#23 tipsylass

tipsylass

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • LocationMaine

Posted 12 July 2008 - 11:35 PM

I love this post but am always distracted by the punctuation problems and typos (I can't help it... I'm an English teacher!). Please find below a "slightly edited" version. Eric, I hope it's okay; I didn't change anything significant!
******************************************************************************************************************
I used to believe that quitting smoking was the hardest thing that I have ever tried to do. I used to believe that I was a hopeless addict who would die a smoker.

I have tried to quit smoking so many times that I have lost count, and every single failed attempt only added validity to what I already knew.... that quitting smoking was impossible.

Not until I learned about nicotine addiction did I realize something profound. It wasn't necessarily quitting smoking that was so hard to do; it was quitting believing in cigarettes that was hard to do.

See, I used to believe in the cigarette.

I used to believe that cigarettes kept me calm. The truth, though, is that nicotine is a stimulant. Every time I smoked a cigarette, it raised my hearbeat by about 20 beats more a minute. Smoking constricted my arteries, and, not only that, the carbon monoxide from the cigarette was basically poisoning my blood's ability to carry oxygen, creating an even greater strain on my heart. How could I be calm when I was putting this kind of strain on my body over 40 times a day, every day?

I used to believe that cigarettes relieved my stress. Little did I know that smoking created a lot of stress. The whole business of smoking is relieving an anxiety that the previous cigarette created.

After each cigarette that I smoked, the nicotine metabolized. Because nicotine was able to fit my adrenaline locks, they pumped adrenaline though my bloodstream, leaving me with a slight fight or flight feeling. I was left with a heightened anxiety, an antsy feeling that I didn't like. My mind and body were being fooled into thinking that something was wrong, like I was in danger when in reality there was nothing wrong. My subconscious figured something out though. Smoking a cigarette would relieve that anxiety. Not knowing that it was being tricked and also looking out for my best interest, it would say, "Smoke a cigarette and you'll feel better." So I would smoke a cigarette, relieve that anxiety and start the whole vicious cycle over again. The only stress I was relieving was the stress that the previous cigarette had created.

Not only that, but whenever I was under stress, it caused a physiological reaction that caused nicotine to get pulled from my bloodstream. So now was I not only under stress, I had a compounded problem of being in drug withdrawal. So I would smoke a cigarette, "feel better" and think, "Oh, smoking helped me relieve some of my stress." The reality is though, it did nothing but relieve drug withdrawal, a compounded anxiety that should never have been there in the first place. Nothing changed after smoking that cigarette. Whatever caused my initial stress was still there. The only difference was that I had temporarily pacified the monkey on my back.

I used to believe that smoking made me happy. Sadly, smoking causes a form of depression. Sure, I can say that smoking releases dopamine, BUT that is only part of the story. Being the amazing machine that it is, my brain needed to regulate how much dopamine was being released. It couldn't regulate nicotine as it was a foreign substance(poison), so it had no other choice but to turn down its own sensitivity to releasing dopamine. My own natural neurotransmitters were being hijacked, forcing me to rely a lot more on the cigarette just to "feel good" or more accurately, feel nicotine normal. The truth was, I was happy DESPITE SMOKING and not because of it.

I used to believe that smoking was social. This makes me laugh now, because how can smoking be social? Was it social when I had to put my life on hold to put a stop to drug withdrawal? Was it social when I had to wash my hands because I was embarassed about stinking like a cigarette? When I had to turn my head when I spoke because of the stench on my breath? The only time that smoking was even remotely social was when I smoked around other smokers and that was because misery loves company.

I used to believe that cigarettes were the perfect companion to alcohol. Besides stress, this one was a doozy for me. Oh how I used to think, " If I only smoked when I drank, I would be a happy smoker." Even though this illusion was much craftier than a lot of the other ones, it was still an illusion. The truth is that much like stress, alcohol created a physiological reaction that pulled nicotine out of my bloodstream at an accelerated rate. Unlike stress though, whatever anxiety I was feeling from drug withdrawal was being masked by the intoxication from the alcohol. So even though I was relieving an accelerated drug withdrawal, I wasn't aware of it because I wasn't feeling the anxiety that stress causes. I still love my beer and it sure tastes a lot better now that I don't have to chase it with a cigarette.

Whenever I quit smoking and saw people smoking. I used to believe that they “got” to smoke and I didn't. The truth is, Smokers HAVE to smoke to "feel normal." They HAVE to smoke to keep the anxieties of not smoking at bay. They HAVE to smoke keep the compounded problem of drug withdrawal from happening 20, 30, 40 times plus a day. They do not GET to smoke. Thankfully I no longer HAVE to do that.

