43 replies to this topic

#1 deadheadhoodie

deadheadhoodie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Locationnew hampshire

Posted 29 November 2013 - 04:08 AM

So i'd been a smoker for 13 years and have tried to stop many times... But this time just feels right.... About to start going on two weeks and the cravings haven't been that bad..But have really put myself in a spot with alot of my triggers yet...

But everyone i know that quits says that they hacked up tons of crap after they quit.. Does that happen to most people? I haven't had that happen to me yet or in the past when I've tried to quit... maybe since i smoked for so long the tar is just stuck on my lung pretty well and will take time for that stuff to start to clear out.. I guess I'm just wondering does everyone go though that? If it happens to most people when does that normally happen? how long after you quit?

• Ber4all likes this

#2 Guest_Liziloo_*

Guest_Liziloo_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 November 2013 - 04:54 AM

A lot of people say it does.  My husband hacked up a bunch of crap, but he has huge healthy lungs.  I have very weak little lungs that have been sick for a few years.  I am still coughing things up here and there after 2 months.  Not saying that there is anything wrong with your lungs at all, just seems to be different for everyone.  I took a couple of Mucinex at the beginning of my quit to help get some of the gunk out.  Made me feel better psychologically I think ;)  But there are so many other perks to quitting.  Don't get caught up on this.  Try to notice some of the other positive changes you are experiencing.  For me, I didn't even notice until someone else on the board mentioned that they are no longer clearing their throat.  I thought "holy crap, me neither!"  My constant throat clearing used to keep me and the DH up at night.  Anyway, nice to have you here Deadhead, and congrats on making the best decision you'll ever make!

• deadheadhoodie likes this

#3 Beacon

Beacon

Peanut butter yumm

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,723 posts
  • quitdate:
    9/6/2013
  • LocationMiami, Florida

Posted 30 November 2013 - 12:08 AM

I did not get this symptom. I had other ones....
  • sarry and zerokewl like this

event.png

My first post http://www.quitsmoki...hello-i-am-new/

Cats don't smoke! It's bad for their fur!

#4 MelissaM

MelissaM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 03:42 AM

I was just noticing it wasn't happening to me this time which makes me a bit nervous.   The other times I've quit, it has...hmmm.   I wonder what this means?

• Ber4all likes this

1384740000_15_1_USD_5_default.png

Tomorrow is never promised, so make today count.

~ JCM ~ 5/01/1989 - 9/03/2011  

#5 tommyf

tommyf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 482 posts
  • quitdate:
  • LocationHong Kong

Posted 30 November 2013 - 03:45 AM

I don't have any cough before and after the quit either.

• zerokewl and Ber4all like this

1381588200_15_1_USD_6_default.png

#6 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 December 2013 - 12:06 PM

I never hacked up anything at all or even coughed as a result of quitting. Everyone is different, some do some don't.

#7 clifford

clifford

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 02 December 2013 - 10:34 AM

True.. I have wondered that myself,  smoking for 16 years. quit on 27 Nov 2013  fifth day.. not hacking much, even less than when I was smoking.

Maybe do more daily exercises and drink plenty of water (at least 10 glasses a day) as I have heard can help.  

I am currently trying these home remedies ( safe and natural) and see how things pans out in a week.  Maybe worth a try?

Home remedy #1: Spicy foods are good to clear up sinuses and a stuffy nose. What most do not realize is that spicy foods break up the mucus of chest congestion.

Home remedy #2: Fennel is a natural herb used for a variety of things. Fennel has been proven to clear up the mucus from the lungs. For better results with the fennel is best to have fennel sautéed. You can even add a bit of curry powder to the fennel. This will increase your chances of clearing up the mucus caused by the chest congestion.

Home remedy #3: Another natural herb to break up the nasty mucus associated with colds and chest congestion is parsley. Parsley can be added to practically any dish.  The parsley helps to release the body's histamines. This is used as a natural healer for this aliment

Anyway..  in the long run, you are better off now.   Good on ya pal.

Clifford

• Paul723 likes this

#8 PipB

PipB

Yay I did it !

