#1 SuperQuitter

SuperQuitter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 05 December 2012 - 06:15 PM

Hi All,

I'm planning to quit soon, before the end of the year and have a question regarding Chantix. I have quit maybe 2 or 3 times using Zyban. I've found it quite easy to quit using them. The issue is usually a year later, I just start smoking for some random reason. But it got the job done. However, I didn't like the side effects, you just don't feel like yourself. I'm a guy, I keep my feelings in, but there were times I just wanted to cry, for no reason which had anything to do with smoking, just felt emotional. I'm hearing Chantix has the same issues and almost seems to be the same thing, you set a quit date, take it for a week, then quit, etc. etc. My question is, has anyone used both and does one have less side effects than the other?

#2 QuitIsEasyDoneIt100x

QuitIsEasyDoneIt100x

Sink rate. Don't sink. Pull up! Pull up!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,138 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 03:00 AM

Not sure about those meds, never took them.
But I know that quitting smoking also has its side effects. I mean, you are discontinuing a major addiction which is rooted in the emotional center of your brain, among other places.
Not like popping an advil for a headache.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful. Quitting is the easy part. Then comes life. Dealing with with life without smoking can be the real battle, and extends far beyond any physical withdrawal.

But it is very doable. And it is very simple. You smoke b/c you decided to smoke. You can also stay quit because you decide not to smoke. Everything else is noise.
Get a new job? Smoke to celebrate! Get fired? Smoke to lament! We use any and every excuse to smoke. The reasons won't go away. You just have to not make them reasons anymore.

EDIT: Sorry man, I hate telling people what to do. Just a suggestion that seems to reflect the experience of more experienced and successful quitters. I am still a n00b myself, but I wouldn't redirect these ideas I didn't believe in them myself.

11/05/12
Keep on rocking that quit. headbanger.gif

Congratulations!  You have just discovered the secret text!  Have some cake. the_cake_is_a_lie_portal.jpg

Cigarettes are like squirrels - harmless until you put one in your mouth and set it on fire.

#3 Bradley Parker

Bradley Parker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,910 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 02:33 PM

It is useful to research into all methods of quitting smoking and visit WhyQuit.com and poke around over there. The Newbie Package here on QuitSmokingMessageBoard.com on the QUIT SMOKING MAIN BOARD is a good place also to click around.

ntp.gifQINFS
Chantix Low-Dosage Quit Method
Quit since August 18th 2012 - QSMB's youngest Olde Pharte at 22

#4 SuperQuitter

SuperQuitter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:26 PM

Thanks, I plan on going cold turkey as everytime I've used Zyban, I just didn't feel right.

I think I'll just go Cold Turkey as from what I've read around on this site and others is that Chantix is pretty much the same thing as Zyban.

#5 Bradley Parker

Bradley Parker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,910 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 03:25 AM

Thanks, I plan on going cold turkey as everytime I've used Zyban, I just didn't feel right.

I think I'll just go Cold Turkey as from what I've read around on this site and others is that Chantix is pretty much the same thing as Zyban.

False.
Though I know very little about Zyban/Wellbutrin, I have done a little bit of research about Chantix.
The biggest difference here is that Chantix goes straight to the nicotine receptor, Zyban does not contain any nicotine imitation.
This is all just rumors right here... I only read three pages from the googler about how Zyban works to help quit smoking.

Zyban works by first reducing symptoms of withdrawal; second, reducing cravings of nicotine addicted souls.
It also seems that for a small minority it makes you feel quite strange.
The price can be quite reasonable for Zyban/Wellbutrin with insurance, comparable to [and quite possibly cheaper than] the patch.

Chantix works by latching onto nicotine receptors in your brain. This has a primary effect of blocking [most] nicotine receptors from accepting nicotine,
a secondary effect of a slight satiation of nicotine cravings,
and a tertiary [false] effect of preventing you from becoming re-addicted to nicotine during what Chanix colloquializes as a "slip," but in reality is a "relapse" and going back to square one of nicotine addiction. Use of the NOPE method instead of the Chantix "smoke whenever you want" quit method is highly recommended. This third effect is not real, just a commercial "selling" tactic.
Chantix makes a really good portion of users feel quite strange.
Unless you have really good insurance or a friend with some leftover Chantix, this is just about the most expensive "quit smoking aid" available today.

