#1 Karen20

Karen20

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 17 October 2011 - 05:50 AM

I want to start off by saying I'm not trying to ruffle any feathers or start any arguments about the subject of my topic. I know it's a little controversial here. I want to state I am smoke and NICOTINE free and plan on staying that way. That's it, I'm done, I'm a recovering addict and in my mind with my body clean of nicotine any use of it would be a relapse and a failed quit. Which wont happen because I'm on my sticky quit :)

With that said, I decided to buy my brother a...dun dun dun...e cig. :P I don't have a bedroom, I sleep on the couch in my apartment, so all day I have to watch him go out for a sickerette over and over again and it kills me. After reading so much about the horrendous things you do to your body when you smoke, and knowing the risks it breaks my heart to see him do that. So I don't think e cigs are "safe", not completely in any way shape or form. I do however believe the risks are much much lower than cigarettes. It would give me some peace of mind to know he's done with smoking, even if he's not all the way where he needs to be. I'm definitely not advocating for e-cigs. In my opinion Nobody really knows how harmful they really are, and I hope nothing happens to him because of this because I would have so much guilt. I'm doing it with the best intentions.

So that's my story, but the reason I'm saying it is because I just spent like an hour watching video reviews on youtube of them and that was so silly! I just sat around for an hour basically watching triggers. My addict mind went nuts! I contemplated, as a back thought not a serious one, buying one for myself. I'm not going to though, but that was rough. The video suggestions had like real cigarette reviews as well and I clicked on a couple of my old brand and it was just a bad idea :lol: I know where I'm going to be when that thing comes in the mail, right here with my fellow nicotine free friends haha :D That nicodemon's going to be in full force when my brother's puffing on it in the house but I'm done. I'm free of the addiction physically and I'm going to stay that way. Which makes me proud of myself. It's probably going to be the hardest day of my quit though, so I wanted to tell the story and be able to come back for the wonderful support I always get here when it arrives in the mail.

cc8efff750.png

In memorial of Aunt Janie, born 7/1.
Smoke free since 7/9/2013

N.O.P.E! Through hell and high water, no more romancing this addiction. Enjoying the REST of my years as a NONSMOKER.

#2 Thulium

Thulium

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 06:30 AM

I want to start off by saying I'm not trying to ruffle any feathers or start any arguments about the subject of my topic. I know it's a little controversial here. I want to state I am smoke and NICOTINE free and plan on staying that way. That's it, I'm done, I'm a recovering addict and in my mind with my body clean of nicotine any use of it would be a relapse and a failed quit. Which wont happen because I'm on my sticky quit :)

Congratulations on 4 days smoke & nicotine free. I think you'll do fine. :D

With that said, I decided to buy my brother a...dun dun dun...e cig. :P I don't have a bedroom, I sleep on the couch in my apartment, so all day I have to watch him go out for a sickerette over and over again and it kills me. After reading so much about the horrendous things you do to your body when you smoke, and knowing the risks it breaks my heart to see him do that. So I don't think e cigs are "safe", not completely in any way shape or form. I do however believe the risks are much much lower than cigarettes. It would give me some peace of mind to know he's done with smoking, even if he's not all the way where he needs to be. I'm definitely not advocating for e-cigs. In my opinion Nobody really knows how harmful they really are, and I hope nothing happens to him because of this because I would have so much guilt. I'm doing it with the best intentions.

The part in bold is the one thing I would disagree with: Once you understand how "e-cigarettes" actually work, there really is very little that BASIC science doesn't tell you. E-cigarettes simply heat up a (VERY) small amount of liquid made of Propylene Glycol and/or Glycerine mixed with food flavoring and (optionally) nicotine. It is very literally a pocket-sized fog machine as it uses the exact same ingredients as in fog machines used this time of year in Haunted Houses and year-round in concerts, clubs, and theatrical presentations. Propylene Glycol vapor has been known since 1943 to be a safe and effective air germicide that is commonly used in schools and hospitals.

When the PG or VG is heated into a vapor, it causes the surrounding moisture to condense into a visible fog like your breath on a cold day. That means that when "vaping" you may be exhaling a bit more moisture than normal, so tell your brother to keep a bottle of water (or other beverage) on hand or he may get a bit of dry mouth or sore throat. Although rare, some people are sensitive or allergic to propylene glycol (PG), but if he has a problem with that, recommend that he try using e-liquids that are made from Vegetable Glycerine (VG) instead.

