"REALLY"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,458 posts
  • quitdate:
    12/04/2011
  • LocationLiving with the Amish

Posted 20 October 2011 - 02:25 AM

Well since I've done everything short of begging Fred to remove this section of the forum I've been doing alot of thinking on why does this section bother me besides the fact I sooooooooooooooooo resent my Dr. NOT giving me the idea of using E cigs to continue my deadly habit. Its like everyday I fight the urge to stay free & I wonder would I be happier vaping on an E cig & yeah I would cause after all I'd be feeding my addiction so of course I'd be happier but then the drawback-here for over 2 yrs I've been wanting to learn to love to be cig addiction free & every once in awhile throw away a quit hoping that somehow I can smoke again but that heart attack & having stents pretty much let me know that smoking isn't a choice anymore so once that really sunk in thats when I decided to try really being free & hope that someday to be thrilled with not being a nic slave like so many old pharte who post here are enjoying their quits & wouldn't trade it for anything-someday I'd love to feel like that. :D To me that why I see this as such a threat to new quitters,after all alot of people aren't sure about quitting so planting the idea of an "OUT" on a quit site just seems wrong to me.

#2 Thulium

Thulium

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 03:00 AM

Well since I've done everything short of begging Fred to remove this section of the forum I've been doing alot of thinking on why does this section bother me besides the fact I sooooooooooooooooo resent my Dr. NOT giving me the idea of using E cigs to continue my deadly habit. Its like everyday I fight the urge to stay free & I wonder would I be happier vaping on an E cig & yeah I would cause after all I'd be feeding my addiction so of course I'd be happier but then the drawback-here for over 2 yrs I've been wanting to learn to love to be cig addiction free & every once in awhile throw away a quit hoping that somehow I can smoke again but that heart attack & having stents pretty much let me know that smoking isn't a choice anymore so once that really sunk in thats when I decided to try really being free & hope that someday to be thrilled with not being a nic slave like so many old pharte who post here are enjoying their quits & wouldn't trade it for anything-someday I'd love to feel like that. :D To me that why I see this as such a threat to new quitters,after all alot of people aren't sure about quitting so planting the idea of an "OUT" on a quit site just seems wrong to me.

I'm pretty happy with just 2 years of having no desire to smoke, but if that's not your idea of freedom, e-cigarettes can still be part of a plan to completely quit smoking and nicotine (and vaping, if you want). It's fairly easy to give up nicotine if you aren't smoking, and its pretty easy to give up vaping if you aren't dependent on nicotine. Voila! If you want to be completely done with everything to do with the former habit, e-cigarettes can help you get there if that's how you want to use them. Not everybody uses them that way, and in fact it is probably safe to say that MOST people who use e-cigarettes may not intend to stop using nicotine...but it's also safe to say that most people who stop using nicotine (even cold turkey) end up relapsing. That doesn't mean that you can't completely quit without being doomed to resume the habit, but it does mean that if you do mess up your quit, you'll be exposed to more tar and carcinogens from just ONE cigarette than from using pharmaceutical grade nicotine in an e-cigarette for every day for 15 years...but with an e-cig, you can at least wait to quit nicotine until you are sure that you won't start SMOKING if the cravings for nicotine become more than your willpower will bear.

Since your goal is to ultimately become completely free of all things tobacco related, just quitting cold turkey is absolutely your best chance of success. Follow the advice on this board and there is nothing stopping you from becoming one of those "old phartes" you admire--even if some people on the QuitSmoking.com message board use e-cigarettes to quit smoking! 8)

Really, it sounds to me like your problem is that e-cigarettes are TEMPTING to you even though you want to remain nicotine free. ....Perhaps you would enjoy using a personal vaporizer without nicotine to fall back on if you ever get an overwhelming desire for something to puff, but don't want to lose your quit to nicotine? I'm pretty sure you'll do fine in keeping your quit without one, but the option is there for you if you need it. Is that so terrible?
Is there any reason whatsoever to believe that smoke-free products that may contain an addictive psychostimulant but have not been approved by the FDA as a smoking cessation aid pose a greater public health risk than sugar-free products that may contain an addictive psychostimulant but have not been approved by the FDA as a weight loss aid?

#3 greenlover

greenlover

"REALLY"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,458 posts
  • quitdate:
    12/04/2011

Posted 21 October 2011 - 03:27 AM

Well when I see my dr. in a few wks I'll ask him what his take is on using E cigs to quit smoking-who knows maybe using a nic free e cig could be considered a real quit aid since it is allowed their own forum here so their must be some truth in trying to quit this way even tho to me it still feds the addiction something has to change. I know being free techinily for more then a yr shows me I can do this & if I'd just wait out the next 6-8 months I can feel like I did before giving my quit up last july. Its nice knowing how good it can be it just bites waiting to get there again :cry: I think what makes me so discouraged is my breathing-I guess I figured my breathing especially after a yr would be so good but it seems like that never gets better which is because I have trouble finding inhalers that not only work but I can afford-I'm just tired of feeling so tired cause of my breathing-that seems to be the one real drawback from having that heartattck besides the panic attacks.

#4 Thulium

Thulium

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 08:23 AM

Well when I see my dr. in a few wks I'll ask him what his take is on using E cigs to quit smoking-who knows maybe using a nic free e cig could be considered a real quit aid since it is allowed their own forum here so their must be some truth in trying to quit this way even tho to me it still feds the addiction something has to change.

