#1 jwg

jwg

Invisible Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,398 posts
  • Locationsomeplace in the clouds

Posted 12 December 2013 - 05:19 PM

A lazy Texas river spanning form Kerr county Texas to the San Antonio bay on the Gulf of Mexico.  If you ever need to find a place to relax enjoy the sunshine while refreshing from the hot Texas sun, nothing beats a lazy day tubing down the slow winding of deep greens and blue. Some place your arm able to reach down and feel the stones polished by the millenniums. Hiding secrets of the Alamo and days gone by. A sacred place, where no worries in the world can follow, No troubles from work are allowed to enter, only you and your desire to be at peace can break the waters edge.

In my resent ventures over this past summer I had the opportunity to experience the river , its majesty and glory , Not only was I with the river I was with the finest people in the world to share the experience. By day floating lazily carefree and by night telling stories lounging about the cabin or sitting under the stars on the porch, cooking out burgers some night or fajita’s..

I often think of that trip and the fun we all had, to go back in time , even in memory can be so nice . Some days we would float solo or holding hands keeping close together. other days we banded are pack together by twine and traveled the river as one , like a Robin Hood and his merry men , or maybe Tom Sawyer and some of his boy hood chums.

One particular day we were going solo , but I lashed the tube with the cooler to my rig

6 hours or so , surly you need some sort of refreshment and maybe even pull up on to  a clear shore line for  a bite to eat.. And so we did. After lunch two of are young explores

Decided to forgo the tubes, swim a bit and comb the bottom of the river for secret hidden treasures,, Lost sunglass or the mother load a Iphone or other such valuable loot.

Now with no use for there tubes , the young explores piled them on top of the cooler . So there I was, in my tube tied to a stack of three tubes and a cooler. To which the wind had greater strength to control then the  slow easiness of the river current.

Some times I would find the wind speeding me along , while others the wind dragging me back and my group of merry band of men flowing down the river far in front of me.

While still enjoying the river the ride and the scenery I really had no control of the speed of my travel , to which side of the river I would coast. Sometimes the wind would bring me in to the tree line . Catching me on limbs and others casting me out into the deeper waters. Basicly I was at the mercy of powers much greater then myself..

As history repeats itself ,, this is where I find myself once more, only today laying in my hospital bed.

With each  day that passes more tubes are added to my burden, and now with each tube the wind carries me faster down the river then we could have ever imagined.

Just a few hundred yards back the option of chemo loomed in the air to slow the winds and the current giving me more time to enjoy the river, but now once  more due to powers beyond my control I find myself helpless. My illness grows faster then can be controlled.

I am at peace, I am comfortable. I am in my tube enjoying every last minute of my ride

Down the Guadalupe

I can not see the end to the river nor do I look forward to its end..

I have my friends , I have my family , I have you all , and I have the love of a beautiful women , my angel, my everything to comfort and care for me

I love you all

And will to my best keep you posted

In the mean time

Don’t put things in your mouth and light them on fire !!

• Hockeymom40, Rain Forest, Mountaingirl and 38 others like this
`jwg`

#2 Joyce

Joyce

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,581 posts
  • LocationMetro Dee-troit

Posted 12 December 2013 - 05:28 PM

I am at peace, I am comfortable. I am in my tube enjoying every last minute of my ride

That makes me happy, although "happy" is far, far from the right word.

• kinkash likes this
Smoke free since February 14, 2010

#3 avian3

avian3

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 16,004 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 12 December 2013 - 05:29 PM

Bless you, John.  I have been praying for peace and serenity for you.

QUIT September 14, 2010

event.png

#4 marciem

marciem

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,276 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 05:31 PM

Your words paint such a beautiful picture, John.  Even nature can't match them.

But...here's some shots so we can go rafting with you all.

Guadalupe River State Park Slide Show

• Marvitta, kinkash, anna2013 and 2 others like this

Quit Date 9/20/12
event.png
image.png?base_img=2&size=0&date_yr=2012
Honorary member of: 5a88dc8d35.png

S.moking is N.ot an O.ption T.oday
Better to be a nonsmoker with an occasional desire to smoke, than a smoker with a constant desire to quit.
Remember: everything bad about quitting is temporary, and everything good about quitting is permanent. TimidTulip
Not a day will ever go by that life is 100% perfect. But 100% of the days are better not smoking jwg
I feel no matter my outcome, quitting was still hands down the best thing I ever did....r.i.p. jwg 12/28/13
Like John, no matter my own outcome, quitting smoking is hands down the best thing I've ever done... mlm 2/16/17                                                       

#5 Nancy.

