Poprini

2012 Nosmo Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,612 posts
  • LocationThemyscira

Posted 20 January 2014 - 02:23 AM

POPULAR

Welcome, I'm so glad you found us! You're probably here because you're thinking about quitting smoking or you have already quit and are looking for some extra support or reinforcement. Well, you've come to the right place! This is not an official post - just my own thoughts and tips on how to navigate an early quit and use the QSMB.

In the beginning

Firstly, CONGRATULATIONS!! By quitting, you give yourself a wonderful gift. I know it's probably scary but it IS the right thing to do. On some level you already know this. So praise yourself every day. Focus on the fact that you are liberating yourself from an addiction. You are not depriving yourself of anything. Stick around, communicate and read read READ read read. There's so much wisdom here. Stories and struggles and advice from scores and scores of people who have travelled the same path as you. Listen to them and go on this journey with the knowledge that it is the VERY BEST thing to do. It's wonderful! Celebrate! And even if you don't feel completely happy about it, try one of my favourite techniques which is "Fake it till you Make it". Smile though gritted teeth if you have to, but say – "Hooray, I am free! Today I will not smoke and I will be free!" Do this every day.

After a while, you will realise that it is actually true. You won't have to fake it any more. It happens for everyone in different ways but it WILL happen. But ONLY if you follow the golden rule…do not smoke.

Smoking and relapsing is like being a mouse running in a wheel. If the mouse keeps running, the wheel keeps turning. The only way to stop the wheel is to stop running and get off it. Being a non smoker is much easier than being a smoker. This is the truth. I smoked for about 25 years and I've been a non smoker for a lot less than that but I already know it. And you will too…but only if you stop running and get off the wheel. It's like being a recovering alcoholic – you cannot have a drink because you risk a complete relapse. When the mouse starts running again, the wheel starts turning again. While a "sneaky" cigarette might not put you back to full time smoking, there is a substantial risk that it will. IT IS NOT worth the risk. Re-administering the drug of dependance means re-awakening the addiction. In this case, cigarettes are your drug of addiction. Do not re-administer them. Do not get back on the wheel.

Do whatever it takes to protect your quit. Treat it like a delicate seedling or a newborn baby. In time, the seedling becomes a tree and the baby becomes an adult. They can stand on their own. But in the early days they need a lot of care and protection. Just like your quit. Cup it in your hands, wrap your heart around it, love it and protect it.

At least part of you probably thinks you can't do this. You're not alone. I'd hazard a guess that we probably all felt like that…before we realised we COULD. I know it seems hard to believe at the moment or scary but you CAN do it. Quitting smoking is completely do-able. None of us are special. We were ALL addicted to smoking. If we could stop then you can. And not just stop smoking but love being free from it. Quitting is a journey…difficult, scary and emotional at times but also exciting, joyful and exhilarating.

The SOS commitment

If you ever feel on the verge of abandoning your quit, you must tell us and give us a chance to talk you out of it. Write a new thread with SOS in the subject line and explain what is going on for you. Wait for at least three replies (if people are around they will come flocking when they see SOS). Read some more of the newbie package or the links below while you wait. You might find you talk yourself out of it.

About the QSMB

The admin/board owners here don't really discuss quitting - they just do the IT, admin and moderatey stuff. The quit support comes from the community. We learn from each other and from many years and hundreds of hours and millions of words and tears and laughter shared. We share our experiences and those of others and research and ideas and links and films. There's SO much available to you. In fact you can be so busy just reading and watching everything that you plain won't have time to smoke!

I see the QSMB as being like a small town. There are myriad personality types and ages and backgrounds. There are locals, old timers, people who pop in and out and people who are just passing through. Everybody notices when a new person comes and they will rush to welcome you. The support here is real. The people are real. Like a small town there are traditions and belief systems that are shared and passed on. There is a culture here – it evolves like any culture but it has developed over time and is based on experience. The culture won't suit everybody and that's fine. You won't like everybody and that's fine too. Really – all you need is ONE person whose experience speaks to you. One voice or idea which strikes a chord. It might come from one of our staunch old timers, it might be someone only a few months ahead of you in their quit, it might be someone who has passed on and will never return. But there is truth and hope and wisdom here. So stick around for a while and check it out. Learn and be free.

Quit acronyms

NOPE: Not One Puff Ever
NTAP: Never Take Another Puff
SNOT: Smoking is Not an Option Today
NOPT: Not One Puff Today
KTQ: Keep The Quit
ETQ: Enjoy The Quit / Embrace The Quit
KIATQ: Keep It About The Quit

Quitter titles

NEWBIE: 1 Day - 3 Months.
TWEENIE: 3 - 6 Months.
YOUNG PHARTE: 6 Months - 1 Year.
OLD PHARTE: 1 Year +

NOSMO: Non smoker/No smoking

Reading material

The estimable newbie package is full of fantastic information. Make sure you also read the message board policies.

