Feeling better but looking worse!

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 03 July 2012 - 02:53 PM

Oh, the irony of it all. As my insides begin to heal, my outsides are falling apart! I've put back 3 of the 15 lbs. I lost, the bags under my eyes from waking up every hour all night are taking over my face, and the worst part is my skin, didn't know there was "senior" acne! If I'm this bad at 5 days quit, it's going to be downright scary at 30 days. But it will all be worth it in the end. And at my age, who's looking anyway!

#2 Karaquits

Karaquits

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 03 July 2012 - 03:05 PM

Don't worry, it will all even out in the end and you will look and feel so much better! Really, you will!
Quit date: March 01, 2012

#3 avian3

avian3

Happy!!

• Moderators
  • 11,571 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 03 July 2012 - 03:08 PM

"Senior" acne. :lol: Yes Kathleen, I quit at 57 and I began getting zits for the first time in decades. Also, I would get hives.

This will all clear up soon and you will look like you did when you were in your 20's. :mrgreen: Not really, but you will look a heck of a lot better than you did when you smoked. :D
QUIT September 14, 2010
Posted Image

#4 kinkash

kinkash

I once was blind, but now I see

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,573 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 03 July 2012 - 03:38 PM

Try 25...I'm trying to be more conscious about my eating choices but my focus is on my quit at this point
When the student is ready...The teacher will appear-Soul
Fear of the quit is worse than the quit-Cookielinda
When you stop buying cig......You start paying for your addiction - jwg

Smoking is not some friend that brings you comfort. It is the Enemy that wants to kill you!

fe465a219fb77a9e991afb52f739.png

#5 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 03 July 2012 - 03:42 PM

Yes, Kinkash, but I see you've quit for over 4 mths, I'm only on day 5! But you are so right, the focus needs to be on the quit, everything else can be taken care of in time.

#6 ******

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,199 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 03:47 PM

You'd look even worse if you had to have your legs amputated through smoking!

I'm sure you look and smell better than you have in years, it's just the insecurities that creep in because we are taking a good honest look at ourselves for the very first time!

no more stinky breath, yellow teeth, stained fingers!

as smokers we were blind to everything, we had to be.

#7 MIZZOU

MIZZOU

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,311 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis Missouri

Posted 03 July 2012 - 04:00 PM

Kathleen

Congrats on you wonderful success. In some ways - It's only been 5 days, and in other ways its - Wow, I have been quit for 5 days! Believe me, the latter is the real story and worthy of a celebration. Very well done!!!

I am 62 and like you quit after a lifetime of smoking, and my quitting was motivated very much by becoming a grandparent. One thing I learned being a grandfather vs being a father was - Don't sweat the small stuff. Things that used to just drive me nuts when my own kids did them, are just hilarious when my grandkids do them.

Same goes with quitting cigarettes. In the long run not smoking will do so much more to help you fend off the maladies of aging. What you are experiencing now is only temporary.

#8 Rain Forest

Rain Forest

Ash Kicker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 03 July 2012 - 04:11 PM

lol @ the "senior acne" comment! :lol:

You will be fine, kathleen, trust me... right now you are going thru some changes (ah hell, not near as bad as menopause if you ask me! haha)... I quit smoking 2 months before my grandson was born and I'm so happy that I did... his mother smokes but he'll never see his grandma with one of them ugly things in her mouth.

Stick close to the QSB... this is a wonderful support system... by the way, your humor will get you thru this.
Rain :)

event.png

Freedom date: May 13, 2009

I oftentimes say I'm leaving here.  Jan says:

"She always says that. She's got her fingers crossed behind her back."

Jan is right... lol

#9 DesertJane

DesertJane

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 03 July 2012 - 04:34 PM

Hey Kathleen ... if it's any reassurance, my acne is aaaaaaall over the place. My face is all messed up... it's like the Sahara along my cheekbones and jaw, but oily as jungle all over the rest of my face. Blemishes all over. It's like puberty again. BUT in time, your skin and mine will actually look much better. Just ask my best friend P. She had acne along her hairline and cheekbones and around her mouth when she smoked. For a couple weeks it got way worse, but now, 7 months into her quit, her skin is PERFECT. Smooth texture, even skintone.

