pam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 22 July 2011 - 06:28 AM

Hi there!
I know so many of you on this forum. Nice to see you. I joined the "original community" about 2003. YES, that is how long I have been quitting. I have gone 1mo., 3mos., 6mos., up to 2 years quit. I have tried every method there is. Well, I have never given up hope of being able to quit. I had totally abandoned any thought of coming back here. I happened to be cruising through ECF (of which I am not yet a member). I have been using the electronic cigarette now for over 4 months and it has changed my life. I AM quitting -one milligram at a time. I started in March with 36mg nic. I am now down to 5.
I really don't understand all of the objection with the e-cigs. When I used Chantix, with all its side effects, I was able to quit for 2 years. I so thought I had “arrived”. I did still have to use the psychological and physical "tricks"to quit. The one that comes to mind is… I used to suck on straws with a q-tip in it. The q-tip was dipped in peppermint oil to give me that "fix" I needed in the early stage of the quit. I did give it up and move on with my quit. Very similar to the ecig. That was fine with everyone here.
s*** happens; and I relapsed. However, I still held onto the hope that I would not smoke forever. I left this board when maybe I should have stayed on. Don’t know. What I do know is that whenever I have “popped in” over the last few years, I realized this was the last place to come for support. Honestly, quitting is not a “one size fits all”. The mantras used back in the day, although tried and true for many, just do not work for everyone. They did not work for me. I do think this will. I am so pleased that there is this one section of the board (Thanks, Fred) that I, and many others can feel comfortable with. Cigarettes and smoke kill. Nicotine is an addiction, but on its own, I believe can be overcome. I literally sat on my patio with a lit cigarette in one hand and the e-cig in the other, alternating as I smoked my last cig. It was then that I KNEW I COULD DO THIS. Right now the last thing I want, ever, is a cigarette. I have never felt that before.
I am so proud of all my friends who have successfully quit here. But I wish you would open your mind to other possibilities. Your way is not the only way. Yes, there are some hard core career vapers. My belief is that it is better than smoking so I am happy for them. They need to reside on ECF. I have seen successes quitting altogether using this method. My entire office is now for the most part, nonsmoking. Everyone’s vaping. Some are quitting via that method, others are just enjoying the alternative experience.
Technology has changed all of our lives. Much of it; for the better. It’s a new way to quit smoking. Like… why write a letter when you can email? Why go to the encyclopedia when you can google? Many things are so much easier now, including quitting smoking.
I think it would be beneficial to everyone to accept with an open mind that this can be done. Yes, my grandfather had to walk a mile to school, uphill, in the snow, barefoot, etc….I got to ride a bus, my kids got driven, my grandkids do it online….. get my point?
I have the utmost respect for the early pioneers here and those that followed and their hard earned success. The road they traveled was a hard one. This is a new day and there is a new way :)
I am not selling any product, just an idea that may offer hope to those struggling as I did.
"You haven't failed until you quit trying."

#2 Guest_cigarbabe_*

Guest_cigarbabe_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 July 2011 - 07:38 AM

Thank you Pam for posting your views on your travails with quitting.Posted Image
I truly wish this was a support site but as you said it is not.Posted Image
I am thrilled you have been able to quit with a pv and I do hope everyone will read this post and heed your words of wisdom
"Your way is not the only way."
Halleluiah!
The truth has been spoken! Posted Image
Best wishes to you on your continued success with a pv Pam! Posted Image
C.B.Posted Image

#3 greenlover

greenlover

"REALLY"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,458 posts
  • quitdate:
    12/04/2011
  • LocationLiving with the Amish

Posted 22 July 2011 - 07:50 AM

Yes Pam as a former poster you know EVERYONE has quit method that WORKED for them-even you succeded for awhile but now you found the lastest craze for painless/easy quits-good for you maybe this method will be the one thats gives you that edge to work your quit & succeed. Well in time hopefully this will once again become a quit site people will want to join & be a useful part of.

#4 Guest_cigarbabe_*

Guest_cigarbabe_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 July 2011 - 07:57 AM

Pv's are not "the latest craze".
They have been around for more than eight years and were developed by a doctor to use as an NRT.
Hardly a craze now is it?
C.B.
Posted Image

#5 greenlover

greenlover

"REALLY"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,458 posts
  • quitdate:
    12/04/2011

Posted 22 July 2011 - 08:00 AM

Well I've only seen them advertised on tv for 2 yrs & haven't seen much about them on quit smoking sites so I guess everyone but true users are in the dark about this device.

#6 pvprincess

pvprincess

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 08:17 AM

Yes Pam as a former poster you know EVERYONE has quit method that WORKED for them-even you succeded for awhile but now you found the lastest craze for painless/easy quits-good for you maybe this method will be the one thats gives you that edge to work your quit & succeed. Well in time hopefully this will once again become a quit site people will want to join & be a useful part of.

If it works so much better care to eplain the failed quits thread? Every quit method is somewhat dependant on the quitter. The method that gives the quitter what they (individually) need to succeed is the right method for that individual. And as Pam says there's no one size fits all method.