Keep in mind that the difference between e-cigs as a form of "Tobacco Harm Reduction" (the term for replacing the habit with something less harmful, rather than quitting entirely--other examples of harm reduction are: Seatbelts & airbags, birth control & condoms, needle exchanges & methadone clinics, etc) and an FDA approved "real quit aid" really boils down to marketing. In reality, there is nearly no difference between Nicorette Lozenges and dissolvable tobacco products like Ariva, Stonewall, and Camel Orbs except that pharmaceutical products are required to have instructions on how to use them for 12 weeks to quit smoking and tobacco products are required to have a warning that says "This product is not a safe alternative to smoking." (Of course they're not "safe"--NOTHING in this life is 100% safe, but the FDA has known since at least the 1970's that all forms of smokeless tobacco cause at least 95% fewer diseases than smoking).

In order for a product to receive FDA approval, you pretty much need a GIANT drug company's budget to pay for clinical trials (and grease any palms, give cushy jobs to FDA regulators, etc) to prove that it is "safe and effective" for its intended clinical use. In order to protect the market for drug companies, the FDA tried to pull e-cigarettes from the market until they were "approved" under these rules as a form of nicotine cessation therapy...but several manufacturers sued and won an injunction against the FDA because they don't market their products as a therapeutic way to quit smoking, they market their product as a smoke-free alternative to recreational cigarettes and so there is no reason that they need to be held to the much higher standards for pharmaceutical products since they are meant to compete with smoking CIGARETTES that obviously did not have to be proven "safe and effective" before the FDA approved them.

To me, the best thing about products like e-cigarettes is that--regardless if they are sold with the cigarettes or with the medicines--they can be used however you want: If you want to use one exactly like an NRT for 12 weeks as part of a plan to completely quit smoking and nicotine, or if you want to use them exactly like combustible cigarettes with no plans to ever quit, or you can make some sort of personalized hybrid plan or something else entirely.... Pretty much EVERY aspect of using a personal vaporizer is customizable: If you want it to look like a cigarette or look NOTHING like a cigarette you can. If you want it taste like a cigarette or taste NOTHING like a cigarette, you can. If you want it to have as much or more of a nicotine "kick" as a cigarette or if you want to use it without nicotine at all, you can. Because of this, you can literally tear down your "habit" into its individual parts and then reassemble it into whatever you want.

You said, "something has to change" and you are exactly right! ALL of it can change if that is what you want. The most important thing, IMO, is to just stop SMOKING. Nicotine is not a carcinogen, its just the addictive stimulant that keeps most of us coming back to cigarettes to get it. Nicotine or tobacco or not, almost all the REAL problems associated with using tobacco can be traced back to the inherent dangers of lighting something on fire and inhaling the byproducts 100's of times a day. Most of the THOUSANDS of different chemicals in smoke that are really dangerous, are the products of combustion, and the risks of fires, burns, tar, carbon monoxide poisoning, cancer, lung disease, heart disease, stinky clothes, harm to bystanders, and pretty much all of the things that made you want to quit smoking are caused, not by the nicotine or tobacco...but by lighting it on fire and inhaling the SMOKE. The problem with smoking is not so much what you are smoking, but the SMOKE ITSELF is what kills you! So as long as you aren't smoking--whatever it takes, if you have to put on white face paint and pantomime the act of smoking in order to avoid smoking, I say go for it: just don't smoke. Once you are not smoking, tackling your dependence on nicotine is trivial. Some people seem to need to use nicotine for longer than 12 weeks to avoid smoking, and some people can drop the nicotine on day 1 and never look back. Whatever. I don't sell nicotine and really don't care one way or the other if you feel the need to continue using nicotine or not, what I care about is helping people avoid the chronic and deadly diseases caused by inhaling smoke...

I know being free techinily for more then a yr shows me I can do this & if I'd just wait out the next 6-8 months I can feel like I did before giving my quit up last july. Its nice knowing how good it can be it just bites waiting to get there again :cry:

I'm not a doctor or a psychologist, but it sounds like you're doing fine without e-cigarettes. I'll support your quit either way, but if you are struggling to keep your quit and think that using an e-cigarette might help, here's my advice: Make a list of pros & cons. On one side write down everything that you liked about smoking--be as honest as you can and write down all the situations where you liked to smoke, any benefits that it might have given you (if any), and any aspect that you honestly enjoyed about the habit. On the other side, write down all the things you DIDN'T like about smoking--again write down everything you can think of...not just the "might die from cancer" things that are easy for a nicotine addicted brain to ignore, but ALL the downsides: the nagging coughs, the lingering smells, the holes in clothes, the shortness of breath, etc. Once you are satisfied with the lists, try crossing out all the things that are specifically caused by SMOKE and/or FIRE and look at what is left because that will tell you what to look for in finding a smoke(& nicotine?)-free alternative. Maybe the right alternative isn't an e-cigarette at all, maybe the right alternative for you is learning a new hobby, or chewing on gum, or having something to fidget with in your hands, or ?? Once again, I don't really care about that, but I do care about you and I support your quit no matter what method you use.