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,161 posts
  • quitdate:
    2013-07-11
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 02 December 2013 - 10:47 AM

For me - major asthma when I smoked _ clear breathing from day one - only one thing is certain we are all different but much healthier once we stop :-)
  • jenwalz likes this
ijm3z17qn.png[/url

My Freedom Date was 11 July 2013

#9 downtown_gypsy

downtown_gypsy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • quitdate:
    10/30/2013

Posted 03 December 2013 - 06:34 AM

I smoked for 37 years, quit a little over a month ago.  I have not hacked up a darn thing, which is fine since it really sounds kinda disgusting anyhow. 

• sarry likes this

1383120000_20_1_USD_5_default.png

#10 PeppermintFizz

PeppermintFizz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts
  • quitdate:
    25/8/13
  • LocationCanada

Posted 04 December 2013 - 06:33 PM

I did not experience this myself although I never really coughed much as a smoker either (thankfully!)

• zerokewl likes this

CASSIE

image.png?base_img=2&size=0&date_yr=2013       

I think what has helped me a lot is really making myself see the cigarettes for what they actually are and not what I imagined them to be.

#11 scottinpa

scottinpa

completed

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,775 posts
  • LocationBucks County, Pennsylvania, USA

Posted 04 December 2013 - 07:32 PM

Hhhmmm!

Well I did not cough much when I quit.. in the beginning of my quit there was not much that I remember as far as coughing up phlegm... but I remember this feeling of constantly needing to clear my throat.  a few months into my quit, I started to cough up some brown phlegm ( little bit s every morning )  and have continued to do so.  Yep I am still coughing up or clearing out a bit every day, but the color of it has gone form that brown to grey to grey green to beige to now which is basically white ( not clear ).  It will take a good year for your lungs to clear and even longer to heal themselves if I remember right. You may or may not  notice this process, but it is happening.

I am sure you can find better info on this subject or some medical explanation of what out lungs are going through. But there is little or nothing you can do to help the process other than what you have already done...

" Quitting Smoking " So just go with the flow ( phlegm ) lol

scottinpa
Please ignore my spelling... I can't type

"I have quit smoking,.. I am never going to smoke again, I am not sure how I know this... I just do.

QUOTING JWG.... " The hardest step to quitting is the first one, the second most difficult is the second. from there each step , each day , gets you further down the path .. mind you , each day dose not get easier untill you allow it to be so" .. and I add... " It is entirely up to you!! "

#12 billquit

billquit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 615 posts
  • LocationRichlands, North Carolina

Posted 04 December 2013 - 08:11 PM

Hi All!

The lungs really don't NEED to cough to clear themselves. They have other processes to take care of a lot of that.

If the mucus is really thick or there is a good amount of it..it will create a cough.

Basically..in short..some people will cough..others won't.

Either way..it means nothing really other than you're body's clearing the pollution..which is ALSO going on if you ARE NOT coughing.

It just 2 different ways of achieving the same process.

So if you're coughing..be GLAD!..your system is cleaning itself out and starting to heal.

If you're NOT coughing…be GLAD!..your system is cleaning itself out and starting to heal..and has figured a way to do it..without making you cough so much.

In any of the withdraw symptoms..if you don't get one..don't worry..be glad!

If you do get one..don't worry be glad!..Wow..that sounds familiar huh! lol

We were talking earlier about how some peoples gums bleed. Mine did big time..scared the heck outta me! lol 

And not all people get this..so don't worry. But if you do…guess what!..Dont worry! Thats RIGHT! lol

Just keep your quit..hang on tight to the board and whoever or whatever makes you feel human.

Keep the quit! You're all winners!

Bill

• Holski, Nancy., clifford and 2 others like this

Bill Quit..yes he did. 

#13 scottinpa

scottinpa

completed

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,775 posts
  • LocationBucks County, Pennsylvania, USA

Posted 04 December 2013 - 08:21 PM

Very reassuring Bill...  Its all good!

