Photo

dodging cravings involving drinking that first cup of coffee...?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 jukebox

jukebox

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-03-26
  • LocationPauls Valley, Oklahoma

Posted 11 January 2017 - 08:58 PM

again, out of the blue today  I wanted a cig really bad with my coffee. I later dismantled why I probably felt such a craving because I was doing a lot of house chores before I had my coffee and I was grumpy. anyone know how to disassociate cigarettes and coffee in the morning.?

1490565601_40_1_USD_6_whitesec.png

#2 Nancy.

Nancy.

Keeperbie

• Moderators
  • 11,860 posts
  • quitdate:
    2013-07-07
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 11 January 2017 - 08:59 PM

Perhaps change the place where you drink your coffee?  Or change to tea for awhile?

Nancy

event.png

image.png?base_img=1&size=0&date_yr=2013

N.O.P.E. soldier_girl.gif
The only people who have craves forever are people that don't quit smoking ~ Eric
One puff is too much and 1000 cartons are not enough. ~ Hal

#3 avian3

avian3

Mellow Yellow

• Administrators
  • 14,395 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 11 January 2017 - 09:03 PM

I switched to green tea for the first couple of months until I realized I really didn't like it and went back to coffee. By that time, I no longer had an urge to smoke any more with coffee than any other time. My urges were the worst after I ate dinner or ate anything.

#4 Napsalot24-7

Napsalot24-7

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,035 posts
  • quitdate:
    2015-10-10
  • LocationKaneohe, HI

Posted 11 January 2017 - 09:03 PM

Stay strong, and maybe switch to tea?

This, too, shall pass!

#5 0zone

0zone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-01-01
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 11 January 2017 - 09:06 PM

The first thing I did on the morning of my quit was make a cup of coffee and sit in a different spot outside with it. I've managed to move back to where I used to smoke and drink coffee and I don't really think about smoking any more when I drink it.

I wouldn't avoid coffee. Face it head on and be strong, keep drinking it and you'll soon forget all about that poisonous little sidekick who used to join you for a cuppa.

image.png?base_img=5&size=0&date_yr=2017         

30ksjlf.jpg

"Can blindly continued fear-induced regurgitated life-denying tradition be overcome?" - Alanis Morissette

#6 Jillar

Jillar

Nothing Worthwhile Comes Easily

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,194 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-05-29
  • LocationI'm in a box, I can't get out! 😡😱😡

Posted 11 January 2017 - 09:11 PM

Maybe instead of doing chores BEFORE your coffee. Have your coffee first thing after you wake up.

• jukebox likes this

image.png?base_img=5&size=0&date_yr=2016

5vbuwn.jpg
Things began to get better when I realized I would remain quit even if things never got any better.

Christian99 15 Years
QuitWe say here that it is better to be a nonsmoker with the occasional desire to smoke than a smoker with the constant desire to quit. Marciem
Always keep in mind, you are not going through this because you quit...you are going through this because you smoked. Nancy
Being successful doesn't mean that you'll never GET to smoke again. It means that you'll never HAVE to smoke again.

#7 Gina36

Gina36

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 953 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-09-29
  • LocationCovington, Texas

I waited a little while to have my first cup of coffee after quitting, when I was ready I just went ahead and drank my first cup right where I use to sit, and I just instead of smoking, I inhaled the nice fresh air! It feels good to breath in clean air and not a load of poison contaminated smog. before I knew it I was able to enjoy my coffee with out even thinking of a stupid sickarette!

Best thing is to always ALWAYS remain positive

Positive thoughts make for positive actions.

1475168400_20_1_USD_6_dark.png

I am proud to be a 2016 Butt Kicker!!!

1zzrf54.jpg

#8 onthemark

onthemark

2015 Bad Ash

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,257 posts
  • quitdate:
    2015-07-14
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

I instead of a coffee and cigarette in the morning I did coffee and qsmb.
Can do coffee and newspaper or some other activity so your mind is occupied.

I wouldn't give up my coffee for anything!

It passed.
  • Jillar likes this
b0b59c7304.png  

Proudly smoke-free since July 14, 2015

#9 Lust4Life

Lust4Life

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 947 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-09-26
  • LocationSoutheast USA

Posted 11 January 2017 - 09:12 PM

If it won't freeze your insides--try iced coffee. I found it to be a totally different experience vs hot coffee. Of course, I was doing this in the fall, not smack dab in the middle of winter. Give it a whirl & see. Now I'm back to hot coffee & doing fine!
  • garrym likes this
1474880400_20_1_USD_7_default.png

#10 Laura101

Laura101

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-01-28
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 11 January 2017 - 09:12 PM

I actually started chewing a piece of cinnamon gum with my coffee when I first quit smoking.  For me it helped change my smoking association with coffee.  Now every here and there I'll have a piece of gum with coffee because I like the contrasting tastes together :grin: .