Some favourite articles/posts for quitting inspiration

You smoke because you're a smokaholic!
Mythbusting the addiction's lies
Knowledge is power

Summary Of Basic Recovery Tips
The new memo to your brain

You know - you don't want to be a smoker!
Keep climbing that rope, don't let go, it'll get easier
Urge Surfing
The things you say
Physical Symptoms after you Quit thread

Some last suggestions

I advise you to start reading the above links as well as current posts on the main board and get a feeling for the culture of the QSMB and the kind of ideas and philosophies that are practised here. When you're ready, post a greeting or introduction topic on the main board. Tell us where you're at in your quit journey and also your hopes or fears. The more we know, the more we can help. There are some people who just visit and read and that's fine…but I do recommend you eventually get involved. The level of support you will get is amazing.

Stand on your own two feet (metaphorically). It's important that you have control over your own quit…that your quit is not dependent on anyone else but you. So perhaps rather than look for one quit buddy, consider the whole board your quit team. Then if an individual is not available to you or worse – falters in their own quit – it won't matter. You weren't relying on them. Or you could develop a relationship with a quit mentor – someone who is well ahead of you in their quit and is secure and experienced. And if you prefer to have more private dialogues, Chat is a great way to develop relationships and get one-on-one support.

Take what you need and leave the rest. Like I said before – you won't connect with every person and every idea. It doesn't matter. One beautiful idea is sometimes all you need. One specific comment might be what gets you through the day. But at the same time, don't let any one person or one comment turn you away. There is room for all of us here. And that person who annoyed you on day 3 might be the person who gives you that ah-ha moment on day 20.

Support other people. Helping others also helps you.

I won't say good luck because you don't need it. You just need to make a decision. Do you want to be free? If the answer is yes then luck has nothing to do with it. It's your choice. Choose freedom.

My best to you,
Li

• patti1953, Hockeymom40, kiwi and 62 others like this

Feed the addiction and it will stay. Starve it and it will leave.

Method: Educated Cold Turkey :: Quit 1 June 2012 :: My Journey: 1 day to 1 year

#2 Agent99

Agent99

Keeperbie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,479 posts
  • quitdate:
    05/24/2012
  • LocationUnder the Sea

Posted 20 January 2014 - 02:26 AM

Bravo!  Very well done Poppi!

• Poprini, Mariemc, dajrocaffect and 2 others like this

image.png?base_img=6&size=0&date_yr=2012

4f8vpao0z.png

Bi_Girl_Cheerleaders.gifGo Quitters!!!

#3 ********

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,180 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 02:28 AM

Thanks Poprini!
  • dajrocaffect and Leslie Zimmerman like this

#4 babs609

babs609

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 02:28 AM

great post LI...I know you put a lot of time and effort in it!

Sweet!

#5 QuitIsEasyDoneIt100x

QuitIsEasyDoneIt100x

Sink rate. Don't sink. Pull up! Pull up!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,138 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 02:30 AM

Excellent post Li :grin:

This is sticky worthy.

• dajrocaffect likes this

11/05/12
Keep on rocking that quit. headbanger.gif

Congratulations!  You have just discovered the secret text!  Have some cake. the_cake_is_a_lie_portal.jpg

Cigarettes are like squirrels - harmless until you put one in your mouth and set it on fire.

#6 kinkash

kinkash

I once was blind, but now I see

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,936 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 20 January 2014 - 02:31 AM

Nice Li
  • dajrocaffect likes this
When the student is ready...The teacher will appear-Soul
Fear of the quit is worse than the quit-Cookielinda
When you stop buying cig......You start paying for your addiction - jwg

Smoking is not some friend that brings you comfort. It is the Enemy that wants to kill you!
1330426800_20_1_USD_7_default.png

#7 Nancy.

Nancy.

Keeperbie

• Moderators
  • 12,613 posts
  • quitdate:
    2013-07-07
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 20 January 2014 - 02:34 AM

Wonderful!

Nancy

event.png

image.png?base_img=1&size=0&date_yr=2013

N.O.P.E. soldier_girl.gif
The only people who have craves forever are people that don't quit smoking ~ Eric
One puff is too much and 1000 cartons are not enough. ~ Hal

#8 Poprini

Poprini

2012 Nosmo Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,612 posts
  • LocationThemyscira

Posted 20 January 2014 - 02:35 AM

Thanks my beautiful friends. xx

• babs609 likes this

Feed the addiction and it will stay. Starve it and it will leave.