• billquit likes this
scottinpa
Please ignore my spelling... I can't type

"I have quit smoking,.. I am never going to smoke again, I am not sure how I know this... I just do.

QUOTING JWG.... " The hardest step to quitting is the first one, the second most difficult is the second. from there each step , each day , gets you further down the path .. mind you , each day dose not get easier untill you allow it to be so" .. and I add... " It is entirely up to you!! "

#14 lizasaidwot

lizasaidwot

Child of God :)

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,870 posts
  • Locationearth

Posted 04 December 2013 - 09:34 PM

Hi All!

The lungs really don't NEED to cough to clear themselves. They have other processes to take care of a lot of that.

If the mucus is really thick or there is a good amount of it..it will create a cough.

Either way..it means nothing really other than you're body's clearing the pollution..which is ALSO going on if you ARE NOT coughing.

So if you're coughing..be GLAD!..your system is cleaning itself out and starting to heal.

If you're NOT coughing…be GLAD!..your system is cleaning itself out and starting to heal..and has figured a way to do it..without making you cough so much.

We were talking earlier about how some peoples gums bleed. Mine did big time..scared the heck outta me! lol 

And not all people get this..so don't worry. But if you do…guess what!..Dont worry! Thats RIGHT! lol

Just keep your quit..hang on tight to the board and whoever or whatever makes you feel human.

Bill

+1000

• billquit likes this

we are all horribly, beautifully made

#15 Yogi

Yogi

Not your average bear

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 862 posts
  • quitdate:
    2013-11-11
  • LocationKentucky

Posted 06 December 2013 - 03:25 AM

I haven't had that. Don't know if that is good or bad. Congrats on your quit!

event.png

#16 Guest_Liziloo_*

Guest_Liziloo_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 December 2013 - 04:37 AM

Hi All!

Bill

Bill, you're so rad!  I just love reading your posts.  Always so positive and kind. 

#17 Kate18

Kate18

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,174 posts
  • quitdate:
    2017-07-13
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 29 December 2013 - 05:22 PM

When I tried quitting before, after a few days the coughing started. Very unattractive in social settings, like at work. I sounded as though I had bronchitis and the person next to me suggested I stay home if I was sick. I"ll try the 10 glasses of water, fennel, etc, that Clifford recommended above. Thanks for the tips!

event.png

image.png?base_img=1&size=0&date_yr=2017

#18 Gizmo4320

Gizmo4320

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationN.E Ohio

Posted 31 December 2013 - 02:04 PM

I was surprised I coughed up very little stuff so far, and I smoked for 38yrs.

I have been quit for 1 Month, 2 Weeks, 2 Days, 5 hours, 9 minutes and 23 seconds (46 days). I have saved $462.14 by not smoking 1,848 cigarettes. I have saved 6 Days and 10 hours of my life. My Quit Date: 11/15/2013 4:00 AM

• lizasaidwot likes this

I have been quit for 15 hours, 42 minutes and 21 seconds (0 days). I have saved $6.54 by not smoking 26 cigarettes. I have saved 2 hours and 10 minutes of my life. My Quit Date: 11/15/2013 4:00 AM

#19 Blondie

Blondie

Team A

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 598 posts
  • quitdate:
    2014-12-05
  • LocationArizona

Posted 06 January 2014 - 04:33 PM

Everytime I have quit, I begin coughing about day 3 and my lungs start clearing all the debris. I not only cough up phlem but always seem to get bronchitis in the early stages of my quit (I'm on day 5 and began developing signs of a respiratory infection yesterday). This actually helps me with my quit because my lungs burn so much that I don't want to smoke.

"Most people, who have quit smoking, have had at least one unsuccessful try in the past. It is not important how many times you try to quit. The only important thing is, that eventually you stay quit"  Ralph Waldo Emerson

#20 samisampson33

samisampson33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 04:42 PM

I am coughing up SOOO much crap. I really like it though (am i weird!?). I feel like it is my body cleaning itself one flemmy nastyness at a time!

• Ber4all likes this

samisampson33.jpg?r=125fs34f

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users