Nancy.

Keeperbie

• Moderators
  • 12,600 posts
  • quitdate:
    2013-07-07
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 12 December 2013 - 05:32 PM

John, thanks for sharing this beautiful memory....and I am grateful that it brings you comfort.  You are in our hearts.

Nancy

event.png

image.png?base_img=1&size=0&date_yr=2013

N.O.P.E. soldier_girl.gif
The only people who have craves forever are people that don't quit smoking ~ Eric
One puff is too much and 1000 cartons are not enough. ~ Hal

#6 nosmoketiffany

nosmoketiffany

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,780 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 12 December 2013 - 05:40 PM

I love you. As everyone does here. And we will all be with you to carry those tubes down this river. You are not alone in this journey John. We are holding your hand. And will forever do so. You may have been behind us or in front of us, but we never lost sight of each other. We were still together.

Try as you might, your not as invisible as you think. We can see you shining from far far away.
  • Bobbie51, jwg, avian3 and 13 others like this

event.png

“I did not quit to save my life, I quit to spend it better”-- jwg

#7 Marvitta

Marvitta

Free & Healing

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,135 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 12 December 2013 - 05:40 PM

Oh John, thank you for this post and all the others over the last few years. I been blessed to share this journey with you.

I'm so glad you were able to spend a summer on the Guadalupe River. It is a magical way to spend hot summer days....

I hope you are comfortable and able to relax and float along your journey now.....

I'm so sorry the river ends before it should sometimes. Sending to you all my thoughts, prayers, and heartfelt comforting hugs my friend.

Always,
Marvitta
  • kinkash likes this
(I started about age six and smoked over fourty years.... anyone can quit!)

Smoke & Nicotine free since 7/19/2011
~~~~The Day I Quit!~~~~

If You Are Going Though Hell, Keep Going ~ Winston S. Churchill
~~One Foot In Front Of The Other Gets You Where Your Going~~

~~~~~Life is What Happens When You Are Making Other Plans~~~~~ John Lennon

#8 Guest_Mike._*

Guest_Mike._*
  • Guests

Posted 12 December 2013 - 05:42 PM

Beautiful.

I love you, too.

God be with you.

Goodbye.

#9 kiwi

kiwi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,379 posts
  • quitdate:
    4 May 2010

Posted 12 December 2013 - 05:53 PM

He's not dead yet Mike.  Jesus. Still praying for a miracle over here in NZ

“I could see that, if not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled." P.G. Wodehouse.

#10 Guest_Mike._*

Guest_Mike._*
  • Guests

Posted 12 December 2013 - 05:58 PM

He's not dead yet Mike.  Jesus. Still praying for a miracle over here in NZ

My post wasn't to you!

#11 Agent99

Agent99

Keeperbie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,479 posts
  • quitdate:
    05/24/2012
  • LocationUnder the Sea

Posted 12 December 2013 - 05:58 PM

Love you my friend.  Stay in the tube and feel the warmth of the sun on your face. We are with you always.

• babs609 likes this

image.png?base_img=6&size=0&date_yr=2012

4f8vpao0z.png

Bi_Girl_Cheerleaders.gifGo Quitters!!!

#12 Frank

Frank

As good as it gets.!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,480 posts
  • LocationCalifornia USA

Posted 12 December 2013 - 06:19 PM

As allways, a nice story to convey a meaninful message. God bless you Jhon.

• babs609 likes this

Nov 6, 2011 I decided " I had enough with this sh*t "

I quit because I just got tired of the life under a rock, dark and with not enough air to breathe waiting for the day to get crushed!

Alcohol to a quit is like Kryptonite to Superman

Stop, Think and then React. Not React,Stop and then Think

Practice does not make it perfect, makes it permanent. Practice the right things!

Quitting is by far the best decision for the rest of your life.