Method: Educated Cold Turkey :: Quit 1 June 2012 :: My Journey: 1 day to 1 year

#9 Blondie

Blondie

Team A

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 598 posts
  • quitdate:
    2014-12-05
  • LocationArizona

Posted 20 January 2014 - 02:47 AM

Awesome welcome letter! I'd like it but I'm out...again :-(   This should be pinned!

"Most people, who have quit smoking, have had at least one unsuccessful try in the past. It is not important how many times you try to quit. The only important thing is, that eventually you stay quit"  Ralph Waldo Emerson

#10 Kerri

Kerri

Nicotine Free & Loving Life

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,328 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 02:53 AM

Thanks my beautiful friends. xx

What a great post!! This should be pinned for all the newbies and lurkers!
Thanks for taking the time to do this.

NICOTINE FREE SINCE NOVEMBER 30TH, 2014, & LOVING IT!!!!!!!

If you have come to terms with your nicotine addiction there is no disputing the definition of "quitting".......it is crystal clear.

#11 REZ

REZ

Egg Stealer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,152 posts
  • quitdate:
    2013-10-24
  • LocationUnknown

Posted 20 January 2014 - 02:55 AM

Very nice!

It should be required reading!

#12 Guest_Liziloo_*

Guest_Liziloo_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2014 - 03:21 AM

Beautifully said, Li. 

#13 Jeni

Jeni

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,291 posts
  • quitdate:
    04/03/13
  • LocationChester County, PA

Posted 20 January 2014 - 06:38 AM

Just awesome, Li! Made me want to quit all over again! :). Thank you!

#14 Cristobal

Cristobal

A Very Happy & Free Non-Smoker ... ¡ N.O.P.E. !

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
  • quitdate:
    2012-10-14
  • LocationBaja California Peninsula, México.

Posted 20 January 2014 - 06:50 AM

Excellent post Li !!!

Cristóbal

► I am a ** OLDE PHARTE ** (1 year + :grin: ) !!!
► I smoked 30 years, 2 packs a day ... Bleah ..... :shock: :shock: :shock:
► 14 October 2012 - ¡ This day I took control .... and took back my freedom ! :grin: :grin: :grin:

► ¡ Cold Turkey On A Whim ! :lol: :lol: :lol:
¿¿ How to quit and *STAY* quit ??
¡¡¡ Rocket Science !!! (N.O.P.E. - Not.One.Puff.Ever .... Just For Today)

My Quit & First Post: http://www.quitsmoki...php?f=2&t=46786

Posted Image

#15 Tracey1

Tracey1

BB

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,939 posts
  • quitdate:
    22/11/13
  • LocationEngland UK

Posted 20 January 2014 - 07:42 AM

awesome thanks :)

My quit date started 22/11/13 :)

FEEL THE FEAR BUT DO IT ANYWAY!

il_340x270.558851243_gtu9.jpg

#16 tommyf

tommyf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 482 posts
  • quitdate:
  • LocationHong Kong

Posted 20 January 2014 - 07:43 AM

Make it sticky! :D

1381588200_15_1_USD_6_default.png

#17 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2014 - 08:34 AM

Thanks Li, you really are Wonderwoman. :D

#18 breath

breath

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,120 posts
  • LocationWarwickshire

Posted 20 January 2014 - 09:09 AM

Perfect popi

• DMV likes this

Relapse is like peeling an onion. TEARS!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it"

George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950}

NOPE stands for Not One Puff EVER....

It does not stand for......

Not One Puff EXCEPT...

The minimum requirement is maximum commitment....to NOPE

It takes many good decisions to make a good quit, and  only one bad one to lose it.

Quit 2nd October 2001.

#19 scottinpa

scottinpa

completed

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,775 posts
  • LocationBucks County, Pennsylvania, USA

Posted 20 January 2014 - 09:40 AM

I agree!!

Make it sticky!!
scottinpa
Please ignore my spelling... I can't type

"I have quit smoking,.. I am never going to smoke again, I am not sure how I know this... I just do.

QUOTING JWG.... " The hardest step to quitting is the first one, the second most difficult is the second. from there each step , each day , gets you further down the path .. mind you , each day dose not get easier untill you allow it to be so" .. and I add... " It is entirely up to you!! "

#20 Fay2013

Fay2013

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,269 posts
  • quitdate:
    5/12/2013
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 20 January 2014 - 11:11 AM

Nice post!

q4rfdm2hz.png