26 replies to this topic

#1 shc

shc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 01:19 AM

My first quit was in March 1971. I remember because it was my 21st birthday. I made it two weeks cold turkey. From that point on I would try to quit at least once a year even when the last quit ended in failure. When the nicotine gum came on the market I tried that. Pills, same story. Patches, same story. On and on and on I would try anything. Nothing worked for more than a month…until… In 2000 I had a heart attack and left the hospital tobacco free, cold turkey. I had no withdrawal symptoms and didn’t really think about it. I was just happy to be alive and since I was restricted from driving a car I was somewhat isolated. That lasted three months until I had to take my wife to the emergency room one day and I smelled a cigarette burning in the parking lot. In 2006 I was diagnosed with COPD. Back to the gum, patches, support groups, etc. Nothing worked. Stress was always my weakness and a cigarette was always an easy fix and as close as a 7-11.
How stupid could I have been? Very…Weak? Absolutely…Overpowered? With out a doubt. If a heart attack and COPD wouldn’t scare me into quitting I don’t know what could.

I now have a fleet of doctors and all of them tell me what I already know, QUIT SMOKING. Since I’ve tried every prescription and method they could give me and had no success I was on my last legs and resigned to the fact that I was facing a miserable existence for the rest of my life.

That was my life fourteen months ago. After forty years of trying I did find a way to quit smoking. I found vapor. The same sensation of a smoking inhale was all it took to get me off the cigarettes and onto vapor from the very first day I tried it. For me it has been a miracle. ALL of my doctors are very supportive and the medical tests I have undergone since my quit are showing remarkable results. For the past year my BP has been a steady 110/90 give or take 5 points.

Nicotine. ALL of my doctors would prefer that nicotine was not part of the equation but they also agree that with my history some nicotine in my system is acceptable if it will keep me from smoking. The plan has been to gradually reduce the nicotine strength until I hit levels that might take away the inhale sensation which for me is the key. I have no idea what that level will be. Hopefully it will be zero but I will not jeopardize my quit if it isn’t.

I just wanted share my experience with folks that are in the situation I was in and maybe give them some hope that it’s not to late. I do appreciate that the main thrust of this site is to help people to quit smoking. If any of you have a hand in saving just one life you are a hero in my book. Keep up the good work.
Posted Image

#2 dls46711

dls46711

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,698 posts
  • LocationSouth Texas

Posted 13 June 2011 - 01:47 AM

I will paste this and send it to my mother. thank you.
Diane

April 15th, 2009 is the day i became free!

If i agree with you, than we'll both be wrong...Steven Tyler

Copy That?

#3 Stephanie

Stephanie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,095 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 13 June 2011 - 02:37 AM

I like information that is the real experience of the member..that is how we have always rolled.

Steph
:D
We are all Brothers
None goes his way alone
What we bring into the lives of others
Comes back into our own

my first free moment was 10/18/05 at 11:58 pm.
a very fine moment, and I did not even know it then.

#4 SimplySimon

SimplySimon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 02:40 AM

Welcome, and thank you.

THat is a moving story, and one I think we can all learn from. Good luck as your story continues.

One thing I hope we can learn (not just on this board, but as a society) is that there are many different addictions. As many as there are individual addicts.

There isn't going to be a one size fits all solution.

Best,
Simon

#5 Roland

Roland

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 02:45 AM

For me it has been a miracle.

Me too, in fact I see that written quite a lot.
I just issued the following google site specific query:
"a miracle" site:e-cigarette-forum.com

It got 1,300 hits. Not all were people saying their quit was a miracle, of course, but most were.

Cheers
Roland
Posted Image
The data above is for myself and my lovely wife, combined. So far we've spent about $1.2K on e-cig supplies.

#6 Deadcat2

Deadcat2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 02:49 AM

It got 1,300 hits. Not all were people saying their quit was a miracle, of course, but most were.

Cheers
Roland

I Googled the same site specific search using the words Nobel Prize and got 69 hits.
Many people feel strongly that the inventor of electronic cigarettes (Hon Lik) should get a Nobel Prize.

And yes, they truly are miracles to so many people.

#7 Misday

Misday

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 03:21 AM

Cheers
Roland

I Googled the same site specific search using the words Nobel Prize and got 69 hits.
Many people feel strongly that the inventor of electronic cigarettes (Hon Lik) should get a Nobel Prize.

And yes, they truly are miracles to so many people.

Agreed I am one of them. This invention ranks right up there with the internet for me.
A taste for irony has kept more hearts from breaking than a sense of humor, for it takes irony to appreciate the joke which is on oneself.

