Photo

10 days in, bought a pack, smoked one, but what to do with the rest??

oops still motivated cigarettes in the house

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 livinginrainbows

livinginrainbows

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-01-14

Posted 23 January 2017 - 08:21 PM

So I'm 10 days in for the first time ever quitting after 5 years of smoking. I did this cold turkey and the usual crappy things happened. Today was just a standard Monday but for some reason I woke up feeling like it was the first day again and every second of the day I was lost in my head over it. I lost all control and bought a pack and smoke ONE. I was upset and obviously not satisfied with the choice or anything... So now I wasted 8 bucks on one cigarette and I don't know what to do with the rest?! Obviously i should throw it away but at the same time i can't help but think, well that was an expensive slip and I'd rather keep them than spend 8 bucks on any slip. I don't want them around or i may slip, but I'm still weak and want to be practical? Do i just throw them out or is there a way to keep them hidden without driving myself crazy knowing i have some somewhere in the house?

#2 Nancy.

Nancy.

Keeperbie

• Moderators
  • 12,044 posts
  • quitdate:
    2013-07-07
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 23 January 2017 - 08:34 PM

Unless you know a smoker you can hand them to right this minute, run water over them and throw them away.  If you don't, you will be throwing your quit away, imho.

Nancy

event.png

image.png?base_img=1&size=0&date_yr=2013

N.O.P.E. soldier_girl.gif
The only people who have craves forever are people that don't quit smoking ~ Eric
One puff is too much and 1000 cartons are not enough. ~ Hal

#3 Jillar

Jillar

Nothing Worthwhile Comes Easily

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,131 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-05-29
  • LocationIf not here, there

Posted 23 January 2017 - 08:50 PM

Agree with Nancy, throw them away and use it as a reminder of the money you wasted caving into one crave!

• livinginrainbows likes this

image.png?base_img=5&size=0&date_yr=2016

5vbuwn.jpg
Things began to get better when I realized I would remain quit even if things never got any better.

Christian99 15 Years
QuitWe say here that it is better to be a nonsmoker with the occasional desire to smoke than a smoker with the constant desire to quit. Marciem
Always keep in mind, you are not going through this because you quit...you are going through this because you smoked. Nancy
Being successful doesn't mean that you'll never GET to smoke again. It means that you'll never HAVE to smoke again.

#4 cbdave

cbdave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • quitdate:
    2015-10-03
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 23 January 2017 - 09:14 PM

G'day
5 years of smoking is 1825 days X $8 day is roughly $14000
$ 8 is hardly any loss when you look at the big picture.
C
  • Nancy., happycat, Jillar and 6 others like this
1443861000_20_1_USD_20_default.png
Proud 2015 BadAshes

If you have just one you will be right back where you started, and where you started was desperately wishing you were where you are right now. —Marvitta

LIVE like someone left the gate open - unknown

#5 Smokefreetoday

Smokefreetoday

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,402 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-07-10
  • LocationCanada

Posted 23 January 2017 - 09:43 PM

There is only one good thing to be done with cigarettes.  Drown them!  Nuff said :)

• Hope2Nope likes this

#6 marciem

marciem

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,531 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 12:07 AM

So I'm 10 days in for the first time ever quitting after 5 years of smoking. I did this cold turkey and the usual crappy things happened. Today was just a standard Monday but for some reason I woke up feeling like it was the first day again and every second of the day I was lost in my head over it. I lost all control and bought a pack and smoke ONE. I was upset and obviously not satisfied with the choice or anything... So now I wasted 8 bucks on one cigarette and I don't know what to do with the rest?! Obviously i should throw it away but at the same time i can't help but think, well that was an expensive slip and I'd rather keep them than spend 8 bucks on any slip. I don't want them around or i may slip, but I'm still weak and want to be practical? Do i just throw them out or is there a way to keep them hidden without driving myself crazy knowing i have some somewhere in the house?

I understand you feel like you don't want to "waste your $8.00".

What is more wasteful than burning up those cigarettes, while at the same time sucking the smoke into your lungs and injuring yourself, meanwhile also wasting your time while doing it?  To me, logic says that running them under water is much less wasteful and more practical than keeping them around to facilitate another relapse.

