• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Pennys2004

Pennys2004

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 10:51 PM

I am in the process of quitting smoking for the third and final time-hopefully (the 37p rise in the cost of a packet of cigarettes was the last straw!) and have so far sailed through the first 16 days :D

The problem I am having is that the patches are reeeeaaaalllllly irritating my skin! I have been placing the patches on my arms in different areas each time but the patches are seriously making me itch. My skin (where the patches have been placed) is very red, hot and itchy and feels swollen and hard to the touch. I have tried different brands but I still get the rashes...

Has anyone else experienced a similar problem and if so, how did you overcome it-if you did?

I am worried about trying a different method of nicotine replacement as I am concerned that things like gum etc, won't give me the constant dose of nicotine that I have been getting, which I think is the reason that I have lasted so long without smoking and without having any mood swings/cravings.

Any help/advice would be much appreciated :)

#2 greenlover

greenlover

"REALLY"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,458 posts
  • quitdate:
    12/04/2011
  • LocationLiving with the Amish

Posted 12 April 2012 - 06:54 AM

I had the same problem & use to use duct tape to keep the patches on. I sometimes wonder if the soap used in bathing helped or hurt the process. Its too bad that it seems you can't use them below the waist.I also had more trouble with store brand patches then the more expensive name brand-sorry I wasn't a big help-thats why I've been using Wellbutrin for my quits.

#3 muppet

muppet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 257 posts
  • LocationAlberta, Canada

Posted 12 April 2012 - 03:05 PM

I had that as well, but found that if I put the patches on my hip or stomach area, it was fine. Try a different location and see what happens.
Kristy
First day of freedom: September 5, 2011

Posted Image

#4 Pennys2004

Pennys2004

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:24 AM

Thanks for your advice. I tried putting it on my hip but they just dont seem to stay stuck there dut to me walking to work, them sitting down and moving around etc. I will try again and maybe stick it down with some duct tape as was the previous suggestion...

I didn't put a patch on yesterday as I couldn't stand the itching anymore but my cravings have been so bad (I have been using the nicotinel mouth spray which is good but not great) and I really dont want to risk smoking again.

#5 Newdaddy77

Newdaddy77

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 12:36 AM

Hey man, I just saw this thread. 20 yr smoker. I'm on step 2 of the Walgreens brand patch..its been little over a month since I've had a cig. I experience the same irritations you do..the itching, swelling..sucks! It's worse when I put them in my hip area. But at the end of the day, these little itchy boxes on my skin are better than the alternative! I hope your doing well on your journey to being a non smoker!
  • Mona- likes this

#6 Nina

Nina

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 03:30 AM

Hey,

This is my third quit, and my second time using the patch. I get the same symptoms too. I've found that either aloe vera or Vitamin E in the form of Sesame Seed Oil or Grapeseed extract helps a lot. I just massage that in a couple of times a day and the red patches go away much faster.

I hope this helps!
-Nina
We're our own dragons as well as our own heroes, and we have to rescue ourselves from ourselves.
~Tom Robbins

Posted Image

#7 TheLucielu

TheLucielu

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 02:54 PM

I had the same problem the last time I tried to quit. My skin developed an allergic reaction to the adhesive on the patch. I was using an off brand. I also found that I can no longer wear bandaids. But, the good news is, I have quit again using a different kind of patch. Its the clear one. I forget the name, Nicotrol? Anyway I also decided to put it high up on my thigh. It is still a little red, but nothing compared to what it was. Good luck and wish me luck also. I really have to quit. My whole body is saying STOP!

#8 secondchance

secondchance

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 362 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 21 July 2012 - 02:17 PM

Hi Penny...I initially had the same issue when I started using the patch. It would'nt stay in place either. By the 5th day I had enough and stopped using it altogether. I was so tired of it all I just went cold turkey. Stay focused on your quit, you'll succeed! :D

Feb. 23, 2011~~I made a change in my life :D

#9 3rd-Time-Charm

3rd-Time-Charm

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • quitdate:
    08/09/13
  • LocationOrlando, FL

Posted 24 August 2013 - 09:30 PM

Okay, this may be a bit late... like a year late... but try an ice pack for about 20 to 30 minutes... Ice has a numbing effect, and it also helps to reduce any swelling associated with the itch.

I quit 2 weeks ago and used a different brand (Walgreens generic) that was also expired, but my doctor said it should still work.  No itch with that one, but today I used an un-expired name brand and it itched like crazy.  Checked online, and though the itching seems to last all the time with some people, with others it only lasts about ½ hour, and since I didn't get it with the first patches I used, I'm hoping this will only be a ½ hour thing for me... and during that ½ hour, I've had an ice pack on it, which has helped tremendously, but now it's time to remove the ice pack, so cross your fingers that the itch doesn't return.

"I choose to save my life and my money."  Charm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users