Photo

Champix this time. I'm doing it 4/4/10 11:59pm I quit.

• Please log in to reply
107 replies to this topic

#1 neptune

neptune

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 07:03 AM

I am 36 and have smoked for 21yrs. I smoke 20-30 a day.

I have tried to quit cold turkey in the past, that lasted less than 2 weeks, some months later I tried the patches combined with gum, went for nearly 3 months. That was a year ago and I'm back onto my usual 20-30 a day.

To give a little back-ground I have two friends who were smoking a similar amount to me that recommended I try champix, they both have been off cigs for 5-6 months thus far. I consider myself to be mentally and emotionally stable and have read up extensively on champix. The horror stories are sure out there. I sincerely hope I don't become one of them. I personally consider that educating myself of the pros/con or risks of this drug will significantly help me to determine if or not I am developing the common side effects. I have never experienced depression in my life, sadness, bereavement and disappointment yes, but consider it to be normal response due to the circumstances that created those feelings and a fact of life
I am a lucky soul, I have a beautiful loving wife and 3 fantastic children. I intend to stop smoking for them and myself. I have mentally prepared for this for several months and consider two days ago was the time to see the doctor and give Champix a shot. Today my local time its April 1st what better day to start my forum account and keep record here.
So here goes my Champix log.

30th March 2010
Went to the doctor and spoke to the reception, sorry to busy you'll have to make an appointment, I did so for 11am the following day.

31st March 2010
Arrived for my appointment, the doctor talked me through all that is to be expected and prescribed champix. I had eaten before I'd gone into the doctors so decided that well there's no time like the present and took my first pill immediately after leaving. By 7:30pm at home I'd not really felt any different except for the fact I was consciously looking for effects, upon analysis the only possible difference was a mild change in the taste of a smoke.

1st April 2010
Well I slept well as normal and woke up earlier than usual by about an hour. I remembered the dream I had as well, cool. Vivid is too strong a word for it odd may fit. For those that are curious, it was about myself and a few other random people coughing then out of my mouth came what can only be described as thin plastic like a recoiling tape measure but it was ejecting from my mouth!! This went on and on until we all bagged up out pile of tape into garbage bags and compare who had the most. That's it!!!!
Its 2:00pm here now, I took days two's dose of champix this morning, its 2pm here now. I feel fine in fact better than fine, I'm a little hesitant to even say it but I'm in a real good mood today that's all. As far as champix effects on smoking are concerned, that change in taste is definitely there somewhat more pronounced than I mentioned yesterday evening they just don't taste as nice. The urge to smoke hasn't really changed however there still more left in the pack than is usual for this time of day.

That all I have for now, I intent to keep this updated for others in the future. Please feel free to ask any questions- I'll do my best to answer.
Wish me luck. :D
Posted Image

#2 mooshoomeep

mooshoomeep

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 524 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 01 April 2010 - 03:19 PM

Welcome! This is the post I have been waiting for since joining back in the board. I quit smoking using the patches one year and a few months ago (round 2) and it's been a sticky quit. I smoked for almost 15 years, and my boyfriend of 13 years still smokes over a pack a day. I am very interested in keeping track of your journal-it really struck a chord with me for personal reasons. Keep me posted ok? Best of luck.

#3 Dunkin

Dunkin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,459 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 01 April 2010 - 04:01 PM

Good luck to you neptune! So is your quit day April 7? I also took Chantix to quit and I've now been smoke free for over 22 months! It is very doable, not necessarily easy, but doable. I myself didn't experience any side effects from the Chantix. I think it helped me a great deal and I think you are taking the right path by being knowledgeable and watching for possible side effects.

For me, I didn't particularly notice the taste of smoking being different, however, without realizing it, I found myself smoking less and less as I went through my first week of taking Chantix. It was just like the withdrawals were not hitting me like they used to so I wouldn't notice it was "time for my next smoke" until after I normally would have.

You will still have to fight for your quit. It will not be a piece of cake. But for me Chantix took a big edge off the withdrawal symptoms and allowed me to finally find a sticky quit :mrgreen:

Good luck to you neptune. I know you can do this!
Quit May 31, 2008

"If you want to change your life, change your mind."

Dunkin

Posted Image

#4 Rain Forest

Rain Forest

Ash Kicker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,426 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 01 April 2010 - 04:28 PM

hey neptune, it's nice to meet'cha!

I have some experience with Champix (Chantix in the USA)... I see that you have really done your homework about this drug, so that's really good. My one suggestion to you is this: you mentioned the horror stories you have read regarding Champix... if you start feeling different, you might consider not taking the full dose. And obviously, if you start feeling "bad different", let your doctor know right away.

Now I only took it long enough to get thru the physical withdrawal, then I just went cold turkey. But I know that this is truly a miracle drug for a lot of people at this forum. You will do great and be a non-smoker before ya know it.