I think what makes me so discouraged is my breathing-I guess I figured my breathing especially after a yr would be so good but it seems like that never gets better which is because I have trouble finding inhalers that not only work but I can afford-

The propylene glycol used in e-cigarettes is used in some asthma inhalers and studies as far back as 1943 have shown it to be a safe and effective germicide. It is used in air sanitizers like "Ozium" to clean the air in schools and hospitals and sold in some smoke shops to eliminate the odors of smoke. Like I said above, it isn't approved FDA approved for any therapeutic uses so I'm not making any promises...but considering that 1800W fog machines use the exact same ingredients in MUCH higher quantities and have not, to my knowledge, caused any serious harm to anyone, there is very little room for a <10W e-cig to hurt anyone even if you tried. :P

If you decide to try using an e-cig without nicotine, here's a few things to keep in mind: When propylene glycol(PG is heated into a vapor, it causes the moisture in the air to condense into the visible fog. This means that if you don't drink a bit of water it is possible to get a bit of dry mouth or a sore throat, so stay hydrated! Although rare, some people are sensitive to PG but generally those people can use vegetable glycerine (VG) based e-liquids without any problem. Nearly every food flavoring comes in a base of either PG or VG, so it is possible to use pretty much any flavor imaginable as long as it is not oil-based (oils will cause most atomizers to stop working)

I'm just tired of feeling so tired cause of my breathing-that seems to be the one real drawback from having that heartattck besides the panic attacks.

Stay strong--you are so very right when you say you can do this. I'm pretty sure you don't really need an e-cigarette or anything else to help you stay smoke and nicotine free, but I for one will support your quit no matter what.

The first "e-cig" I bought mostly sat on a bookshelf for at least a year until one day as I was about to go outside to smoke, my daughter said, "Daddy, isn't that 'pretend cigarette' supposed to be better for you? ... You should use that instead." I realized immediately that she was right and that was when I really started researching them (...and I did a *LOT* of research! :lol:) I originally only planned to use it to avoid smoking around my daughter, but after just a few days of smoking 1 or fewer cigarettes, my senses of taste and smell started to improve and when I tried to smoke again I found that I didn't even like them anymore. A few weeks later I couldn't even REMEMBER when I'd last smoked a cigarette so I bummed a cigarette from a friend on New Years' Eve and intentionally smoked one last time just so I could have a quit date I could remember. I haven't put up my meter because I understand some people don't think that I've "really quit" and I'm not trying to show off, but I've been smoke free since 1/1/10...of course, I have to give a lot of credit to picking that date because even on the rare occassion that I've considered smoking a cigarette, I didn't want to lose having such a nice round number! :lol:
Is there any reason whatsoever to believe that smoke-free products that may contain an addictive psychostimulant but have not been approved by the FDA as a smoking cessation aid pose a greater public health risk than sugar-free products that may contain an addictive psychostimulant but have not been approved by the FDA as a weight loss aid?

#5 Stephanie

Stephanie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,108 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 21 October 2011 - 10:05 PM

I agree with you Greenlover, I feel like it horrible for the board because with 6 years clean, thinking about ecigs is dangerous for me, it makes my addict brain wake up and causes me unnecessary stress, crave like thoughts and it is all because of the nicotine lies they spew daily, I feel like the selfish eciggers, those who are not using them as a quit method, no desire to quit, are pushy and arrogant and have no respect for that, they cry that we endanger people, they put us in danger with every juicy stupid post. Millions of ecig forums and they feel they must endanger us....can't stand the selfish bully mentality of any of them!

I hate this forum. Not because I protest ecigs as a quit method, but because of the jerks who don't care to quit, think they quit, and they are still huffing nicotine, they do not belong here selling the poison!!!!!

Steph
:D
We are all Brothers
None goes his way alone
What we bring into the lives of others
Comes back into our own

my first free moment was 10/18/05 at 11:58 pm.
a very fine moment, and I did not even know it then.

#6 Thulium

Thulium

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 05:07 AM

I hate this forum.

If you aren't here to support people quitting smoking & nicotine with an electronic cigarette, why are you posting in the Electronic Cigarette subforum of the QuitSmoking.com message board?

#7 greenlover

greenlover

"REALLY"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,458 posts
  • quitdate:
    12/04/2011

Posted 22 October 2011 - 05:13 AM

I hate this forum.

If you aren't here to support people quitting smoking & nicotine with an electronic cigarette, why are you posting in the Electronic Cigarette subforum of the QuitSmoking.com message board?

What does it matter-Steph has been here for yrs & theirs no damn laws restricting anyone from posting wherever they wish. Its a free for all haven't you figured that out yet :roll:

#8 greenlover

greenlover

"REALLY"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,458 posts
  • quitdate:
    12/04/2011

Posted 22 October 2011 - 09:30 PM

Thanks for saying this-I was beginning to think I was the only person who really dislikes this whole E cig thing-to me its like tempting fate & thats how I see it & have from the start. I know I'm not always on the same page as most here but everyone has a voice here but theirs some I wish would "shut up" & no I don't need those who have been here forever & do more good then harm.

#9 rickwhoo

rickwhoo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 10:20 PM

I dont care what you people say, Nocotine is not bad. All my Doctors say it is not bad. All the research I have read says its not bad. If you think Nocotine is bad, prove it to me. Show me.

