Photo

Couple of dumb questions from a newbie...

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
37 replies to this topic

#1 Konfusia

Konfusia

• NEWLY_REGISTERED
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 06:58 AM

I quit smoking yesterday and am still on my first e-cig (a "Cig 2-O" that I got at the local tobacco shop...came with three 18 ml filters, two pieces/screws together). Anyhoo...I'm wondering how I will know when I need a new filter...will it just keep letting puff but not taste like anything? Also, what about the white part of the e-cig (where the battery and light are contained) do I ever need to replace that? Also, I'm not sure how often anyone else uses theirs but...it seems I can go for one or two hours no problems but then find myself sucking on this thing almost constantly for 15 minutes.... I was a two pack a day smoker so I know nothing can be worse than that but, will puffing on e-cig too often hurt me just as much?

Thank you in advance and I'm really sorry if my questions are kind of absurd...I feel like such a dumbass for asking :roll:

#2 Thulium

Thulium

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 06:28 PM

First of all, congratulations on at least ONE day smoke-free! :)

I quit smoking yesterday and am still on my first e-cig (a "Cig 2-O" that I got at the local tobacco shop...came with three 18 ml filters, two pieces/screws together). Anyhoo...I'm wondering how I will know when I need a new filter...will it just keep letting puff but not taste like anything?

E-cigs work by heating a liquid made of Propylene Glycol(PG) and/or Vegetable Glycerine(VG) until it causes water to condense into a visible fog like your breath on a cold day. Most food flavorings come in a base of PG or VG so it is possible to make the vapor "taste" like just about any flavor you can imagine and use as much or as little nicotine as you need to avoid smoking the real things. With most e-cigs the flavor will diminish before all the liquid has evaporated so many e-cig users (aka "vapers") will drip their choice of e-liquid directly onto the atomizer or refill the cartridges themselves to save money.

Also, what about the white part of the e-cig (where the battery and light are contained) do I ever need to replace that?

As you've already noticed, its a battery....which means it will need to be recharged and eventually replaced. Most e-cigs use Lithium Polymer batteries exactly like you'd find in a cell phone--and in fact some people have made modified e-cigs (called "mods") out of cell-phones, flashlights, and pretty much anything you can imagine. So yes it will eventually need to be replaced.

Also, I'm not sure how often anyone else uses theirs but...it seems I can go for one or two hours no problems but then find myself sucking on this thing almost constantly for 15 minutes.... I was a two pack a day smoker so I know nothing can be worse than that but, will puffing on e-cig too often hurt me just as much?

It's practically impossible for an e-cig that you don't light on fire to ever be anywhere near as dangerous as a cigarette that you do light on fire. Other than the nicotine, the liquid and flavoring is the exact same stuff used in fog machines, but at much higher quantities: A typical e-cig cartridge contains about 1/1000th the amount of liquid that a fog machine uses in just one hour, so as long as you are drinking plenty of fluids (the vapor will cause you to exhale more moisture than normal, so you need to replace it by drinking water or your mouth will go dry and your throat will get sore) there is really not much danger in using it "too much".

The pharmaceutical grade nicotine in e-cigs is not absorbed through the deep lung tissue like with smoke so it can take a bit longer and you also aren't getting any of the thousands of other chemicals and byproducts of combustion in tobacco smoke. For those reasons, many new e-cig users do find they are using it a LOT at first, but eventually you'll find a pace that is comfortable and slow down. If you still are using it more than you like, you could try using a higher nicotine strength like 2.4% or even 3.6%, but that is a matter of personal preference.

Thank you in advance and I'm really sorry if my questions are kind of absurd...I feel like such a dumbass for asking :roll:

Not at all. Those are actually very good questions that deserve better answers than I have room to even give here, but your own research will serve you well. You can usually find cheaper and better quality vaporizers by searching the 100's of online e-cig vendors. I'm not here to advertise for any of them, but if you look through some of the other e-cigarette forums and reviews on YouTube and social media sites, you should be able to find more than enough information to help you stay Smoke-Free!

Congratulations again on your decision to stop smoking! I promise you won't regret it. :D
Is there any reason whatsoever to believe that smoke-free products that may contain an addictive psychostimulant but have not been approved by the FDA as a smoking cessation aid pose a greater public health risk than sugar-free products that may contain an addictive psychostimulant but have not been approved by the FDA as a weight loss aid?

