Photo

What smoking feels like after a year off and relapsing.

• Please log in to reply
93 replies to this topic

#1 kevtav

kevtav

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 06:39 AM

Since I just broke my one year quit, I thought I would tell people my experience with smoking.

1) It feels gross. It smells gross.

2) Only about 6 cigarettes into a pack did I get any "light headed" effect that felt so good when you first start smoking, after that nothing same as an everyday smoker.

3) My body adjusted to it pretty much right away, even my super clean lungs took to it like I smoked yesterday, which is scary.

4) The effect is negligible, there really is NO difference between a cig now, and the last one I smoked a year ago.

5) It does absolutely nothing. There is no feeling of elation or calmness.

6) The addiction creeps in, but it feels like a voice which is telling my "screw it" like it's a vacation, which most likely is the addiction again, but it's hard to tell.

7) Knowing all this, and feeling sick smoking these things, I still want to grab one, but not like before. I'm not thinking of them as often. But that could be the lack of receptors in my brain from a year off though.

The main thing is that I totally see both sides now and realize it's actually doing NOTHING for me positive. Not even a good feeling. No relaxation or mindstate I couldn't get from a walk, or a piece of gum, or eating an apple. It's pretty stupid. I feel the difference in my body just after one day of relapsing, everything kinda feels poluted.

Let this be a lesson to those of you who think you are missing something. You aren't. Whatever you fantasize it to be it's not that.

• kinkash, Paradox, chani and 34 others like this

#2 juanrmartino

juanrmartino

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  • LocationArgentina

Posted 28 August 2013 - 06:47 AM

Be careful Kev ! Dont start playing with fire too much! i just would not know what to tell you, make a plan and quit again when you are ready, but dont fall in love again with them because you will, its and addiction and it will be harder to quit every day you smoke

I would consider you put a limit to the number you quit, take your time make a plan and set a new quit date, your not already hooked but it will get you eventually and you know it. Think about it, im just a newb but giving the best i got to you,! best wishes man

• sarry likes this

1486355400_35_1_USD_5_dark.png

There is no exception.

#3 greenlover

greenlover

"REALLY"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,458 posts
  • quitdate:
    12/04/2011
  • LocationLiving with the Amish

Posted 28 August 2013 - 07:24 AM

Whenever I relasped it felt like coming home and like I never had quit, I'm sure after almost 2 yrs free the addict in me would jump for Joy if I had one. That's why once free we never can smoke again cause it would undo all that work.
  • secondchance, EmmaBunny, Debcanbreathe and 2 others like this

#4 robgraves

robgraves

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 821 posts
  • LocationElmira, NY

Posted 28 August 2013 - 07:31 AM

Since I just broke my one year quit, I thought I would tell people my experience with smoking.

1) It feels gross. It smells gross.

2) Only about 6 cigarettes into a pack did I get any "light headed" effect that felt so good when you first start smoking, after that nothing same as an everyday smoker.

3) My body adjusted to it pretty much right away, even my super clean lungs took to it like I smoked yesterday, which is scary.

4) The effect is negligible, there really is NO difference between a cig now, and the last one I smoked a year ago.

5) It does absolutely nothing. There is no feeling of elation or calmness.

6) The addiction creeps in, but it feels like a voice which is telling my "screw it" like it's a vacation, which most likely is the addiction again, but it's hard to tell.

7) Knowing all this, and feeling sick smoking these things, I still want to grab one, but not like before. I'm not thinking of them as often. But that could be the lack of receptors in my brain from a year off though.

The main thing is that I totally see both sides now and realize it's actually doing NOTHING for me positive. Not even a good feeling. No relaxation or mindstate I couldn't get from a walk, or a piece of gum, or eating an apple. It's pretty stupid. I feel the difference in my body just after one day of relapsing, everything kinda feels poluted.

Let this be a lesson to those of you who think you are missing something. You aren't. Whatever you fantasize it to be it's not that.

this is similar to what i experienced after relapsing after 91 days quit.  Remember this post for when you quit again and get tempted, you can read your own words as to how it felt to go back to it.

I would jump back on as soon as possible, i delayed and procrastinated for a few months, and feasibly could have kept procrastinating until the day I die if I didn't commit again to just do it.

just-do-it.jpg

Good luck, bro, stay close to the boards.

