Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-04-18
  • LocationTexas, USA

Posted 21 April 2017 - 07:55 AM

I would like some opinions on this. I have been smoke free for about 72 hours. Yay! Things are getting better and I don't have horrible cravings for an actual cigarette much anymore. I do still have moments where I just want something. Usually it's when I think about how I used to sit on my back porch with a cup of coffee, reading my favorite book and smoking.

Because I still want this, I have had a couple of friends who have recommended that I get a vapor with no nicotine. They said if I just have it for the feel of smoking it will stop those urges.

What I would like from the amazing people on this forum is your opinion. Is that an option for someone who is quitting smoking or will it just be another step towards a relapse? As tempting as it is, I don't want to do that if it will hurt my progress. Anyone have any experience with this? Thanks for your input.

event.png

#2 giveintowin

giveintowin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 08:45 AM

I wouldn't do this since no-one knows if e-cigs are safe. They are a controversial topic here and in other forums for a number of reasons.

I personally need to break the associations of smoking and something that mimics the action of smoking is something I wouldn't do since I would find it triggering.

That's my personal feelings about it, however no-one knows if vaping is safe so I can't see it as a good option.

• Frank, happycat, Jillar and 2 others like this

Quit date Wednesday 12 April 2017, AEDT.

It is a relief to not be killing myself slowly. Every day I don't smoke I am getting stronger.

#3 Hope2Nope

Hope2Nope

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,945 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-10-31
  • LocationSea of Tranquility

Posted 21 April 2017 - 08:47 AM

welcome and congrats on your quit! I'd stay away from vapor. Changing the routine usually helps the cravings you describe. Don't read on your porch or don't drink coffee but something else instead until you feel comfortable. If these doesn't help, try a JAC (aka Jillar's Air Cigarette).

• Frank, Catlover, happycat and 2 others like this

image.png?base_img=6&size=0&date_yr=2016

#4 Catlover

Catlover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 626 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 21 April 2017 - 09:58 AM

Congrats on your first 3 days done :-D and I agree with Hope2Nope, change up your routines. Go read and enjoy your book elsewhere, and take a sandwich, plate of fruit or bag of sweets/candy with you.
You will soon become used to the new routines and it will become your new normal.
Keep it going,on your way to a week quit ...yay
  • Frank, happycat, Catrina and 1 other like this

event.png

30ksjlf.jpg

#5 cbdave

cbdave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts
  • quitdate:
    2015-10-03
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 21 April 2017 - 10:38 AM

G'day
Why "smoke" anything?
"Smoking" something else is just admitting you have to "smoke".
You have spent three days quit. That's YOU yes you! you did that... pretty pleased... should be.. champ!
Keep walking foward, don't look back. It's a case of "doing", forget the "trying" bit. It will only try you.
I don't have to wish you luck! Ya don't need it you just need Not To Smoke.
C
  • Frank, MissyCat, happycat and 3 others like this
1443861000_20_1_USD_2_default.png
Proud 2015 BadAshes

If you have just one you will be right back where you started, and where you started was desperately wishing you were where you are right now. —Marvitta

LIVE like someone left the gate open - unknown

#6 Lin-quitting

Lin-quitting

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-03-06
  • Locationsmall-town Kansas USA

Posted 21 April 2017 - 11:25 AM

My opinion: recipe for relapse.

I think it would be akin to romancing the cigarette, and be a trigger toward wanting/having one. Change up those old habits instead, replace a cigarette with a hard candy or carrot stick instead. We want to clear all those brain pathways away from the bad habits of smoking.

You're doing fantastic nst with a solid 3 day quit. Keep up the good work. You can do this!

• Frank, happycat, Catrina and 1 other like this

]1488790801_16_1_USD_3_blacksec.png

"I didn't come this far to only come this far."

30ksjlf.jpg

I want my life back.

I WANT MY LIFE BACK!

There is no try, there is only do. Failure is not an option.

Another proud member of the 2017 Smokebusters team.