Remember that in e-cigs, the nicotine is entirely optional...so although your brother might need to use nicotine, at least at first, to replace the nicotine he was getting from smoking...Once he gets free of the habit of lighting tobacco on fire and inhaling the carbon monoxide and tar and thousands of other chemicals in smoke, he can then work on ramping down or quitting the nicotine if and when he's ready. Although some people seem to remain dependent on nicotine for the rest of their life, at least we can now get it without having to inhale smoke...but once you get past the smoke, getting rid of the nicotine probably won't be terribly difficult...but do him and yourself a favor and leave that personal decision to him. You've made your decision to be nicotine free and I congratulate you, but it will only stick if it is YOUR decision, not anyone else's! 8)

So that's my story, but the reason I'm saying it is because I just spent like an hour watching video reviews on youtube of them and that was so silly! I just sat around for an hour basically watching triggers. My addict mind went nuts! I contemplated, as a back thought not a serious one, buying one for myself. I'm not going to though, but that was rough. The video suggestions had like real cigarette reviews as well and I clicked on a couple of my old brand and it was just a bad idea :lol: I know where I'm going to be when that thing comes in the mail, right here with my fellow nicotine free friends haha :D That nicodemon's going to be in full force when my brother's puffing on it in the house but I'm done. I'm free of the addiction physically and I'm going to stay that way. Which makes me proud of myself. It's probably going to be the hardest day of my quit though, so I wanted to tell the story and be able to come back for the wonderful support I always get here when it arrives in the mail.

I don't think you'll have any trouble...if anything, it will be a lot easier to stay quit because the vapor has nearly no odor and your brother won't have to go outside to smoke. You've already gotten past the hardest day of your quit: day 1. Don't lose confidence in yourself and you'll be fine... If anything it is your brother you might need to worry about--the e-cig may or may not work for him. The only thing that we don't really know about e-cigs is that they have not been put through a double-blind clinical test for their effectiveness as a medical nicotine cessation therapy--because that's not what they were designed to be--so it may or may not get him to quit smoking. I've noticed that buying an e-cig for someone else doesn't always work quite as well as buying it yourself because you're not "invested" in the quit/switch. When I first tried an e-cig, I had no intention of quitting and after spending way too much for a "meh" brand at the mall and then having lost several parts I didn't know how to replace, it mostly sat unused on the shelf for most of a year. It was only one day as I was going outside to smoke when my daughter said, "Daddy, isn't that 'pretend cigarette' supposed to be better for you? You should use that instead" that I decided to really try using it on a regular basis...my intention was really just to use it when I was with my daughter so I could hug her without making her smell like stale smoke, but after just a few days of smoking 1 or fewer cigarettes, my senses of taste and smell improved to the point that burning tobacco leaves lost all their former appeal. After a while, I couldn't even remember when I'd last had a cigarette so I intentionally "bummed" one last smoke on New Years' Eve just to have a quit date I could remember and I haven't even had one puff from a cigarette in the 22.5 months since!
Is there any reason whatsoever to believe that smoke-free products that may contain an addictive psychostimulant but have not been approved by the FDA as a smoking cessation aid pose a greater public health risk than sugar-free products that may contain an addictive psychostimulant but have not been approved by the FDA as a weight loss aid?

#3 toosarah

toosarah

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 765 posts
  • LocationThe Sunshine State

Posted 17 October 2011 - 07:37 AM

This post and the responses belong in the e-cig section, not on the main board.
Good luck with your quits.
I QUIT smoking and nicotine cold turkey 8-5-2010

#4 Karen20

Karen20

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 17 October 2011 - 07:57 AM

This post and the responses belong in the e-cig section, not on the main board.
Good luck with your quits.

Well I kind of posted it here to get support for staying nicotine free rather than an explanation of e cigs, hence why I stated my stance on it repeatedly. If i posted in e cigs section I would probably get more of a support on the matter, which wouldn't help me stay quit. I just wanted to explain what my spark was for needing a little boost. But I know the context of the story is not a very welcomed one here so I'm just going to peace out.

cc8efff750.png

N.O.P.E! Through hell and high water, no more romancing this addiction. Enjoying the REST of my years as a NONSMOKER.

#5 Guest_BenJammin_*

Guest_BenJammin_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 October 2011 - 09:51 AM

You did the right thing karen. I have an ecig but I don't use it because it just makes me want to smoke. :lol: I've been meaning to give it to my brother but keep forgetting. Keep up your quit. :D

#6 EaglesWing

EaglesWing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 10:05 AM

I don't see why it would be necessary for you to post anywhere other than where you did. Others post here when they are using the patch, gum etc...so the ecig is just another device just like the rest of them...atleast that's what the "management" here says. Anway, I know exactly where you are coming from! As I've tried the same thing myself for the same reasons! My husband smokes in the house ALOT...and the second hand smoke is pretty bad in here. I got him an ecig for two reasons...one to help ME (is that selfish? perhaps) so I wouldn't have to inhale all that secondhand smoke...and secondly for him because after reading like you did I came to the same conclusion...they HAD to be better than what he was using..So I bought him one and he tried it for awhile..but stopped using it because he said that although they "smoked" like a cig, and "acted" like a cig...the "FEEL" of them wasen't quite the same... :roll: :roll: :roll: WHATEV! But then he wasn't wanting to quit at all..he tried it for my benefit. So he's gone back to the real cigarette. I wish you better luck with your brother than I had with my husband. :D

