121 replies to this topic

#1 sarahdennis

sarahdennis

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationGreen Bay, Wi

Posted 23 January 2013 - 05:55 AM

I have been cig free for 5 days now! whoo hoo! Anyway, Im taking Chantix, and last night I took a puff off my friends electronic cigarette, and now am feeling like I cheated in some way? What does everyone else think? Am I now readdicted to nicotine? :|
Posted Image

#2 greenlover

greenlover

"REALLY"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,458 posts
  • quitdate:
    12/04/2011
  • LocationLiving with the Amish

Posted 23 January 2013 - 06:03 AM

To me you're back to sq one cause you took a "hit" since that e cig most likely wasn't nic free was it. Please NOPE is the only way to be free.

#3 QuitIsEasyDoneIt100x

QuitIsEasyDoneIt100x

Sink rate. Don't sink. Pull up! Pull up!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,115 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 06:05 AM

I think it is. Not because it is an electronic cigarette, but because you are not using it as a quitting aid. You used it for the nicotine alone. To me that's similar to taking a puff on a real cigarette, although with less potential consequences considering that cigarettes are more addictive.

I would have replied the same if you chewed a piece of nicotine gum, while not using it as an aid.

So you cheated. If you are still quit, and continue to stay quit, then it's not the end of the world. I would only suggest not doing it again.

The consequences may be very different next time. The probability doesn't matter. Why risk any chance of ruining your quit?

Congrats on the 5 days though! That is something to be proud of. And that is something to protect. Why jeopardize it by taking such a silly risk?

P.S. I think it is a good sign that you are worried that it is cheating. That tells me that you know that it is. And I am happy to confirm it.
I missed the part about being re-addicted. No, such a tiny dose of nicotine will not bring you back to where you were when you quit. But by reintroducing nicotine in your system, you may have to deal with more intense cravings.

11/05/12
Keep on rocking that quit. headbanger.gif

Congratulations!  You have just discovered the secret text!  Have some cake. the_cake_is_a_lie_portal.jpg

Cigarettes are like squirrels - harmless until you put one in your mouth and set it on fire.

#4 Lyceius

Lyceius

Wheels

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 640 posts
  • quitdate:
    7/30/12
  • LocationBelfast, Maine

Posted 23 January 2013 - 06:12 AM

Agree with both green and quit... NOPE is the only way... Not One Puff Ever. Puffing and taking nicotine into your body equals a blown quit... But no I don't think you are addicted again. Dust yourself off and practice NOPE. post an SOS before you puff again.
Posted Image

#5 karri1000

karri1000

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 06:54 AM

Did I miss the memo from Meg that says this is a cold turkey only site :?

How can the OP be back to square one or have blown a quit?

You had a puff of an e-cig - big deal. Only you know if you are addicted to nicotine again. Are you suddenly looking for more nicotine, are you suffering withdrawal symptoms? If not then you aren't addicted again! You haven't cheated either.

This isn't Why Quit so why are you all trying to make out like it is.

#6 Sgt.Sausage

Sgt.Sausage

2 warning points

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,138 posts
  • quitdate:
    Mystery
  • LocationCincinnati -ish

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:04 AM

You're gonna get opinions one way or another and that's what they are.

Opinions.

It is The Sarge's opinion that: Yes, Virginia, you have cheated.

The Sarge considers any nicotine intake a step right back to SquareOne™. Do not pass go. Do not collect $200. Reset the counter.

Easy Peasy

I am The Sarge

OECcZO4.png

Pack-and-a-half a day for 27+ years.
Cold Turkey: 17 November 2011 (The Great American Smokeout, 2011 )
The Sarge traded smoking for running. PRs: 3:59:57(26.2) 1:44:10(13.1) 40:23(10k) 33:03(5-mile) 19:04 (5k) 11:59(2-mile) 5:34(1-mile)

"I have said from day one – 'I did not quit to save my life, I quit to spend it better'

And this I have accomplished." -- Just John (jwg), Knight of Honor of The QSMB

#7 karri1000

karri1000

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:06 AM

You really are one sanctimonious man :roll:

#8 Sgt.Sausage

Sgt.Sausage

2 warning points

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,138 posts
  • quitdate:
    Mystery

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:07 AM

Only you know if you are addicted to nicotine again.