You might also want to read up on our addiction. Try www.whyquit.com and also the Newbie Package here... the more you know, the easier it is... I prob'ly don't have to tell ya this, but: knowledge is power!

Rain :)

event.png

Freedom date: May 13, 2009

I oftentimes say I'm leaving here.  Jan says:

"She always says that. She's got her fingers crossed behind her back."

Jan is right... lol

#5 judyj605

judyj605

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • LocationMISSOURI

Posted 01 April 2010 - 04:37 PM

Just wanted to let you know that I had tried every thing on the market to quit smoking and after 35 years of die-hard smoking those cancer sticks I finally quit with the help of chantix...... Three years quit this July. You go for it....
8/26/07 A sticky Quit !!!!!!!!!!!!!

#6 Ricookles

Ricookles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 322 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 01 April 2010 - 05:15 PM

Hi Neptune,

A chantix user here as well...
I am now 33 days quit.
This is my second tome using Chantix (I tried a year and a half-ish ago) and expected it to snatch that cig right out of my hand. Well, it didn't... I found this time that yes, I do actually have to make an efort on my part. It's not easy, but at least the physical connection to nicotine is weakened by the use of the med. The triggers are still there, so I have to pay attention.
It's not a miracle pill by any means, but if you have tried everything on the market as I have, well...

Definitely keep yourself informed with the NEWBIE INFO and the WHYQUIT site.

There is a thing on whyquit that goes in depth on the side effects (more so than what they tell on the TV). Really pay attention to ANY side effects. The dreams are cool and all. Even the scary ones, but the hostility is damaging to relationships, the insomnia sucks even when, as a chronic insomniac, I am accustomed to it. There are so many side effects that I have personally been going thru with it, but you can read about all of them on the whyquit site or FDA site. It will affect different people in different ways.

I am not trying to give you just negativity about the med. It is a lifesaver for me. I would just say, be very aware of your emotions at all times. I am now at 1/2 dose. It is still helping (or it's my crutch at this point)

#7 dancer_I

dancer_I

Freedom fighter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,215 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 01 April 2010 - 09:57 PM

Good luck and may you find your sticky quit.

Quit from 3/8/14

#8 neptune

neptune

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 07:15 AM

Well thanks guys for all the replies and encouragement.

2nd April 2010

I'll have to update this again later since its 2pm here and I only just took my Champix, last night was a friends leaving party and I kinda fell through the front door at 5am. I am pretty sure I smoked heaps last night, anyways well see how the day goes. I haven't had one yet. I decided that the 7th is my quit day and wrote it on the champix box.

To be continued later.

Right, its later 4:20pm;
I have changed my quit date, the 5th now not the 7th. The 5th is already an important day for me being my youngest daughters birthday. I am finding the urge to smoke is diminished again today. I have smoked because of two reasons, 1. I can. 2. Champix says I can. Funny how yer mind interprets things isn't it. I didn't feel that I needed to smoke though. Weird. Tomorrow I ramp up the dose, it doubles from 0.5g once a day to twice a day. I'm hoping that the increased dose will help with the cravings Monday morning (5th). My intention is to never ever smoke again upon waking that day.
Posted Image

#9 MaryfromKansas

MaryfromKansas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts
  • LocationSE Kansas

Posted 02 April 2010 - 10:06 AM

Welcome Neptune! Nice post. Several friends quit using Chantix and had no side effects. You sound very prepared, good luck!

Posted Image

#10 neptune

neptune

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 12:08 PM

2nd April Update

I want to add, that I do feel a little vacant this evening, not sure if its the champix or the remains of a hangover, I really did have a big one last night. Was hell of a good time though. My mood is fine, just feel tired and drained that's all. Secondly I remember my dream of last night as well, that is two night in a row. It is quite rare for me to remember my dreams. This one was about a work related piece of paperwork that someone insisted on changing however from my viewpoint they had no business changing it. Dreams are odd. Anyways this is about smoking, I've had four or five today - that's much better than normal but if I don't write that I think the sleeping in late and hangover are contributing factors, I'd be deceiving myself and readers.
Also is anyone else quitting on the 5th? It'd be great is they could jump in here and post as well.
Posted Image

#11 Bobbie51

Bobbie51

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,407 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted 02 April 2010 - 12:10 PM

Hi, I am also using chantix. When I 1st came on this board, I also posted about it and wondered about the side effects. I have vivid dreams but nothing bad. I also in the beginning had stomach aches but not anymore. It definately helped me. I still get plenty of cravings but I'm able to talk myself through them. I haven't been drinking since I quit though. Good Luck.

event.png

Quit smoking on 3/18/10

#12 slocum

slocum

Crave free!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,962 posts
  • quitdate:
    11-02-2007

Posted 02 April 2010 - 12:34 PM

Hello and welcome to the board. I quit with Chantix too and found it a wonderful tool. It pretty much got rid of most of my withdrawals. I quit on the day they recommended when the pills strength was increased and found it a breeze.
There is a lot of issue about whether the pill causes depression and in my opinion Chantix gets a bad rap. I have quit many times going cold turkey and always went into a bad depression. To be honest this is the easiest quit I ever had, but not to disillusion you that it still took a lot of work on my part to make this quit work.
Best wishes :D
Posted Image

Posted Image

Quit date: November 2, 2007
Facing the truth about addiction one day at a time.