#7 Marvitta

Marvitta

Free & Healing

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,045 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 17 October 2011 - 12:33 PM

I really don't know anything about the ecig except what I read here. I have never tried one myself . I should not need to say this but for those who like to judge I will say I have no plans to either!
As far as where you posted I see no problem with you wanting to be honest with the board! :D
I hope it helps your brother quit! :D

Hugs,
Marvitta :D

Edited to say, congrats on your quit and keep it up ! :D
(I started about age six and smoked over fourty years.... anyone can quit!)

Smoke & Nicotine free since 7/19/2011
~~~~The Day I Quit!~~~~

If You Are Going Though Hell, Keep Going ~ Winston S. Churchill
~~One Foot In Front Of The Other Gets You Where Your Going~~

~~~~~Life is What Happens When You Are Making Other Plans~~~~~ John Lennon

#8 Debbie3163

Debbie3163

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,367 posts
  • LocationMt Vernon TX

Posted 17 October 2011 - 12:52 PM

I don't see why it would be necessary for you to post anywhere other than where you did. Others post here when they are using the patch, gum etc...so the ecig is just another device just like the rest of them...atleast that's what the "management" here says. Anway, I know exactly where you are coming from! As I've tried the same thing myself for the same reasons! My husband smokes in the house ALOT...and the second hand smoke is pretty bad in here. I got him an ecig for two reasons...one to help ME (is that selfish? perhaps) so I wouldn't have to inhale all that secondhand smoke...and secondly for him because after reading like you did I came to the same conclusion...they HAD to be better than what he was using..So I bought him one and he tried it for awhile..but stopped using it because he said that although they "smoked" like a cig, and "acted" like a cig...the "FEEL" of them wasen't quite the same... :roll: :roll: :roll: WHATEV! But then he wasn't wanting to quit at all..he tried it for my benefit. So he's gone back to the real cigarette. I wish you better luck with your brother than I had with my husband. :D

the other devices are fda approved and the ecig is not and is not even sold as a stop smoking device,Hang in there Karen i was around smokers and even had to go buy smokes for my brother all through my quit,and did fine,just stay firm in your mind that you are not going to smoke
Posted Image

#9 Marvitta

Marvitta

Free & Healing

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,045 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 17 October 2011 - 01:04 PM

Everyone should stay calm here and remember that the FDA approved devices are approved to be used a certain way and that in the PAST the person abusing them by not using them according to FDA guidelines are not really any different than someone who decides to use this method or the one I used since I don't think they have a seal on Cold Turkey !
I think you should support the quit if that is what someone is doing! If in fact they are still planning to feed nicotine to the addiction for years ( which is not what the op said) then we should have that discussion in another thread perhaps.

