Photo

Pssst! I'll let you in on a little secret....

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#1 Kathleen0515

Kathleen0515

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,796 posts
  • LocationDown by the River

Posted 12 April 2014 - 09:56 PM

POPULAR

It's no big deal to be an Old Pharte. Sure, it's nice to achieve that milestone and receive all the accolades, but it's not hard anymore to not smoke. By one year, you are far into your new life as a nonsmoker and you don't have to struggle to stay that way. By one year, the benefits of your quit have improved your life and your lifestyle. You are reminded every single day how great it is to be a nonsmoker. Your bank account is bigger and your health is better. And for many of us, there is a whole new way of life outside of just getting rid of the cigarettes. We have discovered new activities we love, we eat better, we have a new found confidence, we're proud of ourselves. What's so hard about all this? You know who are MY heroes? That person who has been lurking here and has finally made the choice to quit. And those who just got past that magic 72 hour mark, or hit their one month milestone. My heroes are the people who have blind faith and believe us when we tell them it will get better. It's those who get up every morning and log onto the QSMB to make the daily pledge because they know that's the only thing that will keep them from smoking that day. It's the person who is out the door to buy cigarettes but instead turns around and posts that SOS. Newbies, you are why this board is here. You are the ones that are the big deal here! So, cheers to all those brave souls who one day will join us on the lido deck. You're in the trenches now, but keep on climbing and if you need help reach out and we'll grab your hand. Because you are why we do what we do. 

• avian3, Frank, islandgirl and 58 others like this

image.png?base_img=1&size=0&date_yr=2012

phpus0IwXPM1_zps54aa894a.jpg"

"Grammy, why are you putting smoke in your body?"

I stopped putting smoke in my body on June 28, 2012. 

#2 HumptyDumpty

HumptyDumpty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 492 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 10:01 PM

Awh thats lovely, you have a great way with words, you are soo lucky to be able to do that, I can only wish that x

#3 kinkash

kinkash

I once was blind, but now I see

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,936 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 12 April 2014 - 10:09 PM

Awesome post again!!!

Because you are why we do.......what we do!
  • Beacon likes this
When the student is ready...The teacher will appear-Soul
Fear of the quit is worse than the quit-Cookielinda
When you stop buying cig......You start paying for your addiction - jwg

Smoking is not some friend that brings you comfort. It is the Enemy that wants to kill you!
1330426800_20_1_USD_7_default.png

#4 ********

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,180 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 10:17 PM

So true and well written.

#5 QuitIsEasyDoneIt100x

QuitIsEasyDoneIt100x

Sink rate. Don't sink. Pull up! Pull up!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,138 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 11:39 PM

Excellent post Kathleen.  I couldn't agree more :D

The year is pretty arbitrary.   To me, being an old pharte is a mindset, not a date.  There is no restriction on when that happens.  I think for me it occurred around the 8 month mark.

Someone like The Sarge, maybe a week ;)

• ******** and NOPEster like this

11/05/12
Keep on rocking that quit. headbanger.gif

Congratulations!  You have just discovered the secret text!  Have some cake. the_cake_is_a_lie_portal.jpg

Cigarettes are like squirrels - harmless until you put one in your mouth and set it on fire.

#6 Kerri

Kerri

Nicotine Free & Loving Life

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,328 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 11:50 PM

I'm here and nicotine free.
I had blind faith in those that went before me.
And they did not deceive. They were right!
There is nothing to fear.
It does get better.
At 4 months, it IS better.
I am looking forward to the freedom I will feel at 1 year......and beyond.
Anyone is capable of quitting and the support I have received from this forum gave me so much additional confidence that I could do it.

All of us....complete strangers.....have confidence that YOU can quit too....believe us...you won't regret it!

Seriously, what do you have to lose?
  • QuitIsEasyDoneIt100x and Ellie2 like this

NICOTINE FREE SINCE NOVEMBER 30TH, 2014, & LOVING IT!!!!!!!

If you have come to terms with your nicotine addiction there is no disputing the definition of "quitting".......it is crystal clear.

#7 Bassman

Bassman

Don't fear quitting, fear not quitting...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,924 posts
  • quitdate:
    2014-01-04
  • LocationAtlanta Georgia, USA...

Posted 13 April 2014 - 12:05 AM

Very good write up Kathleen....