#13 Bobbie51

Bobbie51

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,407 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted 02 April 2010 - 12:42 PM

Susan, How long did you stay on Chantix. I'm weaning myself off, but I'm not sure if that's good or bad. Your right, it really helped with the withdrawal.

event.png

Quit smoking on 3/18/10

#14 slocum

slocum

Crave free!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,962 posts
  • quitdate:
    11-02-2007

Posted 02 April 2010 - 12:49 PM

Hi Bobbie,
They don't mention a weaning down on the box, so I didn't. I know it sounds scary, but it was no problem. I did take Chantix for 4 months. I got the second prescription of it just because I wanted to make sure I had a strong quit going and found I didn't need to take it the other 2 months. I found quitting the Chantix to be uneventful. :D
Posted Image

Posted Image

Quit date: November 2, 2007
Facing the truth about addiction one day at a time.

#15 neptune

neptune

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 12:49 PM

I'm curious as to the answer to that as well, have people generally just stopped chanpix or weaned themselves. Logic tells me to wean myself off them, I was thinking of either taking a starter pack backwards or chop up the pills of my last maintenance pack. Not sure and not there yet anyways, knowledge is always a good thing.
Also a big thanks to everyone again for posting, the encouragement and well wishes. :D
Posted Image

#16 Bobbie51

Bobbie51

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,407 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted 02 April 2010 - 12:54 PM

I starting by cutting my night pill in half, now I don't take that one. Have a wonderful Easter!!

event.png

Quit smoking on 3/18/10

#17 neptune

neptune

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 03:07 PM

2nd April Update #2

Dang I just ran out of smokes!! That's very very rarely happen to me - the best part is I don't feel that bothered. I would normally be almost obsessive and to have bought enough to go till the morning plus a spare pack, in fact I kinda consciously plan my cigarette purchases around the next day / evenings plan. I could go get some and be back within 10 minutes but can't be bothered. This would never happen without champix period, I'm really surprised and its only day three. I do have a few odd aches joint pains this evening, for the moment I'm putting it down to drinking too much last night and today's hangover.
Night all, we'll see what tomorrow brings.
Posted Image

#18 neptune

neptune

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 09:37 AM

3rd April 2010

Well, don't I feel crap lol. I think I'm getting some bug, still got the aches & pains and a little bit of a sore throat today. Bought some smokes this morning and to be honest I have smoked the same as I usually would. Today's the first day that the champix dose ramps up, I took the first one this morning 9am so I'll take the next one at 9pm tonight.
I sure hope this bug I am getting is really a bug and not some weird side effect. I feel fine in my self and worked today without issues. Rather a restless nights sleep, I remember waking up several times.
That's about it for this installment, I'll update later if there's anything.
Posted Image

#19 neptune

neptune

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 01:41 PM

3rd April 2010 Update

Yep there's an update. Maybe I have been reading to much into it but I am not taking my second champix tonight. Those pains I mentioned above, well there still there I even found a slight lump just above my elbow and my lymph node in my left armpit is painful as well. The knee pain is gone but I feel really tired. Mood wise I'm fine, upbeat - I still am going to quit. I'm just not convinced that these pills are the right way to go for me.
I'd appreciated some feed back from anyone else who's had similar i.e "pain related side effects" mentally I feel fine but having read some more about how my body feels I'm thinking I'm getting side effects as opposed to getting sick or going down with a bug.

Things I've felt today:
Knee Pain
Joint Pain
Tiredness / Lethargy
General aches all over mostly arms and legs and as mentioned above.
Awareness of heartbeat / pulse - at times disconcerting maybe anxiety dunno, never felt it before.
I not had any of the other commonly reported side effects but the list is getting a little to much for me to ignore.

BTW none of this can be due to quitting, simply because I haven't yet.
Posted Image

#20 Zoso

Zoso

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 03:08 PM

Okay, this is day 12 on the drug (just took my morning pill) and I might as well be taking vitamins. Other than slightly better dreams, I have no main effects nor side effects, feel no different psychologically, and cigarettes taste exactly the same. I'm still smoking a pack a day.

It's possible that it's taking long because I'm 6'4" and 200 pounds. They would give the same dosage to a 110 pound woman.

What was your first quit day in the process? Anyone longer than 12 days?

I know it takes effort and will power, but I'm waiting for the chemical change before I actually stop smoking. I mean that is the point of this stuff. I'd like to eliminate the chemical rush, and just deal with the triggers and the lifestyle on my own. When I've quit cold (two times), I ate like a pig and was depressed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users