Peace and Hugs,

~~~~The Day I Quit!~~~~

#10 Bob Sacamano

Bob Sacamano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 01:07 PM

It can't be as bad as smoking so if it works more power to him. You should ask your older brother to offer you a little more support in your decision to quit smoking. He should make every effort to not smoke around you. I know I would do that for my little sister. I guess its not an issue for me anymore since I don't smoke!

#11 Haus

Haus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 504 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 01:10 PM

Congrats on your quit we all have stressers with our quits just rember the only quit you can control is your own we can suggest to others and pray for others and be a example for them but we can not stop them so i try not to get my expectations up there for them.
Just remeber it is a Mind game you do not have to smoke if you do not want to!!!!!
Quit day was sep 30 2011

#12 Karen20

Karen20

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 17 October 2011 - 03:02 PM

Thank you guys. :) I posted it here because I DO NOT want to get one and feed my nicotine addiction, but I can't say that my addict mind didn't wonder to the possibilities while I was looking it up for my brother. It was kind of like a mini nicotine SOS, I wasn't going to smoke but I seriously considered getting one, but I'd much rather be free of it all. :D

That is definitely not selfish! It's honestly selfish for your husband to smoke in the house. His reason for not liking it made me laugh. :lol: Well my brother has tried it before and liked it. I just want to see him put down the cancer sticks in the end.

cc8efff750.png

#13 Rain Forest

Rain Forest

Ash Kicker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 17 October 2011 - 03:58 PM

Karen, first of all: be proud of yourself for remaining smoke-free when you have to watch someone else smoke... I can only imagine how that must suck.

As for the e-cig, I'll tell you what my doctor said about it. A few months back, I asked him what he thought of them because my daughter smokes and I would rather see her smoke an e-cig than a regular cig... he told me:

1) If given the choice and the person does not want to quit smoking, then an e-cig would be better for them because even though nobody knows exactly how safe they are, he said they aren't full of 1,000's of chemicals like cigs are; and
2) He also said that the people in his care that have started smoking e-cigs instead of regular cigs tend to go right back to a cig when they run out of their supplies.

Anyway, that's my, uh, $.01 because I don't think it's worth 2! lol
Rain :)

event.png

Freedom date: May 13, 2009

I oftentimes say I'm leaving here.  Jan says:

"She always says that. She's got her fingers crossed behind her back."

Jan is right... lol

#14 greenlover

greenlover

"REALLY"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,458 posts
  • quitdate:
    12/04/2011
  • LocationLiving with the Amish

Posted 18 October 2011 - 12:34 AM

Slippery slope for sure-I've considered doing an e cig after all those that love it think its the better then sliced bread but to me I figure its too much like smoking except for the "burning" paper part & the extra chemicals to keep you hooked thats in real smokes. But I guess deep down I must want to be free otherwise my last 2 blown quits would of led me to changing delivery system for my addiction.

#15 unknow

unknow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 18 October 2011 - 01:33 AM

I tried the e-cig around a year ago and it is almost like the real thing. I actually increased my nicotine intake with it because I could "smoke" it anywhere. The bad part is that your nicotine addiction stays the same and you still can't stand to go more than a few hours without it, then you will smoke real cigarettes when your battery is dead or you run out of cartridges. Your best bet to beat the addiction and stop being a slave.
If you don't want to give up nicotine, then stock up on e-cig accessories and go for it - it can't be worse for you than tobacco and its cheaper after you get past the upfront costs.
Quit Date: July 17, 2011 10:00PM

#16 Evelyn

Evelyn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,915 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 02:31 AM

I think I would rather possess eyes that know no sight, ears that know no sound, hands that know no touch than a heart that knows no love. 4b frk

Those who stir the s*** pot should lick the spoon!

NOPE

#17 Bob Sacamano

Bob Sacamano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 04:41 AM

I'm not sure the semantics of where the thread "belongs" is what's important here. Actually, I'm quite sure it's not. This person asked for some help and told us what their plan was. Just because some don't like the plan doesn't make it wrong. I'm on Chantix. Many don't like that drug but guess what... I don't smoke!!! Am I forbidden from mentioning it on this forum? I think the point of this board is to quit smoking, at least that's what I gather from the title.

#18 Marvitta

Marvitta

Free & Healing

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,045 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 18 October 2011 - 10:10 AM

I'm not sure the semantics of where the thread "belongs" is what's important here. Actually, I'm quite sure it's not. This person asked for some help and told us what their plan was. Just because some don't like the plan doesn't make it wrong. I'm on Chantix. Many don't like that drug but guess what... I don't smoke!!! Am I forbidden from mentioning it on this forum? I think the point of this board is to quit smoking, at least that's what I gather from the title.

+1.
Can I mention Cold Turkey Here? :mrgreen:

~~~~The Day I Quit!~~~~

#19 Thulium

Thulium

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 02:24 PM

+1.
Can I mention Cold Turkey Here? :mrgreen:

Considering that more people have been able to remain smoke-free by quitting cold turkey than using FDA approved cessation methods, I should hope so. But cold turkey isn't FDA approved, nor is it 100% effective for every smoker. Therefore, I support people quitting smoking by whatever method they choose--including "non FDA Approved" methods like cold turkey or substituting with smoke-free alternative products like e-cigarettes or using e-cigarettes with a plan* to completely stop smoking and nicotine.

*There are other sites for those who DON'T have a plan to completely stop smoking and nicotine on other message boards, but the QuitSmoking.com message board is not here to promote those sites or any commercial brands or specific products. Therefore, I am here ONLY to offer support and advice to people who intend to completely quit smoking and nicotine with (or without) an electronic cigarette or any other smoke-free alternative. :mrgreen:
Is there any reason whatsoever to believe that smoke-free products that may contain an addictive psychostimulant but have not been approved by the FDA as a smoking cessation aid pose a greater public health risk than sugar-free products that may contain an addictive psychostimulant but have not been approved by the FDA as a weight loss aid?

#20 Marvitta

Marvitta

Free & Healing

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,045 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 18 October 2011 - 02:27 PM

I really don't know anything about the ecig except what I read here. I have never tried one myself . I should not need to say this but for those who like to judge I will say I have no plans to either!
As far as where you posted I see no problem with you wanting to be honest with the board! :D
I hope it helps your brother quit! :D

Hugs,

Edited to say, congrats on your quit and keep it up ! :D

Well Thulium,

It seems you have missed some of the thread ! :mrgreen:

~~~~The Day I Quit!~~~~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users