• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 LesQuit

LesQuit

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 12:18 PM

I've smoked for around 20 years and smoke between 10-15 a day generally which can go up to 2 boxes on a weekend.

I've tried hypnotherapy, e-cigs, rolling tobacco and now I'm on day 18 of Chantix. 

I haven't really experienced any side effects other than feeling really thirsty and the odd strange dream nor have I felt the need to smoke less.

Not sure what to do next and was wondering if anyone has any advice?

• Bassman likes this

#2 Bassman

Bassman

Don't fear quitting, fear not quitting...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,916 posts
  • quitdate:
    2014-01-04
  • LocationAtlanta Georgia, USA...

Posted 01 June 2015 - 01:00 PM

Welcome Lesquit........Need to give it more than 18 days Lesquit.....Chantix kicked in for me around end of week 4....That and my mindset to quit smoking.

I felt no difference on the Chantix till the end of fourth week and it started making me feel a less need to smoke. Within 4 days I was askingsmyself why was I smoking. Both the Chantix and my willingness to quit resulted in my last cigarette smoked by the end of the 5th week....and I haven't had a puff yet......

Better yet, just stop smoking and stay with us here for support posting often and QSMB can help you through it.

You may want to go to the Quit Smoking Main Board and post an introduction there....You will get more replies as it is the main posting forum........Chantix also had very little side effects for me...only slightly upset stomach so I had to eat first before taking the pill......Bassman
  • LesQuit and Smurf like this

<p>image.png?base_img=3&size=0&date_yr=2014

Link to all my nosmoking songs for QSMB:
http://www.youtube.c...=pathagawarts54
+2j3342d.jpg

I think I can - I know I can - I did
You're a post away to stay smoke free today.....
Quitting may not always easy, but it's always right...stay quit......
I gave myself the gift of quitting, I will not take that gift away from myself.......
My time of suffering is over, its the addictions time to suffer.......

#3 MissyCat

MissyCat

2014 Avenger

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,471 posts
  • quitdate:
    2014-10-21
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 01 June 2015 - 07:39 PM

Welcome Lessquit. I am a cold turkey gal so gave no input regarding Chantix.
I hope you will hang out with us, read and post often. There is much to read and do here. Education is key to a successful quit. You will find the support here amazing.
  • LesQuit likes this
Carol
A 2014 Avenger
Smoke free since October 21, 2014

ddl449.jpg

1413921600_25_1_USD_8_default.png

#4 LesQuit

LesQuit

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 01:08 PM

Thanks guys.

I'll check out the main forum and will keep on with the champix till the end of the 4 weeks.

• Bassman likes this

#5 silver2014

silver2014

Rockin' My Quit

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,904 posts
  • quitdate:
    2014-12-06
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 02 June 2015 - 01:21 PM

Welcome,Lesquit! I hope to get to know you as you journey to freedom!!!   :smile:

• LesQuit likes this

#6 BoldPrint

BoldPrint

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • quitdate:
    2007-08-22
  • LocationNortheast Tennessee

Posted 03 June 2015 - 12:03 AM

I smoked 40 years and used chantix to help me quit.  It's not a magic pill that will make you quit smoking, but it works. However, you will have to do your part.

Unlike some people, chantix did not make cigarettes taste bad to me and I did not cut down on the number of cigarettes I smoked.  I wondered if it was working. However, I quit smoking on the 8th day and there's been no turning back.  (This August I will be celebrating 8 YEARS smoke free!)  

I know people who took chantix for 3 months without ever quitting smoking. You don't want to be one of those people.  At some point -- probably very soon -- you need to take the plunge.

Was quitting smoking easy for me?  No.  Was it one of the hardest things I've ever done?  No way!  Chantix wasn't a magic pill, but it did make my quit manageable and easier than I expected it to be.

Regardless of which quit method you use, the most important elements of a successful (meaning permanent) quit are a commitment to not smoke no matter what and a willingness to hold yourself accountable.

Congratulations on your decision to quit.  It's the best health related decision you will ever make.  You will never regret that you quit smoking.

Best wishes,

Susan

• Bassman, melder7777, LesQuit and 1 other like this

"Trying is failure with honor.  Don't try to do something.  Just do it. " ~ James Ray

Susan (aka BoldPrint)

Not one puff since August 22, 2007

#7 LesQuit

LesQuit

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 04 June 2015 - 08:50 PM

I checked out the main board as advised and chatted to a few people in the chat room who were very helpful, encouraging and friendly.