I no longer believe in the cigarette. I used to. I used to believe that cigarettes did something FOR me. I know better now. They only do TO me.
To follow, without halt, one aim: There's the secret of success.
Smoke free as of June 18, 2008, 10 p.m. EDT.

#24 patti1953

patti1953

N.O.P.E.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,255 posts
  • quitdate:
    03/02/08
  • LocationUSA - Kansas

Posted 13 July 2008 - 11:39 AM

Posted Image
Take care of you, Patti
Not One Puff since March 2, 2008

#25 cookielinda

cookielinda

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,509 posts

Posted 13 July 2008 - 11:53 AM

I want to print out Believing in the Cigarette for my mama but the print keeps coming out so small you would need a magnifying glass. I've tried increasing the size on word and then printing and it does the same thing. Help.
I promise you that a day will come when you will be comfortable in your own body. I promise you that a day will come when your brain will heal. Never take another puff. Your a puff away from a pack a day.
Quit date April 28, 2008

#26 bonnie

bonnie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,568 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 13 July 2008 - 11:57 AM

Hi Cookie,

I just highlite it, hit copy on the right click (as I am sure you know)

Then I go to word.. Paste it.. highlite it and change the font size. It should look bigger. then print.

My printer is not working on black ink so I have to do that to change the print to color so I can see it.

Bonnie
Free on 12/16/06

#27 Eric

Eric

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,382 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 01:13 PM

NNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO tipsylass. Now my post is ruined!!!! LOL just kidding. Naw I don't care. I'm sure my punctuation isn't up to scratch. :D

Was never the best at that.

Eric
“Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all of the barriers within yourself that you have built against it.”~Rumi

#28 Victoriaparkhil

Victoriaparkhil

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,948 posts
  • LocationEasy Street, Gilmanton Iron Works,New Hampshire,USA

Posted 13 February 2009 - 04:03 AM

This rings true for me right now! Thanks Eric! Vic
Keeping my Quit and Never Taking Another Puff!
Posted Image
AFTER 43 YEARSquit date: December 31, 2008
Posted Image

#29 boostup

boostup

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Locationtampa, florida

Posted 13 February 2009 - 10:26 PM

I ''quit'' about 4 times because i didn't know how my body would handle the withdrawl.

But now i know, screw them cigs. Its good to see that you saw the light at the end of the tunnel!
Posted Image

#30 moonflower

moonflower

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 14 February 2009 - 08:49 PM

Great post Eric.

Another thing to remember -- quit now, because if you ever find yourself in a situation where you have a huge health crisis, it's harder to quit when you're in a panic mode.

(When I hurt my back from an accident, I was in a panic mode. I couldn't quit then. I probably would have healed better if I'd quit before that, though.)
"If not now, when?"

#31 Victoriaparkhil

Victoriaparkhil

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 10:46 PM

:idea:
Posted Image
Posted Image

#32 Dunkin

Dunkin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,459 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 11 March 2009 - 07:18 PM

Still more of my favorite threads.
Quit May 31, 2008

"If you want to change your life, change your mind."

Dunkin

Posted Image

#33 Dunkin

Dunkin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,459 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 20 March 2009 - 06:56 PM

Here's one for Steveos900. Sort of like romancing the cigarette :mrgreen: Hope it helps.
Quit May 31, 2008

Dunkin

Posted Image

#34 Dunkin

Dunkin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,459 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 10 June 2009 - 03:22 PM

Oldie and a Goody!
:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Quit May 31, 2008

Dunkin

Posted Image

#35 Dunkin

Dunkin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,459 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 01 July 2009 - 03:27 PM

For all the new folks quitting today. Stop believing in the cigarette and it will get easier!
Quit May 31, 2008

Dunkin

Posted Image

#36 Mogy

Mogy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 08:09 PM

I know it is in the newbie baggage too.. but i have read this list about 20 times today and everytime it makes more sense so i wanted to pump it on the board too.
Never know with Bees...

Posted Image
[/url]

#37 Dunkin

Dunkin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,459 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 08 July 2009 - 06:23 PM

bump
Quit May 31, 2008

Dunkin

Posted Image

#38 Victoriaparkhil

Victoriaparkhil

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 06:56 PM

Bump for Sonata! :D Vic
Posted Image
Posted Image

#39 Dunkin

Dunkin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,459 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 08 December 2009 - 01:14 PM

This post really helped me early on, maybe it will help someone else too :mrgreen:
Quit May 31, 2008

Dunkin

Posted Image

#40 slocum

slocum

Crave free!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,962 posts
  • quitdate:
    11-02-2007

Posted 13 January 2010 - 09:41 PM

:D
Posted Image

Posted Image

Quit date: November 2, 2007
Facing the truth about addiction one day at a time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users