One who has been addicted to a substance is always an addict.

Once addicted to nicotine, always addicted to nicotine.

The appropriate question is are you currently using or not.

Easy Peasy

I am The Sarge

OECcZO4.png

The Sarge traded smoking for running. PRs: 3:59:57(26.2) 1:44:10(13.1) 40:23(10k) 33:03(5-mile) 19:04 (5k) 11:59(2-mile) 5:34(1-mile)

"I have said from day one – 'I did not quit to save my life, I quit to spend it better'

#9 Cristobal

Cristobal

A Very Happy & Free Non-Smoker ... ¡ N.O.P.E. !

• Moderators
  • 6,562 posts
  • quitdate:
    2012-10-14
  • LocationBaja California Peninsula, México. English is my second language !

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:09 AM

Hi Sarah welcome to the board !

I agree with the other comments that it was a relapse !

Think about what happened and I am sure you will agree. You put nicotine in your body in a way that it was not Nicotine Replacement Therapy.

And then think REAL HARD about quitting smoking and what this new reality is about.

This new reality, when you go very DEEEEP into it, it is about 2 things:

1. You are a nicotine addict. You have a physical addiction to nicotine. You must accept this in the most deepest parts of Your Mind. Your Heart. Your Soul.

2. To quit and stay quitted today, tomorrow, and forever, you must commit to N.O.P.E.
(Not.One.Puff.Ever). You must commit to this in the most deepest parts of Your Mind. Your Heart. Your Soul.

This is your new reality.

It is very simple. Any body can understand it, but....many can not accept it and commit to it.

These people will relapse. Leave this board and continue to smoke. That happens frequently on this board.

And many will die horrible deaths.

The question for you now is:

Can you accept and commit to this new reality ? If you can, freedom and a beautiful new life will be yours.

If you can not, you will relapse again, leave this board, and very possibly die a early, horrible death.

Answer this question to yourself, not to me or this board.

Cristóbal
Day 100
► I am a ** OLDE PHARTE ** (1 year + :grin: ) !!!
► I smoked 30 years, 2 packs a day ... Bleah ..... :shock: :shock: :shock:
► 14 October 2012 - ¡ This day I took control .... and took back my freedom ! :grin: :grin: :grin:

► ¡ Cold Turkey On A Whim ! :lol: :lol: :lol:
¿¿ How to quit and *STAY* quit ??
¡¡¡ Rocket Science !!! (N.O.P.E. - Not.One.Puff.Ever .... Just For Today)

My Quit & First Post: http://www.quitsmoki...php?f=2&t=46786

8e7d748052.png

#10 karri1000

karri1000

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:10 AM

Sarge I went cold turkey. Like I said when did this become a cold turkey only forum.

So in your eyes anyone who uses NRT hasn't quit. Get over yourself!!!

#11 Sgt.Sausage

Sgt.Sausage

2 warning points

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,138 posts
  • quitdate:
    Mystery

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:14 AM

The Sarge calls 'em as he sees 'em.

As do you.

As do we all.

I am The Sarge

OECcZO4.png

#12 Mezzanin

Mezzanin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:15 AM

The Sarge is not sanctimonious. Get to know the nuances of people's characters before you jump in.

Somebody asked a question, the Sarge took the time to reply and help. You shouldn't get your knickers in a twist when people give answers you don't like :? .
Posted Image

#13 Sgt.Sausage

Sgt.Sausage

2 warning points

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,138 posts
  • quitdate:
    Mystery

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:17 AM

Like I said when did this become a cold turkey only forum.

If you'll calm down and check your reading comprehension, you'll see that The Sarge *explicitly* called this out as his opinion, and said nothing of the forum.

The Sarge said nothing on the policies of this forum.

Nothing.

