18 replies to this topic

#1 Inquistadora

Inquistadora

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 03:17 AM

There must be ten million people trying to quit smoking right now this very minute, and at least 1/10th of them are trying to do it using ecigs. Somebody mentioned that people are away for the holidays, but for me the holidays were the perfect quit time. I cannot think I am alone. Why aren't there more people here?

#2 greenlover

greenlover

"REALLY"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,458 posts
  • quitdate:
    12/04/2011
  • LocationLiving with the Amish

Posted 23 November 2011 - 03:22 AM

What more E cig type??? maybe their staying on their own private board & giving this place a break :D

#3 Inquistadora

Inquistadora

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 03:37 AM

That's a theory. I was over there for a week (I assume you mean ECF) before I noticed there were few others who wanted to quit besides the lucky ones who magically stopped right off, and oh! dear! there was no subforum for those of us who were not so lucky.

Thanks for replying :)

#4 MrsTerriJane

MrsTerriJane

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 03:41 AM

do you have a question? i probably wont be able to answer it since im only on day two, but i'm pretty good at encouragement if you need that.

#5 Inquistadora

Inquistadora

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 03:48 AM

Yes, I DO need encouragement, thank you! I've been using ecigs for 6 days now, but I haven't stopped smoking. I think I can, I hope I can, but encouraging words would be helpful.

#6 MrsTerriJane

MrsTerriJane

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 03:57 AM

there were a few times today when i thought about smoking, but i resisted and didnt do it. the truth be told i didnt really have a hard time resisting. it was more about just taking a break from my desk than smoking. LOL. I think you can do this. Why dont you set a date to stop the reg. cigs and just go with the ecig? then set your next target date to start cutting back on the nic. While I'm positive the ecig is going to be " my wat" to quit, i think its still going to take some planning and willpower. Dont you wish there was just a magic pill or something? Why did I ever start smokimg in the first place?

#7 Inquistadora

Inquistadora

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 04:10 AM

Dont you wish there was just a magic pill or something? Why did I ever start smokimg in the first place?

I hear you! I also wish for a time machine to snatch that first cigarette away. If you don't smoke that first one . . .

#8 saraf3m

saraf3m

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 05:23 AM

My 1st cigarette was awful...well the 1st time I inhaled. I did nothing but cough and I wanted to puke. I should've been smart enough to take that as a sign :( Stupid teenage angst/image/acceptance/blah!

#9 Samalie0

Samalie0

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts
  • LocationBeyond The Sun

Posted 23 November 2011 - 01:07 PM

In a nutshell, while we do have this e-cig subforum...it is not heavily viewed by a majority of members of this board who have no experience with e-cigs as a quit method.

The ECF is the real source on e-cig information. And personally, I find it rather....telling...that they don't have a "Quit Smoking" forum there. Makes everyone a little leary about the effectiveness.
Free since January 7, 2009

#10 Wintering

Wintering

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Posted 23 November 2011 - 01:18 PM

There must be ten million people trying to quit smoking right now this very minute, and at least 1/10th of them are trying to do it using ecigs. Somebody mentioned that people are away for the holidays, but for me the holidays were the perfect quit time. I cannot think I am alone. Why aren't there more people here?

Hi Inquistadora! Gosh, it is a little on the slowish side, but we sure do have our moments! :wink: In the grand scheme of things, this subforum is on the new-ish side, so I think we'll slowly begin to grow.

How are you doing? Like another member mentioned, I'd suggest setting an actually quit date for your last cigarette. Once you're completely off the smokes, then we can start working on becoming completely nicotine free. Yay!

#11 Marvitta

Marvitta

Free & Healing

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,096 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 23 November 2011 - 02:19 PM

Yes, I DO need encouragement, thank you! I've been using ecigs for 6 days now, but I haven't stopped smoking. I think I can, I hope I can, but encouraging words would be helpful.

I don't usually post over here because I don't know about ecigs or using them to quit but encouragement I CAN give you and I agree with the two helpful (Wintering and the one earlier) posters about having a plan! It sounds like you have cut back a lot and maybe just need to totally get cigs out of the picture !
From what you posted here it sounds like you really want to quit everything so just set a clear date to be nic free and stick with it !!

You can get the toxins and the nicotine out of your life just keep a positive attitude and keep moving toward your goal!!
I wish you the best with the method you have chosen to quit!

Just take it one day at a time and you will achieve the goal you set! :D

Hope this helps you in some small way,
Marvitta :)
(I started about age six and smoked over fourty years.... anyone can quit!)

Smoke & Nicotine free since 7/19/2011
~~~~The Day I Quit!~~~~

If You Are Going Though Hell, Keep Going ~ Winston S. Churchill
~~One Foot In Front Of The Other Gets You Where Your Going~~

~~~~~Life is What Happens When You Are Making Other Plans~~~~~ John Lennon

#12 Inquistadora

Inquistadora

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 05:26 PM

"One other thing I can say about this addiction, as it seems you are truly wanting to be free from it.....and that IS what it is all about, you must want to be free from it MORE than you want to do it...."

That is a very insightful comment, katiem. In all my dozens of previous quit attempts, that's been my stumbling block, especially sustaining that stronger desire for freedom. It is strongest in the morning, because smoking is a nuisance then: it wastes valuable time, promotes clutter, and really, I have a hard enough time remembering my house keys. I don't need the added complication of inventorying my smoking supplies (and that's worse now as my mental checklist has to encompass whether the batteries are charged, are the cartridges full, and did I take amusing flavors). Then too, although my morning smoker's cough is lightyears better now, I still have that urgent reminder that smoking is bad.

