• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 jaaron01

jaaron01

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 02:02 PM

Okay so I'm on day 15 of not smoking (cold turkey), after about 23 years @ a good pak a day. I've had a little sore throat, but no cough or hacking up a lung. So what's the deal? Is that something that's coming or, did I miss something? Everything I've read seems to indicate that things should be much worse, Flu like symptoms, near death coughing fits, chest pains, tightness in my chest, and I'm not seeing it "Yet".

Anyone else have a delayed reaction?

#2 Bradley Parker

Bradley Parker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,910 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 02:14 PM

I never got any pieces as big as when I was smoking of 'lung material' just the occasional tiny piece of brown gunk will come out with laborious continued coughing.

The sore throat is the killer. But everyone will experience differently. Congrats on getting through "hell week" and "heck week." Keep the quit, you earned it!

ntp.gifQINFS
Chantix Low-Dosage Quit Method
Quit since August 18th 2012 - QSMB's youngest Olde Pharte at 22

#3 Marvitta

Marvitta

Free & Healing

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,104 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 30 October 2012 - 02:16 PM

Hello and welcome to the board.

It sounds like you are doing great and you are right where you should be. Every quit, is unique so just because someone experiences something it doesn't mean everyone will. I smoked a long time and I never did cough up anything. Although i did have some other syptoms.
Just drink plenty of water and be glad your quit seems to be going smoothly.
You also might want to read the newbie pkg there is a lot of great info and inspiration in there.

Congrats on your 15 days you are doing great! :)
(I started about age six and smoked over fourty years.... anyone can quit!)

Smoke & Nicotine free since 7/19/2011
~~~~The Day I Quit!~~~~

If You Are Going Though Hell, Keep Going ~ Winston S. Churchill
~~One Foot In Front Of The Other Gets You Where Your Going~~

~~~~~Life is What Happens When You Are Making Other Plans~~~~~ John Lennon

#4 jaaron01

jaaron01

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 02:19 PM

I've just been reading all these website and seeing some horror stories, and thinking I've not had anything like that, and I would consider myself a very heavy smoker for a solid 22-23 years. I've just not had any of those severe symptoms, and just said on 15 Oct 2012 @ 1:47, I don't want to do this anymore.

My Wife is still going strong, but it's up to her when she quits, and we diffinately couldn't go at the same time and stay married!! So I chose to go first and lead the way. Just seems like I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop, and it hasn't yet.

#5 Frank

Frank

As good as it gets.!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,392 posts
  • LocationCalifornia USA

Posted 30 October 2012 - 02:21 PM

Hi jaaron01, welcome to this board and congratulations on the best decision for the rest of your life. Symptoms are different for everybody. I am glad that you are doing very well and that you have come to the right place. Keep on reading and participating here, it really makes the difference. and most of all NOPE.

Nov 6, 2011 I decided " I had enough with this sh*t "

Alcohol to a quit is like Kryptonite to Superman

Stop, Think and then React. Not React,Stop and then Think

Practice does not make it perfect, makes it permanent. Practice the right things!

Quitting is by far the best decision for the rest of your life.

"Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them" Dalai Lama

#6 sugarlips

sugarlips

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 549 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 02:38 PM

I quit last year for 2 months and hacked up some awful crap. Then started up for about 9 months and this time I've quit not one cough. Maybe I had my good clear out last year! I don't know some people get flu like symptoms, others don't. You're doing amazing, keep it up!

#7 jaaron01

jaaron01

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 02:44 PM

We'll I would assume that being in Nebraska, and winter quickly approaching, that I would have a good chest cold coming in a month or so. Maybe at that time things will start breaking loose. I just feel like so far I've quit, and I've not seen really anything change other than my appetite. I've packed on 7lbs in 14 days; That has to come to an end. I let things run wild for the first 2 weeks, figuring lets just see how far it goes.

It went 7 lbs to far, and now things are being brought back under control. More gym time, and stay off the snacks.

#8 marciem

marciem

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,989 posts
  • quitdate:
    09/20/12

Posted 30 October 2012 - 04:30 PM

Okay so I'm on day 15 of not smoking (cold turkey), after about 23 years @ a good pak a day. I've had a little sore throat, but no cough or hacking up a lung. So what's the deal? Is that something that's coming or, did I miss something? Everything I've read seems to indicate that things should be much worse, Flu like symptoms, near death coughing fits, chest pains, tightness in my chest, and I'm not seeing it "Yet".