Just as cold turkey isn't for everyone and I'm sorry its not no matter how many old timers here try to pretend otherwise (and some of them couldn't even do it that way). Neither is the e-cig, the patch, Chantix or any other method.

Many of us have kids have you not noticed that each of your children are different? That the same methods of handling misbehaviors, education ect... don't always work with your son that worked with your daughter or younger son?

Its the same concept.
I lit my last cigarette on April 8th 2011

"The Only way to quit smoking effectively and forever is the DONT SMOKE METHOD" jwg

"Part of the inhumanity of the computer is that, once it is competently programmed and working smoothly, it is completely honest." Isaac Asimov

#7 greenlover

greenlover

"REALLY"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,458 posts
  • quitdate:
    12/04/2011

Posted 22 July 2011 - 08:35 AM

You think??????????????????????????? Just pointing out theirs lots of methods for quitting & each one has it pluses & missus-I'm sure the same can be said for the E cig-theirs good & bad in that. Over the past 12 yrs I've tried just about everything I've heard about & most likely would of jumped on this E cig quit method but until 2 months ago or whatever I knew they existed but thats about it & people used them so they could vap where smokers can't smoke but not heard alot about it being a quit method. Basically to me either you want to quit or you don't & if you have a "loser" attitude of I can't then most likely you won't,for me until I changed my attitude I kept failing but did it stop me from trying no so what I got their eventually. Oh for the record I didn't use Cold Turkey I used Wellburtrin for 6 months :D You know it really doesn't matter what method anyone uses,sure most of us on this website believe in being totally "nic" free,then we also have some E cig people who are like that then we have some that want to keep that nic habit alive & even tho thats not my choice I don't have the right to say your wrong for seeing it that way BUT by the same token you shouldn't rag on me for using Wellburtrin to cut the nic cord with & be over 10 months quit-even some E people think thats great besides my supporters here on the Q board. I may not always be a happy camper with being quit but who in life is ever happy 24/7. I have a sense of pride in making it this far cause ask these guys & they'll tell you how much I was blowing quits & yeah its possible I could of had an easier & faster quit but who knows all we need to worry about is this damn day & quit with would of /should ofs.

#8 pvprincess

pvprincess

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 09:37 AM

You think??????????????????????????? Just pointing out theirs lots of methods for quitting & each one has it pluses & missus-I'm sure the same can be said for the E cig-theirs good & bad in that. Over the past 12 yrs I've tried just about everything I've heard about & most likely would of jumped on this E cig quit method but until 2 months ago or whatever I knew they existed but thats about it & people used them so they could vap where smokers can't smoke but not heard alot about it being a quit method. Basically to me either you want to quit or you don't & if you have a "loser" attitude of I can't then most likely you won't,for me until I changed my attitude I kept failing but did it stop me from trying no so what I got their eventually. Oh for the record I didn't use Cold Turkey I used Wellburtrin for 6 months :D

Please don't try to get smart you're no good at it... There's no need to point that out the OP already did that nor was that what you were doing. You were yet again implyng the e-cig isn't a viable quit method (which it is no matter how long the majority of this board refuses to see it) I don't post here generally but that doesn't mean I don't see yours. You have repeatedly both stated outright and implied that e-cigs can't/don't work so don't try to go all diplomatic now. Its a little late.

I also know you occasionally flip and decide e-cigs might not be the root of all evil but inevitably you flip back and go the other way so spare me.

Oh and I don't believe I commented specifically on YOUR quit method.

"The Only way to quit smoking effectively and forever is the DONT SMOKE METHOD" jwg

"Part of the inhumanity of the computer is that, once it is competently programmed and working smoothly, it is completely honest." Isaac Asimov

#9 renstyle

renstyle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 11:41 AM

If I had made my quit "stick" with CT, I'd be in the CT subforum extolling the virtues of quitting using only willpower. It uses zero money (if you discount things like straws, gum to chew if you need it, etc), and you sure can't beat the positives of ending a deadly habit all on your own!

CT didn't work..... for me. Nor did the wellbutrin. Both are excellent methods to quit smoking, if they work for you. For me they were a "failed experiment".

Thankfully we (well most of us) live in a country where we have choices. Choices are good. Ecigs made quitting easy for me when compared to the decade+ cycle of quitting and starting up again.

This board is all about personal responsibility. Each individual has to make choices for what they do in their own lives. I was responsible enough to know that without something to puff on periodically (for me it's with no nicotine anymore), I'd fall back to the next option: cigarettes. I'm not fooling myself to think that when I'm stressed out I'll be able to just "get by without". That may make me appear weak to some, but I look at it as being cognizant of my makeup as a human being. I'm fine with that, really I am! :)

Justification? Sure it is.

Is there a problem with this? Not really.

Risks to my chosen quit method? Yes.

Risks that would preclude me continuing with my route away from cigs? Nope. :)

To all of those that may read this as a slap in your face, I wish to apologize to you preemptively for an honest MISUNDERSTANDING!

The way that I quit smoking DOES NOT denigrate your method!