Every time I've tried to quit, I've tended to do well in the mornings, which I always found mysterious as the cravings are strongest then. I'll have to find some way to keep that strong desire for freedom going all day.

#13 Wintering

Wintering

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Posted 23 November 2011 - 06:00 PM

Every time I've tried to quit, I've tended to do well in the mornings, which I always found mysterious as the cravings are strongest then. I'll have to find some way to keep that strong desire for freedom going all day.

Hi Inquistadora, boy do I ever agree with you! The mornings were the most physically challenging for me, but it was the evening that was mentally challenging. I would wake up, raring to tackle this beast, but by the end of the day when I'm not keeping myself busy / distracted .... that was my most difficult time.

It sure sounds like you've got your heart and mind made up to achieve freedom! Good for you! You can do it!

Wintering

#14 Inquistadora

Inquistadora

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 06:08 PM

@ MrsTerriJane, Wintering, katiem, Marvitta re plan -

Good point about making a plan. As I said elsewhere, I tried ecigs on a whim with no expectation they would help me, so I didn't have a plan, ohmygosh. I guess that's part of what has me so frantic at times; if I just let events unfold, there is the danger of substituting a new habit for an old one.

Ok, let's see.

Step 1: Quit cigarettes. I will do this tomorrow. Tomorrow is an excellent day because I will run out today (so there will be no rummaging through the trash to retrieve what I threw out, LOL, I've done this before, I know what I do), the stores that sell my brand will be closed, and I will be busy all day visiting my family.

Step 2: Relocate my laptop in one of the non-smoking rooms. No wait, why don't I do that now? That would help a lot. I may as well clean up my soon-to-be-former smoking areas today while I'm at it.

Step 3: Check out the 12 mg/mL liquid and see if I find that satisfactory. If so, switch over and order some 6 mg/mL. If not???? No, I want to believe I can switch to the 12 mg/mL fairly soon.

OK, well that's as much of a plan as I can come up with right now. I'll have a better idea what I'm up against once the 12 mg/mL liquid arrives. Thanks for the support and ideas, everybody!

#15 MrsTerriJane

MrsTerriJane

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 06:35 PM

WAY TO GO. We can be quit buddies! The 12 is working for me, and Im excited to see how the 6 will be. Yipeeeeee we are on our way to FREEDOM.

#16 Wintering

Wintering

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Posted 23 November 2011 - 06:45 PM

Good point about making a plan. As I said elsewhere, I tried ecigs on a whim with no expectation they would help me, so I didn't have a plan, ohmygosh. I guess that's part of what has me so frantic at times; if I just let events unfold, there is the danger of substituting a new habit for an old one.

Okay, since tomorrow is the big day (yay you!) I'd suggest writing down every single reason why you are going to be a non-smoker. Every single reason - health, money, etc. (You may have a few week moments remembering how easy cigarettes were - so you're going to need motivation.) Then, make sure to clean everything. Chuck those ashtrays, get rid of the lighters, and wash your clothes. Yikes, I couldn't believe how much my clothes stunk of cigarette smoke. Yuck! And, perhaps a bottle of Fabreeze to spray your house. :)

It sounds like you have the main task already accomplished - you are determined to be a non-smoker. It's going to be a Thankful Day!

#17 MrsTerriJane

MrsTerriJane

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 07:25 PM

Oh...and if you do get a crave...post an SOS to the board and get support. I will make a special effort to monitor the board even in the midst of my normal family chaos..heck, you better monitor for me in case I have to post an SOS. If anything can do it, it's being around all of my family all at the same time! LOL--we are all loud, obnoxious, and opinionated. We love each other of course but by the end of the day....let's just say I'm happy to get there and even happier to leave!
Have a wonderful Thanksgiving---

#18 Inquistadora

Inquistadora

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 08:23 PM

Update: All went well until I was driving home and remembered I had an 'emergency' pack stashed in the car :!: I think I've got them stowed all over, as if I had been possessed by a squirrel. Clearly, I have more prep work to do.

12 mg/mL seemed just as satisfactory to me as 18 mg/mL, so I'll be ordering some 6 mg/mL to see how that goes.

Thanks everybody for your thoughts and support!

#19 sqirl1

sqirl1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 09:06 PM

Update: All went well until I was driving home and remembered I had an 'emergency' pack stashed in the car :!: I think I've got them stowed all over, as if I had been possessed by a squirrel. Clearly, I have more prep work to do.

12 mg/mL seemed just as satisfactory to me as 18 mg/mL, so I'll be ordering some 6 mg/mL to see how that goes.

Thanks everybody for your thoughts and support!

If you think you can do 6mg, get 4mg as well, there's not much of a difference between the 2 of them. If you're trying to step it down, get 4. More suppliers have 4mg than 6mg, don't me why, they just do.

EDIT: also another thing I thought of that you could do if you're trying to step it down is, you could order a bottle of 0mg if you're doing juice and continually dilute your higher strengths with the 0mg. this way if you get down to 4mg but you want to go lower than that even, you can just dilute it with some 0mg juice to make it 2mg.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users