15 replies to this topic

#1 Deeby

Deeby

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 16 November 2011 - 12:28 AM

Does anyone know what the secret in his quit smoking method is supposed to be? I can't afford the book.
Of course the website won't divulge THE GREAT SECRET without investing a hundred dollars or so.

#2 TMcGee

TMcGee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,691 posts
  • LocationEncinitas, California

Posted 16 November 2011 - 12:36 AM

Does anyone know what the secret in his quit smoking method is supposed to be? I can't afford the book.
Of course the website won't divulge THE GREAT SECRET without investing a hundred dollars or so.

http://www.quitsmoki...ncarr/index.htm

The book is available from the parent site of this forum.

You CAN afford cigarettes and e-cigarettes, but CAN'T afford a $12.95 book????? :roll:

Skip
Quit July 15, 2007

#3 Deeby

Deeby

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 16 November 2011 - 12:59 AM

No, I have no job, and only a dollar and some change in the world. A friend lent me the $11 for the liquid, not that it's any of your business.
The rolling eyes thing was hurtful.

#4 greenlover

greenlover

"REALLY"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,458 posts
  • quitdate:
    12/04/2011
  • LocationLiving with the Amish

Posted 16 November 2011 - 01:21 AM

Hey :roll: don't blame Skip for stating that after all not working is the perfect excuse to lite up/vap but usually when unemployed you're barely able to survive let alone smoke. Maybe this guys unemployment pays better then michigan.

#5 Harnessed

Harnessed

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 04:19 AM

Hey don't blame Skip for stating that after all not working is the perfect excuse to lite up/vap but usually when unemployed you're barely able to survive let alone smoke.

You kinda remind me of the indian that made all those round arrowheads...

He also failed at making points.

Posted Image

#6 greenlover

greenlover

"REALLY"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,458 posts
  • quitdate:
    12/04/2011
  • LocationLiving with the Amish

Posted 16 November 2011 - 04:28 AM

WAs i addressing you???? :roll: its just common sense-when you're broke you don't smoke & yes I can understand the excuse/reason "stress" but still. Why don't you be a nice guy & mail him some vap juice :lol:

#7 Harnessed

Harnessed

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 04:34 AM

Awww...You're always on the attack, Beth!

I know you and I could get along. We already have a couple of things in common.

:D

#8 Wintering

Wintering

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Posted 16 November 2011 - 04:52 PM

Hi Deeby, yep, I actually bought the book (waste of money) and read it a few times. There is no secret, it's more of a psychological thing, where he continues to tell you the same thing over and over again. I guess it's helped some people, but not me.

#9 SnoopyFish

SnoopyFish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 07:21 PM

Hi Deeby, yep, I actually bought the book (waste of money) and read it a few times. There is no secret, it's more of a psychological thing, where he continues to tell you the same thing over and over again. I guess it's helped some people, but not me.

So the book basically tries to turn you into a robot? I can see it has really worked around here haha.

#10 Dutch

Dutch

Quit date 6/25/08

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,312 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 16 November 2011 - 07:55 PM

Deeby, it's not a great secret. The book tries to adjust your attitude towards quitting smoking. That you're not giving up a friend, you're quitting something that in reality has got you hooked to a life of sickness, suffering and premature death. If there was a "great secret", I would have retired a billionaire decades ago.

As long as you "battle" with your quit and long for the days of "ahhh, man do I miss smoking", you'll likely never quit. You can't win the battle with nicotine, you simply have to quit fighting and celebrate that that's the victory- that you're FREE and there's nothing else like it. Once you experience that feeling, the feeling that there's nothing, no one, no way, no how, you'll ever want to take that drug ever again, you're done forever.

Free since June 25, 2008

#11 Samalie0

Samalie0

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts
  • LocationBeyond The Sun

Posted 16 November 2011 - 08:36 PM

I thought the book was crap personally. I know though it has helped some people out.

Honestly...in my own personal opinion, the biggest thing you can do to help you quit smoking is education. Understand the "mechanics" of addiction in general, and nicotine addiction specifically. Learn, understand, that (despite some people's claim to the contrary) that nicotine hoesn't really provide you with any benefits. It doesn't make the bad things any better. It doesn't relax you, or make you calm (other than the fact that you are feeding your own withdrawl symptoms, which yes, using nicotine will relieve). It is, to quote the library, "the illusion of Ahhhhhhh".

If you can make yourself grasp that concept and see it for the truth, then quite honestly quitting nicotine is easy. Sure, you will go through physical and psycological withdrawl, but when you understand it it becaomes easier to deal with.

Alan Carr's book tries to discuss the illusion and, to put it bluntly, program that change in your mind. It works for some, it doesn't for others...and really, overall, the information contained in the book is available elsewhere for free.

Check out the newbit package on the main board for more info, and links to some great quit smoking & quit nicotine resources.
Free since January 7, 2009

#12 Stephanie

Stephanie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,110 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 16 November 2011 - 10:12 PM

I read the book, it is free online and this is a set up I think, the book is not a miracle cure, neither is the ecig, and as for the book, if you are really interested, I read it after I quit for years, out of curiosity, and the folks here gave me the same stuff, the TRUTH. When we admit we are addicts and treat the disease fully, not just the physical, the mental and the physical...and reach out for support daily, we can all be free.

Steph
:D
We are all Brothers
None goes his way alone
What we bring into the lives of others
Comes back into our own

my first free moment was 10/18/05 at 11:58 pm.
a very fine moment, and I did not even know it then.

#13 Inquistadora

Inquistadora

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 02:22 AM

I think Alan Carr's book is worth a read by anyone who is trying to quit. You can find early editions to read for free on the web if you keep clicking down the Google search page long enough.

It isn't going to be MY sticky quit method because it is similar to the method I use every time I catch a cold/flu/sinus infection and I already know I can't extend it. Some people claim it is a Jedi Mind Trick that only works once; my experience suggests otherwise.

Like every other quit method, if it works for YOU, then it is the BEST quit method!

#14 EaglesWing

EaglesWing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 09:43 AM

I read the book because soo many people said it was such a BIG help to them. My personal opinion was that he spent too much time
in the book bragging on himself. I think about half the book was him talking about HIS way and if you didn't succeeed it was because
you didn't do it right! :roll: But there were some good things in there too! I'd rate it a 3 star rating.

#15 Procrastinator

Procrastinator

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 06:18 AM

That book was the first thing I read when I started "trying" to quit. Helped me adjust my attitude and get ready to quit, but didn't magically make me a nonsmoker like it claimed it would.

I got my copy free from the local library. No big deal giving it back since it's mainly reminders of common sense ideas, not specific techniques or factual details.
Nonsmoker since Dec. 10, 2011.

Posted Image

#16 HotRodMomma

HotRodMomma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 17 January 2012 - 10:05 PM

I read it, I have it...and I personally think it sets you up for a tougher quit.

IMO, it makes you feel like you are a failure just for thinking or admitting you miss smoking and would like a smoke. Of course you miss that habit in the beginning...that is human nature. But the book seems to think differently..

Once I realized I could admit I missed "my habit", and I was not a failure for doing so.....the quit continued alot easier.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users