#10 greenlover

greenlover

"REALLY"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,458 posts
  • quitdate:
    12/04/2011

Posted 22 October 2011 - 10:23 PM

Spoken like a true e cig lover :cry:

#11 Electricman

Electricman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts
  • LocationSpreading Electricity... in a town near you

Posted 22 October 2011 - 10:23 PM

I dont care what you people say, Nocotine is not bad. All my Doctors say it is not bad. All the research I have read says its not bad. If you think Nocotine is bad, prove it to me. Show me.

Yep that's exactly what drug addicts /junkies say :roll:
. http://www.facebook.com/electricmans

Nicotine, the addictive substance in tobacco products, is the most common cause of chemical dependency in the U.S., according to the CDC.

Nicotine is an extremely addictive dangerous drug . Tobacco, ecf/casaa(Consumer Addicts Should Advocate Addiction) are, in effect, drug-pushers. Their income depends on keeping millions of Americans hooked.

#12 Thulium

Thulium

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 10:27 PM

Yep that's exactly what drug addicts /junkies say :roll:

So are you claiming to not be a drug addict/junkie anymore?

#13 April

April

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,730 posts
  • quitdate:
    10/20/2007

Posted 22 October 2011 - 10:31 PM

-

#14 Thulium

Thulium

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 10:36 PM

I hate this forum.

What does it matter-Steph has been here for yrs & theirs no damn laws restricting anyone from posting wherever they wish. Its a free for all haven't you figured that out yet :roll:

it matters because...

Unfortunately, all the threads that have become nothing but an angry debate are interfering with helping people to quit smoking. It saddens me to think how many people have come here, only to be turned off and turned away by the endless arguing.

I wish to make it clear that rude, inflammatory behavior by anyone, no matter how long you have been here, will be met with warnings and/or removal from the board.

#15 greenlover

greenlover

"REALLY"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,458 posts
  • quitdate:
    12/04/2011

Posted 22 October 2011 - 10:41 PM

:twisted: Hey if you have such major concerns over posters here why not go & whine at Fred & point it out to him how wronged you feel-what a joke. Your whole bunch does nothing but spew your e cig so called truth on a quit smoking site if anything people here of long standing should be whinning at Fred over you all. :twisted:

#16 avian3

avian3

Happy!!

• Moderators
  • 11,259 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 22 October 2011 - 10:55 PM

I don't understand why nicotine is so important to some people that they have to hang on to it. It would have to be because you are an addict as I am.
QUIT September 14, 2010
Posted Image

#17 rickwhoo

rickwhoo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 11:12 PM

Show me some NEW testing with Nicotine. Tests with the use of e-cigs and Nicotine. All I'm seeing is results from smoking and nicotine.

#18 Electricman

Electricman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts
  • LocationSpreading Electricity... in a town near you

Posted 22 October 2011 - 11:15 PM

Excuses is all eciggers are about
Many scary questions have arisen about e-cigs:

Just how much nicotine gets in your brain when you vape one cartridge? Without extensive animal testing this question is not answerable. Extensive animal testing has not been done on e-cigs. The amount of nicotine that you take in from e-cigs will depend on how many cartridges you suck on, how deeply you inhale, how often you partake, and to some extent, how much money you have to buy replacement cartridges. Manufacturers may make claims about the actual dose received but without pharmacological and physiological testing, the answers don't have meaning.

Are e-cigs more addictive than tobacco cigarettes? Again, no one knows yet. The product is too new, and too few people have used it to date. A full blown epidemiology study is required.

Can e-cigs make you sick? Electronic cigarettes use nicotine extracted with petroleum-based chemicals from tobacco leaves and, as such, are artificially flavored. Nicotine is deadly when blood levels reach about 60 mg in a 150 pound male. Quick smoking of sixty tobacco cigarettes would be required to reach this level. One Roanoker, Gus T. Castros, flatlined from a heart attack after he smoked 80 cigarettes over seven and a half hours. He had accidentally reached the 60 mg toxic dose plus some. When nicotine is inhaled, it inhibits blood flow to the skin which is one reason why smokers don't heal well after surgery or from wounds and why smokers develop loads of wrinkles. Also when nicotine is inhaled, it is converted to amino ketones which can cause kidney damage.

Posted Image
Effects of Nicotine

Nicotine changes how your brain and your body function.
Nicotine initially causes a rapid release of adrenaline, the "fight-or-flight" hormone. If you've ever jumped in fright at a scary movie or rushed around the office trying to finish a project by your deadline, you may be familiar with adrenaline's effects:

Rapid heartbeat Increased blood pressure Rapid, shallow breathing

Adrenaline also tells your body to dump some of its glucose stores into your blood. This makes sense if you remind yourself that the "fight-or-flight" response is meant to help you either defend yourself from a hungry predator or hightail it out of a dangerous situation -- running or brawling both require plenty of energy to fuel your muscles.

Nicotine itself may also block the release of the hormone insulin. Insulin tells your cells to take up excess glucose from your blood. This means that nicotine makes people somewhat hyperglycemic, having more sugar than usual in their blood. Some people think that nicotine also curbs their appetite so that they eat less. This hyperglycemia could be one explanation why: Their bodies and brain may see the excess sugar and down-regulate the hormones and other signals that are perceived as hunger.

