Posted 11 June 2007 - 02:00 PM

Jeff said:

If you have time please express
how you are doing with your breathing. I want to know
how you are doing, and why not..after all you have given
to this place I can be a listening ear
with the gang here. I also understand privacy too so
no pressure

Jeff, I don't know what level of COPD I have but after this Thursday, I imagine that I will have an idea. I was told in 2000 that I had COPD and nothing more. I didn't think to ask about a level. Of course, you know how long its been since I quit smoking so you know I continued to smoke even with the diagnosis.

The meds I take are:
Advair (daily)
Spiriva (daily)
Combivent (as needed)
Singulair (nightly)
Albuterol (as needed)

Before I go any further I would like to put out into the Universe a caution about the Advair. It can cause havoc with your immune system. This is something I wasn't told. I have had a case of thrush, not only in my throat (no mouth involvement) BUT down my esophagus that has been ongoing and very painful. So far meds are not touching the infection. I used the Advair as directed but still got sick from it. Now that I have been on it for years it proves to be next to impossible to get off it. Believe me, I've tried. It feels like your body "wants" it and puts up a fuss if it doesn't get it.

At MY request (and largely because of you, Jeff) I pushed for a Pulmonary Function test. That will take place this Thursday. As an inquiring mind, I wanted to know :wink: just where I stood in this whole mess.

I am also going to ask my doctor (visit this afternoon) to get me enrolled in a pulmonary exercise/therapy class at our hospital. I've read that this 12 week class can produce results in lung function that lasts for months and months.

I can walk, mow my lawn, climb the stairs in my home, shovel snow, garden, haul my laundry, haul my groceries into the house...all fairly well. However, there are days that I feel as though I just don't want to do it...sigh.

There you have it, Jeff. I hope I've given you the information you were looking for. If not, please let me know because maybe I missed something.

Right now this Advair "thing" is driving me nuts and putting me "right on the edge of tears" most of the day. The pain is horrible and unrelenting. Those of you who use it...be careful. Right after you inhale this stuff brush your teeth, eat yogurt once a day, and keep on top of any sore throat you may have. I kept telling my doctor that my throat was raw and hurt. He'd look inside and tell me it was red, raw and looked like post nasal drip. Well, after 9 months of playing around the infection literally 'blew up'. Now you can see it with the naked eye. It is hampering my breathing

Do your research. Make a list when you go to your doctor. Be a good advocate with yourself and for yourself. After all, it's your life and they are your lungs...you are the only friend they have and you need to speak for them and knock on every door you find to help them out when they need it. :cry:
LIFE is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming: "WOW, what a RIDE!"

#2 Jeff

Jeff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,686 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 02:15 PM

MIMI good for you!
I feel You WILL be helping so many people just by
sharing like that. I figure hey why not talk about
it since much of this is or "was" smoking related right?
We never know who is reading these post out there.

That PFT test was interesting to me.
MIMI I do not know if you have had one of these before
or not so i am just rambling here.

I was told after I did mine I was NOT like a non smoker
at 49 but I did ok considering I smoked since age 10.
I figure I was lucky because smokers can end up with
even more serious damage at ages 35 or so.
So at age 50'ish I felt lucky as a big dog !!

The PFT test does not hurt per say, but they will push
you to the limit on the exhale part. It is important
to continue pushing hard on exhale even
when you feel you have no more air to push out.

We will be very glad to see what you think of it when you come back after the test.

Again good for you MIMI your worth all the best ok?
And keep us posted...please :)
QUIT SMOKING AUDIO DOWNLOADS
(Thanks to Skip & Joel) http://www.whyquit.com/joel/#video

DEC 4 2006 = My freedom

#3 janpo1

janpo1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 11 June 2007 - 04:02 PM

I'm not sure i shared the reason why I finally decided to stop smoking but this thread seems like the right place .

I have had a problem with my eye's since feb. I was allergic to something but we couldn't find out what. I had been to my regular dr and a dermatologist since my eye problem was on the eyelid itself.

I decided to go to an allergist. I had never been to one before so i went by a co-worker's recommendation.

First and only visit there went horrible. He ended up being a quack.