Well, one year for me will be another reason to do a celebration........I love celebrations. ....I may have to do mine at 1.5 years since my year anniversary is in dead of winter. But it will give me another reason for another barbecue swim party in June. But more importantly, it will be a reminder of why I will never smoke again. Even when everyone else is tired of me celebrating a quit smoke, I will kmow its true importan to me.

Yes, all those others are heros for me too..........Bassman

<p>image.png?base_img=3&size=0&date_yr=2014

Link to all my nosmoking songs for QSMB:
http://www.youtube.c...=pathagawarts54
+2j3342d.jpg

I think I can - I know I can - I did
You're a post away to stay smoke free today.....
Quitting may not always easy, but it's always right...stay quit......
I gave myself the gift of quitting, I will not take that gift away from myself.......
My time of suffering is over, its the addictions time to suffer.......

#8 Jeni

Jeni

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,286 posts
  • quitdate:
    04/03/13
  • LocationChester County, PA

Posted 13 April 2014 - 01:17 AM

Brilliant, as always, Kathleen. At just over one year quit, I promise all of you who are just starting out that there is the other side of the mountain waiting for you. All you have to do is take that first step by putting out your last cigarette. We will be here to help you all along the way!
  • Kathleen0515 likes this

#9 Breatheasy2

Breatheasy2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,499 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 01:20 AM

Another great post Kathleen!!

You're on a roll. :-)

The life blood of the QSMB is those newer to their quits because it is usually the early days and months when the battle is lost or won.

It's wonderful witnessing over comers of this deadly addiction. 

• Jeni and Kathleen0515 like this

~Happily Quit and Free since 7 June 2012

#10 kinkash

kinkash

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,936 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 13 April 2014 - 01:49 AM

^^^ that Chica got a way with words. I'm saying this with the utmost respect....we've had many men here that can lay down the truth when it comes to quitting ( jwg, christolbal, Craig, breath , and David ), but the women can put it down as well...( Kat, Jo, Marcie,Popi, and Soul)... I don't have the gift, but I love it when they post and/or respond ...I also see others that are going to be awesome posters( Leah ), but when I think about it....all support/posts are good, and we never know what message is the one...keep em coming
  • leahcaR likes this

Smoking is not some friend that brings you comfort. It is the Enemy that wants to kill you!

#11 Chrysalis

Chrysalis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,826 posts
  • quitdate:
    2014-03-28
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 13 April 2014 - 02:08 AM

Thank you so much for the beautifully written post, Kathleen. I will take your words in and try to remember them when the going gets rough. 

• Jeni and Kathleen0515 like this

Note to self: Even if I do smoke ONE cigarette and that ONE cigarette gives me relief from these AWFUL feelings, how long will that relief last? Forever? No, of course not. All day? No. An hour? Unlikely. I know perfectly well that the relief I feel, such as it is, will only last about 15 minutes before I'm right back to where I am now-- NEEDING just ONE cigarette to deal with these AWFUL feelings.  All right-- forget it! Forget the d*** cigarette! N.O.P.E.

image.png?base_img=3&size=0&date_yr=2014

2j3342d.jpg

#12 evilbunnee

evilbunnee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 951 posts
  • quitdate:
    2013-02-13
  • LocationCanada

Posted 13 April 2014 - 03:15 AM

So true. Every word :)

*like*

:D
(\ (\
(='.')
o(_”)”)

event.png

#13 Cristobal

Cristobal

A Very Happy & Free Non-Smoker ... ¡ N.O.P.E. !

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
  • quitdate:
    2012-10-14
  • LocationBaja California Peninsula, México.

Posted 13 April 2014 - 06:06 AM

Wonderful post Kathleen !!!

The 1 year mark is important because you complete the year cicle of triggers, but when you finally get there living life as a non-smoker is as easy as just breathing.

Cristóbal 

► I am a ** OLDE PHARTE ** (1 year + :grin: ) !!!
► I smoked 30 years, 2 packs a day ... Bleah ..... :shock: :shock: :shock:
► 14 October 2012 - ¡ This day I took control .... and took back my freedom ! :grin: :grin: :grin:

► ¡ Cold Turkey On A Whim ! :lol: :lol: :lol:
¿¿ How to quit and *STAY* quit ??
¡¡¡ Rocket Science !!! (N.O.P.E. - Not.One.Puff.Ever .... Just For Today)

My Quit & First Post: http://www.quitsmoki...php?f=2&t=46786

Posted Image

#14 christine1960

christine1960

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 896 posts
  • quitdate:
    07/26/2011

Posted 14 April 2014 - 11:10 PM

Kathleen,
What a novel way of looking at things! We (the pharts) are the ones who are relaxing and enjoying being non-smokers. The newbies are still fighting the addiction. It's posts like this that make me miss you so much when you are gone!