I came across the repost of the user jessicaybar's experience with lung cancer and it to be that point of reference that I'd been needing. Then that evening I read it to my sister. When I spoke to her the next day she told me she hadn't smoked since I read her the post. I'd had 2 cigarettes. 
Since I spoke to her it's been about 1 day and 12 hours since I had my last cigarette. I haven't been longer than 8 hours without a cigarette in the last 18 years.

Anyway the point I'm trying to make is I still don't feel the Champix is having any effect and the smoking withdrawl symptoms of sleeplessness, dizziness, lack of concentration, erratic moods, fidgety, CRAVINGS, etc seem to be as bad or worse than my sister who has stopped cold turkey. I have a few blisters or ulcers on the roof of my mouth which popped up a few days ago which I read may be a side effect of Champix they don't seem serious so I'm using them as a tool against eating or smoking as I don't really feel like putting much in my mouth cause it's a bit painful. I'm treating them with a salt rinse and antibacterial mouth wash. (obviously if they get worse I'll go to a doctor) 

So I'm really happy that I've made it this far which is a big step for me and feel I've locked my self into the no smoking rollercoaster.  

#8 WantToBeFree

WantToBeFree

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 June 2015 - 02:05 AM

Hey LesQuit-can you point me in the direction of the post you were referring to that made things click for you? I am on chantix too (only 3 days) but would love to read it. Thanks
  • LesQuit likes this

#9 LesQuit

LesQuit

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 05 June 2015 - 07:00 AM

Hey WantToBeFree

http://www.quitsmoki...weird-a-repost/

#10 LesQuit

LesQuit

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 10 June 2015 - 11:05 AM

So it's been a week of not smoking!  :grin:  "One week, 33 minutes and 40 seconds. 105 cigarettes not smoked,  Life saved: 8 hours, 45 minutes."

I'll admit I had one drag of a cigarette before I threw it away on Sunday evening (2 days ago) as I had kept one from the box I gave away.
It tasted like a cigar which made me wonder if thats how strong cigarettes actually are and I had just really got used to them. Either way it was off putting enough to not want another one.

Today I feel alright though, the cravings aren't as constant or last as long. I would describe them as a feeling of the panic of having forgotten something and then realising that you hadn't actually forgotten. My mind isn't obsessed with cigarettes and quitting which is relieving cause it was starting to get tiring. Generally I feel my senses have improved, obviously smell being the most noticeable one. Vanilla is amazing, I realise I don't like the smell of grass and grocery stores are like amusement parks for the nostrils haha. 

I'm not sure whether the Champix actually worked and I didn't realize it or if it was the forum or something else but I wanted to say thanks to all of the people in the forum and chat that helped me get this far  :grin:

#11 jebstewart

jebstewart

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 287 posts
  • quitdate:
    2015-01-16
  • Locationsouthwestern mountains of virginia, usa

Posted 12 June 2015 - 06:38 PM

so glad you made it, les, and that it is all working out so far!

my chantix experience was at 8 days the cigs just weren't doing anything.  i had for years counted off that 7 secs the nic takes to kick the brain and suddenly nothing was happening.  then the smell of burning tobacco changed.  it started to gag me just to draw in.  so i finished up that pack and have been free since.

to me it was key to the understanding, as my dr explained it, that i would have all the other 'usual' symptoms of quitting but this drug would create a disconnect.  if i were to smoke one i would not get the nicotine brain connection thing.  i found that fascinating and a wee bit challenging as now i have had a thought, or two, recently, wondering if it is still working...like if i light one up....  and then i realize that is what all the other work my dr said i had to do.  to become a non, a not, a no more smoker.  

it's been interesting.

the dreams for me were/are stillish mammoth.  but i have taught myself to dream big from way back.  lucid dreams are so fascinating, toss some chantix on them and suddenly it was oh my.  i've used the dreams to work out the smoking as well as those other things i thought smoking made go away.  very awe inspiring.

now i am just about weened off the chantix.  a week or so and no more.

i feel nothing close to wanting to go back to smoking simply because i did the other mind work.  the habit breaking.  the new thinking.  the stuff and junk trappings that somehow made it so easy to inhale smoke---i don't put my mouth on my exhaust pipe while i wait for my car to warm up....---are fading away quickly.  mind boggling, indeed.

so at this point i have to say chantix worked for me while i worked with it.

good luck with your quit!

love you, mean it,

jeb

• LesQuit likes this

:wub:

5fea3866e7.png

2dr760j.jpg

#12 LesQuit

LesQuit

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 15 June 2015 - 07:22 AM

Nice one Jeb! 

