Photo

Why is cutting patches into smaller pieces not recommended?

cutting patches smaller pieces not recommended

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Tim Bo

Tim Bo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 August 2015 - 06:38 PM

Hello, 

I hope someone can help me.  I have been on the patch for about a year now.  Ive dropped all the way down to the 7mg patches; but in order to drop down even further without quitting completely....I now cut the patches into smaller and smaller squares and where them for up to 4 days.

Im trying to diminish my brains addiction to as little nicotine as possible before I quit totally.

I know it is not recommended to do this...but i cant find any sites that explain WHY?  

Does anyone actually know the reasons why cutting into smaller pieces and wearing for longer than 24 hours is not recommended? 

#2 happycat

happycat

N.O.P.E

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,205 posts
  • quitdate:
    2014-12-28

Posted 25 August 2015 - 06:55 PM

The 24 hour thing I can probably answer. It's because the dose available from the patch decreases as its absorbed through the skin. After it's intended 24 hour use, intended dosages may not be maintained. Secondly, prolonged contact in the same place can irritate the skin. Taking them off and reapplying the next one in another place helps minimize that.  

As for cutting, I can only assume it's because of the way they are made and the nicotine impregnated in the patch. Cutting may alter the way the nicotine is released so that you are no longer getting a controlled dose. To be sure, you might want to ask your pharmacist.  

• Tim Bo likes this

event.png

When you feel like giving up, remember why you held on so long in the first place. ~ Anonymous ~

#3 Lucy1

Lucy1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 744 posts
  • quitdate:
    2001-01-15
  • LocationPacific Northwest

Posted 25 August 2015 - 07:28 PM

Pure nicotine is highly unstable so if you cut the patch you're 'undoing' the seal that keeps it from going anywhere other than into your skin.  There is a possibility / probability that the nicotine will 'leak' out the cut side & evaporate and you won't be getting the dosage you think you are -- it'll be less and possibly set you up for relapse for that reason.

That's what the MD / pulmonary surgeon / smoking cessation group leader told me.

Congratulations on being smoke free!  Now kick the nicotine connection to the curb.  You can do it.

• daveinermo and Tim Bo like this

#4 MissyCat

MissyCat

2014 Avenger

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,025 posts
  • quitdate:
    2014-10-21
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 25 August 2015 - 10:56 PM

Hi Tim and welcome to QSMB! I remember cutting a few patches on one of my many quits.

I hope you will hang out with us until you are ready. Education a on nicotine addiction is key to a successful quit. There is much to read and do right here at QSMB. Stay close, read read, read.

The support here is amazing!
  • MissingMichael likes this
Carol
A 2014 Avenger
Smoke free since October 21, 2014

ddl449.jpg

1413806400_25_1_USD_8_default.png

#5 Reisen

Reisen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  • quitdate:
    2014-09-25
  • LocationGermany

Posted 26 August 2015 - 04:57 AM

I hope someone can help me.  I have been on the patch for about a year now.  Ive dropped all the way down to the 7mg patches; but in order to drop down even further without quitting completely....I now cut the patches into smaller and smaller squares and where them for up to 4 days.

A friend of mine was using a very similar method, he also cut the patches into smaller and smaller size.

Wearing them for more than 24h is not recommended for two reasons:

1. The nicotine dispersed in the active part of the patch is used up. wearing the patch for more than 24h is basically like wearing a band-aid, it's sticky, but it has no nicotine (or very little thereof) in there. Even though there is some residual nicotine left in the patch when you take it off, it won't permeate into your skin, because the concentration level is too low (unless the concentration is above isotonic, the skin will repel most chemicals - this is why some creams will soak into the skin like moisturizer ointment, while others will stay outside if it, like sunscreen).

2. Hygiene. Unless you're using pre-incection swabs before you put on a patch, you're gluing bacteria, a few viruses and the odd fungal spore to your skin. A widened pore, a slightly more widened hair follicle, and you can get all kinds of funny infections.

Whether you can cut the patch into smaller parts or not, depends on the patches.
There are basically two kinds of patches:

1. The ones that kinda work similar to a band-aid. They have a section in the center with the nicotine dispersed in some sort of solution, and a sticky surface around it, which sticks the patch yo your skin.
He're how they look like:
What-Nicotine-Patch-Allergies-Are-and-Ho

These cannot be cut into smaller sizes. The part with the nicotine might be sticky as well, but they pretty much only work when the nicotine containing part is applied directly to the skin, without air coming in from the side.
otherwise, they will just dry out quite quickly. So while a patch might be meant to be worn for 24h, it'll dry out in just three hours.