#3 greenlover

greenlover

"REALLY"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,458 posts
  • quitdate:
    12/04/2011
  • LocationLiving with the Amish

Posted 18 October 2011 - 01:28 AM

Didn't it come with directions??? I'm sure at the ECF Forum theirs instrutctions on how you're new delivery system operates.

#4 Evelyn

Evelyn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,915 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 01:56 AM

I think I would rather possess eyes that know no sight, ears that know no sound, hands that know no touch than a heart that knows no love. 4b frk

Those who stir the s*** pot should lick the spoon!

NOPE

#5 Stephanie

Stephanie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,108 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 18 October 2011 - 02:08 AM

"Stand up for what you believe in, even if it means standing alone."

Amen Sista.....that is my Evelyn.

And OP...these questions can be best answered on the ecig forum. This forum is for support.

Steph
:D
We are all Brothers
None goes his way alone
What we bring into the lives of others
Comes back into our own

my first free moment was 10/18/05 at 11:58 pm.
a very fine moment, and I did not even know it then.

#6 Evelyn

Evelyn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,915 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 02:14 AM

I think I would rather possess eyes that know no sight, ears that know no sound, hands that know no touch than a heart that knows no love. 4b frk

NOPE

#7 Thulium

Thulium

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 02:18 AM

Didn't it come with directions??? I'm sure at the ECF Forum theirs instrutctions on how you're new delivery system operates.

No, as some people are fond of pointing out, like quitting cold turkey or chewing on toothpicks or jellybeans e-cigarettes have not been approved by the FDA as a nicotine cessation product (because e-cigs were invented to be a reduced harm recreational alternative, not a medical device) so they do not come with instructions on how to use them to quit smoking and/or nicotine....that doesn't mean that we can't support people who want to use e-cigarettes to quit smoking by offering support and advice.
Is there any reason whatsoever to believe that smoke-free products that may contain an addictive psychostimulant but have not been approved by the FDA as a smoking cessation aid pose a greater public health risk than sugar-free products that may contain an addictive psychostimulant but have not been approved by the FDA as a weight loss aid?

#8 greenlover

greenlover

"REALLY"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,458 posts
  • quitdate:
    12/04/2011

Posted 18 October 2011 - 02:21 AM

Well thats pretty stupid-no wonder people aren't switching over they haven't a clue how to vape their troubles away with your wonder product :roll:

#9 Thulium

Thulium

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 02:37 AM

Well thats pretty stupid-no wonder people aren't switching over they haven't a clue how to vape their troubles away with your wonder product :roll:

It is possible to use recreational products to make healthy choices without them being medically approved for therapeutic use? Think of the electronic cigarette like a treadmill: If you included advertising telling people this wonder product would physically improve their health, you would have to first be able to prove it scientifically and include medical instructions...but going through all that trouble and increased cost to get an FDA approved medical device would make it substantially more expensive, and although perhaps it might be "better" in certain other ways than a typical consumer product treadmill that just lets people get their "walking" fix without all the hazards and byproducts of combustion engine and traffic, most manufacturers are going to just release it as a consumer product that some people use for personal exercise... Likewise, e-cigarettes can be used by people who just want to be able to get their "nicotine fix" without all the hazards and byproducts of combustion and have no interest in completely quitting (this is called Tobacco Harm Reduction), OR they can be used by someone who has a plan to completely quit smoking. Just because it can be used one way doesn't mean it cannot be used in the other. This site, ostensibly, is for pepole who have a plan to completely quit smoking, and presumably since this is the e-cigarette section, we are here to SUPPORT people who are intending to quit smoking... If you aren't going to be supportive of the OP's questions about how to use an e-cigarette to quit smoking, THAT is called trolling.

#10 Evelyn

Evelyn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,915 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 02:38 AM

NOPE

#11 greenlover

greenlover

"REALLY"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,458 posts
  • quitdate:
    12/04/2011

Posted 18 October 2011 - 02:47 AM

Wow the e cig people think i'm a troll-how nice,well I have some special names for them to :roll:

#12 Thulium

Thulium

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 02:48 AM

No, as some people are fond of pointing out, like quitting cold turkey or chewing on toothpicks or jellybeans e-cigarettes have not been approved by the FDA as a nicotine cessation product (because e-cigs were invented to be a reduced harm recreational alternative, not a medical device) so they do not come with instructions on how to use them to quit smoking and/or nicotine....that doesn't mean that we can't support people who want to use e-cigarettes to quit smoking by offering support and advice.

I mean really....Jokers! Junkies making excuses for their drug........and this is allowed on a quit smoking bb....I mean really...what has the world of greed come too?????????????????