Posted Image

#15 katerina

katerina

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • quitdate:
    7/4/2014
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 15 April 2014 - 02:43 AM

I just cant wait to be an Old Pharte u know..... nice post btw.

It's no big deal to be an Old Pharte. Sure, it's nice to achieve that milestone and receive all the accolades, but it's not hard anymore to not smoke. By one year, you are far into your new life as a nonsmoker and you don't have to struggle to stay that way. By one year, the benefits of your quit have improved your life and your lifestyle. You are reminded every single day how great it is to be a nonsmoker. Your bank account is bigger and your health is better. And for many of us, there is a whole new way of life outside of just getting rid of the cigarettes. We have discovered new activities we love, we eat better, we have a new found confidence, we're proud of ourselves. What's so hard about all this? You know who are MY heroes? That person who has been lurking here and has finally made the choice to quit. And those who just got past that magic 72 hour mark, or hit their one month milestone. My heroes are the people who have blind faith and believe us when we tell them it will get better. It's those who get up every morning and log onto the QSMB to make the daily pledge because they know that's the only thing that will keep them from smoking that day. It's the person who is out the door to buy cigarettes but instead turns around and posts that SOS. Newbies, you are why this board is here. You are the ones that are the big deal here! So, cheers to all those brave souls who one day will join us on the lido deck. You're in the trenches now, but keep on climbing and if you need help reach out and we'll grab your hand. Because you are why we do what we do.

#16 Kathleen0515

Kathleen0515

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,796 posts
  • LocationDown by the River

Posted 15 April 2014 - 02:53 AM

I just cant wait to be an Old Pharte u know..... nice post btw.

And I can't wait to celebrate with you Katerina  :smile:  It will be wonderful to witness your journey, and watch you come "full circle".

• kinkash likes this

image.png?base_img=1&size=0&date_yr=2012

phpus0IwXPM1_zps54aa894a.jpg"

"Grammy, why are you putting smoke in your body?"

I stopped putting smoke in my body on June 28, 2012. 

#17 roguedreams

roguedreams

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Locationin my dreams (rogue ones, I tell you)

Posted 15 April 2014 - 05:19 AM

Crazy. I just signed up for this forum and this was the first post I read. (I guess I really was curious what the secret was, lol) - I didn't think the secret would be me!

Still smoking but dying to quit (har, har). Will be posting a "new here" thread soon, I'm sure.

But wow. I'm still stunned this was the first thing I read. Already ups my confidence that I can quit! Thank YOU!!!! :-P

• Nancy., Kathleen0515 and Kate18 like this

On a mission to eradicate all the addictions in my life - replacing them with healthy, fun endeavors :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

quit alcohol 4/2/14

began exercise regime 4/9/14

here to quit smoking :ph34r:

eventual missions:

:arrow: reduce and then eliminate caffeine and diet coke

:arrow: pursue fitness and do "all the things" I couldn't do when I was drinking and smoking!

#18 kinkash

kinkash

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,936 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 15 April 2014 - 11:08 AM

Crazy. I just signed up for this forum and this was the first post I read. (I guess I really was curious what the secret was, lol) - I didn't think the secret would be me!

Still smoking but dying to quit (har, har). Will be posting a "new here" thread soon, I'm sure.

But wow. I'm still stunned this was the first thing I read. Already ups my confidence that I can quit! Thank YOU!!!! :-P

We will be waiting. Set the date and LETS DO THIS!

#19 Chrisp812

Chrisp812

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 971 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 15 April 2014 - 12:44 PM

Word.

image.png?base_img=6&size=0&date_yr=2013

#20 Craig

Craig

Quitter!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,174 posts
  • quitdate:
    16APR2013
  • LocationMobile, Alabama USA

Posted 15 April 2014 - 02:26 PM

Beautiful post, Kathleen.

image.png?base_img=5&size=0&date_yr=2013   

That which does not kill us makes us stronger.
-Friedrich Nietzsche

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users