He first asked me about my eyelid's and the symptoms. I told him what was going on etc. He then took out a stethascope and listened to my lungs. From there it went downhill. He had me take a lung test. A table top version of one. I had never done this before so i failed the lung test. He told me my lungs were that of a 114 yr old person and that i had COPD and would be on oxygen in 10 yrs if i didn't quit smoking. I say he told me that but honestly ~ he yelled at me the rest of my appointment. I told him i needed help in stopping smoking and at that point he got so angry at me that he actually walked out of the room and told me to leave but not before he trashed my regular dr who happens to be a DO.

I went home and called my regular dr and told him the findings of the allergist. I had just seen my regular dr in Feb. This was april when all of this happened. He told me i did not have COPD but yes i did need to quit smoking and presribed me the chantix.

2 day's after stopping smoking my coughing and wheezing both stopped.

So really a bad dr's visit actually turned out well for me.

I was on Advair and saw the ads that say not to be on it for longer than 6 mos without being under a dr's care.

My heart goes out to anyone with COPD. It is not reversable but from everything i have read you can control it.
One puff is too many and a 1000 puffs are not enough.

Quit Date

April 22, 2007

#4 mary

mary

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,414 posts
  • Locationsan antonio

Posted 11 June 2007 - 04:33 PM

In our newspaper we have an ADVICE page. You know with Dear Abby, Heloise,etc. It also has Dr. Paul Donohue. One of today's questions is about COPD. He basically tells the difference between the two illnesses...emphysema and chronic bronchitis. But the one thing that stuck out was...STOPPING SMOKING IS THE MOST IMPORTANT FACET OF TREATMENT. And i am so happy that ya'll have done that with such fortitude. Thank goodness. mary

#5 Mimi

Mimi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,235 posts
  • LocationMichigan's Upper Peninsula

Posted 12 June 2007 - 02:51 PM

Here's a little update, Jeff, and anyone else who may be interested. I went to the doctor yesterday and found out that my most recent chest film showed very little advance in my mild COPD than the film taken in 2005. This is good and encouraging news! And, I gotta say, everyone in the offices keeps praising me for my quit. Seems like a lot of folks try, even with the Chantix, and fail somewhere along the way. I guess I have become the office "poster child" for a sound quit. :wink:

I haven't smoked for 5 Months, 18 hours and 52 minutes (151 days). I haven't given the tobacco industry $1,301.55 to line their pockets . I have added 2 Weeks, 4 Days, 10 hours and 40 minutes to my life to spend hugging my grandchildren, walking my dogs and listening to my kitties purr. Quit date, 01.11.2007.
LIFE is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming: "WOW, what a RIDE!"

#6 janpo1

janpo1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 12 June 2007 - 03:51 PM

How is your breathing now Mimi since you stopped smoking?

Any wheezing etc?
One puff is too many and a 1000 puffs are not enough.

Quit Date

April 22, 2007

#7 Mimi

Mimi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,235 posts
  • LocationMichigan's Upper Peninsula

Posted 12 June 2007 - 04:22 PM

Breathing OK, with meds. Without meds, a bit of a struggle but I can breathe but can't do any running, etc. without the meds. I never did experience any wheezing, even when I was smoking. Doctor says "marked" improvement in lung sounds since I quit smoking :wink:

Overall it's a win-win situation. More money in my own pocket. Cleaner house, car and me! Better lung function, no wheezing, more endurance.

I haven't smoked for 5 Months, 20 hours and 22 minutes (151 days). I haven't given the tobacco industry $1,302.08 to line their pockets . I have added 2 Weeks, 4 Days, 10 hours and 50 minutes to my life to spend hugging my grandchildren, walking my dogs and listening to my kitties purr. Quit date, 01.11.2007.

#8 Jeff

Jeff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,686 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 04:59 PM

Just jumping in here for a sec.
That is good news MIMI and they say to quit smoking is
number 1 thing to do with any COPD case. You knew that
already and good for you!

So since 2005 -2007 lungs are ok? Good sign that your
cilia have held on and are fighting to stay strong.
Those little cilia are like tiny friends inside our lungs :)

I will be back later, I got a Farm Market meeting soon here
(I am a marketeer) ,we are opening up Saturday so
today is last minute preps. Plus I play music on the side
with a friend at the market so gotta get that going too.
QUIT SMOKING AUDIO DOWNLOADS
(Thanks to Skip & Joel) http://www.whyquit.com/joel/#video

DEC 4 2006 = My freedom

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users