Nicotine may also increase your basal metabolic rate slightly. This means that you burn more calories than you usually would when you are just sitting around. (For more information on metabolism, see How Calories Work.) However, losing weight from nicotine doesn't give you any of the health benefits that you'd get if you were losing weight by exercising -- it actually does the opposite! Over the long haul, nicotine can increase the level of the "bad" cholesterol, LDL, that damages your arteries. This makes it more likely that you could have a heart attack or a stroke.

NICOTINE AND THE HEART

Impact on Heart Nicotine gets easily absorbed into the blood. As the blood is circulated through all the organs of the body, it can very easily penetrate into each and every cell of the body part. Heart, as the center for blood circulation, receives blood from different body parts through a network of veins and arteries (blood vessels). the nicotine present in the blood damages the walls of arteries by increasing the fatty build ups. it also increases bad cholesterol in blood vessels, blocking the free flow of blood in them.

Therefore, the free flow of blood to heart is obstructed and it consequently results in heart strokes, which are very lethal. Accumulation of unnecessary fatty tissues may also lead to the development of chronic heart diseases.

other major body parts which are affected by Nicotine consumption are lungs. it reduces the oxygen carrying capacity of lungs resulting in a conflict in demand and supply for oxygen in the cells of body, which leads to death or impairment of cells.

Increased heart beat: A dangerous development for people with a pre-existing heart condition or disease or labile hypertension. Nicotine beats the heart to an unusual 20 beats more per minute sending shock waves to an already strained heart. The end result might be a heart attack.

Increased blood pressure: Nicotine puts your blood pressure into over-drive. This is alarming for people with a heart condition or disease.

Strokes

Nicotine can damage active brain cells which directly affect brain function and prevent blood flow to the brain that can cause a stroke.

Cancer

Cancer is the most dangerous consequence of nicotine consumption. Prolonged consumption of nicotine can lead to cancer and other health complications. There are several types of cancer which can be caused by prolonged consumption of nicotine such as cancer on mouth, cervix, larynx, throat, lips and stomach.

Some Other Health-Damaging Effects of Nicotine

There are some detrimental effects of nicotine which can be seen in those people who have been consuming nicotine for a long time like sagging and wrinkles along with dull looking skin, decreased immunity, unexpected weight loss, mouth ulcers, enhanced health risk factors in pregnancy, weak vision problem and vitamin C deficiency.

One and only way to escape these health risks is to quit this addiction which not only keeps you back on a healthy track but also reforms your image in the society.

Before using nicotine , tell your doctor if you have:

heart disease, an irregular heartbeat, high blood pressure or chest pain; a jaw condition called TMJ (temporomandibular joint) disease; an overactive thyroid; diabetes; pheochromocytoma (tumor of the adrenal gland); liver or kidney disease; a stomach ulcer; or asthma or chronic pulmonary disease.

Nicotine and diabetes

American Chemical Society have announced the results of a study showing strong evidence that nicotine is the culprit behind the persistently high blood glucose levels — and the associated complications — seen in people with diabetes who smoke.

"Nicotine caused levels of HbA1c to rise by as much as 34 percent," said Liu, who is with California State Polytechnic University in Pomona, Calif. "No one knew this before. The higher the nicotine levels, the more HbA1c is produced." the study may raise concern over the long term use of nicotine, he added.

Nicotine and Eyes
Nicotine can lead to a number of eye conditions and even blindness. Nicotine's action as a vasoconstrictor makes it harder to pump blood through constricted arteries, leading to decreased blood flow with less oxygen available.
Nicotine gives you an increased risk of age-related macular degeneration or AMD. Macular degeneration is a condition where the central portion of the retina or the macula, that allows us to see sharp detail and color. This leads to the loss of central vision, first blurring and then darkness. Nicotine at least doubles the risk of developing either type of Macular degeneration, wet or dry. Although it was thought stopping nicotine use did not lessen the risk, there are recent studies that indicate this is not true and that quitting does lower the risk of developing this problem.

How Nicotine Affects Erectile Dysfunction

Imagine what it would feel like to be with your partner and not have the ability to perform. What if this impairment was strictly due to a choice you were making every day?

NICOTINE AND CONSTRICTION OF BLOOD VESSELS

Nicotine is a drug that acts like a vasoconstrictor. This means that it causes the arteries and blood vessels to constrict impeding blood flow throughout the body, including the genitals. In order to achieve an erection the male genitalia must have enough blood flow to fill the arteries and vessels causing the penis to swell. If the blood flow is kept from filling the arteries and vessels an erection will not possible.

TESTOSTERONE AND NICOTINE

Hormone levels including testosterone are lowered as a result of nicotine use. These lower levels affect a man’s ability to get aroused and maintain an erection. Testosterone is the main male sex hormone, having low testosterone levels may interfere with a man’s sexual desires.

NICOTINE AND INCREASED FATTY ACIDS

Studies have also shown that nicotine and smoking causes an increase in fatty acids in the vessels. These fatty acids cause a build up that can lead to clogged arteries. This build up can result in impotence due to the lack of blood flow to the arteries and vessels in the penis. Not only can these fatty acids affect sexual performance they can also lead to a heart attack, stroke, and possible death.

THE EFFECT ON SPERM

Not only does nicotine contribute to erectile dysfunction it also can cause males to have a lower sperm count, abnormally shaped sperm, lethargic sperm as well as an overall decrease in the amount of ejaculation produced. These negative effects on the sperm can impede a man’s ability to have children.

