4thTimeLucky

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • quitdate:
    09/07/2013
  • LocationCardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

Posted 09 July 2013 - 06:18 PM

HI, I'm a forum Newbie but as the name suggests, I'm no quit virgin.

I'm using the NHS quit smoking help and have been prescribed Champix. On day 12 of the tablets and today is my planned quit day, I would love to say it is going really well but that would be a flat out lie. This morning was good, I got up had a massive craving and thought "no, not anymore, I'm going to beat it this time". I went downstairs and there it was.... my tobacco pouch with tobacco still in it, filters, papers and lighter all sat there waiting for me. I did what any self respecting quitter would do, I picked the whole lot up and chucked it in the bin. Proud of myself, I went for a walk to give me something to do.

This afternoon however; I suspect there are some reading this that know what I'm about to write... All day it was in my head that I has that tobbacco in the bin... ALL DAY, not a single friggin second went passed that I did not think to that 'wasted' tobacco, so yes....

...MY name is 4thTimeLucky and I smoked bin tobacco, all of it. :oops:

My last puff was 4 hours ago and by everything I hold sacred I am going to make sure that was the last puff EVER. So not the best introduction of myself but open and honest. Wish me luck!

4TL

I am not an ex smoker. I am a NON smoker

1373378400_20_1_GBP_3_default.png

#2 dbw

dbw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada

Posted 09 July 2013 - 06:30 PM

Congratulations on your Quit.

Now take your head out of that bin and stop thinking about the poison you've thrown out.  I suggest for you to do some readings, educate yourself about the nicotine addiction and the quitting process will help your quit tremendously.  Start with the Newbie Package.

You can absolutely do this, welcome to QSMB

Don

Quit cold turkey since the last Puff at 5pm on 29 December 2012
Posted Image

#3 ChristaC

ChristaC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,713 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 09 July 2013 - 06:31 PM

Hi, Lucky! Welcome....and congratulations on your decision to quit this time for good! Just by posting here you've taken a critical step in the right direction....now go to the "Newbie Package" and read until your eyes burn....it'll be worth it!

You can do this! If I can, ANYONE can..... :-P

Posted Image
IF YOU HAVE JUST ONE CIGARETTE, YOU'LL BE BACK WHERE YOU STARTED. WHERE YOU STARTED WAS DESPERATELY WISHING YOU WERE WHERE YOU ARE TODAY.

#4 Craig

Craig

Quitter!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,174 posts
  • quitdate:
    16APR2013
  • LocationMobile, Alabama USA

Posted 09 July 2013 - 06:36 PM

Welcome 4TL and congratulations on your decision to quit. As those above me have said, go read that newbie package.

Read everything you can on whyquit.com. Get rid of ANY tobacco in your house. 

Champix will help a bit with the cravings (I used the American equivalent Chantix) but it is NOT going to quit for you. My first week was very tough and yours may be too. Accept that you are going to be miserable for a while and get on with your quit. You WILL come out the other side a stronger, healthier person. Focus on one day at a time...or one hour, or one minute...whatever it takes. Just do NOT smoke. Do ANYTHING else but DON'T smoke!

image.png?base_img=5&size=0&date_yr=2013   

That which does not kill us makes us stronger.
-Friedrich Nietzsche

#5 EmmaBunny

EmmaBunny

Where are my coupons?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,908 posts
  • LocationMemphis, TN USA

Posted 09 July 2013 - 06:36 PM

Hi, and welcome to the group, 4thTimeLucky.  Most of us have been through this several times before, like you.  The difference for me this time is this group.  The support, encouragement, and information has made a huge difference.  Read the info in the newbie package.  Go to whyquit.com for additional educational material.  Post and read and generally participate here as much as possible, especially in the early days.  It helps a great deal to participate.  Each time you help someone else, you're strengthening your own commitment to staying smoke-free.  Take it one day at a time.  Be strong!

Posted Image
IF I HAVE JUST ONE CIGARETTE, I'LL BE BACK WHERE I STARTED.
WHERE I STARTED WAS DESPERATELY WISHING I WAS WHERE I AM TODAY.

Posted ImageEmmaBunny Posted Image

#6 love-the-smell

love-the-smell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts
  • quitdate:
    7/7/13
  • LocationLonesome Crowded Prairie, USA

Posted 09 July 2013 - 07:21 PM

Yeah, you gotta get rid of any tobacco stashed anywhere or else it will just haunt you.  I hate to admit that I've searched the yard for half a cig I threw down the previous evening or found a lone cig in the ashes of a bonfire where I burned my 'last' pack.  I too used to roll tobacco and pride myself on being able to roll a great cigarette with or without a filter.  One of the first lies I started perpetuating was saying that I'm just going to buy a pack of cigs this time (instead of a pouch of tobacco that will last me a week) because after 20 smokes they'll all be gone and I can quit.  Well, I think we all know how that probably worked out...  I ended up spending way too much money for packs of cigarettes instead of RYO and never quit until now which is at least three years since I first started buying pre-rolled instead of RYO.

All that being said, read all the info about how the addiction works and managing cravings - it really helps you prepare for the worst.

• Walt likes this

image.png?base_img=4&size=0&date_yr=2013

#7 scottinpa

scottinpa

completed

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,775 posts
  • LocationBucks County, Pennsylvania, USA

Posted 09 July 2013 - 07:32 PM

Welcome to the board..

Congratulations on your quit!!

scottinpa
Please ignore my spelling... I can't type

"I have quit smoking,.. I am never going to smoke again, I am not sure how I know this... I just do.

