#1 Mountain

Mountain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts
  • LocationCentral Connecticut

Posted 07 July 2011 - 04:35 AM

There isn't a whole lot written about Zyban (wellbutrin) these days. Chantix has had a tremendous success rate and today appears to dominate the pharmaceutical literature re: quitting smoking. But when I first seriously and methodically tried to quit smoking (back in 1997), Zyban stood alone as the miracle drug of choice that could actually help a smoker to quit the habit.

Back then, I had wandered aimlessly through quits with no direction, no guidance, not knowing what to do or what to expect. I tried patches and gum and cold turkey. I figured I just needed some will power to get this quitting thing done. Well, no surprise, will power simply didn't cut it...... and NRT was not for me!

My doctor prescribed Zyban (at my request) but had no advice on how to quit or what to expect. After several start and stop attempts to quit smoking by using Zyban, I stumbled upon a quit smoking bulletin board (not this one) that was a beacon in the darkness of my addiction. I was able to quit successfully (using Zyban) and remained smober for nearly two years. Then one day, at a relative's wedding, I decided that it would be OK to smoke "JUST ONE". Of course, I was back to a pack a day within a week. By then, I had lost the will to try to quit again. By the time I got up the gumption to try a new quit, the quit smoking bulletin board that I had used during my previous quit was GONE. So I smoked for another ten years.

During that time, my wife (who smoked during my entire two year quit) went to a quit smoking clinic at work, took Zyban for a week and quit smoking --- completely --- totally --- without any symptoms, no craves, no angst. She just quit. I have NEVER seen another case like this one, but the fact is that just one week on Zyban changed something inside her and she never smoked again. She hadn't even WANTED to quit smoking. She only went to the clinic because her friend wanted to go. She tried the Zyban without really expecting any results, but she quit anyway. Go figure. (FYI, my wife does not take any drugs ... even aspirin because she is very suseptible to the effects of ANY drug. The Zyban had a profound effect upon her during the time she took it. She was spaced out most of the time and kind of in lala land, according to her coworkers. Maybe that's why the benefit were so pronounced.)

I quit with the help of Zyban (actually wellbutrin at 300mg, not the 150 dose of brandname Zyban).
I remain quit because of the knowledge and help that I have received here on this board AND because of my daily determination to not smoke ever again.

Zyban, for me, has been a miracle drug. I found that, after a few days, I started forgetting to smoke sometimes. In stead of going out of work ten or fifteen times a day to grab a smoke, I may have smoked only four or five times. I simply forgot to smoke. After a few weeks, my smoking routine was quite thoroughly disrupted and I had a significant headstart on stopping cigarettes altogether.

Of course, the actual quit was traumatic. Not smoking entirely proved to be very different from smoking only a few. It was work. It was emotional. It was frustrating. But it was doable.... and I truly believe that I could not have quit without my Zyban.

Zyban people sometimes talk (mostly complain) about "VIVID" dreams. I had lots of those "vivid" dreams. Frankly, I don't know why people get so upset about them. Some of them were really pleasant. Some of them were disturbing. But SO WHAT!! They're only dreams. I was on the road to smobriety, and that trumped any nightime visions.

I was a bit more mellow during the weeks that I took wellbutrin. Most of the folks who know me thought that was a good thing.

The fact is that I didn't experience anything while taking wellbutrin that I would consider in any way negative. In additon to feeling pretty good and looking forward to nighttime adventures in dreamland, I actually quit smoking. All of this was very, very good.

Many people have had great success with Chantix. If it works for you, then go for it!! Unfortunately, it made me very seriously sick to my stomach.
NRT's don't work for me and actually make me crave cigarettes even more.
But for ME, wellbutrin was effective, relatively inexpensive (in generic form) and an overall pleasant experience. Put it on your list of things to try along your road to smobriety.

Good luck ... and KTQ.

• Rozuki likes this
........................Mountain

...... Smoked for over 45 years - not any more

"IF I HAVE JUST ONE, I'LL BE BACK WHERE I STARTED.
WHERE I STARTED WAS DESPERATELY WISHING I WAS WHERE I AM TODAY"
Author Unknown

#2 greenlover

greenlover

"REALLY"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,458 posts
  • quitdate:
    12/04/2011
  • LocationLiving with the Amish

Posted 07 July 2011 - 04:53 AM

Thats what I miss about Wellburtrin I was taking 75 mg twice a day-not the normal quit smoking amount & besides quitting I loved the way it left me more mellow-that was the first thing everyone noticed when I quit it but didn't want people to think I couldn't stay quit w/o it which I have just not as cheery as I was. :lol:

#3 dls46711

dls46711

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,699 posts
  • LocationSouth Texas

Posted 07 July 2011 - 02:16 PM

Maybe i'll talk to my husband about Zyban, Wellbutrin whichever. (are they the same thing?) although he seems to be doing okay, on the patch.

Mountain, so glad you found something to work for you!
Diane

April 15th, 2009 is the day i became free!

If i agree with you, than we'll both be wrong...Steven Tyler

Copy That?

#4 Stephanie

Stephanie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,116 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 07 July 2011 - 02:21 PM

Thank you so much for sharing that, I took Wellbutrin to get off of another addictive drug and it worked! (with a 12 step support program)

Glad you are smober! I love the part where you remind us all how we are one puff away from a pack a day no matter how long we are free, determination and this board saved me from the slavery of smoking too. I am forever greatful and great post!

Steph
:D
We are all Brothers
None goes his way alone
What we bring into the lives of others
Comes back into our own

my first free moment was 10/18/05 at 11:58 pm.
a very fine moment, and I did not even know it then.