Nicotine Hair Loss

Healthy scalp produces healthy hair shafts. Hair shafts arise from hair follicles. Hair follicles are tiny tubular cavities, at the base of hair follicles there exists an bulb like structure called dermal papillae, that multiplies itself gradually to produce hair shaft. Hair follicles are surrounded with hundreds of thousands tiny blood capillaries which carry blood from arteries to hair follicles. Supply of oxygen and nutrients are carried out by blood capillaries. Therefore, nutrients and oxygen transference through blood capillaries is the only fundamental source of follicular nourishment that makes growth of healthy hair possible.

Nicotine produces very powerful effects on arteries and throughout the body. Nicotine is a stimulant that speeds up the heart beats by about 20 beats per minute. Nicotine causes increased blood pressure. It is a vasoconstrictor that means it makes the arteries hard and stiff and blood can not run easily within arteries. Due to negative effects of nicotine, cholesterol is released within the blood that in turn, is extremely harmful for your body.

Prevention: As a first preventive measure, avoid nicotine, you must stop it gradually for the sake of healthy body. To increase the blood flow towards hair follicles and decrease the stiffness of blood capillaries, massage your scalp with natural coconut oil or almond oil. It will really show good results. Coconut oil not only help massage hair follicles, but it contains several chemicals needed for healthy growth of the hair. Therefore, it works in dual way, providing the nutrients and increasing the blood flow rate towards hair follicles.

Nicotine not only causes constriction in blood arteries but also in tiny blood capillaries that carries blood, oxygen and nutrients towards hair follicles. Hair follicles are also susceptible to nicotine and similar chemical substances. Blood capillaries are tiny tubes around singe blood cell in diameter. You can estimate, how vulnerable are blood capillaries to be constricted being single cell in diameter.

As nicotine enters the body, it is rapidly distributed through the bloodstream and reach the brain crossing the blood-brain barrier. Nicotine takes around 7 seconds to reach the brain. Nicotine is a hygroscopic, that is it attracts nearby water molecules. Dermal papilla, the bulb shaped structures responsible for creating new cells exists at the bottom of the hair follicles. Dermal papilla creates the new cells that pushes themselves upwards and force the older cells to move higher. Therefore, production of new hair cells requires adequate supply of oxygen and nutrients.

Dental Health and vaping
The #1 cause of implant failure is Nicotine . Nicotine causes a reduction in oxygen flow to the bone. It does not matter if the nicotine is supplied by inhaling nicotine , smoking tobacco, chewing on tobacco, or chewing gum. The dental implants require oxygen to bond to the bone. When the bone is unable to bond to the implant due to lack of oxygen, discomfort usually results and the implants must be removed.

Studies have shown that even nicotine by itself may do harm to the mouth, gums and tongue. A report published in the Journal of the Indian Society of Periodontology has stated that nicotine may contribute significantly to the development of gingivitis and periodontitis, two gum diseases that can cause breath to smell foul.

Likewise, nicotine may increase the risk of tooth loss and dental decay, which also lead to bad breath. The study suggests that nicotine causes these conditions because it is a vasoconstrictor, meaning it reduces blood flow to tissues in your mouth.

Without proper blood flow in the gums, white blood cells cannot properly fight off bacterial infections and red blood cells bring less oxygen to replenish the gum cells themselves.

Not only can these gum conditions leave your breath smelling less than fresh, but the microorganisms that cause them may have a hand in halitosis, too. The mouth is filled with over 600 varieties of bacteria, according to a 2003 issue of the Journal of Clinical Microbiology. Many of these tend to flourish in a drier environment, and are called anaerobic bacteria.

When the mouth is dry, these germs can feed on dead cells and food particles emit volatile sulfur compounds (VSC), which can be very smelly. One of the most common VSCs, hydrogen sulfide, smells like rotten eggs.

As a vasoconstrictor, nicotine may contribute to dry mouth by reducing blood flow to the salivary glands. Without saliva, which naturally eliminates some oral bacteria, halitosis can quickly become a problem.

http://www.ncbi.nlm....les/PMC2933534/

Nicotine and Bladder Cancer/Kidney Damage

What is the bladder?

The bladder is a hollow balloon like organ that collects and stores urine. It is a stretchy bag, made of muscle tissue. The bladder is lined with a urine-proof membrane, which stops the urine being absorbed back into the body. The kidneys produce urine and it is then carried to the bladder via the tubes called ureters.

The bladder then stores the urine (approximately 2 cups) until it

is full, it is then emptied through a tube called the urethra, which takes urine out of the body.

In women, the urethra is a very short tube in front of the vagina. In men, the urethra is a much longer tube and passes through the prostate gland and the penis.

What is bladder cancer?

Most cancers are named after the part of the body where the cancer first starts. Cancers of the bladder are nearly always found in the lining of the bladder, they come in many different forms and can behave very differently. Bladder cancer is more common with increasing age, the majority of people diagnosed with bladder cancer are over the age of 50

The exact cause of bladder cancer is not known. There are however, many factors which could increase your risk of getting cancer of the bladder, and Nicotine is one of them.

Nicotine, are absorbed into the blood, filtered out by the kidneys and end up in the urine. The urine is stored in the bladder, so the chemicals are in contact with the bladder lining for some time, causing damage to the cells lining the bladder.

