#1 guy alex

guy alex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
  • Locationcape town

Posted 12 April 2013 - 09:45 AM

The day I quit smoking ,I took the advice of others and started chewing on carrots.
I have to be honest, I didn’t like the way they tasted, but I persevered because I thought I looked cool, so I kept on with the carrots until I could have a packet a day(and if the day was bad, it may even have been two packets).
I tried to hide my carrot eating from friends and family, but they became suspicious of the yellow stains on my fingers, and the discolouring of my teeth.
The carrots started to control my life, we would go for a meal at a restaurant, and I would have to leave them so I could go outside and have a carrot.
Because I didn’t like to eat carrots while driving, trips would take hours longer because of needing a carrot break every twenty minutes.
Things got really bad when I even had a carrot while showering.
I tried to break the habit using canned carrots instead of the fresh ones. i even tried turnips, but found them too bulky in my pocket.
I decided to quit the carrots, but found that certain triggers would make me start again, a salad with my buddies was always a problem.
So….today, is day one…N.O.N.E. Not one nibble ever.

quit date: 19 august 2013

and the day came when the risk to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom. Anaïs Nin

#2 LouDub

LouDub

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • quitdate:
    06/05/2012
  • LocationDublin Ireland

Posted 12 April 2013 - 09:57 AM

What you have to realise Guy is that its not the carrots you are addicted to but the carotene in them. In time your skin willl turn completely orange and your friends will suspect that you are using spray tan. Its so difficult because they seem to be on sale everywhere even openly in the Supermakets and the Vegetable Lobby is going around making statement that they are actually good for you, and part of your 5 a day, its disgaceful. Have you thought about CRT? What worked for me was carring around a bag of chillis and chewing on them whenever I got the urge, it took time and my mouth swelled up like a blowfish but I eventually broke the habit. I cant bear to look at old films where they are chewing carrots anymore.....especially Bugs Bunny eeh Whats up Doc? :lol:

#3 guy alex

guy alex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
  • Locationcape town

Posted 12 April 2013 - 10:05 AM

i am aware its the carotene that i have to get out of my system,but the problem is as you say, they are on sale everywhere.
this is only my first day but i am already in the supermarket fighting the urge to buy a pack of frozen ones.
its terrible that big carrot suppliers target children by using film stars like bugs bunny to advertise for them.before you know it they will have someone pushing spinach as giving you strength.
it has to stop. i have even heard that some people are juicing them.and there is a rumour that e carrots will be available soon.
and please, dont even mention carrot cake!!!

and the day came when the risk to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom. Anaïs Nin

#4 LouDub

LouDub

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • quitdate:
    06/05/2012
  • LocationDublin Ireland

Posted 12 April 2013 - 10:23 AM

A lot of it is the behavioural addiction, the ritual opening of the cellophane, putting aside the styrofoam tray and pleacing the carrots side by side on the counter top, then do I slice the tops and bottoms off first or will I peel them? To dice or to shred or slice, juliene or crosscuts. Oh Gawd Im driving myself mad :cry: Then there's mixing them with other drugs like onions or potatoes and having soup or worse still stew. I tried to stay away from the hard stuff like carrot soup, or pureed carots but I do declare as the song say when I found some comfort there lie lie lie lie (Simon and Garfunkle).

Cold Turkey is the only cure (without Carrots). How have you coped with the reward carrot?

#5 guy alex

guy alex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
  • Locationcape town

Posted 12 April 2013 - 10:39 AM

coping without the reward carrot has been difficult. the only help has been to stick a vegetable patch on my arm.
i have a good book that helps...alan carr-ots quit juicing the easy way.

#6 LouDub

LouDub

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • quitdate:
    06/05/2012
  • LocationDublin Ireland

Posted 12 April 2013 - 10:41 AM

coping without the reward carrot has been difficult. the only help has been to stick a vegetable patch on my arm.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Gotta go and do some work man!

#7 marciem

marciem

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,938 posts
  • quitdate:
    09/20/12

Posted 12 April 2013 - 10:48 AM

guy and Lou.... THANK YOU for the great laughs!! If quitting smoking doesn't need anything else, it does need a good sense of humor!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: all the way to work today thanks again!!

event.png

1348187400_20_1_USD_6.80_default.png

S.moking is N.ot an O.ption T.oday

Better to be a nonsmoker with an occasional desire to smoke, than a smoker with a constant desire to quit.
Remember: everything bad about quitting is temporary, and everything good about quitting is permanent. TimidTulip
Never confuse the price of cigarettes with the real cost of smoking. jwg
I feel no matter my outcome, quitting was still hands down the best thing I ever did....r.i.p. jwg 12/28/13

#8 mateo384

mateo384

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
  • LocationDaytona Beach, Florida

Posted 12 April 2013 - 11:57 AM

stick a patch of leaf lettuce on your arm. :lol:

#9 Pov

Pov

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 12 April 2013 - 01:07 PM

Dude, as a pack a day baby carrot eater myself, I totally sympathize. I've given up trying to quit. I just can't take the withdrawal. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

This is the funniest thing I've seen in quite a while. Thanks.
Posted Image

#10 Mara

Mara

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 02:13 PM

I know, it's tough. I keep thinking, "maybe just a few shreds, in a salad". But those few shreds will just trigger the physical craving again.

#11 scottinpa

scottinpa

completed

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,765 posts
  • LocationBucks County, Pennsylvania, USA

Posted 12 April 2013 - 02:31 PM

The hardest part of the day is my morning with no carrots :( .....
I would like more information on the E-carrot... Is it really as controversial as everyone seems to make it??? I would think that if these E-Carrots were enabling you to quit chewing those orange sticks It would be a good thing. What is all the fuss about???
scottinpa
Please ignore my spelling... I can't type

"I have quit smoking,.. I am never going to smoke again, I am not sure how I know this... I just do.