And besides, one part of your external persona's already gotten better--you don't smell like an ashtray :D
Posted Image

"Pray not for an easy life, rather for an enduring heart." - Irish Proverb

#10 WTBF

WTBF

"Emu of Shame"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,847 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 03 July 2012 - 06:22 PM

If I'm this bad at 5 days quit, it's going to be downright scary at 30 days.

No, no, no, no, no!! That is NOT the way it works. One of the easiest traps to fall into is thinking that your situation will only get worse, so why bother? The truth is that things keep getting better - just hang in there and slog your way through this. Don't worry about the scale - don't even look at it. Just eat healthy and exercise properly. If you do gain a few pounds, there will be plenty of time to get rid of them when you are more comfortable in your quit. :)
Tim
**Smoking is Not an Option**
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
I used to be somebody else, but I traded him in. ..... The Passenger
N.O.P.E.

#11 goodkarmajen

goodkarmajen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • LocationOntario, CANADA

Posted 03 July 2012 - 08:00 PM

It gets better...it really does. I know when you are "in it" it seems hopeless but don't give up. Ever. Nothing that can happen to you will ever be solved by a cigarette!
Congrats on your quit!
Posted Image

#12 Marvitta

Marvitta

Free & Healing

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,096 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 03 July 2012 - 08:05 PM

Before you know it you will be getting compliments on how great your skin looks ! :)

For the insomnia try some camomile tea and/or Advil PM :wink:

Hang in there it gets better and better !
(I started about age six and smoked over fourty years.... anyone can quit!)

Smoke & Nicotine free since 7/19/2011
~~~~The Day I Quit!~~~~

If You Are Going Though Hell, Keep Going ~ Winston S. Churchill
~~One Foot In Front Of The Other Gets You Where Your Going~~

~~~~~Life is What Happens When You Are Making Other Plans~~~~~ John Lennon

#13 LouDub

LouDub

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • quitdate:
    06/05/2012
  • LocationDublin Ireland

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:35 PM

Kathleen

One thing I am sure of even as a mere male is that your skin gets better when you quit smoking. I have have had :) quite a few compliments from my female friends about how good my complexion looked after I quit. "You dont look so gray" they said. When you quit smoking the capillaries in your skin start taking more oxygen to the surface and oxygenating the skin. My dear girl you are going through puberty all over again :D , all the zits and bumps are getting fuel like they never had before. But this will pass and it wont be long before your friends start wondering if you had a facelift or something. You are beautiful because you are in control again and your body is so going to thank you for this. With the money you save from quitting in a couple of week, bring yourself to the beauty parlour and get the full works. On a personal level thanks for the pms and personal support. I have noticed that you haven't cpmplained onece since you loined this board, good for you. I think you are going to make it, I think we both are Babycaked. Hugs. Louis

#14 Boxcigi

Boxcigi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:44 PM

Hello Kathleen,
It’s just looking this way at the moment. Your body is going through great changes clearing itself from all the poison and tar it’s ingested over the years. This won’t last. Soon your skin will clear and begin to get colour again.
The sleeping thing is what really got me. I still have nights or restless sleep interrupted my weird dreams or nightmares. However it is getting better. Try and drink caffeine free tea before bed and maybe a walk before then might also help.
You’re doing great. Stick with it.
All the best
Lukas
Posted Image
There is no future in the past!!!
(A stolen quote from someone smart)

#15 monojo

monojo

I woke up like this.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,810 posts
  • quitdate:
    1/14/2012
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:46 PM

I just read something on here that called the acne "quitzits" and I thought that was great- so true! :lol: But like everyone else has said, they do go away, and your skin will be rosier. You will look so much more alive!