• kevtav, Meg73 and zerokewl like this

image.png?base_img=5&size=0&date_yr=2013

I85d1Ko.png
nY95K6g.png

My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.c...er/TheRobGraves

My github: https://github.com/robgraves

QUIT DATE: August 8th, 2013

Quitting cold turkey. One day at a time.   S.N.O.T. Rocket    nope-animated-text-smiley-emoticon.gif   cigarette-butt.gif    

"It's never too late to be who you might have been." -George Eliot                        

#5 KMRization

KMRization

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-08-27
  • LocationBangkok

Posted 28 August 2013 - 07:57 AM

Hi Kev,

Now that you've known it does ABSOLUTELY NOTHING for you, what's the point in waiting?! :) get back on the train buddy! Don't take that next puff anymore, and you're there- a happy non-smoker again. I would say don't put too much sh**T on yourself, get rid of that "what have i done" feeling quickly, being over-stressed would only worsen the whole thing. BUT remember the lesson you had. 

Welcome Back- in advance- anticipating your quick comeback.  :smile:

• Flutterby and Hula Hooper like this
6227211c88.png

#6 Terri

Terri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 332 posts
  • quitdate:
    24/07/2013
  • LocationSydney / Australia

Posted 28 August 2013 - 12:58 PM

Hi Kev,

Now that you've known it does ABSOLUTELY NOTHING for you, what's the point in waiting?! :) get back on the train buddy! Don't take that next puff anymore, and you're there- a happy non-smoker again. I would say don't put too much sh**T on yourself, get rid of that "what have i done" feeling quickly, being over-stressed would only worsen the whole thing. BUT remember the lesson you had. 

Welcome Back- in advance- anticipating your quick comeback.  :smile:

I agree!!
:)

image.png?base_img=6&size=0&date_yr=2013

”Challenge yourself with something you thought you could never do, and what you’ll find is that you can overcome anything.”

#7 bakon

bakon

Pea Brain

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,469 posts
  • quitdate:
    9-24-12
  • LocationOwn World

Posted 28 August 2013 - 01:54 PM

One of the best post of the last 11 months I spent here. I did not read it as he was continuing to smoke, just that he tried it and it wasnt worth it.

Update- he did smoke more than one but reposted on how bad the entire pack made him feel. This post needs the warning "Dont try this at home."

• AmandaG and Brenndy like this

Starting Now
Keep Marching.

#8 Cristobal

Cristobal

A Very Happy & Free Non-Smoker ... ¡ N.O.P.E. !

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
  • quitdate:
    2012-10-14
  • LocationBaja California Peninsula, México.

Posted 28 August 2013 - 02:16 PM

Excellent post !!!

I will put this on my list of great posts to bump once or twice a month.

A strong reminder for our addict brains that the illusion of smoking is not ever the same as the gross reality.

Cristóbal

Day 318

• Meg73 and AmandaG like this
► I am a ** OLDE PHARTE ** (1 year + :grin: ) !!!
► I smoked 30 years, 2 packs a day ... Bleah ..... :shock: :shock: :shock:
► 14 October 2012 - ¡ This day I took control .... and took back my freedom ! :grin: :grin: :grin:

► ¡ Cold Turkey On A Whim ! :lol: :lol: :lol:
¿¿ How to quit and *STAY* quit ??
¡¡¡ Rocket Science !!! (N.O.P.E. - Not.One.Puff.Ever .... Just For Today)

My Quit & First Post: http://www.quitsmoki...php?f=2&t=46786

Posted Image

#9 avian3

avian3

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 16,004 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 28 August 2013 - 02:21 PM

There are already at least hundreds of lessons on this message board.  The problem is everyone thinks they are special and that they can just have one cigarette and be done.   I choose to take their word for it and not go through that quitting hell again.

QUIT September 14, 2010

event.png

#10 Frank

Frank

As good as it gets.!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,480 posts
  • LocationCalifornia USA

Posted 28 August 2013 - 03:03 PM

Some of us learn by experience and few ( the wise) will learn from others avoiding the pain of the failure.

Thank you for sharing.

• Flutterby, Hula Hooper and Oustoson like this

Nov 6, 2011 I decided " I had enough with this sh*t "

I quit because I just got tired of the life under a rock, dark and with not enough air to breathe waiting for the day to get crushed!