I am The Sarge

OECcZO4.png

#14 karri1000

karri1000

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:20 AM

The Sarge is not sanctimonious. Get to know the nuances of people's characters before you jump in.

YOU asked a question, the Sarge to took time to reply. You shouldn't get your knickers in a twist if the answer does not suit you.

He is sanctimonious in my opinion and I have seen enough of his posts to feel that way. By the way - I do know people's characters on here that I post directly too.

#15 Sgt.Sausage

Sgt.Sausage

2 warning points

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,138 posts
  • quitdate:
    Mystery

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:20 AM

The Sarge is not sanctimonious.

Actually, he is ... most times.

Easy Peasy

EDIT: The Sarge can admit his character flaws and has no problems airing his dirty laundry for all to see. The Sarge has nothing to hide. Nothing.

I am The Sarge

OECcZO4.png

#16 karri1000

karri1000

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:22 AM

Like I said when did this become a cold turkey only forum.

If you'll calm down and check your reading comprehension, you'll see that The Sarge *explicitly* called this out as his opinion, and said nothing of the forum.

The Sarge said nothing on the policies of this forum.

Nothing.

I can't take anyone seriously that talks about them self in the third party. For all I know YOU may not have quit, only The Sarge :wink:

#17 Cristobal

Cristobal

A Very Happy & Free Non-Smoker ... ¡ N.O.P.E. !

• Moderators
  • 6,562 posts
  • quitdate:
    2012-10-14
  • LocationBaja California Peninsula, México. English is my second language !

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:23 AM

I support the opinion of The Sarge.

As usual he is right.

It certainly was a relapse, a violation of The Law of Addiction and N.O.P.E.

Cristóbal
Day 100
► I am a ** OLDE PHARTE ** (1 year + :grin: ) !!!
► I smoked 30 years, 2 packs a day ... Bleah ..... :shock: :shock: :shock:
► 14 October 2012 - ¡ This day I took control .... and took back my freedom ! :grin: :grin: :grin:

► ¡ Cold Turkey On A Whim ! :lol: :lol: :lol:
¿¿ How to quit and *STAY* quit ??
¡¡¡ Rocket Science !!! (N.O.P.E. - Not.One.Puff.Ever .... Just For Today)

My Quit & First Post: http://www.quitsmoki...php?f=2&t=46786

8e7d748052.png

#18 sarahdennis

sarahdennis

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationGreen Bay, Wi

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:26 AM

well I was mostly curious actually, being on chantix it is said to block your nicotine sensors in your brain. The one puff did nothing for me and did not make me want more/less then normal. I wont be trying the ecig again, and don't actually want or miss cigarettes, I just miss the act of smoking. You know, habits. But it is getting easier and Im really positive about it. Thanks all for your input. But the more I think about it I feel as though Im still 5 days free of cigarettes and that is what matters to me. I really enjoy this board and feel it really helps keep me upbeat and positive so please don't condemn me for my reasoning on this. I know Ive quit for good, I know im an ex cigarette smoker so Ive decided not to let this deter me or see it as a "bad thing" and get me down. Im movin on up!
Posted Image

#19 kickitorfcckit

kickitorfcckit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts
  • Locationwild west

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:29 AM

Glad to hear that you're staying clean and smokefree. Keep your quit. It's worth it.

#20 Guest_Mike._*

Guest_Mike._*
  • Guests

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:31 AM

Well OP, here is my take on this. You probably took the puff, to get some vicarious pleasure from doing it. So, in theory I guess it was cheating and in some people's minds a "slip". But, you mentioned you are on Champix (Canadian spelling of the brand). Depending on how many days you have been on it, you may have reached a stage where that little of nicotine would not throw you in withdrawal, as the Champix blocks the nicotinic-acetacholine receptors. But be careful with playing with nicotine. The true sign of it's addictive qualities, is how easy we can become addicted to it again. My advice, is to not tempt fate anymore and you will remain safe.

Edit: Nicotinic acetylcholine receptors. I looked it up. I can't spell worth s***!

;p

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users