Jessamyn West

#8 Guest_cigarbabe_*

Guest_cigarbabe_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 June 2011 - 12:52 AM

It was also a miracle for me.
I was a 2 pack a day smoker for whom none of the traditional ways worked.
No more COPD or Asthma no more wheezing hacking bloody coughing not being able to walk barely at all and worst of all no stamina for sex. :lol:
I would be far too winded even doing nothing.
I was blessed to have found a friend who showed me what he was doing and how it worked for him.
Oh happy day! :mrgreen:
C.B.Posted Image

#9 renstyle

renstyle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 12:09 PM

It took me some time to tack it down as well, but the "ritual' itself is the part I find most pleasing.

I've been experimenting with zero nic juice with my ecig, and with decent throat hit from mint/menthol or PGA, it is enough for me to not desire the "feel" of nicotine. My ecig has turned out to be less hassle than my cell phone, and I've left it home for several trips the past few days to ensure that I wouldn't have a panic attack if it wasn't there (the ecig that is, wife won't let me leave home w/o a cell, deer country you know).

BTW: I kissed a veteran today (grandfather's b-day)

#10 SharonC

SharonC

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 12:56 PM

This post has been very helpful for me. I think I am also one of the people who need the "inhale"....I've quit many times, and I can get past the cravings, no problem. It's the sit down, relax, inhale that I miss SO much. I'm going to try the Electronic cigarette...

#11 shc

shc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 01:38 PM

*Changed title. Old one was just not clear enough.
Posted Image

#12 Curvychic

Curvychic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 05:47 PM

Great story! Keep doing whatever works for you!!

On a side note....I've stayed away for quite some time....hoping things would've settled down by now. All I can say is wow!!! Even with "our" own little room, people who have chosen to use ecigs to quit smoking are still being attacked and flamed. And it's being allowed! That is just tragic.....
I have been tobacco free since April 13, 2011. I am an ecig supporter, but most importantly, I support people! :D
The problem to be faced is: how to combine loyalty to one's own tradition with reverence for different traditions.
- Abraham Joshua Heschel

#13 Misday

Misday

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 02:11 PM

Great story! Keep doing whatever works for you!!

On a side note....I've stayed away for quite some time....hoping things would've settled down by now. All I can say is wow!!! Even with "our" own little room, people who have chosen to use ecigs to quit smoking are still being attacked and flamed. And it's being allowed! That is just tragic.....

You noticed that too huh?
A taste for irony has kept more hearts from breaking than a sense of humor, for it takes irony to appreciate the joke which is on oneself.

Jessamyn West

#14 vaping fiore

vaping fiore

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 08:46 PM

SHC-Great story. I am glad you found something that finally worked. I was a 2 pack a day smoker for over 20 years And it was the only thing that has helped me also. Don't smoke to die...Vape2Live!

#15 Guest_CrazyWeimLady_*

Guest_CrazyWeimLady_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 July 2011 - 09:37 PM

The electronic cigarette worked for me in two ways.

First, I was able to quit smoking the first day I received it. I flet better almost instantly, my chest felt lighter, my nose cleared, my sense of taste returned, I didn't smell smoke on my hair or clothes anymore, and I didn't feel like I was killing my dogs with every exhale of smoke.

Second, after 40+ years of smoking, I have finally been able to get my husband make an honest attempt at quitting. He has been smoke free for four days and doing well. He had a few moments the first few days where he really wanted a cigarette, but when I asked if he wanted to buy a pack of cigarettes he said no. I am so proud of him, and so grateful that this device exists and is working for him to help him quit.

#16 shc

shc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 05:43 PM

I just wanted to give an update. I went to my Pulmonologist last week for a check up. The first time he saw me I was still smoking and his assessment of my condition was extremely grim. I am very proud to tell you that he was delighted with my progress and happy that I finally found a way to quit smoking. All of my test showed improvement and I am feeling better than I ever have since I was a child. I am very grateful that my health has taken such a dramatic turn. Good luck to you all.
Posted Image

#17 MrsTerriJane

MrsTerriJane

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 01:41 AM

oh thank you for the update. that is wonderful, wonderful news. keep us posted..we are so proud of you.

#18 Inquistadora

Inquistadora

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 01:50 AM

Assuming you took on average 10 minutes each to smoke the analogs, you have also regained 87 days! That is over TWO MONTHS of life back that you would have wasted smoking. Isn't it GREAT?

#19 MrsTerriJane

MrsTerriJane

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 03:03 AM

wow..i never thought about the time factor. That is awesome. Time is the one thing I never have enough of...now that's a motivator for me. Thanks!

#20 Inquistadora

Inquistadora

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 04:01 AM

yw. For me, the time factor is primary. I haven't quit yet, but I'm down to 2/3 of my normal smoking rate on my really bad days and 1/3 or less on good days. Just even that has freed me up so much. I really value my extra time right now in the short dark days of winter. I can't wait until all my time is MY time!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users