13 replies to this topic

#1 freshyoself

freshyoself

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 07:43 AM

So I've read this thing called the Post Acute Withdrawal Symptoms. Supposedly after the 3-4 weeks time frame, you get these withdrawal symptoms which are very different from the initial withdrawal of the first three days. Symptoms include Cognitive Impairment, which deals with your verbal expression: often appear uncertain, had difficulty being direct. Emotional Liability, unable to control your excitement or anger, inappropriate laughter. Memory problem, difficult to attain new information. Vision problems.

I'm day 51. For awhile I've got most of these symptoms on top of the physiological ones like runny nose, the tightness in chest, and the smokers flu, etc etc etc.
So far i think the worst of my problem is a social one. I'm usually a really go with the flow guy and can make someones day when they're feeling down, but since i quit smoking i became like a introvert. I could hardly understand what people are saying sometimes... is like i heard what they said but in reality i didn't hear a thing or it just isn't process in my brain. Another case would be I can't control my emotion in a social environment and I often end up making things awkward. I'm not craving for a cigarette or anything, i'm just really tired of things not going the way it should. In the post-acute withdrawal symptoms article said something like make sure to tell your friend and family that you have (P.A.W.S) and at times your actions and words doesnt match up to reality. Is true.. the things i do doesn't match up with anything, but the last thing i do is to tell someone who don't know how this feels about my reality. Anyway is just so You know because you all know how this feel. Keep going yall

#2 Guest_BenJammin_*

Guest_BenJammin_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 February 2012 - 08:12 AM

you just described me when I was a pot head. :lol:

#3 mesam6

mesam6

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • LocationPock

Posted 29 February 2012 - 09:05 AM

ha ha ha ha that was efking awesome. I did came through all of that in last 6 days man...I am on day 12 now. I felt like I will go mad if I don't smoke. Your post brought my life back. When I talk to higher management or clients, I feel nervous or the word come out like "joker talking in dark knight" :D aaaa...huuu and all...
Also, I feel like watch hell of movies and in next 15 minutes I feel like efking bored...no matter whether its Jason Statham or Bruce Willies lol. Sh.It man, I wan my life back really, I want my life back very badly excluded smoking... :)

#4 Suzanne

Suzanne

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
  • LocationSteeler Nation

Posted 29 February 2012 - 01:15 PM

Wow - exactly what I'm experiencing - thanks for sharing -does seem a bit less mystifying now.
Quit date 1.21.12

"Being a non smoker is not neutralizing a bad habit. It's loving a new habit, where smoking NEVER is an option" - contributed by breath - adopted by Suzanne

#5 ItchingGoat

ItchingGoat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 03:51 AM

This requires more study....I've had many of those symptoms. I was ready to see a doctor. I'm not myself. Thanks for the info!
Posted Image

#6 monojo

monojo

Work work work work work work

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,906 posts
  • quitdate:
    2012-01-14
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 01 March 2012 - 07:27 AM

Thanks for the info! ItchingGoat, you're right- these things do need to be studied more. Whenever I try to look up a symptom I have or had, most of them are not in any "official" information-- I can only find evidence of them on message boards. If I just looked at the "official" sites- even the Cancer Society and the Lung Association!- I would think that I was going batsh*t crazy right now. Thank goodness for this site and all of my fellow quitters! :D
Posted Image
Joanne
Quit date January 14, 2012

Know in your heart that you will NOT blow up or explode into tiny pieces if you don't have a cigarette. You might feel like a squirrel in a coffee can trapped in your own skin occasionally, but you won't blow up... and the feeling will go away pretty soon. -marciem

All you have to do to stay free for life, is this:
Right now, this moment, the instant of space-time that you occupy: choose not to take one puff. - Samalie0

#7 Webbo

Webbo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 01 March 2012 - 11:56 AM

True , everything is a generalization . That said if we have symptoms of anything unusual since quitting ,it may prove we must be ill otherwise we would smoke just to achieve our non ill normality :D I am so full of sh*t at the moment sorry :o
Posted Image

Nicotine Free since 15 Feb 2012

#8 ItchingGoat

ItchingGoat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 01:25 PM

Well, I have a very stressful life normally (as many of you know from some of my previous posts) but I have never been depressed. Since quitting I am so f ing depressed I don't recognize myself. I'm always tired, no motivation at ALL (thank god I don't have a job), I just cannot tolerate this anymore.

