Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 676 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-11-09
  • LocationUK

Posted 10 January 2017 - 10:06 PM

Hi, I would like to give a little bit of advice and a few facts to our younger members. I am 58 yeas old and I smoked for 42 years. 

I used to be a beauty queen, I am not bragging, I just had the sort of features that responded well to make up, I suppose I was a good blank canvas. I wasn't skinny, I was curvy.

What I want to say is PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, stop smoking.

My skin was good, now I have the smokers lines around my mouth, I think I read somewhere these are more prominent in women, obviously caused by pursing my lips as I sucked away on those little white evil sticks of horrendousness. I have to be very careful when applying make up because it settles into the wrinkles and I end up looking like I have a moustache.

I have very deep frown lines between my eyebrows that I think have come from smoking, and also deep bags under my eyes with little yellow white pockets of fat that are common to smokers.

My teeth started to suffer in my 30's, In my teens and twenties I had perfect naturally very white teeth, by my mid 30's I had had all my top teeth out and I now have a denture, I only have 10 teeth on my bottom jaw and they are discoloured, but my dentist is determined I will keep them.

My skin colour took on that yellowy colour, that made me look like I needed a good wash, I hasten to add I am a very clean person.

I have premature age spots on my hands but the skin is crepey (sorry re spelling!) I have recently read that the skin on all your body is affected by smoking, strangely it causes under arm wobbly fat, commonly known in England as Bingo Wings! The skin on my chest looks stretched.

In my 30's I had a boob job, I had them made smaller as they were so big they were affecting my back and deportment. I had the operation in the July and one of them didn't heal until the following February I had an open wound under my breast measuring 4 inches x 2 inches, that was definitely caused by smoking, breast tissue is very very anti smoking, this summer 2016, I got a sebaceous cyst under one boob, I had it healing and re opening for 2 months, eventually I was given mega doses of antibiotics and I developed MRSA so this meant many hospital visits

There is so much more I could write, and I know smoking causes horrific deadly diseases, and I am talking about vanity, but if my little story helps in any way a young person quit I will feel my stupidity of smoking may not have been in vain.

So come on Girls and Boys

STOP SMOKING WHILE YOU ARE STILL BEAUTIFUL BRIGHT YOUNG THINGS.   

• avian3, Frank, kinkash and 15 others like this

5vbuwn.jpgimage.png?base_img=1&size=1&date_yr=2016

event.png

#2 0zone

0zone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-01-01
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 10 January 2017 - 11:26 PM

Wow, thanks for opening up Diane. What a powerful message. Hopefully it will deter not only the youngsters but those entering their 30's to quit. I read somewhere that your skin starts to lose elasticity as soon as you hit 30, smoking would definitely not help this case.

I started to notice bags forming (festoons) under my eyes and I just know that smoking played a huge part in their arrival and it contributed to one of the many reasons I quit.

Again, awesome post, you're beautiful no matter what!

• onthemark, Jillar and Dianecz like this

image.png?base_img=5&size=0&date_yr=2017         

30ksjlf.jpg

"Can blindly continued fear-induced regurgitated life-denying tradition be overcome?" - Alanis Morissette

#3 Jenboo07

Jenboo07

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-01-02
  • LocationCanada

Posted 10 January 2017 - 11:36 PM

Sometimes the brutal honesty is what encourages the quit to keep strong. You are a beautiful woman (even though I have never met you in person, just from the feelings and aura that surround your words) but truth be told smoking causes so much damage. Thank you for sharing this. I was starting to see a lot of damage beginning to happen to my teeth and that was a big visual in helping push me to quit. I even feel like 30 was late to quit. Shoulda coulda woulda... if I really had it my way, I wouldn't have even started with the first cig.
Thanks again for sharing this personal experience of the physical affects of what smoking can result in. Xo
  • onthemark and Dianecz like this
1483333200_12_1_USD_11_dark.png

#4 Dianecz

Dianecz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 676 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-11-09
  • LocationUK

Posted 10 January 2017 - 11:37 PM

Thanks for that Ozone, My face has changed colour and the tone is starting to look normal, I don't have that unwashed look any more, the bags under my eyes seem to be less although the little fatty spots are still there, and the skin on my hands looks better than before, so that is a positive to stopping smoking even at my age, but, as they say, prevention is better than cure. If I could change one thing about my life it would be never to have lit that first cigarette under the disco ball in the 1970's.

• MissyCat and Jenboo07 like this

5vbuwn.jpgimage.png?base_img=1&size=1&date_yr=2016

event.png

#5 darlene12

darlene12

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 05:15 AM

Powerful read.. I too wish I had never had that first cigarette.. It was cool in the 60's, so we thought. I like you was a lot better looking then. and I can tell a huge difference in my skin and my high school friends who did not smoke.

• Dianecz likes this

#6 krazykittygirl

krazykittygirl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-08-08

Posted 11 January 2017 - 12:37 PM

Great post Diane. Although I'm not young, I enjoyed reading. Your honesty is powerful and refreshing. You're a beautiful person inside and out and have been such an asset to the board. I can tell you are a truly caring person. Congrats on your quit. Keep up the good work!!
  • Jillar and Electrick2 like this

1470637801_25_1_USD_6_pinksec.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users