As far as the weight goes, I gained about 20#. I joined a gym a little over a month ago and am in the process of losing it and then some. I was amazed at how much better I could breathe! Try not to worry so much about gaining a little- one thing at a time. Quitting is the best possible thing you can do for your health. However...nicotine helps to regulate blood sugar, so it may help to break up your meals into lots of smaller ones and eat throughout the day so you don't get "crash and binge" syndrome. It might also help to allow yourself an extra snack in exchange for extra exercise time. And, I have learned that strength training is really beneficial to losing weight and keeping it off. But most importantly, don't be hard on yourself-- focus on all the positive aspects of quitting and on what strength you have! :D
Posted Image
Joanne
Quit date January 14, 2012

Know in your heart that you will NOT blow up or explode into tiny pieces if you don't have a cigarette. You might feel like a squirrel in a coffee can trapped in your own skin occasionally, but you won't blow up... and the feeling will go away pretty soon. -marciem

All you have to do to stay free for life, is this:
Right now, this moment, the instant of space-time that you occupy: choose not to take one puff. - Samalie0

#16 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 03 July 2012 - 11:18 PM

Blown away by the support on this message board!!! Thank you. We certainly are all in this together, just at different stages. I know without a doubt that I will continue to be smoke free for the rest of my life in a large part thanks to all of you. Little things like breaking out and a few extra pounds are a small price to pay for what I'm getting in return. Besides, I was thinking anyone at this age who is looking at me probably doesn't have very good eyesight anyway! lol

#17 kinkash

kinkash

I once was blind, but now I see

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,573 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 03 July 2012 - 11:22 PM

Blown away by the support on this message board!!! Thank you. We certainly are all in this together, just at different stages. I know without a doubt that I will continue to be smoke free for the rest of my life in a large part thanks to all of you. Little things like breaking out and a few extra pounds are a small price to pay for what I'm getting in return. Besides, I was thinking anyone at this age who is looking at me probably doesn't have very good eyesight anyway! lol

+1 :lol:
When the student is ready...The teacher will appear-Soul
Fear of the quit is worse than the quit-Cookielinda
When you stop buying cig......You start paying for your addiction - jwg

Smoking is not some friend that brings you comfort. It is the Enemy that wants to kill you!

fe465a219fb77a9e991afb52f739.png

#18 dawn

dawn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 01:40 AM

Though I am only on the 3rd day of my quit, I plan on starting a 9 week long from the couch to running a 5k plan I found online. I'm trying to avoid weight gain, but I don't think that will be possible. I have been so hungry the last two days. Even after a full meal I still don't feel satisfied. Guess I will have to get used to that. :lol:

I haven't had anymore acne then usual, but it has only been 3 days. The first day I used the patch but wasn't at all impressed with how I felt on it. I went without yesterday and so far today. I have one with me at work just in case I am having a really difficult time getting through a craving.

#19 ladymember

ladymember

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,481 posts
  • LocationOhio, USA

Posted 04 July 2012 - 01:56 AM

I did not have your problem, but hang in there.

I am 57, no wrinkles yet, no bags either. :shock:

People actually have told me my skin looks healthier and softer... (Oxygen is actually here now).

Hang in there, it will get better. :D
Ladymember

Posted Image

I Quit: 3 Packs a day
Quit Date: February 6, 2012 @ 1 am

#20 Vennessa87

Vennessa87

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • LocationGrindstone, Pennsylvania

Posted 04 July 2012 - 02:37 PM

Im 25 and usually only get acne when its that time of the month... haha. My skin is NEVER oily, but has been. Its lightened up alot though and its beginning to clear already. And I am so happy that someone has mentioned hives!! I have been breaking out in hives on my arms and neck and I had no idea why!! I was thinking it was an allergic reaction to something!

I guess when we quit smoking... our body wants to excrete all the bad things in it. Even if that means pushing it through our glands!! And in 10 days, I have sadly gained 1 pant size and 3 lbs :cry: The good news is, the money I am saving from cigarettes, I am using to pay for a YMCA membership!! :P So what I gain will soon be gone, and I will actually be able to breathe during a workout which was close to impossible before.
Hang Tough, Don't Puff!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users