Hi there! Welcome and congratulations on your 15 days of quit-dom!!

Just last week another member had pretty much the same question/?problem?. http://www.quitsmoki...48&hilit=phlegm

WARNING: Be careful what you wish for

event.png

1348187400_20_1_USD_6.80_default.png

S.moking is N.ot an O.ption T.oday

Better to be a nonsmoker with an occasional desire to smoke, than a smoker with a constant desire to quit.
Remember: everything bad about quitting is temporary, and everything good about quitting is permanent. TimidTulip
Never confuse the price of cigarettes with the real cost of smoking. jwg
I feel no matter my outcome, quitting was still hands down the best thing I ever did....r.i.p. jwg 12/28/13

#9 dls46711

dls46711

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,699 posts
  • LocationSouth Texas

Posted 30 October 2012 - 05:03 PM

Welcome to the boards! i must say i never hacked up anything. Maybe i coughed a little bit at firs,t but that's about it.
Diane

April 15th, 2009 is the day i became free!

If i agree with you, than we'll both be wrong...Steven Tyler

Copy That?

#10 DanniJames

DanniJames

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 862 posts
  • quitdate:
    3/4/2012

Posted 30 October 2012 - 05:18 PM

Oh geez. Please don't say you want phlegm. I don't want to have to post some loogies again. :lol:

Worry about the symptoms you DO have, everyone experiences it a little differently. You can start cleaning out at any time in the process, or not at all.

#11 jaaron01

jaaron01

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 05:28 PM

Its okay don't need any photos. Just saying I've been reading all this stuff for several years about quitting, and what to expect, etc. etc....and now here I am, and I'm just not seeing/feeling it. Now I tried to quit a couple time last year with Chantax, and patches and it just wasn't working for me.

However on 15 Oct 12, while home for a lunch break, I told the wife I only had 1 left, and so did she. She told me to stop on the way back to work and grab myself a pak. For whatever reason I didn't, and 4 hours later I said what's the point. Cold Turkey since then.......

I've been wanting to quit for a while...I have no idea why I did at this point. I will say it's a strong addiction, as last week I had several dreams of smoking and then realizing I had quit and putting them out in my dream. That's some strong stuff!!!!

#12 monojo

monojo

I woke up like this.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,818 posts
  • quitdate:
    1/14/2012
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 30 October 2012 - 05:37 PM

Its okay don't need any photos. Just saying I've been reading all this stuff for several years about quitting, and what to expect, etc. etc....and now here I am, and I'm just not seeing/feeling it. Now I tried to quit a couple time last year with Chantax, and patches and it just wasn't working for me.

However on 15 Oct 12, while home for a lunch break, I told the wife I only had 1 left, and so did she. She told me to stop on the way back to work and grab myself a pak. For whatever reason I didn't, and 4 hours later I said what's the point. Cold Turkey since then.......

I've been wanting to quit for a while...I have no idea why I did at this point. I will say it's a strong addiction, as last week I had several dreams of smoking and then realizing I had quit and putting them out in my dream. That's some strong stuff!!!!

I had a similar experience-- I ran out of cigarettes one day, and the weather was awful and I was hungover :oops: and I didn't feel like leaving the house. Once I had gone 6 hours without a cigarette, I realized that I might as well keep going with it. That's why I am determined that this is my only quit-- I can't depend on the stars lining up like they already have again. I'm not going to kick Opportunity out of the house now!

Keep going-- you are doing a fantastic job!! :D
Posted Image
Joanne
Quit date January 14, 2012

Know in your heart that you will NOT blow up or explode into tiny pieces if you don't have a cigarette. You might feel like a squirrel in a coffee can trapped in your own skin occasionally, but you won't blow up... and the feeling will go away pretty soon. -marciem

All you have to do to stay free for life, is this:
Right now, this moment, the instant of space-time that you occupy: choose not to take one puff. - Samalie0

#13 pvprincess

pvprincess

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 05:45 PM

Hi jaaron.... not everyone gets the coughing up crap thing. Some get it some do now. As far as I know none of us here is sure why. It might be a good question to ask your doctor or perhaps the answer could be found on a medical advice site like webmd.
I lit my last cigarette on April 8th 2011

"The Only way to quit smoking effectively and forever is the DONT SMOKE METHOD" jwg

"Part of the inhumanity of the computer is that, once it is competently programmed and working smoothly, it is completely honest." Isaac Asimov

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users