Evelyn....FREE and HEALING for Six years, two weeks, 12 hours, 51 minutes and 37 seconds. 22055 cigarettes not smoked, saving $11,579.06. Life saved: 10 weeks, 6 days, 13 hours, 55 minutes.
and so can you and it cost NOTHING.......................

I

You seem scared of an outbreak of smokeless e-cigarette use. What are you afraid of? Millions of people NOT smoking?!? Widespread improvements in health among nicotine addicts? Billions of dollars NOT spent on drugs to treat diseases caused by smoking?!? Hundreds of entrepeneurs, inventors and small businesses springing up to support a new industry of smoke-free recreational products that aren't restricted by the FDA to just Big Tobacco and/or Big Pharma's monopoly?!? What, indeed, has the world of greed(y people who profit from keeping people in the smoke>quit>relapse cycle) come to? :roll:

#13 greenlover

greenlover

"REALLY"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,458 posts
  • quitdate:
    12/04/2011

Posted 18 October 2011 - 02:55 AM

:twisted: For sure thats my big game plan hoping if I say all sorts of crap about e cigs that some poor person looking for an OUT & sees the E cig as a way around quitting will thank me for convincing them that quitting is better then vaping-you so don't get it. Plus if you product is such a "godsend" then why aren't every poor smoker I see when asked why don't they vape instead of smoking just look at me like why switch delivery systems-I guess they figure its easier to remain a smoker to switch to that healthier form of smoking or so you say using e cigs. Why not run big ads to promote your choice-to me preaching about e cigs on a quit smoking site is pretty stupid-why ask people who have found freedom return to a lifestealing habit-seems kinda stupid to me. :twisted:

#14 Evelyn

Evelyn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,915 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 03:14 AM

NOPE

#15 Thulium

Thulium

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 03:22 AM

:twisted: For sure thats my big game plan hoping if I say all sorts of crap about e cigs that some poor person looking for an OUT & sees the E cig as a way around quitting will thank me for convincing them that quitting is better then vaping-you so don't get it.

Good luck with that.

Plus if you product is such a "godsend" then why aren't every poor smoker I see when asked why don't they vape instead of smoking just look at me like why switch delivery systems

Why don't more smokers switch to vaping? It's a pretty new product and there's a lot of people spreading misinformation about it.

-I guess they figure its easier to remain a smoker to switch to that healthier form of smoking or so you say using e cigs.

Huh? Do you still not understand the difference between smoke and vapor? Smoke is the product of combustion--its what happens when you light tobacco on fire and besides a small amount of nicotine, it includes poisonous carbon monoxide, carcinogenic partially burnt particulates of tobacco and carcinogens called "tar" and countless thousands of other chemicals--not all of which have even been identified. Vapor from an electronic cigarette contains the germicidal air sanitizer propylene glycol and/or vegetable glycerine, natural and artificial flavorings/scents, a bit of water, and optionally a small percentage (generally less than 4%) of nicotine. There is no fire, so there is no smoke. Just because it LOOKS like smoking to exhale on a cold day, doesn't mean that you can get cancer from winter weather. :lol:

Why not run big ads to promote your choice

Ads are used to promote a commercial product. My choice is not a commercial product and I have no financial interests in e-cigarettes or any other smoke-free alternatives. My interest is in reducing the deaths and diseases caused by smoking by helping people to quit smoking by whater method works for them as an individual and I am here to support people who intend to quit smoking with help from an e-cigarette. If you are here for any other reason, you are trolling.

-to me preaching about e cigs on a quit smoking site is pretty stupid-why ask people who have found freedom return to a lifestealing habit-seems kinda stupid to me. :twisted:

Well, if you have some reason to believe that e-cigarettes can kill someone, could you please explain how? What do you think are the health risks of e-cigarette use?

#16 greenlover

greenlover

"REALLY"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,458 posts
  • quitdate:
    12/04/2011

Posted 18 October 2011 - 03:37 AM

do you ever answer any questions without asking another instead??? Well from what I've read its been 5 yrs on the market yet they can't seem to get that toehold on the smoke market-maybe some flavors to entice those teenagers?? It always amazes me that for some strange reason you seem to believe that those free from smoking don't wish for others to be free & its always implied that people who quit smoking run back to smoking any chance they get & that if you don't use e cigs as part of your QUIT plan you're doomed. If that was so true then why are their millions thruout the world nic free or is that some big gov't big pharm lie :roll:

#17 Evelyn

Evelyn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,915 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 03:41 AM

NOPE

#18 Thulium

Thulium

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 03:46 AM

I know right.....how silly of me and others that see and READ here and KNOW what you and other promotors and users of the e-cancerplasticthingys are all about???? No matter that they are NOT FDA approved in many Countries and States....let's just throw that out the window/////?