Here's another one:
Nicotinell-Lozenge_Nicotinell-Gum_Nicoti
You can clearly see the gauze section with the active ingredients in the center part, and a thinner, sticky part around it.

2. The ones that are already cut-outs of a larger sheet. These have the nicotine dispersed into the gel-like sticky part of the patch.
Here's what one of them looks like:
Nicotine-Patch-May-Help-Memory-in-Older-
They don't have to be translucent, mind you.

Anyway, these can be cut into smaller size, because the nicotine is evenly dispersed into the gel. The way a nicotine dose is selected, is simply by selecting a larger or smaller surface area the gel touches the skin.

Im trying to diminish my brains addiction to as little nicotine as possible before I quit totally.

Yep, that's exactly what a friend of mine did. He cut off a quarter of the patch before removing the protective plastic that sticks to the gel. He kept the cut-off parts for when he was at a very small dose.

I know it is not recommended to do this...but i cant find any sites that explain WHY?

Because people usually don't know there are different types of patches, ones that can be cut, and other that cannot. It's not recommended, because most people have trouble understanding which patches can be cut or not.
Also, it's making the market bigger for nicotine patch manufacturers. It's easier to tell people not to cut them and sell sets of smaller, pre-cut patches and earn some extra money, than explain to them how to cut them, etc.

Does anyone actually know the reasons why cutting into smaller pieces and wearing for longer than 24 hours is not recommended?

The reason for cutting them: because there are two types and people usually don't know which can and which cannot be cut.
The reason for not wearing them over 24h: because the patches usually don't have more nicotine to disperse into the skin, but also, it's like wearing an old, dirty band-aid, so for hygienic reasons alone, the patch shouldn't be worn for more than 24h.

• Edna_Clouds likes this

image.png?base_img=5&size=0&date_yr=2014
(My currency is actually Euros, not Dollars)
Counter since last cigarette with seconds resolution
(Opens external site with the counter)
48ea6fef12.png

#6 MissingMichael

MissingMichael

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,673 posts
  • quitdate:
    2014-07-23
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 29 August 2015 - 06:09 PM

Hi! When I first quit I used the patch and i also cut mine but after a few cuts I thought.....maybe I really don't need these, its just a mental thing and it was true. I just stopped and I actually did not feel any different. Maybe give it a try?

47f2a853-bffd-400c-820c-d269dbb72d9d_zps

If you want what we have, do what we do

If you never say no, what is your "yes" worth?

"Silence.....

is the loudest last word." 

MissingMichael

#7 free2me

free2me

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • quitdate:
    2015-11-19
  • LocationUSA

Posted 22 November 2015 - 02:23 PM

I don't quite understand the difference between the first one and the third one you showed....could you explain a little more in detail.  This is only my third day and need all the help I can get :smile:

#8 Captain5394

Captain5394

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 05:21 AM

I have been using the 21mg patch for 30 days now. At 21 days, I started to cut a bit off the patch, about an 1/8 off the the 21st day and by the 30th day about 1/5th off. I have had no issues. I will continue to cut more off for the next few days until I run out of 21 mg and the I will buy the 14 mg. I will run with that for a few weeks then start cutting off 1/5th of the 14mg for several days, maybe weeks before dropping to the 7 mg. I have smoked for 32 years and have quite a few times ( max 6 months).
I don't believe those that say if you cut the patch, you will interrupt the membrane and get 18 mg right away vs. a slow release throughout the day. I don't notice a big rush of nicotine when I first put it on and it certainly lasts throughout the day. I do take it off at bedtime. Regardless, at the end of the day, I'm still a non smoker. Best of luck to you. Happy breathing.

#9 Puggie

Puggie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 June 2016 - 11:28 AM

Hello, 

Like most biological effects, nicotine dosage and response is not linear. I guess at some point when the patches are sufficiently small the effect would equal zero.

#10 buonissima

buonissima

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 December 2016 - 08:41 PM

Please dont use the patch. Theyre so dangerous, no one can tell you how absorbent your skin is or what they put in them to keep you addicted. They only prolong the process, please quit cold turkey. Congratulations on not smoking cigarettes. From an experienced quitter xx

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users