Nicotine can cause many health problems. It can temporarily raise blood pressure and heart rate because it causes blood vessels to narrow. Nicotine can also make the blood more likely to clot and block an artery, and it can cause damage to the lungs and make breathing difficult. Nicotine in the body is first processed by the liver and then excreted by the kidneys. Over time nicotine can have negative effects on the kidneys.

Proteinuria While the exact link between nicotine and kidney disease is still not well understood, those who use nicotine seem to be at a higher risk for proteinuria, explains the American Association of Kidney Patients. Proteinuria is a condition where there is an abnormal amount of protein in the urine.

When the kidneys are working properly, they filter out waste products and leave important substances like protein in the blood, so it is available to the body. If the kidneys become damaged, protein may leak into the urine and be excreted from the body. This can lead to edema or swelling in various areas of the body, and it is a sign that the kidneys may be failing.

http://www.livestron... ... n-kidneys/

NICOTINE CAN FACILITATE THE PROGRESSION AND METASTASIS OF TUMORS INITIATED BY TOBACCO
Our earlier results indicated that nicotine could induce invasion and epithelial-mesenchymal transition (EMT) in cultured lung, breast and pancreatic cancer cells. This study demonstrates for the first time that administration of nicotine either by i.p. injection or through over-the-counter dermal patches can promote tumor growth and metastasis in immunocompetent mice. These results suggest that while nicotine has only limited capacity to initiate tumor formation, it can facilitate the progression and metastasis of tumors pre-initiated by tobacco carcinogens.
http://www.plosone.o... ... ne.0007524

Nicotine induces cell proliferation, invasion and epithelial-mesenchymal transition in a variety of human cancer cell lines.
http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/18844224

Nicotine stimulates human lung cancer cell growth
http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/17600315

Role of alpha7-nicotinic acetylcholine receptor in human non-small cell lung cancer proliferation.
http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/19040571

Nicotine stimulates pancreatic cancer xenografts by systemic increase in stress neurotransmitters and suppression of the inhibitory neurotransmitter gamma-aminobutyric acid.
http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/19131543

In the present study, Line1 mouse adenocarcinoma cells were implanted subcutaneously into syngenic BALB/c mice. Nicotine administration either by intraperitoneal (i.p.) injection or transdermal patches caused a remarkable increase in the size of implanted Line1 tumors. Once the tumors were surgically removed, nicotine treated mice had a markedly higher tumor recurrence (59.7%) as compared to the vehicle treated mice (19.5%). Nicotine also increased metastasis of dorsally implanted Line1 tumors to the lungs by 9 folds.
http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/19841737

Nicotine Side Effects Report #5392354-7 Nicotine side effect was reported by a Consumer or non-health professional from UNITED KINGDOM on July 10, 2007. Male patient, 61 years of age, was treated with Nicotine. After drug was administered, patient experienced the following side effects: circulatory collapse, myocardial infarction, overdose. Nicotine dosage: unknown. Patient died.

Nicotine Side Effects Report #5232032-8 Nicotine side effect was reported by a Consumer or non-health professional from UNITED KINGDOM on Jan 25, 2007. Male patient, 60 years of age, was treated with Nicotine. After drug was administered, patient experienced the following side effects: chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, dependence, overdose. Nicotine dosage: unknown. Patient recovered

Nicotine Side Effects Report #5625956-0 Nicotine side effect was reported by a Consumer or non-health professional from UNITED STATES on Feb 14, 2008. Female patient, 45 years of age, was treated with Nicotine. After drug was administered, patient experienced the following side effects: cardiac arrest , overdose. Nicotine dosage: unknown. Patient died.

Nicotine Side Effects Report #5635658-2 Nicotine side effect was reported by a Pharmacist from GERMANY on Feb 12, 2008. Male patient was treated with Nicotine. After drug was administered, patient experienced the following side effects: circulatory collapse, hyperhidrosis, loss of consciousness, overdose, palpitations. Nicotine dosage: 21 MG, QD, TRANSDERMAL. Patient was hospitalized. Patient recovered.

Nicotine Side Effects Report #6016920-0 Nicotine side effect was reported by a Consumer or non-health professional from UNITED STATES on Dec 10, 2008. Male patient was treated with Nicotine. After drug was administered, patient experienced the following side effects: cardiac failure congestive, overdose, treatment noncompliance. Nicotine dosage: 21 MG, TRANSDERMAL. Patient died.

Nicotine Side Effects Report #5525485-9 Nicotine side effect was reported by a Consumer or non-health professional from UNITED STATES on Nov 08, 2007. Female patient, 65 years of age, was treated with Nicotine. After drug was administered, patient experienced the following side effects: cardiac failure congestive, hypertension, overdose, treatment noncompliance. Nicotine dosage: 21MG, TRANSDERMAL. Patient was hospitalized. Patient recovered.

Nicotine Side Effects Report #5416664-X Nicotine side effect was reported by a Health Professional from UNITED KINGDOM on Aug 03, 2007. Male patient, 69 years of age, was treated with Nicotine. After drug was administered, patient experienced the following side effects: ischaemic stroke, overdose, treatment noncompliance. Nicotine dosage: 21 MG, QD, TRANSDERMAL. Patient recovered.