QUOTING JWG.... " The hardest step to quitting is the first one, the second most difficult is the second. from there each step , each day , gets you further down the path .. mind you , each day dose not get easier untill you allow it to be so" .. and I add... " It is entirely up to you!! "

#12 Guest_Jeb_*

Guest_Jeb_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 April 2013 - 02:32 PM

Posted Image

The typical carrot junkie. Look at him closely, just a pathetic sight to see. Don't let this happen to you. N.O.C.E.

#13 EmmaBunny

EmmaBunny

Where are my coupons?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,907 posts
  • LocationMemphis, TN USA

Posted 12 April 2013 - 10:20 PM

Well, take a look at my avatar to see what will eventually happen to you if you can't kick the carrots.
Posted Image
IF I HAVE JUST ONE CIGARETTE, I'LL BE BACK WHERE I STARTED.
WHERE I STARTED WAS DESPERATELY WISHING I WAS WHERE I AM TODAY.

Posted ImageEmmaBunny Posted Image

#14 soul

soul

PAY IT FORWARD ~ ETQ ~

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,490 posts
  • quitdate:

Posted 12 April 2013 - 10:27 PM

The day I quit smoking ,I took the advice of others and started chewing on carrots.
I have to be honest, I didn’t like the way they tasted, but I persevered because I thought I looked cool, so I kept on with the carrots until I could have a packet a day(and if the day was bad, it may even have been two packets).
I tried to hide my carrot eating from friends and family, but they became suspicious of the yellow stains on my fingers, and the discolouring of my teeth.
The carrots started to control my life, we would go for a meal at a restaurant, and I would have to leave them so I could go outside and have a carrot.
Because I didn’t like to eat carrots while driving, trips would take hours longer because of needing a carrot break every twenty minutes.
Things got really bad when I even had a carrot while showering.
I tried to break the habit using canned carrots instead of the fresh ones. i even tried turnips, but found them too bulky in my pocket.
I decided to quit the carrots, but found that certain triggers would make me start again, a salad with my buddies was always a problem.
So….today, is day one…N.O.N.E. Not one nibble ever.

Nice one! Good story, garden variety! :mrgreen:

Sybil?

I am a puff away from a pack a day!!

SOUL

#15 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 12 April 2013 - 10:30 PM

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm about to piss my pants!

Thanks for the heads up. I don't want to end up like the carrot junkie in jebus' post! Pitiful, look what he has become!

#16 QuitIsEasyDoneIt100x

QuitIsEasyDoneIt100x

Sink rate. Don't sink. Pull up! Pull up!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,116 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 11:06 PM

Hi, my name's David and I used to be a hopeless carrotfiend. Now I'm a carrotless hopefiend.

You need to admit that you are powerless over carrots, and that your life has become unmanageable if you hope to recover. Carroholism is a self-diagnised dis ease. Yes the spacing was intentional. Trying to make a point here. And frankly, I just ain't hearing it. A carrot in the shower? n00b.

You clearly haven't hit your bottom Guy Alex and are still glorifying and romancing and rationalizing and justifying the carrot and the nibble. You are simply not ready and need to experience more pain before you can snap the carrot thinking and recover. Religion is for those who fear hell, spirituality is for those who have been there. Come back when you find yourself running half-naked through the street, gacked up on a week's carrot binge, and using a toilet seat to protect yourself from snipers and mic booms. Only then will you be ready to start letting go letting God as you understand him.

I too was a carrot friend. Damned sticks took me from frat row to skid row, from park avenue to park bench, from Penn State to state pen....Yeah you get the idea. Carroholism can only end in one of three ways; jails, institutions, and death. I experienced all three.

How many will you before you wise up and clean up?

The man takes a carrot, the carrot takes a carrot, the carrot takes the man. There is no vegetable solution for a spiritual problem, and you will never find answers at the bottom of the carrot. Only pain and suffering.

I know I still got one carrot left in me. But I do not have one more recovery.

Thanks for letting me share.

11/05/12
Keep on rocking that quit. headbanger.gif

Congratulations!  You have just discovered the secret text!  Have some cake. the_cake_is_a_lie_portal.jpg

Cigarettes are like squirrels - harmless until you put one in your mouth and set it on fire.

#17 BAbzbaby

BAbzbaby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 498 posts
  • LocationOn the bus

Posted 12 April 2013 - 11:19 PM

Do's & Don'ts about Carrots-

Quit 8/23/12

The other Babs

#18 Agent99

Agent99

Keeperbie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,479 posts
  • quitdate:
    05/24/2012
  • LocationUnder the Sea

Posted 12 April 2013 - 11:49 PM

L O L Love this thread!

image.png?base_img=6&size=0&date_yr=2012

4f8vpao0z.png

Bi_Girl_Cheerleaders.gifGo Quitters!!!

#19 slocum

slocum

Crave free!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,961 posts
  • quitdate:
    11-02-2007

Posted 13 April 2013 - 01:06 AM

Quit said
I too was a carrot friend. Damned sticks took me from frat row to skid row, from park avenue to park bench, from Penn State to state pen....Yeah you get the idea. Carroholism can only end in one of three ways; jails, institutions, and death. I experienced all three.

Ohhhh, but the young would not know...there is a 4th and tragic way to end your carrot addiction.

When you have your teeth removed. :cry:
Posted Image

Posted Image

Quit date: November 2, 2007
Facing the truth about addiction one day at a time.

#20 christine1960

christine1960

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 820 posts
  • quitdate:
    07/26/2011

Posted 13 April 2013 - 03:40 PM

Love this thread! Love the humor and the creativity!

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users