Alcohol to a quit is like Kryptonite to Superman

Stop, Think and then React. Not React,Stop and then Think

Practice does not make it perfect, makes it permanent. Practice the right things!

Quitting is by far the best decision for the rest of your life.

If a Doctor gives you 6 months to live, would you start living after the first three? Quit now!

" I am a puff away form a pack a day"

Once you stop puffing or having Nicotine in any form, then and only then your symptoms will stop.

I quit with a frozen turkey. Once I felt comfortable with my quit,  I ate it.

Life is such a good teacher, that if you don't learn the lesson it will repeat it to you.

#11 Rebecca12

Rebecca12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 12:47 AM

Thank you. :)

#12 kinkash

kinkash

I once was blind, but now I see

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,936 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 29 August 2013 - 01:28 AM

Awesome...post! thank you posting and for keeping it real!
When the student is ready...The teacher will appear-Soul
Fear of the quit is worse than the quit-Cookielinda
When you stop buying cig......You start paying for your addiction - jwg

Smoking is not some friend that brings you comfort. It is the Enemy that wants to kill you!
1330426800_20_1_USD_7_default.png

#13 Cristobal

Cristobal

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
  • quitdate:
    2012-10-14

Posted 27 September 2013 - 07:14 AM

Bumping this as a reminder.

*SMOKING SUCKS* !!!

Cristóbal

Day 348

► 14 October 2012 - ¡ This day I took control .... and took back my freedom ! :grin: :grin: :grin:

Posted Image

#14 ollie

ollie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,573 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 01:18 PM

Thanks a great reminder,it has to be n.o.p.e always.

event.png
image.png?base_img=1&size=0&date_yr=2013

#15 Meg73

Meg73

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
  • LocationEastern USA (coastal)

Posted 27 September 2013 - 01:51 PM

A great reminder of just how much is at stake every single day, and why we must protect our quits as is our lives depend on it. They *do* depend on it!
  • CathyBrunt and Hula Hooper like this
Cigarettes were never the anchors in our lives to hold us steady. They were the rope that kept us tied to the dock as life sailed by. JWG

I'm a YP now, as of 4/27.

event.png

#16 Cristobal

Cristobal

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
  • quitdate:
    2012-10-14

Posted 27 October 2013 - 04:12 PM

Bumping a great post !!!

Cristóbal

• aka_logikal likes this

Posted Image

#17 8Ball14

8Ball14

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
  • quitdate:
    1/1/2013
  • LocationPennsylvania, USA

Posted 27 October 2013 - 07:02 PM

Good points in the post. I'm kind of confused though, are you still smoking?

The only reason that a smoker lights that next cigarette is to try to get back to the state of relaxation that non-smokers enjoy all their lives. - A.C.

#18 jengelsnew

jengelsnew

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • quitdate:
    9/1/2013
  • LocationUSA

Posted 27 October 2013 - 07:20 PM

Excellent post...
1378015200_2_20_USD_5_default.png

#19 Nancy.

Nancy.

Keeperbie

• Moderators
  • 12,600 posts
  • quitdate:
    2013-07-07
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 27 October 2013 - 07:27 PM

Good points in the post. I'm kind of confused though, are you still smoking?

8ball, kevtav originally posted this on August 28....the last time he was on the board was August 29...so unfortunately, I would guess that he is still smoking....it makes me sick at my stomach to think of losing a quit of a year....N.O.P.E. for me!

Nancy

event.png

image.png?base_img=1&size=0&date_yr=2013

N.O.P.E. soldier_girl.gif
The only people who have craves forever are people that don't quit smoking ~ Eric
One puff is too much and 1000 cartons are not enough. ~ Hal

#20 Markus

Markus

Time Is Running Out

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,575 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 28 October 2013 - 12:28 AM

It wasn't a "lost" quit,

It was a perfectly good quit but it was flawed wasn't it, there was something wrong

with it, something wrong-headed in this 1 year old quit. It wasn't a real quit was it?

You don't throw a real quit out like it's a piece of trash, you don't put yourself back in chains

like the slave you used to be, unless there is really something wrong in your thought processes

that you would actually smoke after a year off. No excuse as far as I am concerned.

Might be the greatest post in the world but this doesn't mean it's a real quit.

Not if it was that easy to give it up.

Whatever, it doesn't mean shite to me if you threw away your quit.

• james11 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users