#10 pvprincess

pvprincess

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 11:53 AM

See there you hit it this is the e-cig sub forum...This is the place to discuss quitting with ecigs. Now if you want to bring legitimate concerns in here and discuss them that's great and I've seen a few people do that but lately what I see from "non ecig people" threads are uneducated scare tactics. Sure there are risks with vaping. There are risks with driving too doesn't stop million of people from starting their cars daily.

#11 vaping fiore

vaping fiore

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 12:05 PM

Glad to hear Pam,
Good luck to you & your vaping. Keep decreasing nic till you get to 0 nic. It took me about 6 months and I never felt better,I know everyone is different. I noticed a lot of e-cig haters on these boards. Why do they even come into this sub forum? I have met alot of people and help them quit smoking. Everytime I post I get some hater telling me I am trying to sell something. I am just happy helping people find out about Vaping. It was the only method that helped me after trying every available option and I hope to help more people do the same.
Don't Smoke to Die...Vape2Live!

#12 shc

shc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 01:03 PM

+1 Pam Thank you for an inspiring post. Well done. Best of luck and continued success. :D
Posted Image

#13 Deadcat2

Deadcat2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 04:32 PM

Congratulations on your success so far!

And thanks for sharing your story.
Reading them NEVER gets old.
:)

#14 renstyle

renstyle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 04:45 PM

Boy I feel sheepish now, responded to only the "frustrating" part of the OP.

Forgive me, it's Friday!

I'm happy that you were able to wade thru the minefield and discover how great it is to be smoke free!

#15 Dutch

Dutch

Quit date 6/25/08

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,312 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 22 July 2011 - 05:45 PM

Pam, congratulations on finally finding a way to quit smoking. I think it's great that you're using the e-cig to quit cigarettes and reduce your nicotine intake. I think that's what it's all about here. I have no argument whatsoever with this method- or any method- that will help someone with nicotine dependence.

The problem here is not with the people who use e-cigs as a nicotine reduction therapy, but the ones who use them as a nicotine replacement therapy.

Free since June 25, 2008

#16 Deadcat2

Deadcat2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 06:01 PM

The problem here is not with the people who use e-cigs as a nicotine reduction therapy, but the ones who use them as a nicotine replacement therapy.

If anyone here was discussing that as an option, wouldn't they be banned?

#17 renstyle

renstyle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 08:33 PM

If anyone here was discussing that as an option, wouldn't they be banned?

The tough part is that BOTH of those terms are accurate for what an ecig does. Fred's word "EVENTUAL" is wide ranging and can mean totally different things to different people. You can use ecigs to reduce nicotine, and you can use them as a replacement for cigs, as long as in the back of your head you are EVENTUALLY going to let it all peter out (no pun intended).

Ecigs were my cigarette replacement therapy. I quit nicotine as an afterthought, to test a theory.

To some on this board, that also equates to nicotine replacement in all cases. There have been several examples of where is is NOT the case, and honestly beside the point.

Get an individual off the smokes, regardless of how the nicotine question is handled up front. I am certainly not going to dissuade anybody who wishes to leave nicotine, but I am far more concerned with smoke. Those that have the burden of smoke lifted from their shoulders and lungs can tackle the nicotine on it's own. It's much easier that way. I can speak from experience (which for me was a total non-event honestly).

There could be a huge discussion about the OTHER chemicals in cigs which the body has craving for. There are MANY out in the wild that are "hooked" on MAOI's, which is a big reason why NRT never worked for them before, and ecigs only provide part of the solution. Basically the nicotine was NOT the reason they truly wanted to smoke, it was something entirely different in the cocktail which was fulfilling that need.

#18 Stephanie

Stephanie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,108 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 22 July 2011 - 08:43 PM

uneducated scare tactics

Are you a nicotine scholar???????????? Grrrrrrrrrrrr it never ends.

ya see Pam, good to see you by the way and I would love ya no matter how you quit, these arrogant tactics the ecig nazis use, are what make me feel close minded about ecigs, so many of them are mean!

Again, good to see you and I hope it works for you and you find the freedom you have been seeking for a long time.

Steph
:D
We are all Brothers
None goes his way alone
What we bring into the lives of others
Comes back into our own

my first free moment was 10/18/05 at 11:58 pm.
a very fine moment, and I did not even know it then.

#19 pam

pam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 23 July 2011 - 03:51 AM

Thank you all. I do sincerely feel this is working for me - more strongly than with any other strategy I used. My best to you all! Keep on keepin' on......whatever it takes! There are many routes to the final destination............see you there! :)
"You haven't failed until you quit trying."

#20 drseuss

drseuss

Bad-ass Quitter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,143 posts
  • LocationWashington DC

Posted 23 July 2011 - 04:08 AM

Congrats Pam! If it gets you there, good on ya!

To me, the real goal of quitting smoking and nicotine is to find a method that beats death as the "eventual" quit method.

Congrats again!

-doc
“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” ~~ Theodor Seuss Geisel (1904 - 1991)

Quit Date 12/31/2006
Nicotine Free Since 1/30/2007

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users