• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Axill02

Axill02

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 07:28 AM

Just stopped smoking three days ago with a patch chantix combo. I quit for one month awhile back with chantix alone but gradually started smoking again. Well, this time was harder - it took me awhile to get back the desire and will power to quit again. Unfortunately I couldnt quit again with chantix alone - it just didnt work like it did the first time. I finally decided to get the patch. Easter sunday i had my last cig and ive been able to fight the cravings but the fact that they are still there is annoying. I feel like i shouldnt be getting them if im still getting the noccotine AND im taking chantix. Im not expecting no cravings at all but am wondering if my body just has to adapt to the amount of niccoti e i am getting. I was smoking only about half a pack or less and thus bought the 14 mg patches. Anyway, they are helping because i have been able to fight the cravings and not smoke and am confident i will continue to do so. Any thiughts? Will the cravings subside? Does my body just need to adapt? It felt good to write this thx for reading.

#2 FloridaPam

FloridaPam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 524 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-04-27

Posted 22 April 2017 - 03:25 PM

Yes, your body needs to adapt. How nicotine is introduced to your body via smoking (sharp spikes of tobacco based nic inhaled into your lungs that reaches the brain in 7 to 10 seconds) versus the patch (non tobacco based nicotine that is administered through the skin in an even, constant manner) is different. It will take some time but your brain should adapt. Once adapted, the cravings should decrease but I used to still get cravings from time to time - certainly in the morning if the prior day's patch was wearing out. We still get cravings on the patch because we have not altered the fact that we are still actively addicted to nicotine. The thing is, the only way to stop the cravings is to ultimately get nicotine out of your body once and for all, never introduce it into your body again and to give your brain time to heal and rewire. Simple but not always easy. You will never stop craving as long as nicotine is still in your body.
  • Jillar likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users