I fully understand how crazy-making the first days of a quit are.  I relapsed many times before I got this one to stick.  Stay around here, read about this addiction, and do understand... IT GETS BETTER!!  You won't always feel this crappy, even though your mind is telling you that "this is it, this is how its gonna be" for the rest of your life.  That's a lie.  One more junkie addiction lie that spins in our heads while we work on getting free.

• Jillar, Hope2Nope and Dianecz like this

Quit Date 9/20/12
event.png
 image.png?base_img=2&size=0&date_yr=2012
   Honorary member of:  5a88dc8d35.png             

S.moking is N.ot an O.ption T.oday
Better to be a nonsmoker with an occasional desire to smoke, than a smoker with a constant desire to quit.
Remember: everything bad about quitting is temporary, and everything good about quitting is permanent. TimidTulip
Not a day will ever go by that life is 100% perfect. But 100% of the days are better not smoking      jwg
I feel no matter my outcome, quitting was still hands down the best thing I ever did....r.i.p. jwg 12/28/13
Like John, no matter my own outcome, quitting smoking is hands down the best thing I've ever done... mlm 2/16/17

#7 Nancy.

Nancy.

Keeperbie

• Moderators
  • 12,044 posts
  • quitdate:
    2013-07-07
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 24 January 2017 - 01:50 AM

drowned or smoked?  check in and let us know...

Nancy

event.png

image.png?base_img=1&size=0&date_yr=2013

N.O.P.E. soldier_girl.gif
The only people who have craves forever are people that don't quit smoking ~ Eric
One puff is too much and 1000 cartons are not enough. ~ Hal

#8 Dianecz

Dianecz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 673 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-11-09
  • LocationUK

Posted 24 January 2017 - 02:14 AM

I am with everyone else, kill the beasts and get them out of your house as quickly as possible, if you keep them in the house you will just be thinking of them all the time and eventually, sooner or later, you will be smoking a pack a day. 

Please continue with your quit, and le us know how you are doing.

• Jillar, ThickSkin8 and 0zone like this

5vbuwn.jpgimage.png?base_img=1&size=1&date_yr=2016

event.png

#9 0zone

0zone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 271 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-01-01
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 24 January 2017 - 02:51 AM

You wanting to "keep" your $8 by having cigarettes around is your addicted brain trying to tell you that you are going to end up smoking again. Don't be fooled. Get rid of them, as cbdave said to you, $8 is nothing in the grand scheme of things.

• ThickSkin8 likes this

image.png?base_img=5&size=0&date_yr=2017         

30ksjlf.jpg

"Can blindly continued fear-induced regurgitated life-denying tradition be overcome?" - Alanis Morissette

#10 ThickSkin8

ThickSkin8

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-02-03

Posted 24 January 2017 - 06:06 AM

Throw out the pack. The money saved from quitting cigarettes far outweighs the $8.

30ksjlf.jpg

image.png?base_img=1&size=0&date_yr=2017

#11 sgraye

sgraye

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 442 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-09-27
  • LocationMumbai, India

Posted 24 January 2017 - 07:20 AM

Drown the cigarettes. However, keep the packet. Write down exactly how you felt on smoking from that pack when you broke your quit 10 days in . Whenever you get a crave again, fish out the packet as a reminder.

Smoking never feels as good as when you imagine it. Its like running a marathon. Seems great before and after, never during.

Hope you have not lost your quit.

• d2e8b8, Dianecz, Lone Goose and 1 other like this
NOPE3 minutes at a time ..that's how long my craving lastsOne hour at a time.. till I get through the first 3 daysOne day at a time.. till I complete the first 3 monthsOne second at a time.. the second I decide to smoke, I relapse.

1474954200_6_1_EUR_3_dark.png

#12 Autumn

Autumn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 604 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-11-01
  • LocationMee-Knee-Soo-Tahh

Posted 24 January 2017 - 07:40 AM

I relapsed on my 9th day of my last quit (Nov 1st, original date was 10/23) and the best decision I made was not smoking any more cigarettes and getting right back to quitting. I was so upset that I had to start over but I knew I'd be even more upset if I threw away 10 days of progress and trigger-training and coping strategies. Wouldn't be where I am today if I decided to *not waste my money*... and I bought two packs. Two! And I smoked not one, but four or five of them (I can't remember). Chain smoked them. Felt so sick. I was ready to give up completely. Dizzy and nauseous and sickened by the taste after 10 days quit I knew I had to put my foot down, so I did.