I agree the other mind work is 100% necessary for staying quit and I found also for taking that first step. That's where this forum has helped me.

I kinda expected to take the Champix and suddenly cigarettes would taste nasty and I would put them down.  It wasn't like that at all.

A quick update on my side: My starter pack ran out, I found Champix cheaper at another pharmacist. Twice in a row the one that had my script was closed due to electrical issues. When I finally got my script back and took it to the other pharmacist, I was told the script had expired and I had to get a new one from my Doctor. 

So it's been 2 or 3 days without Champix 

Felt a bit faint most of the day after stopping the medication and my mood has sunk abit but that blister/ulcer on the roof of my mouth was gone within a few hours. No inclination to smoke but still have light cravings.

#13 jebstewart

jebstewart

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 287 posts
  • quitdate:
    2015-01-16

Posted 17 June 2015 - 05:11 PM

glad your off the smokes one way or another!  that's what's all about.

keep kickin' that ash.

lymi!

jeb

• LesQuit likes this

5fea3866e7.png

2dr760j.jpg

#14 LesQuit

LesQuit

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 07:05 AM

So I went 7 months.. Then I had just one.. Back to the beginning :(

#15 Smurf

Smurf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,148 posts
  • quitdate:
    2014-09-15
  • Locationwayyyyy down south near the bayou.

Posted 21 January 2016 - 12:56 AM

If you really want to quit Les, Jump right back on the horse and give it another run..

You can do this if you really really want it, you just learned a lesson, not one puff ever.

1410656400_15_1_USD_5_default.png

#16 Smokefreetoday

Smokefreetoday

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,838 posts
  • quitdate:
    2016-07-10
  • LocationCanada

Posted 24 January 2016 - 06:42 PM

Hi Les!  Hmm I have noticed that 1 puff syndrome. The best way to deal with it is to grab hold of the rope and keep quit. 

#17 LesQuit

LesQuit

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 24 January 2016 - 08:01 PM

I've been back to around 7 a day (rollies) this week.  :sad: Do I go on Champix again or do I just go cold turkey? The general feeling is "I'm just going to have this one more as there may not be another chance" 

Angry with myself..

#18 daveinermo

daveinermo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 959 posts
  • quitdate:
    2015-04-29
  • LocationSydney, NSW, Australia

Posted 25 January 2016 - 05:57 AM

I tried Chantix  a few years with no success but in the end I was expecting it to make me want to quit whereas as Bassman said you have to want to quit. I am not sure if thats the problem?

image.png?base_img=4&size=0&date_yr=2015

2dr760j.jpg

#19 Smurf

Smurf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,148 posts
  • quitdate:
    2014-09-15
  • Locationwayyyyy down south near the bayou.

Posted 27 January 2016 - 02:28 AM

I've been back to around 7 a day (rollies) this week.  :sad: Do I go on Champix again or do I just go cold turkey? The general feeling is "I'm just going to have this one more as there may not be another chance" 

Angry with myself..

Well, i'm no doctor les, but i can tell you what i would do in your shoes..

Definetely i would go back on the chantix, you had success with it in the past, and you know what to expect from it..

What do you have to lose?? ( Except maybe a cigarette habit.. )

1410656400_15_1_USD_5_default.png

#20 jebstewart

jebstewart

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 287 posts
  • quitdate:
    2015-01-16

Posted 13 February 2016 - 08:39 PM

LesQuit, your lucky day, ifn you're still around....i recall reading this thread and got you some free dr advice as i had a check up last week....   :rolleyes:

first he said 'quit no matter what way'....duh, right?

second he said going back on the chantix would be okay if you felt that it was in some way helpful.  i couldn't answer how long you had been on it :doh: , but he was adamant that you follow the instructions and work with your dr as you use this powerful drug.

pretty cool, huh?  free advice....... :wub: 

good luck!

love you, mean it,

jeb

(sorry the hot chocolate kicked in...got a little e mote oh con crazy there....)

5fea3866e7.png

2dr760j.jpg

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: chantix, champix

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users