Nicotine Side Effects Report #4785177-0 Nicotine side effect was reported by a Physician from GERMANY on Sept 19, 2005. Male patient, 23 years of age, weighting 187.4 lb, was diagnosed with suicide attempt and was treated with Nicotine. After drug was administered, patient experienced the following side effects:

bradycardia, cardiovascular disorder, intentional misuse, nausea , overdose, somnolence, suicide attempt. Nicotine dosage: unknown . Patient was hospitalized. Patient recovered.

Is There an Easy Way to Quit? August 15, 2011

What is the best way to quit smoking? According to the latest research, the most effective way to quit is by participating in a behavior modification program (such as FFS Online) and combining that with an FDA-approved medication. Sounds simple, doesn’t it? Ha! Becoming smokefree is anything but simple, yet some folks will try almost anything that promises to a quicker, easier way to quit smoking. You can’t wave a magic wand and suddenly be done with the process of quitting. That’s why a program like FFS Online can be helpful since it guides you through the rough patches to your new, smokefree life.

Many FFS Online participants have asked about using other tobacco products to deal with cravings as they quit smoking cigarettes. Here’s why using those other tobacco products isn’t a good way to quit:

Smokeless Tobacco Smokeless tobacco includes chewing tobacco, snuff, snus and some other new products. Some people think that using smokeless tobacco is a safe alternative to smoking but that’s not the case. Smokeless tobacco has 28 cancer-causing agents and it increases the risk of developing cancer in the mouth, gums, and pancreas. The amount of nicotine that is absorbed from smokeless tobacco is 3 to 4 times the amount delivered by a cigarette.

Cigars Cigars contain many of the same addictive, toxic and cancer-causing compounds found in cigarettes. A single large cigar can contain as much tobacco as an entire pack of cigarettes. The health risks from smoking cigars are similar to those from smoking cigarettes, including 4 to 10 times the risk of dying from oral, esophageal or laryngeal cancer in comparison to nonsmokers. People who smoke cigars heavily or inhale deeply also increase their risk of developing COPD, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.

Hookahs or Water Pipes Hookahs, also called water pipes, are relatively new to the U.S. but hookah bars are growing in popularity. Some people believe that hookah use is harmless. Not so! Because a typical hookah session lasts 40 – 45 minutes, hookah users have increased exposure to the dangerous chemicals in tobacco smoke. Lung cancer and other diseases have been linked to hookah use.

e-Cigarettes There is no scientific evidence establishing the safety of e-cigarettes. The FDA has found that these products contain cancer-causing agents and toxic chemicals, including the ingredients found in anti-freeze. While some distributors directly or indirectly market e-cigarettes for smoking cessation, there is no scientific evidence that demonstrates these products are safe or effective at helping smokers quit.

It's sad that ecig manufacturers say where pretty sure our products are safe?????? Pretty sure? Is “pretty sure” that a product is safe good enough for you, or for your family? If it’s a product that you inhale or ingest, “pretty sure” just does not cut it.

The most frightening aspect of electronic cigarettes is that consumers who do not seek out data and who do not think critically might be convinced by the old hackneyed ad line: "This is Safe!" This same line was shouted by physicians in the 1950's about tobacco cigarettes before the data was in and the truth was known--decades and millions of deaths and inpatients later. We just don't know yet, but if you want to be one of the first poor guinea pigs who reveals the dangers and illnesses associated with e-cigs feel free. Vaping is your right. But stop pushing your unapproved method of nicotine addiction on people who are really trying to be free from this dangerous and extremely addictive drug.
. http://www.facebook.com/electricmans

Nicotine, the addictive substance in tobacco products, is the most common cause of chemical dependency in the U.S., according to the CDC.

Nicotine is an extremely addictive dangerous drug . Tobacco, ecf/casaa(Consumer Addicts Should Advocate Addiction) are, in effect, drug-pushers. Their income depends on keeping millions of Americans hooked.

#19 TMcGee

TMcGee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,691 posts
  • LocationEncinitas, California

Posted 22 October 2011 - 11:19 PM

Show me some NEW testing with Nicotine. Tests with the use of e-cigs and Nicotine. All I'm seeing is results from smoking and nicotine.

Look, vaper-troll... NO ONE HERE has to show YOU anything.

Why don't you scamper back to your nicotine addiction-promoting site and JUST LEAVE THIS BOARD ALONE?

Have you defeated your addiction to nicotine? WE have, or are in the process of doing so.

THAT'S WHAT THIS BOARD IS ALL ABOUT!

Not "nicotine is harmless" crap, or "it's no worse than caffeine" crap, or "harm reduction" excuses for being unable or unwilling to confront and defeat your addiction.

Back where you belong, troll. :twisted:

This kind of baiting will not make your Rolygate very happy... :roll:

GTQ, KTQ, ETQ

Skip

I have been quit for 4 Years, 3 Months, 1 Week, 4 hours, 3 minutes and 30 seconds (1,560 days). I have saved $13,651.47 by not smoking 78,008 cigarettes. I have saved 8 Months, 3 Weeks, 5 Days, 20 hours and 40 minutes of my life. My Quit Date: 7/15/2007 12:15 PM

[edited - typo repair]
Quit July 15, 2007

#20 greenlover

greenlover

"REALLY"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,458 posts
  • quitdate:
    12/04/2011

Posted 22 October 2011 - 11:44 PM