Here is a Zyban vs. Chantix very short article that I came across after writing out all this above stuff.
http://www.leavethep...r_way_pills.php

Congratulations on your decision to quit cold turkey! Keep us updated on how you are doing and post an SOS if you run into problems. Above all, quit when you are ready and then NOPE it all the way home!

ntp.gifQINFS
Chantix Low-Dosage Quit Method
Quit since August 18th 2012 - QSMB's youngest Olde Pharte at 22

#6 SuperQuitter

SuperQuitter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:36 PM

Just judging by people's reactions to Chantix, i figured they were the same. Thanks for the info though, makes sense.

As for my quit, it'll be 3 weeks on Friday. Quit Cold Turkey, but i'd rather say it was the "EASYWAY' from Allen Carr. Amazing book, never thought a book would help me quit smoking.

#7 EmmaBunny

EmmaBunny

Where are my coupons?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,908 posts
  • LocationMemphis, TN USA

Posted 22 February 2013 - 04:34 PM

In the US, the affordable care act means insurance companies must now pay for medication that helps you stop smoking, including Chantix. I got some year before last and paid something like $130 for it (and didn't stop smoking). I got some about six weeks ago and paid 0 for it.

But you've gotta have insurance. That's the trick.
Posted Image
IF I HAVE JUST ONE CIGARETTE, I'LL BE BACK WHERE I STARTED.
WHERE I STARTED WAS DESPERATELY WISHING I WAS WHERE I AM TODAY.

Posted ImageEmmaBunny Posted Image

#8 jacksmith

jacksmith

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 07:37 AM

Varenicline (trade name Chantix is marketed in the U.S. and Champix in Canada, Europe and other countries, Pfizer, usually in the form of varenicline tartrate) is a prescription medication for the treatment of tobacco addiction. Varenicline is a partial agonist of the nicotinic receptors - is lower than nicotine itself stimulates nicotine receptors.
Bupropion is a drug that is used primarily as an aid for smoking atypical antidepressant and smoking. Marketed as Wellbutrin, Budeprion, Prexaton, Elontril, Aplenzin or other brands, it is the most widely prescribed antidepressant in the United States, fourth with more than 20 million prescriptions in 2007 retail.

#9 Hahn

Hahn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 November 2017 - 10:37 AM

Smoked for 22 years I was one of thise smokers who tried to quit lots but then resigned to the excuse that I loved to smoke. Just over a week ago I mentally decided that I was not a smoker. I started zyban on the second day I quit and smoked 2 that day, one the next, and half the next. That last half, I knew it was the last. As with these other stories I was addicted. Tried everything. Champix, patches, quit help lines and support etc so I was sceptical but determined. I really can not believe how well it has worked. I'm not grumpy, no cravings and no side effects as yet.

zybach.jpg

#10 KarenCT

KarenCT

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-11-04
  • LocationLitchfield County, CT

Posted 16 November 2017 - 02:42 PM

I am actually taking both Chantix and Zyban, and I am probably within the minority of people who have zero side effects from either one.  I do have rather vivid dreams since starting the Chantix, but I've always had vivid dreams, so this is nothing new. 

I've been taking Chantix & Zyban for 3 weeks.

My husband smokes, so quitting has been a challenge.  I did quit once before for 6 months - but then my chain-smoking mother-in-law moved in with us and I was her primary caregiver. Between the two of them smoking me out of the house, I decided it was too hard not to smoke - flawed thinking, I know.  I ended up smoking for another year.  As of today, I have been smoke-free for 12 days.  

• Nancy. likes this

image.png?base_img=4&size=0&date_yr=2017

#11 Lin-quitting

Lin-quitting

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,397 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-03-06
  • Locationsmall-town Kansas USA

Posted 19 November 2017 - 03:34 PM

Congratulations on your 12 days Karen! That's fantastic work.

image.png?base_img=6&size=0&date_yr=2017

"I didn't come this far to only come this far."

30ksjlf.jpg

I want my life back. I WANT MY LIFE BACK!

There is no try, there is only do. Failure is not an option.

Another proud member of the 2017 Smokebusters team.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users