Left them in the basement for my dad who smokes. He doesn't like them because they're menthols / 100's, he rolls his own. But he smokes one here or there when he forgets to roll one, needs to get new tobacco, or whatever.

One of those packs I saw today when I went to take a shower, still unwrapped. I laughed and felt grateful I didn't ever open them.  Now I think I have my sticky quit, 2+ months since that awful day. :)

This is my inspiration to you. Get rid of them! Keep your quit! You will be so happy you did. Don't let a moment where it "feels like day one" become day one. It only forces you to start over, just to get to where you are right now. It's day one again for you, but if you make the choice to throw those life ruiners away you'll have a lot less nicotine to cleanse yourself of and plenty of support here.

• sgraye likes this

cloud_icon_by_plasticumbrella-d36zh7o.gi

“Some lose all mind and become soul; insane.
  Some lose all soul and become mind; intellectual.
        Some lose both and become accepted.”
                     ― Charles Bukowski

588f4b6552.png

#13 MissyCat

MissyCat

2014 Avenger

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,038 posts
  • quitdate:
    2014-10-21
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 26 January 2017 - 07:20 PM

Livingrainbows? Please check in....
Carol
A 2014 Avenger
Smoke free since October 21, 2014

ddl449.jpg

1413806400_25_1_USD_8_default.png

#14 Frank

Frank

As good as it gets.!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,314 posts
  • LocationCalifornia USA

Posted 27 January 2017 - 04:46 PM

Livingrainbows? Please check in....

He could be smoking the pack plus many more by now.  Have you met many that would buy  a pack smoke one and stay quit after that?  I am still to meet one..

Nov 6, 2011 I decided " I had enough with this sh*t "

I quit because I just got tired of the life under a rock, dark and with not enough air to breathe waiting for the day to get crushed!

Alcohol to a quit is like Kryptonite to Superman

Stop, Think and then React. Not React,Stop and then Think

Practice does not make it perfect, makes it permanent. Practice the right things!

Quitting is by far the best decision for the rest of your life.

If a Doctor gives you 6 months to live, would you start living after the first three? Quit now!

" I am a puff away form a pack a day"

Once you stop puffing or having Nicotine in any form, then and only then your symptoms will stop.

I quit with a frozen turkey. Once I felt comfortable with my quit,  I ate it.

Life is such a good teacher, that if you don't learn the lesson it will repeat it to you.

#15 MissyCat

MissyCat

2014 Avenger

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,038 posts
  • quitdate:
    2014-10-21
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 27 January 2017 - 08:07 PM

He could be smoking the pack plus many more by now.  Have you met many that would buy  a pack smoke one and stay quit after that?  I am still to meet one..

Sad but true Frank....
Carol
A 2014 Avenger
Smoke free since October 21, 2014

ddl449.jpg

1413806400_25_1_USD_8_default.png

#16 cbdave

cbdave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • quitdate:
    2015-10-03
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 28 January 2017 - 10:25 AM

Sad but true Frank....

I resemble that comment..... Up to 15 months ago!
Wish I could trap that something and put it in a bottle.
I'd give it away for free!

C
  • MissyCat and mei like this
1443861000_20_1_USD_20_default.png
Proud 2015 BadAshes

If you have just one you will be right back where you started, and where you started was desperately wishing you were where you are right now. —Marvitta

LIVE like someone left the gate open - unknown

#17 Tequila Mockingbird

Tequila Mockingbird

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-11-30
  • LocationToronto

Posted 30 January 2017 - 01:10 PM

soak 'em down or out the car window (litter gods will forgive you if just once) - do it NOW - I've done this too many times and spent $10 for 1 smoke ..... justifiable at the time of course :) .... that one smoke is ALWAYS justifiable and ALWAYS will be with an addict .... YOU JUST CAN'T ACT .... EVER! - you can do it!