#7 MissyCat

MissyCat

2014 Avenger

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,974 posts
  • quitdate:
    2014-10-21
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 21 April 2017 - 12:49 PM

Recipe for relapse....in my opinion.
  • Frank, happycat and Lone Goose like this
Carol
A 2014 Avenger
Smoke free since October 21, 2014

ddl449.jpg

1413806400_25_1_USD_8_default.png

#8 GraceLove

GraceLove

Truly Free

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,477 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-02-08
  • LocationUSA

Posted 21 April 2017 - 12:56 PM

Don't do it. You do not need that. :)

• Frank, happycat and JimHannoonen like this

image.png?base_img=2&size=0&date_yr=2017

30ksjlf.jpg

#9 happycat

happycat

N.O.P.E

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,205 posts
  • quitdate:
    2014-12-28

Posted 21 April 2017 - 01:03 PM

Recipe for relapse, imho. This is part of the habit you're trying to break. You don't need to reinforce the addiction. Work on positive diversions. Clean a drawer or window, Take a walk. Watch a cat video :). Do anything but smoke, even if you're just pretending to do that. These early days and weeks are tough for sure. The only way out is through them but things will get better and you CAN do it. :) Keep up the good work and push on!

• Frank, MissyCat and Lone Goose like this

event.png

When you feel like giving up, remember why you held on so long in the first place. ~ Anonymous ~

#10 beazel

beazel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,428 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-03-14
  • LocationPandora

Posted 21 April 2017 - 01:38 PM

neverstoptrying - good job on 3 days!!

That feeling of something missing is a tough one, maybe that's where the rewiring the brain comes in? I'm still  struggling with sitting on the porch, I'm getting a little teary eyed just talking about it. :sad:

I do not think vaping is a good idea. Period.

KTQ

• Frank, happycat and Catrina like this

2iijyuf.png

QSMB - "The Wind Beneath My Wings"

image.png?base_img=6&size=0&date_yr=2017     smileys-constellations-656087.gif

on the other side of fear lies freedom                                                                       

#11 happycat

happycat

N.O.P.E

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,205 posts
  • quitdate:
    2014-12-28

Posted 21 April 2017 - 01:44 PM

beazel- it took me about a year until I could sit on my porch as that was my smoking place. You will get there but it may take a years worth of triggers until you work through them. A one year commitment to this board is a good one to make. Just hang tough. It will come, I promise. You're already doing a great job :)

• Frank, marciem, MissyCat and 1 other like this

event.png

When you feel like giving up, remember why you held on so long in the first place. ~ Anonymous ~

#12 Buckster

Buckster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 01:54 PM

NST for me the hardest part of this ordeal was breaking the Habit of Smoking, using a Vape E-cig or air cig on any kind of regular basis I believe you would be reinforcing your smoking habit. Now that would be a very scary place for me Smoking cool not hot, smoking non nic instead of loaded nic? seems like a sharp edge to walk and not slip off. IMO I would not.
  • Frank likes this
The Eyes Have It !!!!!!  NOPE

c7a7513d68.png

1488429001_5_1_USD_8_whitesec.png

#13 Choosing2Breathe

Choosing2Breathe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,166 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-03-09
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 21 April 2017 - 02:01 PM

Neverstoptrying: I agree with the others - no vape. Pretty soon you may be able to head out to the porch and read, but for now do something else. It's been less than 2 months for me, but I finally can go out on the porch, read, have coffee, and no problems. Some people can do it quicker and some longer. Bottom line is find new things to do, not a pseudo-cig that may lead you back to the cruddy habit and addiction. You're doing great. Don't foul it up with vaping!
  • marciem and beazel like this

30ksjlf.jpg

image.png?base_img=1&size=0&date_yr=2017

1489046400_10_1_USD_8_default.png

#14 Frank

Frank

As good as it gets.!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,077 posts
  • LocationCalifornia USA

Posted 21 April 2017 - 02:17 PM

Vape ?  :puke:

You can still go out to the porch with your coffee and read.. just don't smoke. three or four times and the trigger will go away. 

Enjoy !

• Jillar, beazel and green meenie like this

Nov 6, 2011 I decided " I had enough with this sh*t "

I quit because I just got tired of the life under a rock, dark and with not enough air to breathe waiting for the day to get crushed!

Alcohol to a quit is like Kryptonite to Superman

Stop, Think and then React. Not React,Stop and then Think

Practice does not make it perfect, makes it permanent. Practice the right things!

Quitting is by far the best decision for the rest of your life.

