7 replies to this topic

#1 Inquistadora

Inquistadora

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 06:06 AM

It is fairly easy to keep track of how much one smokes by counting how many were consumed in a day, but this doesn't seem to be so simple with the ecigs. For example, if I have seven different flavors, I could vape to excess without emptying a cartridge. Conversely, I could empty a lot of cartridges whilst vaping only a little if they were all nearly empty to begin with.

When switching to a lower mg/mL liquid, how does a person check to make sure they actually stepping their daily nicotine intake down?

#2 saraf3m

saraf3m

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 04:48 PM

I use a method where I "drip" directly onto the atomizer, no cartridge. I use 2-3 drops, which is ~equal to a cigarette (10-15 puffs) and I count how many times I "drip" per day so as to track how much I'm using the ecig. (you can calculate how many drops you are putting into your cartridge and divide by 2.5 to get an approx # of cigs you've chained, or time how long it takes you to go through a single full cartridge so that you can guesstimate how much you are using if you're switching between cartridges...I use ~1cig in 5-10 min, or 1 in 7.5min if I'm doing a count over a span of time)

I step down my nicotine level after I'm comfortable with my current step down, and see how it goes from there. I try not to be comfortable for more then a week at a time. There have been times when a really bad craving required more "use" - so I used a level or two less then what I'm currently on, or if I just need a jolt to "reset" I use it 1x with a level I came down from and then switch back the next time I use it so as not to get readjusted back to a previous level.

Sounds tedious but the practice, once you're in motion, is easier then in words and its always in the direction of lowering while staying off the "real" thing. hth :)

#3 saraf3m

saraf3m

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 09:53 PM

Thank you, and I agree, it is one day at a time. It took me about 2 weeks to be cleansed of the smoke particles and detox from the other 4,000+ chemicals in the cigarettes, and months to finally get rid of the rest of the smoke and triggers in my life. One day at a time, and I'll hopefully be at 0 nic by New Years :). Thanks for the support.

#4 Inquistadora

Inquistadora

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 08:20 AM

I use a method where I "drip" directly onto the atomizer, no cartridge. I use 2-3 drops, which is ~equal to a cigarette (10-15 puffs) and I count how many times I "drip" per day so as to track how much I'm using the ecig. (you can calculate how many drops you are putting into your cartridge and divide by 2.5 to get an approx # of cigs you've chained, or time how long it takes you to go through a single full cartridge so that you can guesstimate how much you are using if you're switching between cartridges...I use ~1cig in 5-10 min, or 1 in 7.5min if I'm doing a count over a span of time)

I step down my nicotine level after I'm comfortable with my current step down, and see how it goes from there. I try not to be comfortable for more then a week at a time. There have been times when a really bad craving required more "use" - so I used a level or two less then what I'm currently on, or if I just need a jolt to "reset" I use it 1x with a level I came down from and then switch back the next time I use it so as not to get readjusted back to a previous level.

Sounds tedious but the practice, once you're in motion, is easier then in words and its always in the direction of lowering while staying off the "real" thing. hth :)

Thanks! That sounds similar to keeping track of gas usage in the car. I'm glad to hear you think it is easier to do than descibe, LOL.

#5 Inquistadora

Inquistadora

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 08:27 AM

a huge part of the smoking addiction is the "rituals", as well as procuring the paraphernalia and the time wasted obsessing and actually "using"....as well as STILL enslaved--puffing the nicotine.

True freedom from the addiction to smoking is to cease "puffing the nicotine" as well as ceasing the nicotine and ceasing the puffing....

Get ride of all THAT and you can begin to truly walk in the freedom of the quit...."one day at a time" NOT ONE PUFF.....will put you behind the above insanity and into living life on life's terms—addiction-free....Now I know some of you e-smokers here SAY you are trying to get off of it, however with no definitive "end" there really isn't an "end" and your body still has the drug in it that it continually craves and also your body will forever crave the FULL amount of nicotine—putting you in continual withdrawal....I did not make up the laws of addiction—free yourselves asap from the puffing of the nicotine and you can truly be free and truly quit....

katiem

So true! It is so hard to put that in positive terms, though. "I want to live my life just doing the things I want to do" that's the closest I come to stating in in 100% affirmative terms.

Good heavens, when I was smoking a pack and a half a day, that was seven hours of my life every day being compromised. Only wasting 2-3 hours seems great right now, but I want ALL my time back! Every minute!

#6 Pickles

Pickles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • LocationIreland

Posted 02 December 2011 - 12:29 AM

I have started using my e cig without nicotine. Just glycerine but I added a few crushed dried chillies to the bottle to give a little flavour and kick and it is grand. I now have to work on getting rid of the ritual. I am so pleased this little prop has released me from tobacco. I don't think i could have stuck giving up without it. I have no desire at all to use tobacco. :D
Posted Image
Quit Date 7th November 2011

#7 Wintering

Wintering

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Posted 03 December 2011 - 01:33 AM

I have started using my e cig without nicotine. Just glycerine but I added a few crushed dried chillies to the bottle to give a little flavour and kick and it is grand. I now have to work on getting rid of the ritual. I am so pleased this little prop has released me from tobacco. I don't think i could have stuck giving up without it. I have no desire at all to use tobacco. :D

Hi Pickles, and welcome! Wow, that's great ...... and how interesting! I never would have thought about adding chillies! My first try was a little hint of cinnamon or pepperment. :) (I use to smoke menthols)

Yep, I sure do understand what you mean about the "ritual". Somehow, the psychological addiction is even more powerful than the physical addiction.

Please be sure to let us know how you're doing! Well done!

#8 saraf3m

saraf3m

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 06:07 PM

I love the chilli pepper idea! I might try that next. Like winter I went with the strong mints for higher cravings. I just came across someone who gave this advice:

"If you use one flavor, 2 parts of 12 to 1 of 6 gets 10mg, 1 12 to 1 6 is 9mg, 2 parts 6 to 1 part 12 is 8mg.

Easier to do those smaller drops than going directly from 12 to 6. "

I think they are talking about cutting nicotine liquid with either straight PG or VG.
This also reminded me that there are calculators to help cut down the nic in the liquids like this one: http://www.e-cig-rev...calculator.html

I find that VG (vegetable glycerine) is easier to get (CVS, Walmart, etc) then PG is and its on the label for USP grade 99% pure (same for cooking/consumption). VG is thicker, so I use distilled water to thin liquids if the flavor I add isn't enough to thin it

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users