#18 green meenie

green meenie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-01-29

Posted 01 February 2017 - 05:54 PM

Hummm ..... doesn't look promising that the OP has not chimed in again on this :(

And, I'm a little ticked off myself in that my smoke-free banner thingy is suddenly telling me I smoked my last cig. 10 hours ago??? I'm at day 4 and haven't faltered yet!  (stupid banner; it was working fine the first couple of days).

1485676801_25_1_USD_13_whitesec.png

#19 nomoreholidays

nomoreholidays

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-01-01

Posted 23 February 2017 - 03:43 PM

Thought my very first post is in the perfect thread. It relates to my handle.  I started smoking in 1980. Since then, I've "quit" probably close to a hundred times, like many others. Sometimes it was a few months, sometimes a few weeks, sometimes just a couple of days. Something always tripped me up. Then in 2008, at the ripe age of 48, I'm going to be a dad. Time to really stop, right?

Well, I'd quit until....I went to the bar!  "Well, I'm only smoking when I'm at the bar. I'm still cutting back."  Well, what to do with those cigarettes?  Can't throw them away, that's wasting a lot of money. I'll just hang on to them till the next bar stop.

Then it would be smoking one on the way to work, and the way home. Mind you, I'm "hiding" smoking from mom (who eventually is now an "ex"). So now I'm putting on a jacket when I smoke, that I take off when I go in to work, while taking a sink bath, breath mints, etc. because I don't want anyone to think I smoke.

Now I got all kinds of laundry that needs done to hide I was smoking. Luckily, the bar excuse works here, because it's just from being in the bar I smell like smoke. 

Extra laundry. Gum and mints. Car deodorizers. And of course, the cigs themselves, at the bar (oh, you know, the occasional "extra" couple here and there).  All of these shenanigans to hide my smoking. And most of all, them cigs still left over. Can't throw them away, they cost money.

What really cost was all the extra stuff I bought, the extra time hiding the habit, but most of all, being in a continual withdrawal cycle. I perpetually felt like crap. So finally, I said enough. I will quit.  And then, the bar. And I bummed one. Then another. AFter bumming a number of cigs, I felt guilty, and bought a pack once again. Now I don't even want that around, because I know where it leads. So I threw them out. Over and over again. Then I had the guilt of the money I wasted buying a pack of smokes, having a couple, and regretting the start cycle......again. 

So then I made it through a night out, without bumming or buying any. Lo and behold, something else popped up, that "stressed me out" so much, dang it, I have to have that cig!  I had gone 7 months, dealt with a relationship breakup, financial problems, surgery, disability.  Yet one thing that didn't have anything to do with me, and I was right back on that cycle. Buy, guilt, throw away, guilt.

Finally, I realized, maybe, just maybe, I ought to eliminate the biggest trigger of them all....the bar. No more rationalizations or guilt. No more, "I only go out once every two weeks". I just quit going to the bar. I had my last cigarette New Years Eve just past. 

No more cheating, no more "one or two isn't going to hurt". One or two eventually puts you right back where you were. There is no holiday for smoking. You reset right where you were. I chose to go through withdrawal one more time. What I'm most proud about is, I no longer have to hide my smoking. From my child. From co-workers. From family, friends. I have chosen to put all the effort I put into HIDING my smoking, into NOT SMOKING.

And the first step was.....throwing out those 17 remaining cigs from that $8.27 pack of Marlboros. 

"NO MORE HOLIDAYS"

#20 Jillar

Jillar

Nothing Worthwhile Comes Easily

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,131 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-05-29
  • LocationIf not here, there

Posted 23 February 2017 - 04:23 PM

Welcome nomoreholidays and congratulations on having almost two months quit already. Please start a thread on the main board where more people will see it and would love to welcome you as well. These sub forums don't get as many views. You're going to love it here, lots of support. In fact I'm sure I wouldn't be this far along without this place and the people here :)

image.png?base_img=5&size=0&date_yr=2016

5vbuwn.jpg
Things began to get better when I realized I would remain quit even if things never got any better.

Christian99 15 Years
QuitWe say here that it is better to be a nonsmoker with the occasional desire to smoke than a smoker with the constant desire to quit. Marciem
Always keep in mind, you are not going through this because you quit...you are going through this because you smoked. Nancy
Being successful doesn't mean that you'll never GET to smoke again. It means that you'll never HAVE to smoke again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users