#11 Jillar

Jillar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,194 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-05-29

Posted 11 January 2017 - 09:15 PM

Oh and don't forget you can always have an air cigarette with your coffee :) I know I preach about those A LOT, but it REALLY worked great for me!

• jukebox and andyc941 like this

5vbuwn.jpg
Things began to get better when I realized I would remain quit even if things never got any better.

Christian99 15 Years
QuitWe say here that it is better to be a nonsmoker with the occasional desire to smoke than a smoker with the constant desire to quit. Marciem
Always keep in mind, you are not going through this because you quit...you are going through this because you smoked. Nancy
Being successful doesn't mean that you'll never GET to smoke again. It means that you'll never HAVE to smoke again.

#12 d2e8b8

d2e8b8

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,171 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-10-17
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 11 January 2017 - 09:30 PM

At 2 months quit, doubt coffee is the trigger assuming you've been drinking it every day and therefore killed that association by now.  

There must be some other trigger that came into play.  Maybe it was the grumpiness as you pointed out or something else that is yet to be detected. Maybe something specific happened while doing the chores that caused a smoke trigger to activate - finding something unexpected, some emotional trigger ...

#13 jukebox

jukebox

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-03-26
  • LocationPauls Valley, Oklahoma

Posted 11 January 2017 - 09:33 PM

well thanks everyone...I guess I just need to be more careful in the mornings...

• Jillar likes this

1490565601_40_1_USD_6_whitesec.png

#14 Smokefreetoday

Smokefreetoday

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,282 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-07-10
  • LocationCanada

Posted 11 January 2017 - 09:45 PM

Coffee first then Chores :)  Ohh ya and smoking is just not an option!  jukebox, You are doing most excellent!

• jukebox and Jillar like this

#15 avian3

avian3

Mellow Yellow

• Administrators
  • 14,395 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 09:56 PM

Oh and don't forget you can always have an air cigarette with your coffee :) I know I preach about those A LOT, but it REALLY worked great for me!

Just curious, how long before you went without the air cig?

#16 Jillar

Jillar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,194 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-05-29

Posted 11 January 2017 - 10:08 PM

Just curious, how long before you went without the air cig?

It was a solid two months or so avian of pretty regularly using air cigs, I probably went through a few cartons of them hee, hee :)  and then it was only when a bad crave hit

• avian3 and 0zone like this

5vbuwn.jpg

Christian99 15 Years

#17 avian3

avian3

Mellow Yellow

• Administrators
  • 14,395 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 10:15 PM

It was a solid two months or so avian of pretty regularly using air cigs, I probably went through a few cartons of them hee, hee :)  and then it was only when a bad crave hit

I never pretended I had a cigarette, but the first few weeks when I would get an urge I would inhale deeply, as if I were taking a drag off of a cigarette,  It took me almost a year before I stopped plopping my butt down in the chair on the patio and reaching for my cigs on the table next to me. I wouldn't have physical cravings, it was just the act of making that movement for so many years that was hard to break.

#18 onthemark

onthemark

2015 Bad Ash

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,257 posts
  • quitdate:
    2015-07-14
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 11 January 2017 - 10:16 PM

I couldn't have coffee this morning because I needed to go for a fasting blood test. So I boiled some water and
imagined to be drinking tea. It actually helped. I really concentrated on imagining it to be tea. Coffee is too dear and precious and it wouldn't have worked
for coffee.

Then I made a cup of tea and put it in my car for first takings. Then after the test I drove
to Starbucks and got my double espresso machiatyo. Then I felt like a human being.

The air cigs never worked for me. I used to imagine sometimes I was taking a hit from a bong though...
  • avian3, MissyCat and Jillar like this
b0b59c7304.png  

Proudly smoke-free since July 14, 2015

#19 Jillar

Jillar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,194 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-05-29

Posted 11 January 2017 - 10:21 PM

Wow, that's a long time! I don't know if this had anything to do with what you had but when I decided I was ready to quit I smoked my last carton of cigs in places I didn't normally use to smoke. It seems to have worked pretty good for me :)
  • avian3 likes this

5vbuwn.jpg

Christian99 15 Years

#20 Jillar

Jillar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,194 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-05-29

Posted 11 January 2017 - 10:25 PM

I used to imagine sometimes I was taking a hit from a bong though...

The air bong?! Lol 😁😁😁😁😁
  • MissyCat, onthemark and 0zone like this

5vbuwn.jpg

Christian99 15 Years

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users