If a Doctor gives you 6 months to live, would you start living after the first three? Quit now!

" I am a puff away form a pack a day"

Once you stop puffing or having Nicotine in any form, then and only then your symptoms will stop.

I quit with a frozen turkey. Once I felt comfortable with my quit,  I ate it.

Life is such a good teacher, that if you don't learn the lesson it will repeat it to you.

#13 Petra

Petra

Agent 13

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,312 posts
  • quitdate:
    07/09/2013
  • LocationColorado

Posted 12 December 2013 - 06:25 PM

You remind me of my Dad, John.  I love him so much!  

That river sounds like an awesome and peaceful place.  Keep on tubing.  Prayers to you!

• Agent99 likes this

#14 lizasaidwot

lizasaidwot

Child of God :)

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,870 posts
  • Locationearth

Posted 12 December 2013 - 06:32 PM

this is such a beautiful post it made me cry from emotion....my squirrels n I still pray for you <3

• Agent99 likes this

we are all horribly, beautifully made

#15 kinkash

kinkash

I once was blind, but now I see

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,936 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 12 December 2013 - 06:32 PM

Peace and blessings... I never met you face to face, but....I love you just the same
  • Bobbie51 likes this
When the student is ready...The teacher will appear-Soul
Fear of the quit is worse than the quit-Cookielinda
When you stop buying cig......You start paying for your addiction - jwg

Smoking is not some friend that brings you comfort. It is the Enemy that wants to kill you!
1330426800_20_1_USD_7_default.png

#16 jimmy

jimmy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,767 posts
  • quitdate:
    3/3/13
  • Locationcleburne texas

Posted 12 December 2013 - 06:56 PM

may god always be with you john  because we are john  peace to you and your family  enjoy the ride down the river god bless you    we all love you here john  :sad:   praying for you

• Agent99 likes this
  1. free-cool-smileys-268.gifc07cb18bad.pngz5vdtexo8.png 

#17 Rain Forest

Rain Forest

Ash Kicker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,426 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 12 December 2013 - 06:59 PM

I love you, my brother... I pray for comfort and love to surround you.

event.png

Freedom date: May 13, 2009

I oftentimes say I'm leaving here.  Jan says:

"She always says that. She's got her fingers crossed behind her back."

Jan is right... lol

#18 Kathleen0515

Kathleen0515

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,796 posts
  • LocationDown by the River

Posted 12 December 2013 - 07:18 PM

John, your ability to share your life's journey through your beautiful words has opened my eyes. The love and friendship that we give and that we receive are all that really matter, for when all is said and done, it's all we have left. Your stories have left an imprint on my heart. Ride that river in peace and comfort, my friend. Let the sun shine on your face and the currents gently rock you. And know that, whenever your time comes, you have left this world a a better place. That's all any of us can really hope for. 

• Rain Forest, Bobbie51, kiwi and 6 others like this

image.png?base_img=1&size=0&date_yr=2012

phpus0IwXPM1_zps54aa894a.jpg"

"Grammy, why are you putting smoke in your body?"

I stopped putting smoke in my body on June 28, 2012. 

#19 anna2013

anna2013

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,382 posts
  • quitdate:
    2013-05-05

Posted 12 December 2013 - 07:19 PM

This is such a beautiful and moving post John - thank you as always for sharing your gift and your journey. You are such a wonderful wordsmith and person and I feel privileged to have benefitted from your wisdom and your stories. You have helped so many with your writing and you will continue to do so - I thank you for that and send you hope, strength and prayers. And thanks to the wonderful pictures you paint with your words we are all with you in spirit, floating along that peaceful and beautiful river. Thank you.   

• Bobbie51 and Nancy. like this

[/url]">http://1367710200_20_1_EUR_8.75_default.png

Smokers don't 'get' to smoke, they 'have' to smoke - that's when the penny dropped for me..

#20 Bobbie51

Bobbie51

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,407 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted 12 December 2013 - 07:21 PM

John, Once again you have captured our hearts with your poignant story. Thank you for sharing your life through your stories with us.

I love you too and also pray for you to take comfort in the love we radiate towards you.

• kinkash likes this

event.png

Quit smoking on 3/18/10

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: jwg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users