#5 Mountain

Mountain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts
  • LocationCentral Connecticut

Posted 07 July 2011 - 04:59 PM

Maybe i'll talk to my husband about Zyban, Wellbutrin whichever. (are they the same thing?) although he seems to be doing okay, on the patch.

Mountain, so glad you found something to work for you!

Yes, they are chemically the same exact drug.. Zyban is produced specifically as a stop-smoking drug and, as such, is not covered by many health insurance policies (Seems like a dumb rule to me!!)

Wellbutrin is another brand of the same exact drug, but I think that the dosages (mg per pill) are different.

There are generic formulations of the same exact drug, (BUPROPION HYDROCHLORIDE). My doctor prescribed 300mg. extended release tablets (bupropion HCl XL). This is, I believe, a larger dose than normally prescribed for Zyban, but it worked just fine for me. It also seemed to mellow out the nagging depression that was troubling me at the time. Also, the generic was a lot cheaper than the Zyban and was partially covered by insurance.

Glad to hear your husband is doing well on the patch. Whatever works is aces in my book.

........................Mountain

...... Smoked for over 45 years - not any more

"IF I HAVE JUST ONE, I'LL BE BACK WHERE I STARTED.
WHERE I STARTED WAS DESPERATELY WISHING I WAS WHERE I AM TODAY"
Author Unknown

#6 Guest_cigarbabe_*

Guest_cigarbabe_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 July 2011 - 04:37 PM

I'm glad that Wellbutrin worked so well for you.
I agree they are simply dreams which fade away as you wake up.
Congrats on being free from smoking! Posted Image
C.B.Posted Image

#7 cassieoc

cassieoc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 10:23 AM

Hello Mountain , not sure if you will get this , but I hope you will . It was great to read about your success with Zyban . I am into my 4th week on zyban and I have'nt smoked in almost 3 weeks . The thing is that I am only taking 1 zyban daily and my form/ mood is not great - I feel down and that something is missing .I am having difficulty sleeping and that is why I am only taking 1 zyban , and was even contemplating giving up zyban but having read your post I think this would be a mistake , do you think if I could take 2 zyban that I would feel better - more positive as at the moment I am struggling !!

Hope to hear from you
many thanks
cassieoc

#8 greenlover

greenlover

"REALLY"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,458 posts
  • quitdate:
    12/04/2011
  • LocationLiving with the Amish

Posted 22 September 2012 - 01:12 AM

Why are you taking just 1 a day & what strength?? Please stick with it-I loved being on it especially during the winter months & it got this my final quit rolling. Ask your Dr. if nothing else. Stay smoke free :D

#9 casey20

casey20

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • Locationohio

Posted 23 September 2012 - 12:39 AM

I also took only one a day and then I actually stopped after only about 3 weeks because it made me feel so weird---I can't really explain the feeling but it just didn't feel right--but I have to say--like greenlover it did kickstart my quit. Both my mother and father also quit with zyban and they have done great and felt great. I don't know if taking 2 a day would have solved the problem, but I felt so weird that I was afraid to try. I also had trouble sleeping--but I have always had that problem and if you read about quitting, you will see that is a common side effect anyways.

For me the hardest part was just starting and following through----so zyban did its job.

I would never recommend quitting the way I did, I used what my mother had left over from her quit because my insurance would not cover the cost
I guess I am trying to say--you might want to talk to your dr.---but remember you have gotten this far in your quit---so don't ever give that up---and remember the most important thing---there really is not "Magic Pill" to make you quit--you just have to want to not smoke more than you want to smoke---things like zyban, or chantix are just aids --you have to do the hard work

#10 cassieoc

cassieoc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 10:25 AM

Thanks casey20 , Yes I think I will stop taking zyban today as I have the same weird feeling as you , and I agree that zyban gets you off the cigs but it is up to oneself to stay off , I hope I am strong enough to continue as a non-smoker .
I will keep intouch

#11 precious007

precious007

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 07:38 AM

Zyban does work, it actually stops the cravings completely, I've been testing it for a while now.

But then without actually WANTING to remain quit, one will never succeed.

#12 slocum

slocum

Crave free!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,962 posts
  • quitdate:
    11-02-2007

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:40 PM

Hello Mountain , not sure if you will get this , but I hope you will . It was great to read about your success with Zyban . I am into my 4th week on zyban and I have'nt smoked in almost 3 weeks . The thing is that I am only taking 1 zyban daily and my form/ mood is not great - I feel down and that something is missing .I am having difficulty sleeping and that is why I am only taking 1 zyban , and was even contemplating giving up zyban but having read your post I think this would be a mistake , do you think if I could take 2 zyban that I would feel better - more positive as at the moment I am struggling !!

Hope to hear from you
many thanks
cassieoc

I realize this is an old post, but it struck me as something that might need to be clarified. All of these feelings are part of the healing process of quitting smoking, so I would not be so quick to agree that it is the zyban causing these problems.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Quit date: November 2, 2007
Facing the truth about addiction one day at a time.

#13 lisarose001

lisarose001

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 05:13 AM

Hi,

Generic Zyban is a one of the most famous ,effective and result oriented  medication that helps to quit the addiction of smoking. Bupropion is an active element that helps to  deals with adverse signs of smoking and make the person able to with draw the habit of smoking . It is observed that if you follow the proper dosing of this medication you will get the result in very short period of time. Normally  Generic Zyban gives successful result within 3-5 months. 

#14 Danny74

Danny74

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 10:50 AM

Zyban gave me the energy I needed to exercise, stay alert, keep my mind off the cravings and eat a healthy diet. I lost weight on Zyban. After 2 weeks smoking with the medication I had my last smoke. The cravings were incredibly minimal. Yes I still thought about smoking and I still do. But the cravings were bearable. I could manage. They were easy! Zyban made me realise quitting smoking is easy and can be done.

zyba.jpg

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users