• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-10-18
  • LocationCanada

Posted 19 October 2016 - 12:24 AM

Hello All,

Today is my first day off the smokes and I'm using patches. I quit for 8 months earlier this year with the patch but only wore them for about a month. Different people have suggested that it may be in my best interest to stay on the patch for several months instead of a few weeks.

Any thoughts about that?

I will stay on the patch as long as it takes, I would much rather use NRT for 6 months and stay quit then have a relapse because I stopped the patch too soon.

Is there any medical research about this?

Cheers,

Amy

• Smokefreetoday likes this

1476743400_25_1_USD_15_dark.png

#2 happycat

happycat

N.O.P.E

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,171 posts
  • quitdate:
    2014-12-28

Posted 19 October 2016 - 12:52 AM

Congrats on quitting and welcome to the board.:) There is a lot of research out there if you look. Longer term patch use than what is labeled on the package is supported in most cases by the FDA.  Though you won't be dealing with the health hazards associated with tobacco smoke, nicotine still has effects on the heart. You should speak to your doctor to see if longer term use is right for you.

• Smokefreetoday and ames_ktown like this

event.png

When you feel like giving up, remember why you held on so long in the first place. ~ Anonymous ~

#3 ames_ktown

ames_ktown

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-10-18
  • LocationCanada

Posted 19 October 2016 - 12:57 AM

Congrats on quitting and welcome to the board. :) There is a lot of research out there if you look. Longer term patch use than what is labeled on the package is supported in most cases by the FDA.  Though you won't be dealing with the health hazards associated with tobacco smoke, nicotine still has effects on the heart. You should speak to your doctor to see if longer term use is right for you.

Thanks, I will look into it. I am very healthy to spite my smoking history and am reticent to talk to my MD as there are some insurance issues involved.

I can't see myself staying on NRT for a year but a couple of people have said go for at least 4 months.

1476743400_25_1_USD_15_dark.png

#4 happycat

happycat

N.O.P.E

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,171 posts
  • quitdate:
    2014-12-28

Posted 19 October 2016 - 01:10 AM

I see you're Canadian like my lovely D-I-L. :) Your health agency supports the same thing with caution for those with heart problems.

http://www.hc-sc.gc....rps/aid-eng.php

If you can't talk to a doctor, talk to a pharmacist.

Again, welcome aboard :) Stick around and take advantage of the links in the newbie package (sticky on the main quit smoking forum) There's great support here and we are always thrilled to have new  people join our ranks. Glad you found us!

• Lynn L and Smokefreetoday like this

event.png

When you feel like giving up, remember why you held on so long in the first place. ~ Anonymous ~

#5 FloridaPam

FloridaPam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 492 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-04-27

Posted 28 October 2016 - 09:45 PM

I'm sorry I just saw this...

Actually, our FDA has actually ok'd use beyond 10 weeks now for patches if the user needs that time.  

Here is a bit of what I've read - and then my take on things.  When we smoke our body makes a lot of additional dopamine receptors (like, millions) for nicotine to attach to.  When we stop smoking, over time (usually 3 to 4 months), those extra receptors essentially die out and we are down to our original pre-smoking amount of receptors.  Here's the amazing thing:  They are finding that the only nicotine that supports the maintenance of these additional receptors is tobacco-based nicotine!  NRTs, vape, none of those nicotine sources support them.  So even though you are getting your nicotine on the patch - these additional receptors are dying off as if you stopped smoking.  That's pretty amazing.  These receptors - when denied their nicotine - are the ones that will SCREAM for it when you quit.  So the fewer of them in your brain when you finally go cold turkey, the better from a crave standpoint.  

I can tell you that I did not have massive craves whatsoever when I came off the patch.  None.  Now, all the other withdrawal symptoms were waiting for me.  But that "all I can think of every waking moment" crave fest in the first couple of days?  Never had it.  My theory is that since I wore the patch for 3 months - by the time I went off them all the additional receptors were gone. And that is why I think they want us on NRTs and Chantix for at least 3 months.

Oh, by the way, they are finding that tapering down to patch 2 and 3 does nothing for the quitter.  They would be just as well going the whole time at 21mg (or wherever they started) and then just stop.  I think I agree with that.  I found the tapering part to be the hardest part of the process.

Anyway.  Just my two cents.

• marciem likes this

#6 EsmeW

EsmeW

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-06-05
  • LocationUSA

Posted 28 February 2017 - 01:51 AM

I think your body is always the best indicator. I have been on the patch since June (not my first time), and I have problems and heightened cravings whenever I forget to put on a new patch. 

That said, some people transition off the patch relatively easily.  If your body told you that you're fine, you're probably fine. 

image.png?base_img=4&size=0&date_yr=2016

#7 Dogwoman29

Dogwoman29

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • quitdate:
    2010-01-01
  • LocationRochester NH

Posted 12 March 2017 - 11:20 AM

First congrats on your quit and I am heading toward 7 years quit now. I lost a few quits at first and I used the patch with gum backup for ex-stream emergency's. Each quit is unique and so what works for one works  might not for another. I will say what I learned personally with my quit.  I am weak lol no way could I do cold turkey as I was so wacked quitting lol. In my opinion I do not consider a person quit in full till they are off of any Nicotine.Fact is that is what we are addicted to. The patch does help tons and it changes your habits of actually lighting up and smoking etc. It does help slowly cut down your nic till you can walk away and be free!! Trouble is they do not warn you of stepping down and how you get super craves all over again each time. At least I did. 

First quit I did the 3 to 4 months step by step...lasted 6 months,,. This last and final quit <trust me> I did it faster  only 5 weeks. Quitting is such a mind game and I used to talk to myself all the time. I ate about 500 tootsie pops too. Its amazing I have teeth hahah. Do what ever it takes not to smoke. I dont care if its eating cake or  dancing. I got more active and that super helped. I also drank alcohol while I quit which is bad for most but my anxiety went through the roof so a few wines at the end of a day helped me alot. Biking and walking helped and keeping super busy. Your first year or so you go through many changes once off Nic. Dont ever think you can have just one or one puff. You will ALWAYS BE a puff away from a pack a day!!!!! Once you understand this and make your quit number one in your life it gets better. I promise you  its the best thing you will ever do for yourself and loved ones. 

Yeah I used to be 98 pounds and now Im 115. I look and feel better too. I used to be a size 3 now Im a 7  so what.  Honest there were times I thought about it then I thought of day 3 and said I will never ever feel like that again!! When you get in a situation that makes you think about smoking, change it fast. Do what ever you need to not smoke. No more bargains, no just maby , No forever.  I was lucky to have a great quit buddy that I could run too and scream and cry when need lol. We still chat to this day! I actually have many friend that were in the chat and we all helped each other.  Join a support group or 6   it helps to know your not the only one feeling that way while quitting. Good luck  YOU CAN DO THIS!!!

• Lynn L, green meenie and EmmaB like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users