#1 Stzr500

Stzr500

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 20 March 2017 - 11:33 PM

I did not have  a good day today. Still loaded with anxiety and cravings...it has settled down a bit but wow another blast and crying and all that other BS stuff. I just cannot believe how one day is okay and another is just pure havoc. Then to top it off a certified letter from the IRS comes today. Panic attack here we go holy s..t hang on. I thought for a split second on a cig and about gagged thinking about one. Got to love the ole fight or flight trigger. Anyway the letter was for me messing up last year and that they kept some of my return this year...no big deal. My question is why do things that haven't worried me so much in the past now have me in a full blown panic attack ???? WTH gives...I thought by now things would be getting better. I guess the body can heal quick sometimes, but I guess the soul takes a long time.

• marciem, Dors67 and JimHannoonen like this

1487968201_1_20_USD_8_blacksec.png

#2 JimHannoonen

JimHannoonen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-02-09
  • LocationSacramento, California

Posted 20 March 2017 - 11:48 PM

This is a rough road with a lot of blind curves, potholes and unmarked speed bumps.We can't expect to undo something we spent years doing in just a few short weeks. It's going to take a while.

Each day is a challenge and each day we face that challenge and look forward to the next.

Soon enough, we'll be looking back on these awful days with a fondness only we can appreciate.

We're committed to this and no matter how hard it gets, we'll deal with it. We may moan and groan, but at the end of the day, we're committed and that's that.

Stay strong! You're killin' this!

• Lone Goose, little_l and Stzr500 like this

image.png?base_img=1&size=0&date_yr=2017

30ksjlf.gif

"We don’t slip into our greatest achievements. We commit and then make them happen."

#3 green meenie

green meenie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-01-29

Posted 20 March 2017 - 11:49 PM

It's just the additional from quitting that adds to the anxiety we run into from day to day issues. Small things become a big deal quickly. Just stop and think next time you start getting upset. Take some deep breaths and relax. Try to think rationally about your situation before letting yourself slip into a panic attack. Unfortunately for most of us, the added anxiety remains far longer than we'd like. I will disappear eventually once your mind adjusts to the "new you". Stay strong and just NOPE your way through it :)

• Jillar and Stzr500 like this

1485676801_25_1_USD_13_whitesec.png

#4 Jillar

Jillar

Nothing Worthwhile Comes Easily

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,131 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-05-29
  • LocationIf not here, there

Posted 20 March 2017 - 11:56 PM

Sorry you're having a tough day stzr, those surprise triggers are the worst! That being said, you need to realize that you've just begun your non smoking journey. Some of us do great fast and others (me) take months. Yes, it does get better month to month and the good days do start outnumbering the bad eventually.
Also my new favorite saying is from Nancy who said "Always keep in mind, you are not going through this because you quit...you are going through this because you smoked."
  • Napsalot24-7, Stevo, JimHannoonen and 1 other like this

image.png?base_img=5&size=0&date_yr=2016

5vbuwn.jpg
Things began to get better when I realized I would remain quit even if things never got any better.

Christian99 15 Years
QuitWe say here that it is better to be a nonsmoker with the occasional desire to smoke than a smoker with the constant desire to quit. Marciem
Always keep in mind, you are not going through this because you quit...you are going through this because you smoked. Nancy
Being successful doesn't mean that you'll never GET to smoke again. It means that you'll never HAVE to smoke again.

#5 marciem

marciem

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,531 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 12:54 AM

I did not have  a good day today. Still loaded with anxiety and cravings...it has settled down a bit but wow another blast and crying and all that other BS stuff. I just cannot believe how one day is okay and another is just pure havoc. Then to top it off a certified letter from the IRS comes today. Panic attack here we go holy s..t hang on. I thought for a split second on a cig and about gagged thinking about one. Got to love the ole fight or flight trigger. Anyway the letter was for me messing up last year and that they kept some of my return this year...no big deal. My question is why do things that haven't worried me so much in the past now have me in a full blown panic attack ???? WTH gives...I thought by now things would be getting better. I guess the body can heal quick sometimes, but I guess the soul takes a long time.

You smoked for 30+ years, so no, your body and soul are not going to heal in 2 months... more like 3 to 6 months... but i'm betting if you look back at week one, two or three you can definitely see improvements.

and you're also seeing that "roller coaster effect"... just like a roller coaster, there are calm times and golden days... right before everything goes to he// in a handbasket emotionally :)  .  The only way off this ride permanently is to hang on tight and NOT SMOKE.  Otherwise you're doomed to either go thru all this again, or smoke the rest of your (possibly shortened, definitely not free) life.

It's perfectly normal to get worried about letters from the IRS... we all do that.  Heightened fear attacks are also normal at your stage of quitting.

• Dors67, Napsalot24-7, Jillar and 2 others like this

Quit Date 9/20/12
event.png
 image.png?base_img=2&size=0&date_yr=2012
   Honorary member of:  5a88dc8d35.png             

S.moking is N.ot an O.ption T.oday
Better to be a nonsmoker with an occasional desire to smoke, than a smoker with a constant desire to quit.
Remember: everything bad about quitting is temporary, and everything good about quitting is permanent. TimidTulip
Not a day will ever go by that life is 100% perfect. But 100% of the days are better not smoking      jwg
I feel no matter my outcome, quitting was still hands down the best thing I ever did....r.i.p. jwg 12/28/13
Like John, no matter my own outcome, quitting smoking is hands down the best thing I've ever done... mlm 2/16/17

#6 little_l

little_l

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 21 March 2017 - 01:24 AM

Hey Stzr500, I can also relate to the heightened anxiety associated with nicotine withdrawal. :|   I've found that doing some basic breathing yoga exercises helps   :) Below I've included 2 links, one of them even has a video that demonstrates one of those exercises - the 4-7-8- Relaxing Breath Exercise.Check them out if you want to and I hope they help you out too.Good luck! :)

https://www.drweil.c...ree-exercises/ 

https://www.drweil.c...-demonstration/

• marciem, Napsalot24-7, Lone Goose and 1 other like this

ab94673d12.png

30ksjlf.jpg

#7 Dors67

Dors67

Avenger 2014 :)

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,465 posts
  • quitdate:
    2014-03-07
  • LocationCyberLand

Posted 21 March 2017 - 01:30 AM

Stzr500,

This is normal behaviour for an ex smoker early in their quit.

You see, now that you have decided to quit this habit, everything that stresses you out takes your mind back to when you WERE a smoker.

This or that stressed me out...I used to grab that cig and make it better...BUT...did it??

Everything is the same now, except now you have to deal with stress without cigarettes.

Think about it..if you smoked that cigarette..what would have changed the situation.....

That's right nothing...just smoking.

So...what's the point in stressing out...you are healthier, wealthier and wiser now that you can cope without that cigarette.

Most days as a smoker, without thinking, we would grab that cigarette and think that it was calming us down. When in fact, all we were doing was adding to our problems, because then there would be another smoked and another and another etc.

Find an activity that will help overcome these times..eg take a walk, watch tv, read a magazine..whatever...

You are nearly 30 days free of this addiction.. be PROUD of yourself.

KTQ x
  • Jillar, Lone Goose and Stzr500 like this

image.png?base_img=2&size=0&date_yr=2014

event.png

2014 AVENGER  2j3342d.jpg     victory.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users