The Carr/Polito EasyWay to Quit Smoking (Cold Turkey) is not FDA approved in any country, either. Should we throw it out the window too?

Who cares right? And because they are NOT FDA approved we do not know the damages and dangers that may arrise from puffing on the nicotine filled plastinthingys

...right....never mind that you might grow and extra ear or arm or have some internal damage ....who cares right....as long as YOU sell a product.

I don't sell e-cigarettes or any other nicotine or tobacco products.

Good on you to promote a nasty poison chemical that a doctor would not prescribe.

Wrong. In the U.S., the FDA Approved Nicorette nicotine inhalator is only available with a doctor's prescription.

..did you tell the tax payers yet how this is a drain on THEIR system and pocket book.....as I am quite sure health insurance does not come along with the sale of ecancerplasticthingys?

You're right that insurance generally does not pay for e-cigarettes since they have not been FDA approved, but how exactly do you think that e-cigarettes will cause a drain on tax payers? What do you think are the health risks of using a smokeless e-cigarette?

So WHO IS causing another overload on a taxing health care system.

Here you are right. The World Health Organization IS causing an overload on taxing the health care system by promoting only "FDA Approved" drugs that are proven to be less than 50% effective at helping people stop smoking and have been shown to be LESS effective than non-pharmaceutical treatments like quitting cold turkey or switching to smoke-free alternative products.

Not me!!!!!!! I am FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEE................................. :D Bullshitters like you scare many into not believing in themselves and truly quitting and becoming nicotine and chemical free... :wink:

The only way to be chemical free is to die, otherwise you're breathing chemicals all day long. If you want to be nicotine-free, e-cigarettes can be used without nicotine. :idea:

#19 Evelyn

Evelyn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,915 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 03:56 AM

NOPE

#20 Thulium

Thulium

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 04:00 AM

do you ever answer any questions without asking another instead???

Yes. :mrgreen:

Well from what I've read its been 5 yrs on the market yet they can't seem to get that toehold on the smoke market-maybe some flavors to entice those teenagers??

E-cigarettes have been on the market for 5 years without a single study finding a toxic or carcinogenic level of any substance in the cartridges or vapor. As opposed to "FDA approved" Chantix that has been on the market for about as long and linked to suicide, violence and other mental as well as cardiovascular health risks, e-cigarettes have not been linked to a single death or disease.

*Regarding the fact that varenicline (aka Chantix/Champix) has been linked to an increased risk of completed suicide and violence to others, I have to admit that I remain undecided about the underlying ethics of attempting to reduce the harm of tobacco addiction with a drug with side effects that truly may be worse than the disease they were meant to treat: If some people feel that it has truly helped them and improved their life, I would not be inclined to deny them that choice...but even one life lost to a doctor-prescribed drug-induced psychosis is far too many, IMO, and the Chantix death toll is in the hundreds or worse. :|

It always amazes me that for some strange reason you seem to believe that those free from smoking don't wish for others to be free

For some strange reason you seem to believe that those who have been freed from smoking by using a smoke-free alternative don't wish for others to be free unless they are selling something.

& its always implied that people who quit smoking run back to smoking any chance they get

It's not assumed, it is PROVEN that 98.4% of people who use FDA approved nicotine cessation products resume smoking within 20 months after ending treatment. For whatever reason, there will always be some portion of the population who is unable or unwilling to completely stop using recreational nicotine products.

& that if you don't use e cigs as part of your QUIT plan you're doomed.

No one has said that. However, you seem to imply that people who want to use e-cigs as a plan to quit smoking are doomed.

If that was so true then why are their millions thruout the world nic free or is that some big gov't big pharm lie :roll:

Because quitting smoking WITHOUT the help of FDA approved pharmaceuticals is more effective. Nevertheless, 8.6 Million Americans suffer from a chronic disease that is caused or worsened by smoking but remain unable or unwilling to completely quit using tobacco. These people do not need to be told that smoking is dangerous and addictive, they are already addicted and they are already experiencing the harms of smoking--they don't need people to tell them they need to quit, they need a way to stop smoking that doesn't require them to be completely abstinent from nicotine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users