If a Doctor gives you 6 months to live, would you start living after the first three? Quit now!

" I am a puff away form a pack a day"

Once you stop puffing or having Nicotine in any form, then and only then your symptoms will stop.

I quit with a frozen turkey. Once I felt comfortable with my quit,  I ate it.

Life is such a good teacher, that if you don't learn the lesson it will repeat it to you.

#15 Jillar

Jillar

Nothing Worthwhile Comes Easily

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,194 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-05-29
  • LocationI'm in a box, I can't get out! 😵😱😵

Posted 21 April 2017 - 02:35 PM

I changed up my routine neverstop. And I used my air cigarette. Some people don't agree but when a bad craving hit it was my go to to make the craving easier. I don't use it anymore so I don't agree with the others that think it keeps the "act" alive. I would not use a vape. Inhaling it just seems like a recipe for pneumonia to me!
Congratulations on 72 hours, you're doing really good :)
  • susiq and Jennet like this

image.png?base_img=5&size=0&date_yr=2016

5vbuwn.jpg
Things began to get better when I realized I would remain quit even if things never got any better.

Christian99 15 Years
QuitWe say here that it is better to be a nonsmoker with the occasional desire to smoke than a smoker with the constant desire to quit. Marciem
Always keep in mind, you are not going through this because you quit...you are going through this because you smoked. Nancy
Being successful doesn't mean that you'll never GET to smoke again. It means that you'll never HAVE to smoke again.

#16 JimHannoonen

JimHannoonen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-02-09
  • LocationSacramento, California

Posted 21 April 2017 - 03:34 PM

Don't even!

You're a non-smoker now. You have to hit all this madness with a full head of steam and deal with it. There are no tricks. When it comes down to it. Gum, patches, lozenges and vaping; all of that junk is still not a cigarette and at the end of the day, you're just putting off the inevitable.

It's so hard to do, but the sooner you deal with it, the sooner you'll be free.

It will get better, I promise, but it's going to take a while. You're going to have to be patient, but you can do this!

I got my eye on you....

• FloridaPam, Catrina, Jennet and 1 other like this

image.png?base_img=1&size=0&date_yr=2017

30ksjlf.gif

"We don’t slip into our greatest achievements. We commit and then make them happen."

#17 Barycenter

Barycenter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 491 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-09-14
  • LocationIndia

Posted 21 April 2017 - 03:42 PM

Asking for relapse. Even spmething called an air cigarette, in my opinion.

Forget smoking. Forget mimicking the act of smoking. The sooner that happens the easier it gets. You hang on with air cigarettes, or water cigarettes, thought cigarettes, you're not allowing the misery to end.

"Things began to get better when I realized I would remain quit even if things never got any better."

Christian99 14.5 Years Quit

http://www.quitsmoki...eally-want-one/

http://www.quitsmoki...7-no-mans-land/

image.png?base_img=6&size=0&date_yr=2016

5vbuwn.jpg

#18 neverstopdoing

neverstopdoing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-04-18
  • LocationTexas, USA

Posted 21 April 2017 - 05:29 PM

Thank you, everyone!

event.png

#19 CWW

CWW

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-03-30

Posted 21 April 2017 - 05:38 PM

Neverstoptrying I speak from personal experience on this exact situation. I once tried what you are thinking and it wasn't even 3days on my nicotine free vape and bam.....I was back to a pack a day. Sure am glad you bounced this off the board. Hope you don't do it....retrain your brain to just enjoy the book...longterm you'll be happier.....
  • MissyCat, Jillar, JimHannoonen and 1 other like this

image.png?base_img=4&size=0&date_yr=2017

#20 FloridaPam

FloridaPam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 511 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-04-27

Posted 22 April 2017 - 03:01 PM

It doesn't work for long anyway. Vape juice without nic is like breathing in (bad) air. There is no throat hit at all. So it isn't satisfying at all - it isn't what your brain is really craving which is nicotine. I tried it and quickly realized it was a stupid, potentially dangerous, idea. Honestly, the "air cigarette" is more effective and does not involve coating your lungs with oil. And you will not need to fake an air cigarette over time. I haven't in a very, very long time, but it was really helpful in the first several months.
  • Jillar and Jennet like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users