QUOTING JWG.... " The hardest step to quitting is the first one, the second most difficult is the second. from there each step , each day , gets you further down the path .. mind you , each day dose not get easier untill you allow it to be so" .. and I add... " It is entirely up to you!! "

#8 markstopsmoking

markstopsmoking

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 09 July 2013 - 07:44 PM

Congratulations on your decision to quit being a Nicotine addict.

You should have flushed it down the toilet or gave it away to a smoking friend.

Onwards from here, do not smoke, there is only one way to quit being a Nicotine addict and that is to stop administering Nicotine.

Posted Image + Posted Image
Cold turkey; quit nicotine and alcohol - 15th Feb 2013

"It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare; it is because we do not dare that they are difficult." Lucius Seneca

#9 Walt

Walt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 382 posts
  • quitdate:
    6-12-2013
  • LocationBurnsville, MN

Posted 09 July 2013 - 09:23 PM

You CAN do this...one day at a time, or one hour at a time. A week from now you will feel better. 2 weeks from now you will feel even better and 3 weeks from now you will feel great!

I will not smoke today. N.O.P.E. I have not smoked since June 12, 2013.

I smoked for 50 years and I quit cold-turkey with the help of the wonderful people on this board. If I can do it, YOU can do it!

#10 Frank

Frank

As good as it gets.!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,652 posts
  • LocationCalifornia USA

Posted 09 July 2013 - 09:50 PM

Hi 4TL  , I would wish you luck but you ain't going to las vegas or nothing like that. So I am going to wish you find wisdom in the education you will find all over this place and claim your freedom. You can do it, all you have to do is commit to NOPE (Not Other Puff Ever) and you like all of us can start enjoying life as it was meant to be.. Not smoking.

All the best to you and loook forward to seeing you around here.

Nov 6, 2011 I decided " I had enough with this sh*t "

I quit because I just got tired of the life under a rock, dark and with not enough air to breathe waiting for the day to get crushed!

Alcohol to a quit is like Kryptonite to Superman

Stop, Think and then React. Not React,Stop and then Think

Practice does not make it perfect, makes it permanent. Practice the right things!

Quitting is by far the best decision for the rest of your life.

If a Doctor gives you 6 months to live, would you start living after the first three? Quit now!

" I am a puff away form a pack a day"

Once you stop puffing or having Nicotine in any form, then and only then your symptoms will stop.

I quit with a frozen turkey. Once I felt comfortable with my quit,  I ate it.

Life is such a good teacher, that if you don't learn the lesson it will repeat it to you.

#11 Frank

Frank

As good as it gets.!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,652 posts
  • LocationCalifornia USA

Posted 09 July 2013 - 09:52 PM

Welcome 4TL and congratulations on your decision to quit. As those above me have said, go read that newbie package.

Read everything you can on whyquit.com. Get rid of ANY tobacco in your house. 

Champix will help a bit with the cravings (I used the American equivalent Chantix) but it is NOT going to quit for you. My first week was very tough and yours may be too. Accept that you are going to be miserable for a while and get on with your quit. You WILL come out the other side a stronger, healthier person. Focus on one day at a time...or one hour, or one minute...whatever it takes. Just do NOT smoke. Do ANYTHING else but DON'T smoke!

I like this advice, and all of them here.

Craig, did you know  Forest Gump lives in your city?

Nov 6, 2011 I decided " I had enough with this sh*t "

I quit because I just got tired of the life under a rock, dark and with not enough air to breathe waiting for the day to get crushed!

Alcohol to a quit is like Kryptonite to Superman

Stop, Think and then React. Not React,Stop and then Think

Practice does not make it perfect, makes it permanent. Practice the right things!

Quitting is by far the best decision for the rest of your life.

If a Doctor gives you 6 months to live, would you start living after the first three? Quit now!

" I am a puff away form a pack a day"

Once you stop puffing or having Nicotine in any form, then and only then your symptoms will stop.

I quit with a frozen turkey. Once I felt comfortable with my quit,  I ate it.

Life is such a good teacher, that if you don't learn the lesson it will repeat it to you.

#12 Diddamalooz

Diddamalooz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  • quitdate:
    24-06-2013
  • LocationNew South Wales, Australia

Posted 09 July 2013 - 11:56 PM

Hey 4TL and welcome to the board :D

I'm so glad u decided to post, and to be honest about it at that. A week before my current quit I had a couple of attempts at cold turkey..... first one I couldn't bare the 'waste' my cigarettes by throwing them out, and second one I was just like you, and ended up smoking bin smokes. Now I look back at that and am even more disgusted than I was at the time.

I also tried Champix - around 18 months ago. It didn't seem to do anything to help me, but a LOT of ppl on this board have successfully quit with it's aid. Just remember that is what it is, an AID not a miracle cure.

During your first few days stick to this board like glue, I did. Ask as many questions as you need to, yell, scream, type in CAPS for all we care. The first few days are tough, yes, but it's only a few days, and it really does get easier as the days pass by.

*edit for typo*

• buMbLeB likes this

1372251600_18_1_USD_13_dark.png

Quit 24-06-2013 10:00pm

#13 EmilyT406

EmilyT406

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • LocationWashington DC

Posted 10 July 2013 - 01:34 AM

Hi 4TL - just some advice - read the newbie package. Spend some time each day with the posts. Bookmark the posts and articles you find helpful. Read them every day. Create a quit plan and come up with specific actions to take when you want to smoke.

ANYONE can do this. Its not about luck - its a choice. Make the choice and see it through!

Emily

Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: champix

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users