• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 mac8008

mac8008

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 02:34 AM

Has anyone tried to quit with just one 1mg pill a day ? I am trying to save money and am sensitive to medication anyway, so I thought maybe one would work. If anyone has stayed one it, have you tried just one a day ?

#2 WTBF

WTBF

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,813 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 09 August 2012 - 05:35 PM

Many people have quit cold turkey, so taking only one Chantix per day is bound to help some people succeed. The important thing to understand is that Chantix will not quit for you; it will only reduce your desire to smoke. You still have to do the hard part, which is re-training your brain to deal with life without the haze of nicotine clouding the way. The only way to find out if one pill per day will work for you is to try it. Just make sure that you are "trying" one pill per day, not "trying" to quit. Be prepared to do whatever it takes to stay quit, even if that means taking two per day.

As for the cost of Chantix, have you considered how much you spend on sickarettes?
  • Jennie Scott likes this
Tim
**Smoking is Not an Option**
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
I used to be somebody else, but I traded him in. ..... The Passenger
N.O.P.E.

#3 mac8008

mac8008

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 10:06 PM

Thanks....The whole point was the cost of both together. Yikes.

I did use Chantix before and stopped for a week. It took 3 weeks to work but I remember that day I got up and didn't even want one. I stopped taking it because of nausea. I just wondered if anyone had tried only using 1 or staying smoke free with one dose. Less side effects. I guess we will find out. I feel I am out of time and overdue to stop or I will end up like my mother, with COPD, CHF on oxygen etc etc. I just remember her saying why didn''t I stop before. Even though she stopped a few years after a heart bypass it was too late.

#4 WTBF

WTBF

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,813 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 09 August 2012 - 11:13 PM

I never tried Chantix, but others have posted about using only one pill a day with success. Even if you do have to deal with the cost of both for three weeks, you are going to be saving money pretty quickly by not smoking. Try not to over-think your quit. The best thing you can do is learn as much as you can about the addiction and the quitting process - that will help you more than anything else, including Chantix. And best of all, IT'S FREE! :D Check out the Newbie Package on the main board and www.whyquit.com.
Tim
**Smoking is Not an Option**
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
I used to be somebody else, but I traded him in. ..... The Passenger
N.O.P.E.

#5 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 10 August 2012 - 02:05 AM

I am using Chantix with great success. I smoked the first 7 days and stopped on the 8th even though I wasn't yet at the point of not wanting to smoke. I took the two pills the first month, as directed, but decided to cut down to one pill on my second month. I am now 6 weeks quit and still doing well with the one pill. Maybe it's because I had already not smoked for a month before I cut down, but I do not notice any difference between the one pill and the two. Since the beginning of a quit is so tough, would it be possible for you to take the two pills for the first month (or at least the first two weeks) and then cut down to one, as I did? Also, for the nausea, make sure you always take the pill on a full stomach. Hope this helps a little!

#6 Bradley Parker

Bradley Parker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,907 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 02:06 AM

Hello, my screen name is Bradley Parker and this is my first message to this board. Now that we have been introduced, you can just call me Brad.

I have been researching Chantix and quitting smoking online for a few weeks now after receiving a box of it as a gift from my father [yes, I know it is bad to take medicine without advice and supervision of a doctor, but that's not what we're here about] I finally decided I was ready, to take the plunge and see whether I turn homi-/sui-/uxori-cidal [and if this happens, then I plan to stop Chantix immediately without abandoning my plans to be cigarette free] and I will share my plan of dosage here. I found in many first- and third-person informal reports to various message boards and comments in articles and blogs, [when researching side effects] that a reduced dosage did not substantially decrease the effectiveness of Chantix, though it did greatly decrease side effects. This was not through reliable sources, nor am I a reliable source, so take that nugget with salt. That tentative conclusion, combined with the limited number of pills at my disposal, led to the following dosage schedule's creation.

I have set a quit date of 18 August 2012 [8/18/2012 in the states] and I am using exact half dosages of Chantix. Today is 11 August 2012 [8/11/2012] and I took my first Chantix pill. [1/4th tablet] I have been smoking as normally today. I noticed a large decrease in energy today, only from 1/4th of one pill. I plan to cold turkey quit cigarettes on day 8 and though I only have a one month supply of Chantix pills, they are not the starting month, they are the continuing [2nd] month, so each tablet is identical and in regular 1mg strength; I have 56 total tablets.

This is the schedule of Chantix dosage I have planned after my research online of Chantix.
Day 1-2: .25mg [1/4th of 1mg equivalent blue tablet] once daily
Day 3-7: .5mg [1 half of blue tablet] once daily
Day 8-12: 1mg [1 blue tablet] once daily
Day 13-17: .5mg [1 half of blue tablet] once daily
Day 18-19: .25mg [1/4th of blue tablet] once daily

The total number of pills required for this dosage schedule is 11, so I am well within the 56 pill limit placed by the number of pills available to me. My research shows me that Chantix is actually one H-E-double-hockey-stick of a powerful drug, and it's effects on the brain are as extreme and controlling as nicotine or anything else I can think of. This is why I intend to slowly withdraw off of Chantix in the same way of taking smaller doses leading up to the larger doses instead of dropping Chantix abruptly after the first 72 hours nicotine free. Whyquit.com is where I go along with Joel's Youtube video series for information on cold turkey quitting, when going to these resources, I relate their "day one" strategies on day 8, day 2 strategies on day 9, etc. But after viewing a lot of their stuff, I could say I successfully quit I owe more of my success over there than I do to Pfizer's Chantix, after I take out a share for myself.

