starting Chantix. He said that he thinks that most of the time the best way to handle stress is to get some exercise, even if that just means going out for a walk. But if the craves continue regardless of exercise and threaten my quit, he has no problem with the low dose Chantix. I told him that I expect to stay on it another 3 or 4 weeks until my mother's health crisis is over. He said that's fine. 

So there you have it, folks. I am happy with my decision, I kept my quit and my doctor is fine with it. I don't think this topic needs any more discussion.  

Happy to hear you feel more in the driver's seat Chrys. Funny you mention exercising...I just started Zumba classes - and I have to say they are fun. I never would have attempted them while I was a smoker for fear I couldn't breathe. To my surprise after only (almost!) 3 weeks clean I had absolutely no problem - it was the rest of my body that was fighting it. lol. Anyway, it seems to have helped me since the class is in the evening and that was "my" time. I do recommend trying something and I think walking is a great start - helps to clear the mind too. I'm thinking about you :)

image.png?base_img=2&size=0&date_yr=2014

3a7dd0bc04b9d037383fd8e65282.png

#63 PipB

PipB

Yay I did it !

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,161 posts
  • quitdate:
    2013-07-11
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 21 August 2014 - 12:44 AM

Yay Chrys - glad you are feeling more in control. Do whatever you need to protect your quit - it is precious :-)
  • Miracle likes this
ijm3z17qn.png[/url

My Freedom Date was 11 July 2013

#64 Chrysalis

Chrysalis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,826 posts
  • quitdate:
    2014-03-28
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 21 August 2014 - 01:10 PM

Huh! I just realized something. When I went to see my doctor yesterday I had intended to ask him about taking Zyban (buproprion) instead of or after Chantix during extremely stressful times. (Mostly thinking of Bassman's example.) I forgot to ask.

While I am sorry that I don't have that information, I think that my "forgetting" means that I really just want to stay on the Chantix. If anybody else ever has such a conversation with their doctor (low dose Chantix vs. Zyban long AFTER you quit smoking) please let us know. 

Note to self: Even if I do smoke ONE cigarette and that ONE cigarette gives me relief from these AWFUL feelings, how long will that relief last? Forever? No, of course not. All day? No. An hour? Unlikely. I know perfectly well that the relief I feel, such as it is, will only last about 15 minutes before I'm right back to where I am now-- NEEDING just ONE cigarette to deal with these AWFUL feelings.  All right-- forget it! Forget the d*** cigarette! N.O.P.E.

2j3342d.jpg

#65 Law712

Law712

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 253 posts
  • quitdate:
    2014-05-10
  • LocationOyster Bay NY

Posted 21 August 2014 - 04:10 PM

Ugh, I see both sides of this I think… In the 4th month of my quit... Off Chantix completely just about a month… I too get some crazy craves here and there but I try to "TRY TO" stop in my tracks, every time I hit one of these waves to try my best to identify exactly what that trigger was/is… I am NOT always successful and sometimes it just sucks for a bit and then I move on and forget…

I suspect that that is what it's all about… Still learning.

That in time, the "time" between the craves gets longer and longer until it's a far distant urge that you remember… This to me, is the "Freedom". Freedom from any addictive urge/thought what-so-ever… Like you Chrys, like all of us here, I suspect it's an endless journey but one that in time, WILL work itself out… I know you got a bunch of helpful advice here and I wish I could offer you more but to me…, Do whatever it takes to NOT SMOKE… Hey, who knows, if the Chantix works with your trial, so be it… Break some ground… Happy you're going to the Doctor, always the smart move...

One thing is for sure… We got your back…..  :mrgreen:

• dentalfloss likes this
image.png?base_img=1&size=0&date_yr=2014

Smoking is addictive, to stop the addiction, you stop smoking. Then you hold on...that's it!!
-Marti QSMB

#66 SharonSiff

SharonSiff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • quitdate:
    06/12/13
  • LocationEssex, UK

Posted 21 August 2014 - 04:28 PM

Honestly Law it really does work it self out. I found the 'urges' stopped after 6 months. Just stopped, no rhyme nor reason, just thankfully stopped and went to sleep.

Chrys so glad you took the initiative to protect your quit.
  • Law712 likes this
1371036600_30_1_GBP_6.20_dark.png

The sun always shines down in my Rainbow Valley...Love Affair.

If your success is not on your own terms, if it looks good to the world but does not feel good in your heart, it is not success at all.  Anna Quindlen.

#67 holyhell

holyhell

A 2014 Avenger

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,737 posts
  • quitdate:
    2014-01-23
  • LocationSmokeFreeLand

Posted 22 August 2014 - 02:22 AM

Dear Chrys,

So long as you don't get into the ecig and NRT trap after your 3 months solid quit is a good thing. 

Keep walking the walk of a non-smoker.  Keep that chin up that you are true to your quit. 

You have my utmost admiration and respect dear Chrys.

It's not easy but you have done what is necessary to address your personal quit. 

That is bottom line.  <hug> :)

1cf13b0e13.png      th_imagejpg11_zps41a23c3b.jpg

Only one puff away from a pack a day

Saying yes to one invites the thousands hiding behind that one

A successful quit is a life-preserver through the trials of life

A crave passes whether you smoke or not

I stopped the damage at 5:27 pm Thursday, January 23, 2014

#68 Flutterby

Flutterby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,945 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 04:08 AM

Chrysalis whatever you decide to do to keep your quit I totally support you.  I don't believe a quit is one size fits all.  Do whatever you need to do not to relapse.  Sorry you've been going through such a difficult time  (((HUGS))) to you.