I started taking 6000mg fish oil (helps depression) as well as vit D3, B complex, iron, magnesium, calcium .....all things to help with mood. I'm confident I'll be better, but it can take a month or two for it all to start helping.

Also a well balanced diet. I never consume sugar but eat a pound of jolly ranchers now. That has to play a part in how I feel. Back to my veggies and chicken breast and tilapia, or any white fish. I think those of us experiencing symptoms should evaluate our diets. I've just been too LAZY to do anything about it earlier, lol.

It's good to know, however that I'm not nuts (well, completely lol). I'm glad I'm not alone in these symptoms. I was reading some of my posts here, thinking to myself "that's not quite what I meant to say", or, "that doesn't even make much sense!" I've been sounding like a major tool at times, making no sense!

These symptoms just solidify what a wonderful decision I have made for myself and my family. Anything capable of reducing my IQ to that of a turnip is definitely a dangerous drug!
Posted Image

#9 ladymember

ladymember

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,481 posts
  • quitdate:
    2012-02-06
  • LocationOhio, USA

Posted 01 March 2012 - 02:16 PM

I too am glad I do not have a job at the moment - because of lack of concentration.
I have no motivation at all here either. I sit here for hours and think, do something, go somewhere, just move!
I have suffered from mild depression in the past, but nothing major.
This is about the same I guess.
Mainly just so bored.
Well there is that laundry to do...... naw not today.
Or the car with ashes on the floor to clean.....naw maybe in a few days when its warmer. (it was almost 70 in ohio yesterday.......did I do it? noooooo)
The kitchen floor needs washed.......yeah tomorrow.

It seems I do the candy thing most of the morning and late evenings the most.
After my bad episode with the gastric problems, no more sugar-free for me. lol
Now its red hots and tic tacs. At least they are little. lol

For dinner, I usually make healthy meals. Lean meat & veggies and sometimes a side of fruit.
But lately for breakfast and lunch, not so much healthy.
Ladymember

Posted Image

I Quit: 3 Packs a day
Quit Date: February 6, 2012 @ 1 am

#10 ItchingGoat

ItchingGoat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 02:30 PM

Omgosh, Lori! That's exactly how I am! Your post made me giggle because it is SO me :D
Posted Image

#11 ladymember

ladymember

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,481 posts
  • quitdate:
    2012-02-06
  • LocationOhio, USA

Posted 01 March 2012 - 03:37 PM

Well we did quit the same day! lol
Ladymember

Posted Image

I Quit: 3 Packs a day
Quit Date: February 6, 2012 @ 1 am

#12 stasa

stasa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,023 posts
  • LocationBelgrade, Serbia

Posted 01 March 2012 - 05:06 PM

Well, I cannot deny I feel a little bit dumb...lazier at home...but work is a total disaster! Concentration zero and I need it so much! :x My mind is confused. It's like a mashed potato! But a man has got to do what a man has got to do, right? :wink:
Stasha

Posted Image
Quit date: 31 January 2012

Think left and think right and think low and think high. Oh, the thinks you can think up if only you try!
Dr. Seuss

#13 freshyoself

freshyoself

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 07:58 PM

With all that said, now whenever i feel like i messed up on conversation or make the wrong decision i just tell myself "I gotta keep rolling with the punches". It reminds me to move on and not to dwell upon it for too long. This helps me become more alert to anticipate whatever is coming next. i'm tired of it. I don't want to let one thing that goes bad to determine the rest of my day. Thank you all for sharing I really thought i was the only one. Keep ya head up!

#14 ItchingGoat

ItchingGoat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 08:02 PM

Thank YOU for sharing. I thought I was losing it, lol
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users