Another thing I noticed about these pills, expiration is three years in the future, so it would be a research question, whether pills acquired a year ago are still good two years into the future, and pills from two years ago would be within safe usage date for another year? 11 tablets isn't an unreasonable number of tablets, hypothetically, that someone would be expected to have laying around if they tried Chantix and lost their quit?

I am age 21 and have been smoking 20-25 cigarettes per day since age 14... There are a lot of jobs that won't even consider cigarette smoking applicants. I suffer from chronic coughing/production of lung mucus, become light-headed upon standing, and severe dental problems which are compounded by [possibly even caused by] my cigarette smoking. Wish me luck and strength as I wish for you luck and strength. It's funny I ran into this thread first on the Chantix section, as this was a question I also had, and spent days researching; my tentative conclusion which I share with you is that, yes, your plan should work, but due to everyone's bodies and experiences being different there is no 100% clear answer until after it's all done and over with. So it goes... [Edited dose schedule and some text 18 Aug.]

ntp.gifQINFS
Chantix Low-Dosage Quit Method
Quit since August 18th 2012 - QSMB's youngest Olde Pharte at 22

#7 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 12 August 2012 - 03:15 AM

Hi Brad, and welcome. :D I'm impressed with all the research you have done on Chantix. I can't comment on your dosage plan because, as you know, it should be monitored by your doctor. As you said, it's STRONG medication! If you haven't done so yet, you need to go to the main board here and do as much or more research on nicotine addiction and prepare yourself mentally for your quit. Believe me, that's where the difficulty is and no dosage of Chantix is going to help you with the emotional roller coaster you will be riding. I've found that Chantix helped me greatly with the reduction of physical withdrawal symptoms but the psychological part (which is greater and longer lasting than the physical) will be up to you and your willpower alone. But with the right mindset and preparation it does not have to be that difficult. Most of the activity is on the main board, so I encourage you to become active there. Read the newbie package and whyquit.com. I also found reading alot of old posts helped, especially during the first few weeks of my quit. I commend you for making this great decision at such a young age, and hope to see you around often.

#8 Bradley Parker

Bradley Parker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,907 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 05:22 AM

Thanks for the reply Kathleen,

I have actually already been spending a lot of time on whyquit.com; I already found my way to the newbie package before making my first post. "The X Factor" [don't remember exactly where I found that section, I think it might be part of the "newbie section" but I do know the text is all purple] is the reason why I actually chose to join this forum instead of give a few reads and keep my mouth shut. I have much support from my girlfriend who lives with me and I am being optimistic and trying to keep confidence levels high. I have been mentally preparing myself for what is coming in a lot of ways, and reading some of the cold turkey stories give me the resolve that it is possible. "If he can do it, I can do it" mentality

A lot of my life has been spent 'doing things the hard way' when the easy way is right in front of me and all I have to do is follow everyone else. I'll spare you the details, this wasn't the best, wasn't the worst, either way I became pretty mentally tough because of it. I made many poor decisions as a child and teenager and this smoking addiction has followed me where a lot of the immaturity that got me thinking smoking was cool I was able to leave behind or repair. I plan on continuing my research and uniting with everyone on this board so we all can quit and stay quit. After I gain experience with quitting, it will allow me to help others in this board. I am really looking forward to my new life without cigarettes.

-Brad

ntp.gifQINFS

#9 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 12 August 2012 - 01:18 PM

Sounds like you have a great attitude and the resolve necessary for a successful quit, good for you! I can tell you honestly that being active on this board is what has made the difference for me and I hope it helps you as well. The "if he/she can do it, so can I" thinking will take you a long way. We are all in this together.

#10 ladymember

ladymember

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,481 posts
  • LocationOhio, USA

Posted 13 August 2012 - 12:28 PM

Do not cut the pills. There are warnings against that.

Chantix did not help me want to smoke less, though it has helped others in this forum.
Ladymember

Posted Image

I Quit: 3 Packs a day
Quit Date: February 6, 2012 @ 1 am

#11 LeonieHall

LeonieHall

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 08:07 AM

Hello Brad
I was very interested in your detail plan and all the research that went into it and your schedule for taking the Chantix. It is 9/22 now, so over a month since your schedule of taking Chantix would have started. How have things gone? - I would be really interested in knowing.
Many thanks
Leonie

#12 Bradley Parker

Bradley Parker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,907 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 04:21 PM

Hello Brad
I was very interested in your detail plan and all the research that went into it and your schedule for taking the Chantix. It is 9/22 now, so over a month since your schedule of taking Chantix would have started. How have things gone? - I would be really interested in knowing.
Many thanks
Leonie

I'll make a whole thread for you, but the short version is "extremely successfully so far." Check my signature for the link.

ntp.gifQINFS

#13 Jennie Scott

Jennie Scott

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 05:31 PM

Yes it will work. My husband and i both started chantix 6 weeks ago. In The 3rd week we decided to take only one tablet a day because of the side effects it was having on both of us. (Strange vivid dreams, nausea, feeling in a daze all day, and a couple more)
We are now on the continuing month pack week 6 and still just take one tablet a day (mornings) and it works just fine. The side effects are as good as gone and most important, the feeling of wanting a cigarette is gone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users