#69 J-lin

J-lin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-10-21
  • Locationcanada

Posted 03 September 2014 - 03:45 AM

Hmmm, glad everything is working out well Chrysalis, and it is useful for us to observe.  I suppose if I come to a period in life where I am feeling weak and completely overwhelmed I may take the same route.  Of course I hope to avoid this, but I will make a promise to myself that if I ever am on verge of relapse I'll try Chantix first.  I still have some pills left over from my original course of treatment which I ended much earlier than suggested. 

1477177200_20_1_USD_10_default.png
79be36d54e.png

#70 J-lin

J-lin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-10-21
  • Locationcanada

Posted 03 September 2014 - 03:47 AM

Although truth be told I'd be worried about re-experiencing cravings after stopping Chantix.  Let us know how it goes.

1477177200_20_1_USD_10_default.png
79be36d54e.png

#71 Chrysalis

Chrysalis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,826 posts
  • quitdate:
    2014-03-28
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 03 September 2014 - 04:00 AM

Hi, J-lin. I only re-started the Chantix for a week or maybe it was 2 weeks. I forget. And I was only taking 1/2 pill per day. I had no withdrawal symptoms this time, although I did when I first stopped the Chantix. So no problem this time.

2j3342d.jpg

#72 Miracle

Miracle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,578 posts
  • quitdate:
    2014-05-23

Posted 03 September 2014 - 04:13 AM

Hey Chrysalis,

I may have missed that update?  Hadn't heard you already stopped the Chantix again.  That's terrific!  Congrats.  :)

6pdz9qeyh.png

1400905800_20_1_USD_4_default.png

"However, it is essential that you remove this belief, because if you believe that you are dependent on nicotine, you will be, even after the little nicotine monster inside your body is dead. It is essential to remove all of the brainwashing."  Allen Carr, Easy Way to Quit Smoking, Chapter 24

#73 Chrysalis

Chrysalis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,826 posts
  • quitdate:
    2014-03-28
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 05 September 2014 - 10:39 PM

Yes, I expected to stay on the Chantix until after my mother's surgery (which would have been a total of 3 or 4 weeks). But I didn't think I needed it any more after 10 days or so and I stopped. No problem stopping it.

I did bring the Chantix with me when I went to Florida to be with my mother for her surgery, but luckily I haven't needed it.  

2j3342d.jpg

#74 Chrysalis

Chrysalis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,826 posts
  • quitdate:
    2014-03-28
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 29 October 2014 - 03:14 PM

Just a brief follow-up...

After a very rocky couple of weeks in August, things calmed down and I have had no significant urges to smoke since then. As a matter of fact, I had my 7 month anniversary a couple of days ago. Interestingly, I didn't remember that it was my anniversary; somebody else reminded me. So I am happy to report that I no longer count the days and the weeks since I quit-- I just consider myself a non-smoker now. Hooray!! 

Yes, I do sometimes think of smoking. But it's just a thought not a crave and I immediately dismiss the thought and get on with my life. Looks like the Olde Phartes were right again-- even though there will be rough spots, as you keep your quit it gets easier and easier every day. It's the truth.

• holyhell and noquitter like this

2j3342d.jpg

#75 holyhell

holyhell

A 2014 Avenger

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,737 posts
  • quitdate:
    2014-01-23
  • LocationSmokeFreeLand

Posted 29 October 2014 - 09:58 PM

Congrats on 7 months Chrys!  You've been so helpful here for all quitters great and small.  Keep hold of the rope.  For yourself and for the quitters following you. :)

1cf13b0e13.png      th_imagejpg11_zps41a23c3b.jpg

Only one puff away from a pack a day

Saying yes to one invites the thousands hiding behind that one

A successful quit is a life-preserver through the trials of life

A crave passes whether you smoke or not

I stopped the damage at 5:27 pm Thursday, January 23, 2014

#76 Guest__Luna__*

Guest__Luna__*
  • Guests

Posted 29 October 2014 - 11:32 PM

I think it's awesome when you can put it out of your mind as not to count the days..weeks..months!
It shows just how removed your thoughts are about smoking.

#77 Trudey4ever

Trudey4ever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 11 May 2016 - 10:50 PM

Hi Chrysalis! I'm new here and not qua lifted to give any advice since I only quit 7 days ago. I can relate to your post, though. Even though I haven't had the urge to smoke, I miss the socialization that my husband and I had while smoking. We would go out on the porch, smoke and talk. Or we would go for a ride, smoke and talk. Now we are just sitting in silence, trying to avoid our triggers. I agree with you that if there were no health risks from smoking, I'd probably never stop. My husband quit because he hated spending the money for something so stupid. With any addiction, we have to learn to function in life without our drug even if it makes everyday seem less fun. I wish you the very best and hope you find something to help you deal with the continued desire to smoke.
1462370400_20_1_USD_5_default.png

#78 Trudey4ever

Trudey4ever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 14 May 2016 - 02:00 AM

I just saw that this was a thread started in 2014. I'll pay attention to the dates before I post next time. Sorry about that :)
  • skillfulabbot likes this
1462370400_20_1_USD_5_default.png

#79 liv

liv

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio

Posted 24 June 2016 - 02:36 PM

I was going to go back on Chantix at 2 months and three weeks..but, I whined all over this palce;

talked to a couple people in text..prayed..cried..and made it through.you CAN do this.I have to change all my old habits..

in place of bad ones..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users